The "What are you currently playing?" Thread

Saber · 724126

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #4525 on: October 02, 2014, 01:34:22 AM
From what I remembered when I played it I liked the Semi Auto option.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #4526 on: October 02, 2014, 01:40:08 AM
I seem to recall there was an option for Manual control for the PS1 version of Phantasia (while the GBA version was gimped and forces semi-auto on you), but it has been a long time since I messed with it.

I'm looking to try out the Asuka 120% Burning Fest. games if I can get a chance to use the computer, also replaying BioShock Infinite on my brother's PS3.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #4527 on: October 02, 2014, 01:51:41 AM
From what I remembered when I played it I liked the Semi Auto option.

Semi-Auto will make you run right towards your enemy to attack and auto guards. Its especially annoying when you're trying to use attacks/characters that you don't need/don't want to be right in the enemy's grill.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #4528 on: October 02, 2014, 01:53:26 AM
I seem to recall there was an option for Manual control for the PS1 version of Phantasia (while the GBA version was gimped and forces semi-auto on you), but it has been a long time since I messed with it.
Like Fxeni said, it's an item I get a little later on, I think it's called the Manual Ring. Which will suck since that means I have to sacrifice an accessory slot for it to use all the time probably, but at least I don't have anyone to play with so I don't have to do the same with Channelings.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #4529 on: October 02, 2014, 02:06:16 AM
Wait what?

I swear the Manual Book is just a Key Item. Unless that's something different about Phantasia that I didn't know about. I'm sort of waiting on the PSP's X version to be translated before I play that. I also really want to play Destiny's Director's Cut as well but again without a translation its sort of tough.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #4530 on: October 02, 2014, 02:42:16 AM
Wait what?

I swear the Manual Book is just a Key Item. Unless that's something different about Phantasia that I didn't know about. I'm sort of waiting on the PSP's X version to be translated before I play that. I also really want to play Destiny's Director's Cut as well but again without a translation its sort of tough.
I got the name wrong, it's actually the Technical Ring. But yeah, this was still when the series was just starting out and the PS1 remake of Phantasia came after Destiny, so it's no surprise it's an accessory.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #4531 on: October 02, 2014, 03:19:05 PM
Hyrule Warriors.

SO GOOD

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #4532 on: October 03, 2014, 03:21:57 AM
So I'm still playing Pac-Man Museum. Apparently I'm like a Masochist for these stupid stamps so I can unlock more worthless crap.

There's this Navigation mode thing that's supposed to help you in Pac-Man (And I think its in Ms.Pac-Man, Super Pac-Man and Pac&Pal as well), where a ghostly Pac-Man shows you where to go and such. Helpful for people completely inept at getting good scores (like me)

Simply put, it doesn't work. You pick a stage other than stage 1, it doesn't work. Start from the beginning, and it'll work, but it only works on ONE PATH, one which can very easily be altered by the Ghost AI, you follow the path but a Ghost decided to take a different direction than where the Navigator was expecting it to be? You either die because the [tornado fang]er led you into a ghost without a power pellet, or the little navigator fucks right on off and disappears never to return because it decides you don't need it because you stopped following it and doesn't return to pick a new path or anything.
Great system guys!

Super Pac-Man is painful to play, its fun with the Super Pellets but they're basically worthless 10 levels in as they don't last long enough to do anything of note.

Pac&Pal is equally painful, It takes after Super Pac-Man with the gates and such, but instead of Keys you flip cards, you have to collect junk but Miru, your so-called pal, can grab the stuff before you and drag it off to the ghost house, you can grab it back from her but she likes to hide behind the other ghosts and as always they prove to be annoying, there's an orange box in the middle of the area that I have no idea what it works for.

Pac-Attack would be better if it wasn't the Genesis version. It would also be better if the game didn't force you to play on Normal to get ANY of the stamps, [parasitic bomb] like "Clear 5 Rows at once" or "Get 500,000 points" takes FOREVER, on Normal you already start with 100,000 points, its just a matter of what speed/point value you start at.

Pac-Land... ugh. Its supposedly a platformer, but its got a helpful heap of bullshit in its system, precise jumps while you're not just on a time limit but also being chased by a ghost for fruit that will just disappear suddenly, a bunch of [parasitic bomb] you can't grab because its too high up, controls that are stiff and unpleasant (Think Ice Climber in terms of jumping, Horizontal movement is so [tornado fang]ing stiff and you need to be 100% on the platform or you won't get higher, now add that with narrow platforms and low ceilings that you'll bump up against more often than not). Ghosts [tornado fang]ing everywhere in the beginning/middle of the stage but you don't get a Power Pellet till right near the end of the stage, where there's maybe 3 ghosts if any. Want to run back and eat a bunch of them? Well too bad they're all gone, and you're running out of time still.

Championship Edition, that's fine. I have no issues with it other than its a bit hard to play after playing CE DX+.

