Mega Man Starbound - Galaxy's Champion

Yoku Man · 188855

Offline MagVanisher

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #350 on: May 29, 2012, 11:52:21 AM
Nice recolor, N-Mario!

The ladders are no longer dull, but I feel sad that the gold color on the platform is now gone.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
Reply #351 on: May 29, 2012, 02:02:47 PM
Mmm..... I can still make it gold. It just won't be accurate to the way they looked from their NES counteparts.

Another thing that was lacking in the GB version of Ring Man stage are the hippos. Although they are present later in the game, just that they are absent specifically in Ring Man's stage. I was thinking that maybe I should add them back in, just to make the stage a little longer. What do you think?

Offline MagVanisher

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #352 on: May 29, 2012, 02:11:22 PM
I would like to see the hippo back on Ring Man's stage! Although implementing it on your engine might take some time.

Offline MagVanisher

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #353 on: May 30, 2012, 06:02:25 PM
Excellent, so theres no hinderance whatsoever, anymore? If people wanted, they could create any stage from the Gameboy games that had a 1 tiled gap at the end of a tunnel exit. That includes Stone Man's stage in MMIV and a Metal Man's Stage in MMII. I guess I can fix that wall in the Gimmick Stage where I recreated the tunnel room from Metal Man's stage.

Posted on: May 30, 2012, 01:31:12 PM
I've begun designing some Boss Gauntlet rooms. Its not definate if these guys will end up in the Boss Gauntlet teleporter rooms, but I've always liked the idea of also representing characters from MM5, MM6, MM7 and MM8. (Seeing as we have ones from 1,2,3 and 4)

Here are Centaur Man's and Frost Man's rooms. Coming soon is Star Man's and Slash Man's rooms.

I guess it also depends on how well their 8-bit sprites end up looking. I wonder how Yllisos Zanon is doing with those two sprites of Frost and Slash Man.

Definitely gonna see them after completing all stages from 1 to 4. Although my concern is that will Star Man, Centaur Man, Slash Man, and Frost Man only have the boss room and not the whole stage?

Offline Yoku Man

• Robot Master of Yoku Blocks.
  • Resistance Member
  • "Don't Trust Your Eyes, Trust Mine."
    • View Profile
Reply #354 on: May 30, 2012, 06:14:28 PM
Definitely gonna see them after completing all stages from 1 to 4. Although my concern is that will Star Man, Centaur Man, Slash Man, and Frost Man only have the boss room and not the whole stage?

Early days yet, but they may not get the chance to have entire levels. NMario has been contemplating including some of his own robot masters, perhaps for a next batch of 4 bosses. Thats how the gb games were originally laid out anyway, 4 bosses, a midpoint level, 4 more bosses, then the wily stage.

I could even divide each batch with my first gimmick level. And the 2nd gimmick level could be Dr Wily's stage.

So in the end, if he still likes the idea, Star, Centaur, Slash and Frost will remain as just part of the Boss Gauntlet. With just their boss rooms.

Offline MagVanisher

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #355 on: May 30, 2012, 07:17:29 PM
Okay. But I have a question on the engine...

My fangame that I've been working on will be laid like this:
- Intro Stage
- 8 bosses to select
- Intermission stage
- 4 more bosses to select
- Another intermission stage
- Dr. Wily Stage, consisting of two parts.

For the stage select, is it possible to have like 8 bosses or more to select instead of 4. In the current version of N-Mario's engine, he uses the Mega Man III-style stage select. I was wondering if he could implement the Mega Man IV-style stage select, with modifications to select up to 15 stages, if plausible.

Offline RetroRespecter

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #356 on: May 30, 2012, 08:07:53 PM
I'm sorry, but this engine is following the GB/SGB/GBA limitations.

Offline MagVanisher

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #357 on: May 30, 2012, 08:12:22 PM
I know, but I want the engine to expand further after N-Mario fixes everything and added from the list.

I don't want to be limited to just 8 bosses, y'know!

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #358 on: May 30, 2012, 08:15:48 PM

- Intro Stage
- 8 bosses to select
- Intermission stage

For the stage select, is it possible to have like 8 bosses or more to select instead of 4. In the current version of N-Mario's engine, he uses the Mega Man III-style stage select. I was wondering if he could implement the Mega Man IV-style stage select, with modifications to select up to 15 stages, if plausible.

Thats where some of your own unique programming will have to differ from NMario's template. As far as I'm aware NMario only wants to use MMIII's stage select style, but theres no reason another can't be used with some alterations. I too am gonna use a different Stage Select for my fangame once the engine is done.

Offline MagVanisher

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #359 on: May 30, 2012, 08:36:26 PM
Thats where some of your own unique programming will have to differ from NMario's template. As far as I'm aware NMario only wants to use MMIII's stage select style, but theres no reason another can't be used with some alterations. I too am gonna use a different Stage Select for my fangame once the engine is done.

