PETA's Pokémon: Black & Blue

Joseph Collins · 15357

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
on: October 08, 2012, 11:05:44 PM
So...

I, among other people, has gotten to a point where we realize that Pokémon is little more than a glorified cockfight for little kids.  Now, I say this with all humor.  It's just a video game, after all.  Right?

Well, PETA is taking things more seriously.  X3

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 11:20:15 PM
Well that's PETA for you. 

I just played through the whole game and they don't even heal the pokemon at all, hypocritical huh?

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 11:56:24 PM
Also Ash claims to have never cared about Pikachu, which is blatantly false.

I wonder how much more Nintendo will take before they take action of their own. This is the second franchise attacked by PETA.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 12:25:43 AM
This is the second attack, no doubt there will be a third. My bets would be either Zelda for attacking chickens mercilessly or the next in line involves animals.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 12:55:49 AM
Peta just does it to get attention because nobody ever pays attention to their stupid shenanigans.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
  • Blow up! We want to blow up this area.
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 12:58:52 AM
The song for that first bonus video was so gay I stopped playing.

This is the second franchise attacked by PETA.
What's the first?

FEELS  ;^;Which has the massive scrotums?

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 01:05:39 AM
The Super Mario franchise. Twice.

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 01:18:03 AM
The first attack was about how Mario was pelting poor raccoons and some such rubbish.  It was cute and well done and all, but I'm not really sure what PETA was going for, considering Mario wears Tanuki Suits, not raccoon-dog hide.

The second "attack" on the <i>Super Mario</i> franchise was more a backhanded one.  The game was actually about how Kentucky Fried Chicken was so cruel to their chickens, but the gameplay was basically <i>Super Mario Bros.</i>.  Your job was to rescue Pamela Anderson from The Colonel because the Mario Bros. both hurt themselves playing with their Wiis too much. (Incidentally, this game is in our very arcade!  Give it a go.  It's pretty fun.)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 02:57:53 AM
Also Tanuki are mythical animals. PETA was attacking Mario to defend a mythical creature.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 03:42:48 AM
Well that's PETA for you. 

I just played through the whole game and they don't even heal the pokemon at all, hypocritical huh?

I was actually curious about that myself. After finishing it, I went and got a game over, which then you are given the option to go to the Pokemon center to heal and continue. I guess that counts?

I haven't played any of the DS Pokemon games, so if this is inaccurate then disregard, however... This PETA game has higher production value than the official games for the portions that were done. That's pretty sad when you think about it. I honestly think Pokemon would be a great casual flash game, if done right. The animation was pretty good in this one, despite the subject matter being a little disturbing.

The structure of the game was actually well thought out. It 'rewarded' you for continuing and winning. The battles also promoted the use of your newly acquired Pokemon through battle advantages, and the battle commands were all pretty useful. If only they put this kind of effort into something less gruesome.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 03:48:47 AM
I can't help it, but whenever someone mentions PETA I have to think of this

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 03:55:05 AM
If only they put this kind of effort into something less gruesome.

Kinda ironic when an arbok gets chopped in half and later in the specials, gets a bit more brutal later (and not to mention some of the human-looking pokemon, can't forget about those).. yet not in this caliber. And people wanted games based off the specials? Kinda goes to show how far they will go for peta to defend fictional creatures.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 05:44:20 AM
I do have to wonder, though, what took them so long to finally get around to attacking Pokémon.

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 06:01:59 AM
You're not the only one wondering that, Q-chan.  A friend of mine posed the exact same question.  I'm sure several people the net over did the same, as well.  Does kind of make you wonder...

I guess it took a direct sequel (instead of an "expansion pack" or new generation title) to get PETA's attention.  :B

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 06:42:22 AM
I saw this on Tumblr and all I could think was "AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

Bizarro World Ash's duds aren't too bad, though.

(I have to wonder what Earth-PETA Megaman would look like, now that I'm thinking about PETA again)

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 02:59:43 PM
Kinda goes to show how far they will go for peta to defend fictional creatures.

They're not defending fictional characters, but using it to illustrate a point of what the game might imply to young children. That is; The capture, collection, and fighting of animals with an apathetic attitude toward the total dominance and expectation of servitude placed on the captured animals.

It is a valid point, to some degree. I've always thought it was a shaky concept shrugged off by the cute and playful demeanor. Obviously Pokemon isn't reality, and children can determine for the most part reality from fiction if they have anywhere near a decent upbringing, however the sentiment holds true even in small regards.

