Do you know any good places to buy Cosplay Costume?

VirusChris · 4586

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
on: September 23, 2013, 10:01:38 PM
Do you guys know any reliable sites where you can buy cosplay costumes? I'm looking for a good quality KH2 Sora Outfit to wear at the New York Comic-Con coming up this October and I don't trust eBay for something like this but I also think eBay is possibly not a good place to get such costumes as well.

And finding a Keyblade to go with the Costume will be just as tricky, does anyone know where I might get one (the Kingdom Key) to go with the outfit?.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 10:14:41 PM
Kind of hard to give recommendations seeing as we all live in different places.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 10:25:56 PM
My suggestion would be to look for a cosplay community and see what they recommend.  When it comes to costuming, for example with the 501st Legion, the community will often have sellers.  But, be aware that for a high-quality piece, you'll need to spend a lot of money.  For example, a good stormtrooper rig will run you at least $500.

Looking over eBay, I'm seeing various sellers with prices ranging from $90 to $100.  If you're looking for higher quality, try searching for parts of the costume, rather than the entire costume.  The price will be higher, though, if you buy it piecemeal.

Also, another option would be to find patterns and buy the fabric, and pay someone to make the costume for you.  This is what most professional cosplayers do, if they don't make the costume themselves.

Archer

Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 10:26:05 PM
Make it yourself.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 10:45:35 PM
Make it yourself.
This might actually be the best option. I mean, some of the costumes you'd find online for sale can be a bit shoddy, and a lot of the really good cosplays you see were likely handmade.

If you lack the talent to make it yourself, then you might be screwed, but there's always room for practice.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 04:45:43 AM
I lack the talent for making clothes and seeing as the Comic-Con is soon drawing closer I might just go with this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kingdom-Hearts-II-2-Sora-Cosplay-Costume-Wig-Shoes-Tailored-Free-Shipping-/271108619666

Have to pay like $250+ for it, which isn't too bad, but I'm not even sure where to begin making my own clothing and I have zero experience in that field.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Archer

Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 04:48:31 AM
I'm not even sure where to begin making my own clothing and I have zero experience in that field.

You have to start somewhere. It'll probably be pretty bad when you first start sure but practice makes perfect.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 04:57:20 AM
Wish I could lend you my brother's Kingdom Key (that he bought off from a random guy at an anime convention who needed money; the guy realized he spent all his food money on it).

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 04:59:08 AM
You'd be surprised with what you can find at a Good Will and Hobby Lobby.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 05:06:59 AM
You think my costuming skills came out of nowhere?  Hah!  When I first started seriously costuming, I visualized the end result at its absolute worst and worked toward surpassing that.  Many costumes have surprised me with how good they came out, but I've had a few lousy ones in the past.  Once I started working with duct tape, however, I was building more complex costumes.

Rather than focus on a difficult costume, start small and easy.  I started small and easy, even with my duct tape costumes.  I can't sew worth a lick, but I at least try, and usually I'll attempt to cobble together a reasonable facsimile from whatever I can find in second-hand and military surplus stores.  I'm scouting the latter for pieces for my Imperial officer uniform.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 09:16:30 AM
If you're only ordering one now, it won't make it in time. You should do this months in advance, especially if there's an issue with the costume.

If you're still looking for a legit Keyblade I guarantee there'll be shops with them on the show floor. Dunno what the prices are like though.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 12:47:57 PM
If you're still looking for a legit Keyblade I guarantee there'll be shops with them on the show floor. Dunno what the prices are like though.
Considering what that guy I mentioned earlier paid for before selling his Keyblade to my brother: about $80.

But he sold it to my brother for $30! 8D

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 11:33:59 PM
You know, I could make you one.  I could cobble together a keyblade with duct tape, cardboard, and a broom handle.  With general measurements and a good reference, I'd have it done in an afternoon.

However, I'd most likely charge more than what the dealers would.  I need to cover my costs, after all.