Mega Man Unlimited

Yoku Man · 272820

Offline Riffman81

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
    • MegaHaxx.com
Reply #425 on: June 16, 2013, 09:41:40 PM
According the Phil's Facebook updates, everything seems to be moving right along with the game. I believe I read it's now at RC status? This is good news and I'm stoked to play this! A big thanks to all the people involved testing/bug fixing to make this happen.  

Edit: While typing this post, Yoku Man has just chimed in with some great news!

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
Reply #426 on: June 17, 2013, 01:30:03 AM
According the Phil's Facebook updates, everything seems to be moving right along with the game. I believe I read it's now at RC status? This is good news and I'm stoked to play this! A big thanks to all the people involved testing/bug fixing to make this happen.  

Edit: While typing this post, Yoku Man has just chimed in with some great news!

Don't you mean, Ninja'd?...... Or is that Yoku'd, or Yoku Block'd in You Man's terms? But yea, it seems that Yoku Man pretty much Ninja'd you. XD

Offline Riffman81

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
    • MegaHaxx.com
Reply #427 on: June 19, 2013, 08:05:09 AM
Don't you mean, Ninja'd?...... Or is that Yoku'd, or Yoku Block'd in You Man's terms? But yea, it seems that Yoku Man pretty much Ninja'd you. XD

;)absolutely!

Offline Yoku Man

• Robot Master of Yoku Blocks.
  • Resistance Member
  • "Don't Trust Your Eyes, Trust Mine."
    • View Profile
Reply #428 on: June 24, 2013, 03:07:57 AM
I'll let the video speak for itself.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E50n-N1WIaU[/youtube]

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #429 on: June 24, 2013, 03:09:13 PM
Neat, hadn't been paying much attention to this before but it looks pretty great. As long as it has less crazy hard boss battles than SFxMM it should be good.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #430 on: June 24, 2013, 05:52:48 PM
From what I see the levels look better designed than SFxMM... but I'll be the judge of that once it's out :P

Offline SonicZH

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #431 on: June 25, 2013, 03:06:42 PM
yep lv design does look better than sfxmm!
I work harder in future...

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #432 on: June 26, 2013, 12:24:49 AM
It all comes with practice!

I'm just picky because of my training, that's all -u-'

Offline thefallenalchemist

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #433 on: June 26, 2013, 08:50:33 PM
Just a reminder to everyone, but this game releases on my 28th birthday. It's literally the best birthday present that I could ask for, even though I have to be at work at 6am that day for mandatory inventory. As soon as I get home though, it's off to download and finish MMU!

So freakin' excited.

Offline Chivelfeyr

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #434 on: July 09, 2013, 07:27:09 PM
MegaphilX, and all other team members of past and present who worked and helped on the project, Congratulations on finishing this game. I've been keeping an eye on it for a few years now.

The release date (July 14, 2013 which is this coming Sunday by my calendar) )makes me a very happy person as my work week ends at 7:00 in the morning (I work nights) on that day and I'll have two nights off to follow. You can bet I'll be getting my hands on this game and playing the hell out of it. :) Because of this, you've given me something to look forward to when I clock out and head home on Sunday.

Once again, excellent job. The video is awesome! :D

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #435 on: July 09, 2013, 08:38:51 PM
i have a friend who's currently streaming a Mega Man Marathon.

and i told him about this and he may be adding it to his list. he looked it up and was quite interested :3

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
Reply #436 on: July 09, 2013, 10:53:44 PM
i have a friend who's currently streaming a Mega Man Marathon.

and i told him about this and he may be adding it to his list. he looked it up and was quite interested :3

Care to share? I would love to see any live streams of people playing MegaMan Unlimited when possible. Or just MegaMan in general is also good :)

Offline Yoku Man

• Robot Master of Yoku Blocks.
  • Resistance Member
  • "Don't Trust Your Eyes, Trust Mine."
    • View Profile
Reply #437 on: July 13, 2013, 10:00:04 PM
As of this post... 19 Hours left till MMU is released! It'll be available around 11:00am Eastern Daylight Time, aka 4:00pm British Summer Time.

Remember its free for download at megaphilx.com, I think there'll be various mirrors available to try and avoid any server crashing from the huge onslaught of downloads that will surely ensue.

The Soundtrack should be made available in a few days, to avoid any spoilers.

Offline Chivelfeyr

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #438 on: July 14, 2013, 03:26:16 PM
Sounds good. I just got off work and now I got the next 2 nights off to play this game after downloading it. :)

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
Reply #439 on: July 14, 2013, 05:44:03 PM
And the game is now released! Have fun guys! :)

Offline RetroRespecter

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #440 on: July 14, 2013, 05:50:19 PM
Thank you. I WILL!  <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 >0< >0< >0< >0< >0< >0< >0< >0< 8B

Offline Chivelfeyr

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #441 on: July 14, 2013, 09:19:41 PM
TARGET ACQUIRED: Beginning Download......

DOWNLOAD COMPLETE: Initiating Launch Sequence.

I'm playing the game now. First thing I'll say right off the bat is that I love the Controller Mapping functionality. It's nice to be able to map my POV buttons on my controller for directional movement. :) And now... Resume Carnage (sneer).

Posted on: July 15, 2013, 02:06:33
Well, I took down my first Robot Master. I decided to be a trooper (or rather, a glutten for punishment) and went after Rainbow Man first. I felt like this game was worth it and I was not disappointed.