Pac-Man Arrangement's not the amazing version from 1996 that was in the GCN/PS2/Xbox Namco Museum, its a version that was included with a PSP Namco Museum. It's a fine game, just not the one that I really like, that said, its also REALLY easy (Ghosts are slow, Power Pellets last a really long time, and there's like 6 of them in some stages) and its the only game I've gotten all the stamps on.

Battle Royale... its a Multiplayer game so its not exactly something that's fun without more people, that being said, its also a Local-Only Multiplayer, have fun huddling 3 more friends around a PC monitor to play a game that's in a really small screen resolution. If you play by yourself you're stuck against a really dumb AI.

Pac-Mania's another easier game, the isometric angle makes it a bit confusing but hey you can jump, and its got some pretty cool Genesis sounding music (That being said, the Genesis version of Pac-Mania looks like a pirated NES game and sounds awful.) The stamps in this one are easy too, most just revolve around points and you can hit the desired point amount by going to Sandbox Land right away and beating it thanks to the Point bonus. The only tough ones are last three which require you to play for 3 hours (Not consecutively obviously but still.)

Game just frustrates me. It could've been so great, but instead its a frustrating mess of really hard challenges, bugged emulations (Super and Pac&Pal both feature the ghosts stopping and fidgeting around when they change their pattern from "Stay in the corner" to "Chase Pac-Man"), missed opportunities (Battle Royale, perhaps maybe 1996 Arrangement), strange design choices (locked to 720p, on top of which all games are rendered pixel perfect, at the cost of them being wrapped around a huge border because of how tiny the game visuals are, with no option to increase the size or anything.) and overall just little care.

edit: oh holy [tornado fang] I didn't realize I made such a long post.

Double EDIT: I will say a nice positive though, the music for the "Pac-Room" (Basically the place where all the worthless Ghostly Adventures junk goes) is now a remix of the music from World 1 of the 1996 Arrangement and its really good sounding.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #4533 on: October 04, 2014, 04:31:35 AM
There are literally two things that can get me to put down Hyrule Warriors:  My wife, and Smash Bros.

Playing as Midna in Warriors is every bit as awesome as I'd imagined.  Her SP attack could stand to be stronger, but she's otherwise deadly.  And, despite some lousy luck with her Shackles early on, I just recently got one with Stars+, so that's cool.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #4534 on: October 08, 2014, 08:02:45 AM
There are literally two things that can get me to put down Hyrule Warriors:  My wife, and Smash Bros.

Playing as Midna in Warriors is every bit as awesome as I'd imagined.  Her SP attack could stand to be stronger, but she's otherwise deadly.  And, despite some lousy luck with her Shackles early on, I just recently got one with Stars+, so that's cool.

Is Midna's ass still as fantastic as it was in TP?

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #4535 on: October 08, 2014, 01:01:02 PM
Don't let Hypershell's wife hear you ask him that.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #4536 on: October 08, 2014, 08:23:09 PM
Right. Right.

Anyway, I'm currently playing:

Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs (Spoiler: It sucks. Female protag is 3cute tho)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness
Alien: Isolation
The Elder Scrolls V: Dragonborn
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Rune Factory 4

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #4537 on: October 09, 2014, 02:19:14 AM
Is Midna's ass still as fantastic as it was in TP?
<.<
>.>

Yep.

I was surprised to find that Adventure Mode's network connection seems to be Off by default.  Switched it on a few days ago and have thus far teamed with three Network Links.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #4538 on: October 15, 2014, 06:17:13 PM
I'm currently playing The Evil Within. It's pretty cool so far, like a darker RE4, though there are some annoying things that I hope I'll get used to.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #4539 on: October 15, 2014, 08:26:28 PM
Yeah I'm playing The Evil Within too. Is spoopy so far.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #4540 on: October 15, 2014, 10:52:05 PM
I'm at Chapter 6 now. The combat has a certain cadence to it compared to RE4. It's not that killing enemies is hard, you just don't get a free pass as often as in RE4. You can't go nuts with melee attacks, for example, and everything that helps with crowd control is limited. If you want to kill a group of enemies, you either use explosives (limited), burn them all at once with a match (also limited), or abuse the environment (most fights so far happened in big rooms with multiple doors and vantage points).

On the plus side, you are definitely equipped well enough to outsmart any enemy encounter. From proximity mines to OHKO enemy weapons that you can only use once. My favorite parts were the ones where I knew there was going to be a big fight and I booby-trapped the entire room Home Alone style before I triggered the mob.

You also can't carry too much ammo, but you can upgrade your stock to carry more stuff.

It's pretty interesting, like... you'd think the guy who created RE4 would just make a similar game and you'd crush it, but there's a lot of new ideas and strategy. I can see people not enjoying the slow and methodical planning sometimes (as well as the occasional cheap shot), but I'm having a great time.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #4541 on: October 18, 2014, 02:35:03 PM
Finished The Evil Within!

