Can Bandai get Mega Man off the F***ING moon?

Hypershell · 16810

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #50 on: October 17, 2012, 12:49:24 AM
For once I agree with Ladd.  Also, any figure to bear Dynamo's name needs to be indestructible.  If it's not functional after being blown up 10 times, it cannot bear Dynamo's name.

I guess they figured conventions would be a good place to poll, since they're hitting the collector demograph?  Pisses me off that I was there Sunday and I missed that, but oh well.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: October 17, 2012, 02:31:05 AM
At NYCC, we can vote on which series we want to see more D-Arts of. Choices are Classic, X, and Legends.

*crosses fingers*

I love how updates regarding this stuff is put in the Models and Figures thread by me (Which you should all read more often, seriously its like a ghost town.) and in here by whoever here sees it first but not in the M&F page. :P

Anyway, hoping for Legends for Roll, or X for Alia, or Classic for Classic Roll.

Really I just want more females.

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
  • Blow up! We want to blow up this area.
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: October 17, 2012, 05:08:17 AM
For once I agree with Ladd.  Also, any figure to bear Dynamo's name needs to be indestructible.  If it's not functional after being blown up 10 times, it cannot bear Dynamo's name.

I guess they figured conventions would be a good place to poll, since they're hitting the collector demograph?  Pisses me off that I was there Sunday and I missed that, but oh well.
Oh you know deep down inside this isn't the first time we've agreed. Search your feelings. We both love X6, right? That is you, right? The guy that loves X6?

Anyway, hoping for Legends for Roll, or X for Alia, or Classic for Classic Roll.

This reminds me of Grandma's Boy.

FEELS  ;^;Which has the massive scrotums?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #53 on: October 17, 2012, 06:24:24 AM
Oh you know deep down inside this isn't the first time we've agreed. Search your feelings. We both love X6, right? That is you, right? The guy that loves X6?
Hey I like it too. one of my favorites, along X4 and X3 (X4, X6, X3, in that order)

Also, [tornado fang] I never thought of it. I DO want a Dynamo figure. That Sunnuvabitch is too awesome not to get one.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: October 17, 2012, 07:56:38 PM
The NYCC poll favoured X.

There's a huge demand for Legends (mostly Volnutt and Tron), and Bandai wants to start on a Legends line, but no. They need more feedback for some reason.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: October 17, 2012, 10:30:31 PM
Maybe it's because Legends is nowhere near as universally popular as Classic or X?

I don't get your attitude of "for some reason".

I loved Legends, I signed onto the Facebook page, and I'd buy a Legends 3, but even I can see that it is not as popular as Classic or X, which are more mainstream.

Legends was never as popular as them, and it shows, when they never did well in the first place. Only during the following decade did it gain a cult following amongst the Mega Man fanbase.

The key there- is amongst the Mega Man fanbase. I have friends who are not Mega Man "fans" like me, but do like Classic and X. Particularly X. They have never played Legends, and the didnt like it's dungeon crawler format above the more fast paced action platform X series.

Legends is not as popular as you think it is. It gets hype, but not actual caring support. People in the gaming community align themselves with mega Man fans against Capcom's cancelling of L3, and the fan efforts, not because they all love Legends, but out of empathy for their fellow gamers and such a classic franchise being treated they way it does by the company. They will jump on the legends bandwagon, but give them a poll as to what figures they are more likely to buy, and they will pick Classic or X, depending on how much exposure to the franchise they have. (people with less exposure are likely to choose classic, and may think he and X are the same character. People with a bit more might have played X1 on the SNES, and pick that.)

I hate to sound like a dick, but seriously. People need to get over their perceived "huge" demand of the series. There is not as much actual demand as you think there is. There is SUPPORT, but not all of that support is demand. It's just people who support the fanbase against the way Capcom Treated them and the franchise.

As far as Bandai waning to do Legends, that means they will do Legends. No need to despair or get angry over poll results. It just means you have to wait a little longer.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: October 18, 2012, 12:10:35 AM
I was thinking something like "if the demand's there, why not try releasing something Legends-related alongside the X stuff?"/"Why did the NYCC poll trump all the Facebook talk?"

Legends is not as popular as you think it is. It gets hype, but not actual caring support.

I'm sorry, but that statement is at least 50% bullshit. There is plenty of genuine support; it's not fair to write it all off as "empty hype".

People need to get over their perceived "huge" demand of the series. There is not as much actual demand as you think there is. There is SUPPORT, but not all of that support is demand.

Mind explaining how the Legends fans are supposed to show the demand's there if there is literally nothing on the market to help demonstrate that demand? (Cameos aside, but those don't really mean much)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #57 on: October 18, 2012, 12:31:50 AM
I don't know. But that's the way it is. Thats why it's so tricky to release Legends stuff. They cant tell how much of the support are actual sales. Its the reason they figured a Comicon poll would do the trick, since if you have the money to buy tickets and visit their booth, you more than likely are willing to buy a figure. Anyone can vote in a facebook poll.