For some reason, my POV controls on my controller were a bit wonky at times. So, I had to use Xpadder to help me out with that. Otherwise, it worked real well.

Quick Man's stage aint nothin' compared to Rainbow's. I lost track of how many times I died on the stage. However, being that there were available bolts (albeit only a few), I was able to acquire enough to get 4 energy tanks (max) at the shop which helped tremendously in my battle with Rainbow Man.

Rainbow Man fight only took me one try and that's only because I had energy tanks on hand that I purchased. I used 2 of them in the fight. I won't say how Rainbow Man's strategy was because I don't want to spoil it :) .

The stage colors were very vibrant and while it was very challenging, it was also fun to learn how everything from the laser beams to the big triangular spread lights worked (in particular, being able to redirect them with your buster shots if you hit the light source that fires the beams out although that can backfire if you're not careful :) ).

And now, onto the ensuing carnage again...... :)

Offline Riffman81

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
    • MegaHaxx.com
Reply #442 on: July 15, 2013, 12:08:21 AM
3 robot masters down! Gotta say I'm loving this so far! Thanks to everyone involved for making such a kick-ass game! I threw it on my HTPC and it looks really cool on the big screen! Looking forward to the soundtrack release as well!

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #443 on: July 15, 2013, 01:13:30 AM
[spoiler=Intro screen shot within.][/spoiler]
Yes.  Let us work together to fix this horrible pixel art.
Honestly, who thought this was passable?  I've seen worse, but sheesh...
(Says the guy who utterly butchered "Stop the Calvary" in Mega Man Christmas Carol Remix and said "That's good enough.")

That aside, not even a minute in and I've already found two bugs:
- Megaman's shots are a pixel too low compared to where his buster sits.
- If an enemy takes damage when it's partly off-screen, it may not flash right away.  I hit a Shield Attacker in Jetman's stage, for example, and it flashed white only after it flew back my way and started turning back.

Otherwise, so far so good.  I've only played Jetman's stage up to the very difficult mini-boss so far, but even playing with a keyboard, everything feels pretty good.  I'll do more thorough testing later on.  If I can be bothered.

Offline Superjustinbros

• It's me.
  • Resistance Member
  • Something
    • View Profile
    • Super Justin: The Blog
Reply #444 on: July 15, 2013, 01:26:05 AM
Downloaded and spent a bit of time with it. I noticed it does the same "throw one steep difficulty curve midway through the level" gimmick as RM9, but it has a lot of good ideas for levels and enemies I either haven't seen in a fan-game or haven't been used often.

I also swear the game erased my save data at one point, I collected 48 screws, saved then quit out of the game; said save's no longer there.  8U

I also have to say I agree with Joseph Collins on the way Light and Wily are drawn in the intro. While the color choices aren't bad, the faces are a bit on the awkward angle.

But overall I'm enjoying this game.

Offline Chivelfeyr

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #445 on: July 15, 2013, 02:01:22 AM
So far, this is shaping up to be a classic. I'm really liking this. Vibrant color schemes, great music, and some interesting gimmicks (such as the glue in Glue Man's stage).
I just finished taking down the last of the 8 robot masters and am in what's left of Wily's Castle. I'm getting tired now. So, I'll probably wait until tomorrow to tackle that.

[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Offline IQ-0

• Ice Queen Zero
  • Resistance Member
  • Friendship Advisory - Magical Content
    • View Profile
    • 1CC Gaming
Reply #446 on: July 15, 2013, 02:26:52 AM
Those stages are tough. I like what I'm playing so far.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #447 on: July 15, 2013, 03:03:02 AM
I'm... on the fence about this one. More in depth thoughts will come later, but there's definitely a few things I'm not too fond of.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #448 on: July 15, 2013, 06:12:02 AM
300 MB of hard drive space, 500 MB of RAM, and basic chemistry fail :/

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #449 on: July 15, 2013, 06:48:20 AM
That's something I'm a little curious about.  Why does it take so much memory to house?  Granted, it's a far cry from the likes of say... Farcry, but I mean, Street Fighter x Mega Man was about double the size of either of the Wii games, but this is ten times the size of that!  Rockman 7/8 FC were a little bigger than the Wii games, as was Day in the Limelight 2.  Both the modern SuperDanny games are around that size, too.  In contrast, Perfect Harmony's most recent version is about 105 MB in size, but it has an assload of content, huge sprites, ridiculously complex backgrounds, and lots of non-8-bit special effects.

As far as the topical game goes, the main culprit here appears to tbe the "levelart" file, which weighs in at 132 MB.  Why?  "guns" (which I assume is either just the player weapons, or all projectiles for all active sprites) comes in at 78 MB.  "cutscenes", "gameobjects", and "menus" of all things are all over 10 MB in size as well.  The other three files, "cutscenedefs", "levels", and "misc", are all under 1 MB.

So my question here is, why is this game, which should be roughly the length of Mega Man 4-6 (at a guess), so damn big in file size?  Even if everything except the music was left as raw assets (GIFs, PNGs, etc.), I genuinely can't imagine how it could possibly be that big.  Did you leave the music and sound effects as full, uncompressed 16-bit 44.1 Khz sampling quality WAVs or something?  I almost want to say that would be justifiable in case this game was picked up commercially... but I'm pretty sure that Ogg format doesn't require a commercial license to use in profitable projects and it's just as efficient at WAV, but much, much smaller.