Mighty No. 9

Nexus · 258945

Offline Saber

• King of Knights
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「Archetype Hero」
    • View Profile
Reply #750 on: December 18, 2013, 10:04:29 PM
Also hypocrites too with the whole 'censoring' spiel.

Since when has the German word "Spiel" penetrated the English language? Or is this totally unrelated to the German word for "Game" and I just missed it so far?

---

On a different matter: I already attempted to contact the people in charge via Twitter, but it didn't work thus far.

I backed the game via PayPal when that option became available. Other than my "order confirmation" for the game at Humble Bundle, I never heard from them again. I did not get a Mighty Number, no forum access, nothing. Am I not considered a backer because I didn't back the game the "regular" way? My profile on Kickstarter itself also doesn't list any backed projects, so I'm somewhat worried.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #751 on: December 18, 2013, 10:14:33 PM
I may have spelt it wrong since we don't use it for game.

It basically means, how do I put this, rant or trying to persuade another side that we right and their wring or something.  Really it's one of those words that you hear a lot but I don't particularly know what it means.  Can someone who knows the English language help me here?

EDIT: Okay I found it in the dictionary

It basically means to speak at a great length about something, which means ranting is an accurate definition.  There's also a definition able salesperson talk, so I guess persuasion is also accurate.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #752 on: December 18, 2013, 10:28:07 PM
spiel's been used here for many many many years

i use it quite a bit myself.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #753 on: December 18, 2013, 10:31:53 PM
Yeah it must have been like one of those words we use that gets lost in translation and then means something else entirely.

I remember this one show on History channel, that I can't remember the name of unfortunately, that talks about these sorts of words we adopted in our language.  One in particular I remember was 'Gung Ho' which is Chinese for Teamwork, but here it means being extremely ambitious and driven towards a goal.

Offline Saber

• King of Knights
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「Archetype Hero」
    • View Profile
Reply #754 on: December 18, 2013, 10:43:05 PM
You learn something new every day I guess.

Now, if someone would please also address my problem I wrote about earlier.  :P

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #755 on: December 18, 2013, 11:03:55 PM
PayPal backers are still genuine Mighty Numbers. Case in point: myself.

On the matter of not receiving yours, the kickstarter says the following:
In sending out all the emails for everyone’s Mighty Nos. and forum passwords, we did get a small number of bounce-back emails, so if you still haven’t received your email, please follow these steps:

Check any spam or junk email folders
Be sure you are checking the same email account you used for Kickstarter or PayPal when you backed Mighty No. 9
Add the email address mightyno9@comcept.jp to safe senders or any other method your email can use to guarantee safe passage for our email to you.
Email us at mightyno9@comcept.jp from the same email account you used for your Kickstarter account or PayPal pledge with the subject “Mighty forum email mighty problem." (Note: This email must come from the same email you used to back the project.) Just having your email address will be enough -- we'll try again to get you your info ASAP, starting next week. Thanks for your patience, and sorry for the inconvenience!

Offline Saber

• King of Knights
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「Archetype Hero」
    • View Profile
Reply #756 on: December 18, 2013, 11:24:16 PM
Zan to the rescue!

Thanks a lot, man. I hope I'll hear from them soon.

Offline Mary_Nelson

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #757 on: December 19, 2013, 12:02:43 AM
On paypal backing, mine ended up in my spam folder.

Offline Saber

• King of Knights
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「Archetype Hero」
    • View Profile
Reply #758 on: December 19, 2013, 11:23:42 AM
Got my Mighty Number this morning. So happy!

Mighty No. 42877

On that matter, did the second stage Call voting already take place?

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #759 on: December 19, 2013, 02:38:57 PM
Second stage Call voting will start today. It's scheduled to last up to the 29th of December.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #760 on: December 19, 2013, 02:54:35 PM
Half to get my vote in then, might as well list my number too while I'm at it.

"Mighty No. 29574"

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #761 on: December 19, 2013, 08:13:21 PM
I'm surprised that emails for the backer numbers are STILL being handed out, this late. But they are probably doing it manually, so I can't complain.

The problem with Dina, has moved beyond anything to do with feminism or nepotism/cronyism (she says BF stands for Best Friend, Community is still out to lunch on that one) and her being the link between the community and Comcept really, (for me anyway) isn't technically an issue.