I was 11 when the first Pokemon was released. I loved the game to death, and rightly so as a well designed communal game me and all of my friends would play. Pokemon certainly earns it's reputation as a classic and a cultural phenomenon. Now, while perhaps mild, it did influence my behavior a little. I did at one time capture and keep a bee as a pet like a 'pokemon'. The action was taken as a direct result of deciding that was the closest thing I'll get to having a pokemon in reality. It never went above an insect, certainly not like I was trapping mammals in the wild, or fighting dogs, but the sentiment was there never the less. I captured this insect against it's will, and held it captive in a container hoping to emulate what I saw in the game. The capture likely lead to it's death, and surely stripped it of it's freedom. It is exactly the point the PETA game is trying to make.

And that was a way more serious post than I thought it was going to be...

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 07:33:57 PM
You know, PETA really does have a point.  In the very first game, "Red" beats "Blue's" Raticate so hard in one battle that it dies, after all!  Then again, how did it die, exactly?  I thought Pokémon Centers were miracle cure-alls?  Did Blue's Raticate have a terminal illness or something?

Mysteries abound in the world of Pocket Monsters...  x:

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 10:25:16 PM
http://matsu-sensei.deviantart.com/art/What-have-I-become-331432553

Crying forever, BRB.
(Alternately: "That awkward moment when you realize just how absurdly out of character you're acting.")

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 03:04:09 AM
I was 11 when the first Pokemon was released. I loved the game to death, and rightly so as a well designed communal game me and all of my friends would play. Pokemon certainly earns it's reputation as a classic and a cultural phenomenon. Now, while perhaps mild, it did influence my behavior a little. I did at one time capture and keep a bee as a pet like a 'pokemon'. The action was taken as a direct result of deciding that was the closest thing I'll get to having a pokemon in reality. It never went above an insect, certainly not like I was trapping mammals in the wild, or fighting dogs, but the sentiment was there never the less. I captured this insect against it's will, and held it captive in a container hoping to emulate what I saw in the game. The capture likely lead to it's death, and surely stripped it of it's freedom. It is exactly the point the PETA game is trying to make.

And that was a way more serious post than I thought it was going to be...
Dude, I was doing that to fireflies and brine shrimp LONG before Pokemon came out...  Every kid thinks it's fun to keep animals without regard to how the hell to care for them; the cultural phenomenon called "pets" is what introduces that idea.

Also Tanuki are mythical animals. PETA was attacking Mario to defend a mythical creature.
Nope.  Tanuki are real, tanuki demons are mythical.  Like foxes.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 06:27:57 AM
http://matsu-sensei.deviantart.com/art/What-have-I-become-331432553

Crying forever, BRB.
(Alternately: "That awkward moment when you realize just how absurdly out of character you're acting.")
FEELS  ;^;
Which has the massive scrotums?

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 06:52:52 AM
I did at one time capture and keep a bee as a pet like a 'pokemon'. The action was taken as a direct result of deciding that was the closest thing I'll get to having a pokemon in reality. It never went above an insect, certainly not like I was trapping mammals in the wild, or fighting dogs, but the sentiment was there never the less. I captured this insect against it's will, and held it captive in a container hoping to emulate what I saw in the game. The capture likely lead to it's death, and surely stripped it of it's freedom.
Dude, I was doing that to fireflies and brine shrimp LONG before Pokemon came out...  Every kid thinks it's fun to keep animals without regard to how the hell to care for them; the cultural phenomenon called "pets" is what introduces that idea.
When I was a kid I took my hamster, Harvey, and I flipped him like a pancake on one of those Lego bases. You know, the big flat things with no female parts on the bottom and male parts all over the top.

You guys do know behavior of this sort is considered a telltale sign of a sociopath? I have no idea if that's true or not, though.

Damn it I want one so bad. I want it to be buddies with a fox. You know, raise them as pups together.

Bats. I've seen it in pictures. Boy, that post is funny in an entirely different way when it doesn't put the line break in. I swear, it quoted like that.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #22 on: October 10, 2012, 07:38:43 AM
Yet you put it in your sig anyways.

Honestly, I'm a bit offended because of how it looks. But whatever.

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: October 10, 2012, 08:48:36 AM
Try quoting it. Did you put your open quote tag right after the emote? That's the only answer I can think of.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #24 on: October 10, 2012, 01:08:53 PM
And your point is? I know how forums work.

Doesn't make me any less offended.