Super Mario Collection (aka Allstars) slated to return soon

HokutoNoBen · 10999

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Details about this were leaked from a Nintendo retailer conference.

...The big news appears to be that Nintendo will be releasing "Super Mario Collection Special Pack" for Wii. This is a revival of Super Famicom's Super Mario Collection, known in the West as Super Mario All-Stars.

The "special pack" part of the name comes from the bonus item Nintendo will be including. The item, known as "Super Mario History 1985 - 2010," includes a booklet recapping 25 years of Mario history and showing previously unseen development materials, and a soundtrack CD with music spanning Super Mario Bros. through Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Super Mario Collection Special Pack is set for October 21 release at ¥2,500.

- http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/09/02/super_mario_allstars_wii/

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 05:31:24 PM
Want~!! I'm adding that together with my own flagjp Super Mario Collection (SFC). >U<

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 05:36:22 PM
It'd better be the "And World" version. That's all I care about. Any thing else (like adding in Yoshi's Island) would just be the icing on the cake.  8D

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 05:37:10 PM
I hope it brings Doki Doki Panic.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 05:41:56 PM
It'd better be the "And World" version. That's all I care about. Any thing else (like adding in Yoshi's Island) would just be the icing on the cake.  8D

Of couse~ Yoshi's Island series are prequels after all. :3

Can't wait to get this.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 05:56:25 PM
Of couse~ Yoshi's Island series are prequels after all. :3

Can't wait to get this.

I don't need the entire series. Just the first and best one. Besides, on the other hand, Yoshi's Island isn't on the VC (and doesn't look to be any time soon, for the same reason the original Star Fox won't = emulation imperfections). Such a thing should be rectified now, while they have a clear and present opportunity.

Bonus points will be awarded if Nintendo FINALLY gives those of us who decided to skip over that inane "e-Reader" thing, and allows us to play those levels that came with the Mario 3: Advance 4.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 05:59:54 PM
Yeah, here's hoping!

I'm really hoping for the CD soundtrack.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 06:06:01 PM
Bonus points will be awarded if Nintendo FINALLY gives those of us who decided to skip over that inane "e-Reader" thing, and allows us to play those levels that came with the Mario 3: Advance 4.

In the meantime, you could always use a flash card and play those levels as much as you want on your GBA/DS. ^^b

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 06:14:50 PM
In the meantime, you could always use a flash card and play those levels as much as you want on your GBA/DS. ^^b

Yeah...but I wouldn't mind actually paying for a legit means to play those levels. It was just that I was NOT going to pay, much less search for those damn cards in various Walmarts and Circuit City. 8D

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 10:07:12 AM
They're fun! ^.^

Also, awesome news right here!

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 05:44:42 PM

I liked the E-reader. :( Sure the cards were tedious and annoying to scan through after the thing somehow gets something inside of it. But it was still a fun accessory.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 10:26:08 PM
(and doesn't look to be any time soon, for the same reason the original Star Fox won't = emulation imperfections)

I'm curious, prior to the announcement of Super Mario RPG, what indication was there that "emulation imperfections" did not prevent SA-1 games from appearing?

I call bullshit on Super FX "emulation flaw" speculation as it is most likely a reversal of cause and effect.  There is no reason for Nintendo's VC emulator to support VC games that do not exist.  That by no means indicates that the emulator cannot be updated as the library is.  Hell, Star Fox 64 went through a couple of post-VC-release revisions for emulation quality.

I'll raise you one and award further bonus points if Nintendo supplies the unreleased e-Reader features.  More levels, switch effects, and (very unwieldy) Boomerangs, currently possible only through 3l33t hacking or printing out dot patterns at home.  There are as many unreleased new stages are there are released ones.

In fact, if you count all of the unreleased and promotional levels together, there are more e-Reader levels than SMA4 can actually hold (whoops!).

Yeah, here's hoping!

I'm really hoping for the CD soundtrack.
Amen.  I *REALLY* want this to come to the U.S., but Nintendo has a tendency to shaft us when it comes to soundtracks (notice the absence of any CDs whatsoever on Club Nintendo... O:< ).

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 10:48:28 PM
Yeah, I know!

Offline SUIKA

• Robot Master
  • It's a good thing I exist.
    • View Profile
    • IDC
Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 01:23:23 PM
I will be buying this.

Can this be the official Super Mario 25th Anniversary thread?

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 01:38:44 PM
So, any word on what the whole thing contains exactly?

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 06:29:56 PM

...DAT GAME THAT COULD HAVE BEEN RELEASED AS A 5-BUCK ROM

Considering the Super Famicom version of Super Mario Collection still fetches about 40-50 USD USED in Japan, this re-packaging + niceties selling for basically 25-30 bucks is actually a "deal" in many ways.

Besides, this collection is mainly for the Japanese public who got turned onto "Mario Mania" thanks to last year's NSMBW, but are largely unaware, or otherwise don't use the Virtual Console. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if NoA relegated this package (or just the game disc) as a Club Nintendo exclusive. 

