Mighty No. 9

Nexus · 256128

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #725 on: December 12, 2013, 11:40:17 PM
The CD-i Zelda games were already a thing.

I'd call them "something" before "a thing"

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #726 on: December 12, 2013, 11:40:42 PM
People are scared of change. That's about it.

Yeah, I guess?  I'd honestly be more afraid (though afraid really isn't the right word) of the game changing rather than characters changing.  They could take out Link, Zelda, Ganon, the Triforce, Master Sword etc and as long as it was the same formulaic >go to dungeons, >get new items, >hitting chickens until they all gang up on you, I'd still say "that was a pretty good Zelda game".

But that's pretty much was MN9 is anyway :3

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #727 on: December 12, 2013, 11:40:58 PM
That's not cannon or officially made by Nintendo though.  Plus would you want to play those games?

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #728 on: December 12, 2013, 11:48:30 PM
Yeah, I guess?  I'd honestly be more afraid (though afraid really isn't the right word) of the game changing rather than characters changing.  They could take out Link, Zelda, Ganon, the Triforce, Master Sword etc and as long as it was the same formulaic >go to dungeons, >get new items, >hitting chickens until they all gang up on you, I'd still say "that was a pretty good Zelda game".

My favorite 3D Zelda game is Majora's Mask, and that only had Link in it!  8D

Offline megaman24681012

• Toa of Ice
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Shoulda chose a better name.
    • View Profile
Reply #729 on: December 12, 2013, 11:49:48 PM

I fail to see how this can ever be used as a compelling argument in any way.

Kopaka: "That leaves you and I, Tahu Nuva."
Tahu: "No. That leaves only me."

Archer

Reply #730 on: December 12, 2013, 11:53:43 PM
I'm just saying they existed and they had Zelda playable. That's a fact, that's all.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #731 on: December 12, 2013, 11:54:24 PM
They certainly did exist, yes!

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #732 on: December 12, 2013, 11:59:12 PM
As for the argument about gender change, it's not that I'm really against it.  I just don't see the point of changing the gender of the main hero when you have a Female counterpart that can do the job as mentioned before such as Zelda or Call.  It doesn't really affect me that much if the hero is male or female to me, and I think we have wide variety of main Female heroes that are represented in games that aren't there for just eye candy such as Samus in the Metroid games, Terra and Celes in FF6 arguably, and Lightning in FF13, even though I find 13 to be kind of dull.

If we had like a female descendant of Link one game I would be fine with it and it would be kind of interesting but I would rather push Zelda to be playable way before making Link female for different gameplay purposes.  

Honestly the gender thing is really not important to me since I don't think a specific gender of the character affects the story unless the game is trying to tell that specific story, and the only example I can remotely think that kind of does that are the Lufia games, specifically Lufia 2 for some reason.

Offline CephiYumi

• RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #734 on: December 13, 2013, 12:33:41 AM
My favorite 3D Zelda game is Majora's Mask, and that only had Link in it!  8D

I do love Majora's Mask :3

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #735 on: December 13, 2013, 12:44:11 AM
I do love Majora's Mask :3

We should get dinner together sometime!  [eyebrow]

Offline CephiYumi

• RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #736 on: December 13, 2013, 12:53:36 AM
To talk about Majora's Mask?  :D

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #737 on: December 13, 2013, 01:21:11 AM
Absolutely!  8)

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #738 on: December 13, 2013, 01:37:53 AM
They certainly did exist, yes!

If I played it (or if it's on the internet), it exists. No arguments here.
http://www.twitch.tv/vixynyan/c/933847
http://www.twitch.tv/vixynyan/c/933870
http://www.twitch.tv/vixynyan/c/963145
http://www.twitch.tv/vixynyan/c/963149

Also.

Quote from: VIX
Basically this person wanted the "main character" Beck to be female. But the better solution for this is to make Call a playable character. Problem solved~

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #739 on: December 13, 2013, 02:51:12 AM
I've been pushing for Playable Zelda for a long time. Some mofo's need light arrows up their ass! XD

Exactly. You'd think with the way that Zelda has been a staple badass in Smash for over a decade, as well as the fact that they've done quite a bit to make her more than just the typical "barrier maiden" that's crucial to Ganon's plans? That eventually making her someone who could be fighting by Link's side every step of the way on his journey would have happened by now (and hopefully, in a much better form than what was done in Spirit Tracks, where she was STILL AFRAID OF A MOUSE).

And if not her, certainly someone to the tune of Nabooru, Midna, Impa or "Tetra". Only perhaps playable, this time.