It's more about the way she responded since then. With massive incompetence and not in a very professional way. Which isn't surprising, as she has no experience managing a community. Right now, the problem seems to rotate around censorship criticisms, and favoritism. There hasn't been any kind of real reaction from concept except to try and ride it out and hope they don't lose too much money before December 30. That date being the latest you can get a refund. Ben Judd made a post on the forums, asking for people to be patient, but, and I assume this is because of the refund deadline- The uproar only got worse, since backers who are on the fence on if they should get refunds are getting agitated by whether there will be any kind of real response before December 30, or if they should back out now. people asking for refunds are also being met with Damage control emails telling them to "be patient", that they are assessing the situation, and that "many people have cancelled their refund, let us know if you want to". Some people are forgoing DDM/Comcept entirely, and getting chargebacks, which can damage both parties credit and potentially freeze Comcept's bank account if too many chargebacks occur.

Doesn't help that the CM's supporters are just as toxic as anyone who dislikes her, but while people who are detractors get mod edits and warnings, her "defenders" get none. They are allowed to spew all the vitriol they want.

There are only 2 (community member, non-paid) mods, and they are powerless. Their power extends as far as editing posts, but not opening posts, and they can't do anything else.

Threads deemed "identical content" get locked and redirected to one of two threads, depending on the argument, (there is a general detractor thread, and a general supporter thread) but either of those are just containment threads at this point. It's not like anything posted in them actually gets addressed.

But suddenly, a wild AWD appears! Yup, Dickman himself appeared on the forums and here's how that went down.
[spoiler]

then this happened when people wondered why the thread wasn't locked like the dozens of others.

So blatant favoritism in the works. the thread eventually got locked by Mark from 8-4, who also occasionally browses the forums, since by then, after Dina's refusal to lock the thread, it spiraled downward as you would expect.

here's AWD's tweets following that, by the way

Some people have latched onto that "I was brought by Dina" bit, since he previously mentioned (before his rant) getting a message to be more active in the community. personally, i couldn't say, seems more like he's being overly sarcastic.

For the record, here's a more or less decent summary of the problem

She's also not very good at choosing her words and seems to have a habit of putting her foot in her mouth, such as, when questioned by a member about how we can trust her, given the locks, edits, etc etc, she responded by saying that she isn't concerned if people trust her or not. Obviously, that didn't go over well...

there's this, too...

people were not quite so thrilled with her offhand reply to that.
[/spoiler]

And from there, it's a censorship/favoritism thing people have most issue with. They feel she just is not professional or experienced enough to handle the forums, and I'm inclined to agree with that.

That said, it doesn't help that the forum itself is absolute [parasitic bomb]. It's Drupal, and while I have no experience with it, the current layout is alarmingly bad. There is no quote function, for example- when you reply to a post, your reply appears under that post. You can imagine how that is a bad thing. There's no ability to merge topics, and there is no ability to sticky topics. Forum is still out to lunch on deleting topics, since a few have been deleted, but apparently there is a problem with the forums due to updates being made. They should have gone with IP board or something. The forum layout is DEFINITELY one of the factors in this mess. tensions rise when there's a topic of 10+ pages, and replies are as wonky as they are.

Oh, also, the E media has gotten wind of this and decided to spin it as a misogyny issue, where the evil backers are attacking the CM for being a girl with opinions in their "boys club". (someone actually called it that)

One guy actually emailed Patricia Hernandez of Kotaku. Who then tried to get a statement out of Comcept, 8-4, and Dina. Thankfully, they all declined, and no Kotaku article has popped up yet.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #762 on: December 19, 2013, 08:23:43 PM

Just look at him.

Wakko is [tornado fang]ing done with that place. He's had enough.

Ya'll motherfuckers better move out the way.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #763 on: December 19, 2013, 08:32:22 PM
Ah gamers.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #764 on: December 19, 2013, 08:34:38 PM
This [parasitic bomb] storm must have hit like 10,000 fans to the point that it's a fine purée of hateful bullshit at this point.  This is nothing short of a nightmare and a embarrassment.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #765 on: December 19, 2013, 08:40:33 PM
This [parasitic bomb] storm must have hit like 10,000 fans to the point that it's a fine purée of hateful bullshit at this point.

That's a lovely image.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #766 on: December 19, 2013, 08:43:07 PM
That's a lovely image.
Well it's accurate I think.  It's utterly disgusting, I normally don't care about fan base trivialities like this since it's expected in a lot of fan bases, but this just sickens me. X(

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #767 on: December 19, 2013, 08:53:02 PM
Good god.  And I thought my final MMC days were a shitstorm of drama?  HAH!  This is just absolutely pathetic.