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 06:34:31 PM
Considering the Super Famicom version of Super Mario Collection still fetches about 40-50 USD USED in Japan, this re-packaging + niceties selling for basically 25-30 bucks is actually a "deal" in many ways.

Besides, this collection is mainly for the Japanese public who got turned onto "Mario Mania" thanks to last year's NSMBW, but are largely unaware, or otherwise don't use the Virtual Console. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if NoA relegated this package (or just the game disc) as a Club Nintendo exclusive. 
It's still Nintendo making a quick and cheap buck with a game that will sell alot and porting stuff aside, likely took ZERO DEVELOPMENT TIME.

Unless this actually brought a Super Famicom version of the game with it, of course.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 06:36:46 PM

...DAT GAME THAT COULD HAVE BEEN RELEASED AS A 5-BUCK ROM

A $5 rom wouldn't come with the soundtrack of all Mario games + artbook though. Or the awesome package.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 07:35:33 PM
It's still Nintendo making a quick and cheap buck with a game that will sell alot and porting stuff aside, likely took ZERO DEVELOPMENT TIME.

Unless this actually brought a Super Famicom version of the game with it, of course.

Well, with all due respect, what was to be expected for like 2500 JPY as the asking price? This is basically as much in the way of a "budget pack cash in" as the Zelda Collector's disc for GC years ago, with the only real difference being that (at least for the JP side), you can't opt to just send in points/proof of purchase to redeem for the package deal; you actually have to pay out of pocket this time.

To me, the only sad thing is that this isn't the "+World" package, and apparently Yoshi's Island doesn't "count" enough as a Mario game to even be considered for such a thing like this.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 09:35:33 PM
Well, with all due respect, what was to be expected for like 2500 JPY as the asking price? This is basically as much in the way of a "budget pack cash in" as the Zelda Collector's disc for GC years ago, with the only real difference being that (at least for the JP side), you can't opt to just send in points/proof of purchase to redeem for the package deal; you actually have to pay out of pocket this time.

To me, the only sad thing is that this isn't the "+World" package, and apparently Yoshi's Island doesn't "count" enough as a Mario game to even be considered for such a thing like this.

A pack-in with TWO N64 games which basically can't be played right anywhere else since emulation for Majora's Mask is a nightmare (Back then, the thing crashed pretty much on every single day passing, and playing that with a keyboard's insanity. It's not just a two or three-button controller) is very different from a stand-alone game you have to PAY for. Nintendo intended the last one as a bonus. This? This is something that was already available as a game years and years ago. And they're selling it again, no changes.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 10:00:22 PM
A pack-in with TWO N64 games which basically can't be played right anywhere else since emulation for Majora's Mask is a nightmare (Back then, the thing crashed pretty much on every single day passing, and playing that with a keyboard's insanity. It's not just a two or three-button controller) is very different from a stand-alone game you have to PAY for. Nintendo intended the last one as a bonus. This? This is something that was already available as a game years and years ago. And they're selling it again, no changes.

I still don't see the difference. The only thing separating the Zelda Collector's Edition from this Mario Collection re-dux is the means that had to be done to acquire it.

But whether you got the Zelda one as a pack-in with a GC, renewing a subscription to your region's Nintendo magazine, or sending in proofs of purchase from select GC games, you STILL had to provide Nintendo with some matter of money to get at the goods. Just like what you have to do for the sake of this Mario Collection. Arguably more, considering the cheapest option was often the Nintendo magazine subscription at some 20 clams (+tax).

So, what's it gonna be? 4 Games (which you played years and years ago) that you get on a disc as part of a "Rewards Program" that requires you to spend some matter of money any way to get access to it? Or 4 games (which you played years and years ago) that you get on a disc for a flat, fairly budgeted price range at retail? Choice is yours, but again, they all boil down to doing a lot to being the same thing.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 10:33:03 PM
I still don't see the difference. The only thing separating the Zelda Collector's Edition from this Mario Collection re-dux is the means that had to be done to acquire it.

But whether you got the Zelda one as a pack-in with a GC, renewing a subscription to your region's Nintendo magazine, or sending in proofs of purchase from select GC games, you STILL had to provide Nintendo with some matter of money to get at the goods. Just like what you have to do for the sake of this Mario Collection. Arguably more, considering the cheapest option was often the Nintendo magazine subscription at some 20 clams (+tax).

So, what's it gonna be? 4 Games (which you played years and years ago) that you get on a disc as part of a "Rewards Program" that requires you to spend some matter of money any way to get access to it? Or 4 games (which you played years and years ago) that you get on a disc for a flat, fairly budgeted price range at retail? Choice is yours, but again, they all boil down to doing a lot to being the same thing.
The difference being that one never really required money as a DIRECT means and was still a bonus for all purposes, had four games that were never packed in together, two of them being from the last generation of consoles, which is quite different from what is technically, and for all intents and purposes, a WII PORT OF A SINGLE. SNES. GAME.