Holy crap @ final level. Not super heavy spoilers, but just to be sure:
[spoiler]It does not disappoint. The final boss is the craziest thing. Pretty easy fight too, you don't even need your own ammo. I ended up saving the Magnum w/ 9 shots for this fight and it wasn't necessary.[/spoiler]

I loved the game. It does Silent Hill better than the more recent SHs at least, there's a ton of weird stuff to see, and it's a very rewarding game in its design.

It's interesting, you never have to worry about getting stuck forever due to scarce ammo, but during any one fight, it's always kind of a struggle to walk out of there without wasting supplies. So while you do find enough shots to survive between the closest checkpoint and a tough room, the game is smart enough to keep you from hoarding and building a huge arsenal (unlike pretty much every post-RE4 survival/action horror). The next fight is always just as intense as the previous.

I may jump right into NG+ to collect the missing map pieces and upgrade my gear.

Clear time: 20:05
Deaths: 122

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #4542 on: October 22, 2014, 07:09:20 AM
I haven't had much time to play TEW but I just got up to Chapter 4. I am DEFINITELY feeling that Resident Evil 4 vibe. When I got the Shotgun and Agony Crossbow I felt exactly like I did with a shotgun and rifle in RE4. Not helpless, but not all-powerful either. It's almost the same kind of atmosphere, but TEW has enough new mechanics to make it feel fresh.

Also, I'm still playing Alien: Isolation, though for the past week I haven't been able to get past the first major stealth section with the Xenomorph because I'm a total [sonic slicer] and apparently very bad at stealth if there aren't guard patterns to be observed like in Thief/Dishonored. WHY DOESN'T THIS [tornado fang]ing GAME HAVE QUICKSAVES?

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #4543 on: October 22, 2014, 07:57:07 PM
The Legend of Korra (PC)

Made by Platinum, so you know what to expect. IGN and Gamespot are liars and slanderers giving it a 4/10 and 3/10. Destructoid's 7/10 is far more accurate. Don't believe the hate. It's got like a >90% approval rating on Steam. PC port is solid, though lacking in options. You better have an XInput gamepad too (or converter software for PS3/PS4/etc controllers).

Action is solid, even the dog sections aren't that bad. I got the hang of it really quick. It is indeed short, but for a $15 dollar budget title? It's not bad at all.

The combat feels REALLY satisfying, and I love the way they did the powerup equips. It looks and feels like the show, so very accurate. Also has a slew of animated cutscenes for every stage, as well as a whole load of dialog from the show's actual actors. A good set of items to equip, and alt costumes, etc. I'm pretty impressed with what they had stuffed in it for the price honestly.

If you like action games and a good challenge, this is definitely a must buy. Though I will mention if you haven't watched Korra up to the end of Book 2 you'll probably be completely lost in the story. Not that it matters too overly much.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #4544 on: October 22, 2014, 09:08:01 PM
Played through Evil Within on NG+. It was much easier with fully upgraded stuff, but even so I was counting my shots every now and then.

I still kinda feel like starting another run but I don't wanna get sick of the game. I'll try to think of some kind of big finale for this Mikami marathon until Bayonetta 2 comes out. :)

Archer

Reply #4545 on: October 23, 2014, 06:45:13 AM
Made by Platinum, so you know what to expect. IGN and Gamespot are liars and slanderers giving it a 4/10 and 3/10. Destructoid's 7/10 is far more accurate. Don't believe the hate. It's got like a >90% approval rating on Steam. PC port is solid, though lacking in options. You better have an XInput gamepad too (or converter software for PS3/PS4/etc controllers).

The thing is everything the reviews say seems true, it's a question of what matters to you. All the reviews agree: the narrative is terrible, the game is short, the levels are pretty empty and unalive, and the fighting is gorgeous and fun.

Since reviewers are idiots who don't care about fun, that to them is a low score. No "immersive experience" just aimless horde slaughtering, but if you enjoy aimless horde slaughtering say because the slaughtering mechanics are complex and engaging, then it's a great game.

Not sure why people get so caught up in what review sites say, its not as if they judge video games purely on objective merits.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #4546 on: October 23, 2014, 06:50:06 AM
the narrative is terrible, the game is short, the levels are pretty empty and unalive, and the fighting is gorgeous and fun.

Isn't this an accurate description of a Dynasty Warriors game?

Archer

Reply #4547 on: October 23, 2014, 06:52:13 AM
Sure. I don't think I'd describe some of the spin off DW titles' fighting as "gorgeous and fun" though.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #4548 on: October 23, 2014, 07:15:26 AM
Isn't this an accurate description of a Dynasty Warriors game?
No, they didn't mention that YOU CANNOT DEFEAT LU BU

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Archer

Reply #4549 on: October 23, 2014, 07:20:08 AM
YOU CANNOT DEFEAT LU BU

git gud scrub