Legal issues for Mega Man Legends?

OKeijiDragon · 7319

Offline OKeijiDragon

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
on: July 16, 2009, 01:36:50 AM
http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/18480137/sven

Apparently, there are some obstacles in the way of re-releasing this title in the USA. Which are both nerve-wracking and nerving at the same time.

According to Capcom's Christian Svennson:
"I know that people want them and I'm working with Japan to see what we can do about that. But they're not on the docket right now as they need to be recleared for rights issues (voice actors, musical score, middleware, any IP infractions, etc.) before we could contemplate putting them up. As it stands today, they are not "cleared" by the IP dept for future use."

What I can REALLY see here as a potential problem in this whole situation is simply because how incredibly identical the Servbots (Kobun) look to the Lego men. That could be be one key reason why Capcom would be reluctant to re-release MML. Remember, even though people knew about the Lego similarities back then, there weren't any popular Legos video games back when this game came out, but now there are and are very popular (with the whole Star Wars/Batman/Indiana Jones/etc games), and with America being a lot more sue-happy, things could potentially look grim for this beloved series.

This is not the same problem TvsC had before announced coming here.

I swear to god, if this turns into another EarthBound-on-VC like legal-issue, I will dread.  -AC

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 01:48:49 AM
Man, you just had to make me all worrried and [parasitic bomb] by referencing how much like the Earthbound on VC situation this could turn out to be. [tornado fang], I want mah Legends dammit, and they had better not nix the Kobuns! D<

Offline OKeijiDragon

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 01:57:58 AM
Yep. It's a like curse I have. Sorry. =P

But it's better to prepare for the worse then have it fall face flat on you at the last minute.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 02:04:02 AM
This wouldn't be a problem for me if Legends 2 and Tron Bonne could be emulated properly and if the PSP had more shoulder buttons! *shakes fist*

Eh, I'll wait for the Pandora

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 02:11:52 AM
Sometimes I hate the western legal system.  O:<

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 02:18:55 AM
I swear to god, if this turns into another EarthBound-on-VC like legal-issue, I will dread.  -AC

I doubt so. Capcom could easily re-voice the characters, and as for the music problem, then that shouldn't be a problem either since they should still own the music used in the games. Not to mention, the Lego company can't really DO much of anything, because they'd have to sue the Japanese branch, the actual creators of the Kubon/Servebots in order to hold any water whatsoever. The major problem that I see is Lego trying to do something, which I doubt they can. They LOOK like the legomen, but they AREN'T, they're not sporting ANYTHING with Lego's name on it, and the design is fairly basic, and the games were well known as well as the companies. They pretty much HAD their chance to sue, because both were well known back then.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 02:05:55 PM
How can Servbots be an issue? It's not like Dead Rising, TvC, or any other game with dominant Servbot cameos ever had an issue with it.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 02:19:46 PM
Yea, and Auto Modellista had a few Kobuns as items or in-game decorations. ^^

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 02:34:14 AM
I have to admit it is tempting to call bull on this in spite of it source.  Maybe somebody at Capcom got a head shake from their superiors and is just speculating as to why?

Seriously, if Servbots are clear, further IP clashes shouldn't be an issue.  And you can't honestly tell me Capcom is stupid enough to not secure the rights to re-release their voice talent.  That didn't stop them in X Collection (in fact most of us wish they HADN'T reused their voice talent there).

Capcom could easily re-voice the characters
Here's the thing, though.  CoA certainly CAN re-voice the games.  But if they have so little faith in Legends as to not even bother preparing for a re-release, then I sincerely doubt they would spare the expense to correct their mistake.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 04:31:11 AM
That reminds me of how I used to think Men In Hats looked like Legomen.

So, what was the deal with EarthBound?

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 11:00:43 PM
It's been long enough, Capcom. Please do something about this... ;O;