I have to agree with Dickman.  Close the damn forum.  It's terribly formatted and run by an obnoxious drama queen with no sense of proper business practice.

With how much drama is coming in before the game even sees any bit of production and play-testing, I'll be surprised if it even gets off the ground at all.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #768 on: December 19, 2013, 08:56:49 PM
Good god.  And I thought my final MMC days were a shitstorm of drama?  HAH!  This is just absolutely pathetic.

I have to agree with Dickman.  Close the damn forum.  It's terribly formatted and run by an obnoxious drama queen with no sense of proper business practice.

With how much drama is coming in before the game even sees any bit of production and play-testing, I'll be surprised if it even gets off the ground at all.
Yeah I agree the forum should be closed, and the CM is not handling her job too well unfortunately. Poor girl isn't good at calming them down and is making things worse it seems, but honestly this is just out of control.  This sucks.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #769 on: December 19, 2013, 09:01:56 PM
Most of the community agrees that nuking the boards and starting over with better forum software would be an good start. I WISH they would use new Forum software.

Oh, also, every few days, you get people (much like Dickman himself) who come in and make a topic about their "2 cents" without actually researching what the problem is. Most of them have gotten their info from gaming news websites which have spun this as a misogyny case, and therefore, they make fools out of themselves by posting how we should stop hating people just because of gender and all that, and immediately get jumped on by like 10 different people for not having actually read any of the dozens of topics floating around on the matter. One guy actually threw his 2 cents into the detractor thread, obviously without even reading the opening posts that detail the beef.

I get that the forum layout sucks, but that's no excuse to not browse a few topics and see what the core of the issue is before spouting something gotten from gamer sites that have no access to the forums and are running stories based on hearsay.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline megaman24681012

• Toa of Ice
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Shoulda chose a better name.
    • View Profile
Reply #770 on: December 19, 2013, 09:13:15 PM
Ah internet controversy. Nothing but swaths of arrogant, ignorant bickering in the guise of passive aggressive meta-commentary.

Why must it be something Megaman related? We get a bad enough rap as it is.

Kopaka: "That leaves you and I, Tahu Nuva."
Tahu: "No. That leaves only me."

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #771 on: December 19, 2013, 09:18:10 PM
I do think she should be replaced at this point though, she's not doing a good job unfortunately and is ill equipped to handle PR situations.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #772 on: December 19, 2013, 09:18:48 PM
Why must it be something Megaman related? We get a bad enough rap as it is.
/v/ and /vg/ have started calling it "the curse of Capcom".

I'm starting to believe it. Think about it. All these spiritual successors to Capcom IP's? tainted somehow.

Bayonetta? Only getting a sequel because they promised the Wii-U exclusivity.

Wonderful 101? selling  poorly.

And now Mighty No. 9

This [parasitic bomb] is [tornado fang]ing creepy.

I do think she should be replaced at this point though, she's not doing a good job unfortunately and is I'll equipped with PR situations.

i at least, am willing to settle for her remaining as intermediary between the Community annd Comcept, but removing her as an Admin, and taking away her Admin power. That's a compromise I'm willing to swallow. Although ideally, I just want her gone, she's been far too polarizing a figure. I don't want her fired, I'm sure she has talents she can offer elsewhere in the project, but as far as being the head of the community, No.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #773 on: December 19, 2013, 09:19:25 PM

Nah, I still don't see this stopping the game really. As long as the votes and input are there, it shouldn't really hamper actual production.

Man, imagine if I was in charge of that forum? Haha, RANDOM BANNINGS FOR ALL!!!  8D

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #774 on: December 19, 2013, 09:20:51 PM
Nah, I still don't see this stopping the game really. As long as the votes and input are there, it shouldn't really hamper actual production.

Man, imagine if I was in charge of that forum? Haha, RANDOM BANNINGS FOR ALL!!!  8D
Ban everyone! 8D

/v/ and /vg/ have started calling it "the curse of Capcom".

I'm starting to believe it.

i at least, am willing to settle for her remaining as intermediary between the Community annd Comcept, but removing her as an Admin, and taking away her Admin power. That's a compromise I'm willing to swallow. Although ideally, I just want her gone, she's been far too polarizing a figure. I don't want her fired, I'm sure she has talents she can offer elsewhere in the project, but as far as being the head of the community, No.
Yeah I agree with that, I don't want her fired and she can probably help, but not as the head of a community.