I or someone else may have said this a while ago, but it's always funny to me that the old cartoon had a far more progressive depiction of Zelda than any official game has had, as of yet! 8D

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #740 on: December 13, 2013, 04:35:28 AM
Exactly. You'd think with the way that Zelda has been a staple badass in Smash for over a decade, as well as the fact that they've done quite a bit to make her more than just the typical "barrier maiden" that's crucial to Ganon's plans? That eventually making her someone who could be fighting by Link's side every step of the way on his journey would have happened by now (and hopefully, in a much better form than what was done in Spirit Tracks, where she was STILL AFRAID OF A MOUSE).

And if not her, certainly someone to the tune of Nabooru, Midna, Impa or "Tetra". Only perhaps playable, this time.

I or someone else may have said this a while ago, but it's always funny to me that the old cartoon had a far more progressive depiction of Zelda than any official game has had, as of yet! 8D

I wasn't that big on Spirit Tracks, sadly.

That show was clearly ahead of its time! XD

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #741 on: December 17, 2013, 06:59:56 AM
i'll drop this here

http://theicult.tumblr.com/

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Mary_Nelson

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #742 on: December 18, 2013, 12:07:48 PM
Video go me pretty worried.

Then I checked my dashboard and got this: http://lightondrumsrollonkeyboard.tumblr.com/post/70234922772

It's long but the short version is that the guy that made the video is doing a smear campaign leaving out half the facts to make her look bad. She beat a few of the games before starting her job, she's got decent video game industry qualifications, and she didn't ask to have Beck's gender changed she just wanted an option to play as a female Beck if you wanted. Or a Beck of a different ethnicity if that appealed to you.

I'm really unhappy about this because the video gave me the wrong idea and I said some things I shouldn't have because I'd been tricked by it. She's still not the Community Moderator of my dreams, but my concerns have been alleviated and I feel like a fool for taking that video's word for what's true.

"Half the truth is often a great lie."

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #743 on: December 18, 2013, 01:47:57 PM
Since people's original problems with Dina have all been addressed (inexperience, design role, nepotism, political agenda), the issue has shifted to one of censorship.

See, the forums suffered a topic influx of massive proportions, from both detractors and defenders. Many threads deserved a lock in an effort to keep everything nice and organized. However, those threads then spawned even more counter and repeat threads also locked in turn.

I don't know what people expected, though. No forum allows that level of flood posting. At the end of the day, clashing with forum administration about this gets you nowhere.

...Hope renewed Call voting tomorrow will calm the situation.

Offline megaman24681012

• Toa of Ice
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #744 on: December 18, 2013, 08:09:48 PM
Holy cow. Turn my back for a few days and suddenly the Internet is set ablaze by something else megaman related.

What the heck is going on? From my understanding some moderator on the MN9 forums mentioned she wanted a female Beck in the game playable in some form. And it somehow spiraled into another INTERWEBZ ARGUMENTZ OF FEMINIZMZ.

Wat. Internet level with me, do you guys go out of your way to tear apart the feminist theory?

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #745 on: December 18, 2013, 08:14:59 PM
Holy cow. Turn my back for a few days and suddenly the Internet is set ablaze by something else megaman related.

What the heck is going on? From my understanding some moderator on the MN9 forums mentioned she wanted a female Beck in the game playable in some form. And it somehow spiraled into another INTERWEBZ ARGUMENTZ OF FEMINIZMZ.

Wat. Internet level with me, do you guys go out of your way to tear apart the feminist theory?
Kind of late there, never really cared cause I knew it was not a big deal and really nothing would change. 

Offline megaman24681012

• Toa of Ice
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #746 on: December 18, 2013, 08:20:26 PM
Oh, well this is awkward then. I guess the problem solved itself then. BACK TO LURKING!

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #747 on: December 18, 2013, 08:22:55 PM
Honestly people care way too much about 'muh nostalgia and muh childhood ruined foevarrr gahhhhh!'  Seriously this entire situation was nothing short of disgusting and the community should be ashamed.

Offline Mary_Nelson

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #748 on: December 18, 2013, 09:17:30 PM
Oh, well this is awkward then. I guess the problem solved itself then. BACK TO LURKING!

Basically we got a new community manager, a few people decided they hated her enough that before she even started her job they went through her old tweets and comments, and they screencapped things that looked really scary if you didn't see what she said next. So everyone flooded the forums scared and comcept tried to reassure everyone that things were fine and the fears were baseless... but they had to lock a lot of new threads and tell people to look for the answers to their questions in old threads (that they linked to)...

And now some people hate her for being "a thread-locking Nazi censor".

Sigh.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #749 on: December 18, 2013, 09:21:47 PM
Yeah glad I'm not in that forum, too many irrational people would make my head hurt.  Also hypocrites too with the whole 'censoring' spiel.