Okay, but the problem is that I'm not a programmer when it comes to handling Multimedia Fusion 2. Maybe someone who knows in-and-out on N-Mario's engine will help me out... I hope.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
Reply #360 on: May 30, 2012, 08:37:27 PM
Excellent, so theres no hinderance whatsoever, anymore? If people wanted, they could create any stage from the Gameboy games that had a 1 tiled gap at the end of a tunnel exit. That includes Stone Man's stage in MMIV and a Metal Man's Stage in MMII. I guess I can fix that wall in the Gimmick Stage where I recreated the tunnel room from Metal Man's stage.

Yea. It had to do with the slide detector object rather than the players collision mask. All I did was shrink the width of the back side of it by 1 pixel. Though I was a bit worried about this. I feared that if the player was still within a number of pixels of where the tunnel is, that the player would unintentionally get pushed backwards out of the wall. This was actually true when I cropped the slide detector too far backwards. The original intent was to make the slide detectors width the same as the player to prevent any backward pushing.

- Intro Stage
- 8 bosses to select
- Intermission stage

You could theoretically make a stage select screen up to 8 robot masters. Just that you would need smaller graphics for them due to the GBA/GB screens size. Unless you resized the game engine's application window to the NES size, and modify the code to work in NES style. Or you can keep the GBA screen window, and remove the graphical frame border that MM Mania used (like our fan game). Then you may be able to fit 2 more robot masters on each left/right side. But that's just me thinking. After this game, I could fix the MM engine to still be GBA sized, just remove the border entirely as an example to show you what I mean.

I just made this in a few minutes.

If you removed the frame border for your own fan game, and kept the GBA size, an example of a robot master stage select screen could be something like this. Of course the BG graphics can be changed.

Okay, but the problem is that I'm not a programmer when it comes to handling Multimedia Fusion 2. Maybe someone who knows in-and-out on N-Mario's engine will help me out... I hope.

MMF2 should be really easy to use by anyone. I could show a screen shot of what the script looks like of one of the objects behaviors. As long as you understand the basics of movement, collisions & everything, it's kind of like a director making a movie. Programmers get to direct what each object does, and how they should react to things in their environment.

If you want to learn programming, you could give WarioWare DIY for the DS a try. It's basically a game about making games. It teaches you about things like switches, animation, and you go through the tutorial of making a game. Although it is limited to tapping, and limited triggers, it's basically the same style of standard game design.  :)

Offline MagVanisher

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #361 on: May 31, 2012, 07:28:43 AM
@N-Mario

Okay, but supposedly I want 8 robots to be selected on a GB (not GBA) screen, is it plausible to have a "next page" effect when going to another set of 4 robots and vice versa? If not, maybe using the Mega Man IV-style stage select to be plausible on my game.

And although I don't have WarioWare DIY nor MMF2 to learn the basics of making games, I think I don't have the time to learn nor tinker your engine as well as the basics. So, I would like to let someone who knows MMF2 and your engine to figure it out instead.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
Reply #362 on: May 31, 2012, 08:20:41 AM
@N-Mario

Okay, but supposedly I want 8 robots to be selected on a GB (not GBA) screen, is it plausible to have a "next page" effect when going to another set of 4 robots and vice versa? If not, maybe using the Mega Man IV-style stage select to be plausible on my game.

And although I don't have WarioWare DIY nor MMF2 to learn the basics of making games, I think I don't have the time to learn nor tinker your engine as well as the basics. So, I would like to let someone who knows MMF2 and your engine to figure it out instead.

How are you even going to make your game if you don't even know programming? :-/

Anyway, this is what I'm talking about.

Again, not really being serious about this. I'm just giving you the general idea. This picture still uses the GB size screen. The portraits are resized to fit all 8 of them on screen.

The other option is to do a completely alternate solution to this. Have 8 robot masters placed on a world map screen, like in MMV's stardroid stage selection screen. If you look at MMV's stage selection screen, you know what I mean. :)

Offline Yllisos Zanon

• The Laberynth Librarian
  • Resistance Member
  • Individuality, so F*#K popularity
    • View Profile
Reply #363 on: May 31, 2012, 03:45:37 PM
I would like to help out with this project some more, but I have been extra busy with work.  Also busy in getting myself ready to move, from Texas to Kentucky.  I do have a question though.

What is still needed, sprite wise?  Bosses, enemies, I ask, cause I might have a little time to work on some enemies.  Perhaps Duo a little more.

They're coming to take me away
hee hee hoo hoo haw haw

http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=veasman#

Offline MagVanisher

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #364 on: May 31, 2012, 04:09:19 PM
How are you even going to make your game if you don't even know programming? :-/

Anyway, this is what I'm talking about.

Again, not really being serious about this. I'm just giving you the general idea. This picture still uses the GB size screen. The portraits are resized to fit all 8 of them on screen.

The other option is to do a completely alternate solution to this. Have 8 robot masters placed on a world map screen, like in MMV's stardroid stage selection screen. If you look at MMV's stage selection screen, you know what I mean. :)

Sorry 'bout that but I can't do it. I'm not cut into programming stuff, even though MMF2 is easy. It's just that my will can't make a decent code.