But in the end, the poll had X come out on top, due to the hype surrounding the current D-Arts figures, and the showcase ones.

Also, it's a risk to release legends alongside the X, because again, they dont know how many people will actually buy.  They know for sure people will buy X, and they know that people will bu a Classic Rock. They Don't know however, for sure that a Trigger figure will sell as well. Keep in mind they would have to prototype, make molds, etc etc, make a whole bunch of figures, and if they dont sell well, they used money on it that they didnt make back.

I dont know how their system works... You or someone should pose them the question on why. I mean, seems like a good idea, no? make a very small limited run to test the waters? Im assuming that they dont because they dont know for sure it would sell and if it doesnt they will have wasted money on development costs, but I'm not them, so I can only offer an opinion.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #58 on: October 18, 2012, 01:03:03 AM
My point exactly (because from what I remember, movies like twilight *shrug* have a cult following, but not really popular to begin with), and if I remember, didin't their earlier models feel too bulky? I'm willing to bet that Drill Arm Rockman wouldn't hold it's support on it's own when posed (due to the drill being well, huge). Maybe they just need a little more time to find that balance.

In the meantime? X won the poll, but Classic and "Zegro" (my name for the black zero fake/armor for tl;dr reasons) are already being made, with the possibility of a statue of the titular sigma. It's quite possible that Sigma might get converted into figure format with swappable heads, or my previous prediction of an Iris D-Arts figure, now that she has the proper structure seen in PXZ.

Don't get me wrong, but I felt the designs were a bit too clunky for me during X3-6 (barring X4, I felt that Duff McWhalen would have a hard time standing on his own if he were a figure due to his ridiculous design).

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #59 on: October 18, 2012, 04:31:11 AM
Touche.  X6 is my favorite main-series X game (my favorite X game including all side-stories is Xtreme2; X4 ranks in a solid third).

I'm all for more Mega-gals (heck, outside of Legends, my next most wanted character would be Iris), but on Classic Roll, I kinda wish Bandai would stay away from redundancy with Kotobukiya.  That's why D-Arts Rock is kinda low on my priority list.  I mean, yeah, they threw in Rush and a Met, which is awesome, but still.

Mind explaining how the Legends fans are supposed to show the demand's there if there is literally nothing on the market to help demonstrate that demand? (Cameos aside, but those don't really mean much)

That's the real clincher, isn't it?  It's not very often I find myself arguing against Flame, but all this talk of "support vs. demand" and whether sales will be greater or lesser than the perceived support, is pure conjecture.  Nobody outside of Japan (and even that was only in the most minimal and unambitious methods possible) has put a theory in either direction to the test for the last 12 years, and dismissing any such potential demand based solely on guesswork gets irritating very, very quickly.

I also don't necessarily buy into the theory that NYCC better connects with Mega Man fans.  I get why people would think that, but here's the thing: I was there.  Do you know how many "visible" Mega Man fans I met?  Three.  One passed by with a simple hello, and the other two I talked to long enough to know that they supported Legends, and owned a couple of semi-niche Legends products that net a couple hundred bucks on eBay these days.

Mega Man is in a serious dry spell on Capcom's end, represented at NYCC solely by Bandai themselves (primarily X-series, some Classic) and Archie (Classic series).  The fans know this, and it showed in the audience this year.  The blue bomber's presence was, unsurprisingly, not nearly what it was in either 2010 or 2011.  NYCC 2012 hits the "general gaming/comic" audience, not the Mega Man fanbase, and that such an audience identifies best with Classic and X is only natural.  It's not in the least unreasonable to say that such a demograph would turn out biased; certainly a lot less unreasonable than the constant accusations of Legends bias on the internet based solely on the fact that Get Me Off The Moon exists.  Even among the Mega Man fans who do show, the reality is, Classic and X fans have commercially-backed reasons to attend such conventions.  Legends fans do not.

If anything, maintaining the level of support that Legends has (and no, this didn't start with L3's cancellation) after 12 years of absolutely no official backing says a lot.  X is considered troubled after going through a hiatus for a fraction of that time, and Classic saw official support a mere two years ago.  That Legends can even be compared to those two is worth some consideration in itself.  Compared to the other Mega Man brands, Legends demand is kicking the crap out of all four of its younger and more recently supported siblings (Zero-series Kotobukiya, yeah, that went well), and pretty much anyone with a brain stem could tell that Legends 3 was seriously one-upping Universe in terms of its hype (a trend which continues to this day in their respective revival efforts; if you want to see a game that people only talk about out of general support for the Mega Man series, look up Universe's facebook page).

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
  • Blow up! We want to blow up this area.
    • View Profile
Reply #60 on: October 18, 2012, 06:56:13 AM
Touche.  X6 is my favorite main-series X game (my favorite X game including all side-stories is Xtreme2; X4 ranks in a solid third).
I know.

FEELS  ;^;Which has the massive scrotums?