Still, the MMV's stage selection screen is plausible. Although, the world map needs to move to incorporate 16 stages other than being static.

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #365 on: May 31, 2012, 04:23:57 PM
Sorry 'bout that but I can't do it. I'm not cut into programming stuff, even though MMF2 is easy. It's just that my will can't make a decent code.

Still, the MMV's stage selection screen is plausible. Although, the world map needs to move to incorporate 16 stages other than being static.

You could originally scroll up and down from the Earth to Space in MMV (once you'd reached the halfway point in the game) so you could have 8 dots on earth and 8 in space. But even so it doesn't even have to be space themed, whatever you're going for would suffice, but the principle of the stage select remains the same (MMV style).

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
Reply #366 on: May 31, 2012, 09:57:52 PM
Just posting here saying that Ring Man stage map is fully added. It is playable at this point, but none of the gimmicks work yet.
Until I can script the ladders and the regenerating bars, there are temporary gravity changers mainly for exploring the map. :)

The two hippo screens are there. Again, just empty for right now. For the second hippo, I just decided to replace one of the rooms after the second ring mini-boss, rather than to extend it out. The room that I replaced was a bit too similar to the one near the beginning. ;)

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #367 on: May 31, 2012, 11:19:46 PM
I would like to help out with this project some more, but I have been extra busy with work.  Also busy in getting myself ready to move, from Texas to Kentucky.  I do have a question though.

What is still needed, sprite wise?  Bosses, enemies, I ask, cause I might have a little time to work on some enemies.  Perhaps Duo a little more.

Yllisos, I was hoping you could try your hand at doing Slash Man and Frost Man. Here's an earlier post I did about them, concerning you.

I've been thinking about a complete sprite sheet for the official versions of Slash Man and Frost Man. (The versions you saw in the Weapons Archive in MM10) Here I've created some template sheets. Perhaps, Yllisos, you'd like to try your hand at editing these frames to look like the MM10 versions? I know you have the skill and talent. It would be a huge help.

Here I've helped split up Slash Man's body into parts to help differentiate his components in comparison with the RM7FC version. You should be able to apply the appropriate edited bits from the MM10 version to the RM7FC version, with patience and careful spriting.

I think the Frost Man sprite will be easier to edit. It seems theres only a slight difference in colour and his shoulders and other proportions are slightly wider in places. Look carefully and compare the two standing sprites and make the necessary adjustments to all the other frames.

You up for trying these?

Offline Yllisos Zanon

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #368 on: June 01, 2012, 09:32:00 PM
I nearly forgot about those, especially with how busy I have been.  But, I have managed to get started on those, I noticed a few dfferences between the sprites.  But, mostly, with Frost Man.  He is nearly accurate, besides the color, the packs on his back are different.  So it looks like Frost Man will be easier to do, compared to Slash Man. 

hee hee hoo hoo haw haw

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #369 on: June 02, 2012, 07:26:37 PM
Seems word is spreading about Mega Man World, Protodude's Rockman Corner has posted an article about the fangame/engine. He seems pretty excited about the project!

http://www.rockmancorner.com/2012/06/fan-game-breaths-new-life-into-mega-man.html

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #370 on: June 02, 2012, 09:17:07 PM
Seems word is spreading about Mega Man World, Protodude's Rockman Corner has posted an article about the fangame/engine. He seems pretty excited about the project!

http://www.rockmancorner.com/2012/06/fan-game-breaths-new-life-into-mega-man.html
From there it went to GoNintendo.
http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=178415

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Yllisos Zanon

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #371 on: June 03, 2012, 08:22:16 AM

Crossed fingers...

My update so far.  Frost Man got Color swapped, along with a few frames of the fixed pack.    Nothing with Slash yet.

The stages I think would work best, with corresponding Alienoid. <~optional name -u-'

Ignore the sprite sheets right now, except Air Man.  The Air Man from above is from the NES version, the sprite sheet, from GB version.  Which looks better!?

Star Man and Centaur with custom colors from the color pallete, earlier shown.  Playing around really.

I collected each Duo sprite, for comparison side by side.  Feed back, wouldn't hurt.

hee hee hoo hoo haw haw

Offline IQ-0

• Ice Queen Zero
  • Resistance Member
  • Friendship Advisory - Magical Content
    • View Profile
    • 1CC Gaming
Reply #372 on: June 03, 2012, 11:20:04 AM
I got another idea that's borrowed from the PC Megamans. How about having a button to commit seppuku? Press the button and Megaman explodes.

Offline MagVanisher

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #373 on: June 03, 2012, 12:12:25 PM
I got another idea that's borrowed from the PC Megamans. How about having a button to commit seppuku? Press the button and Megaman explodes.

Good idea, unless there are stages that lead to dead-ends that is.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
Reply #374 on: June 03, 2012, 07:26:51 PM

A Keyboard/Joypad button? What would be the use other than for debugging purposes?  Unless a player intentionally got stuck in an area or something. :-/

There will be probably a time where I need to code player death exploding, maybe I can make use of it then. Except I was planning to save for the spikes.

We'll see.