Miyabi Holds New Contest, Spambots Rejoice!

Rock Miyabi · 9486

Offline Rock Miyabi

• THE ORIGINAL Jammin' Ninja
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
    • Miyabi on dA
on: August 29, 2012, 04:07:38 AM
Accredited locksmith psychiatrists with great content articles, this is not for you! Although I do take pride in giving you all great, exceptional information and completing fantastic jobs, and totally welcome that praise. But now I ask you all here at RPM to be the ones completing fantastic jobs for me, so that you shall be rewarded with rockin' prizes!

Since the internet gods apparently were giving me a sign to start spamming my own plugs today, I'm here to announce another small fanart contest for anyone who is interested in joining.

Rock/Techno Album Cover Fanart Contest

RULES:

Two categories as usual, and you are allowed to enter in both if you would like. If you place in one category, you will be automatically disqualified from the other, for reasons of fairness, and to give other people a chance to win a prize.

CATEGORY 1: ROCK
~ Album front and back cover

CATEGORY 2: TECHNO

When the 25th Anniversary Rock and Techno soundtracks were announced, a lot of people weren't thrilled with the concept of another Classic-only remix CD, when other series haven't gotten much love in the official mix realm. Others didn't care for the lazy CD cover sprites or bland typography. They just don't really scream "Rock" or "Techno." So your goal in this contest is to revamp the CD by creating your own album cover art that you think would better suit both a true 25th album, and give the art that "rock" or "techno" appeal. Put your frustrations to bed and prove to the world what would really make a great anniversary album!

At the moment, we don't know what tracks will for sure be on either album, but everyone has their opinion on what they would like to hear on them. The other half of this contest is to also create a back cover, showcasing the stages/themes you would like to see on this 25th Anniversary Rock or Techno album. 10 Tracks? 17? 25? You make the call.

As we're having fun with this, you do not have to use Classic Series songs or characters only. If you think this album should be more X-flavored or Battle Network-heavy, you can incorporate that into your album art and song choices. Be creative, and show us what you think would make a great CD! The back does not need to be art-intensive, but the more effort you put into your design work, the better. The judging will mostly focus on your art for the front cover, but any additional pieces created for the back (or a full-blown booklet if you want to be that ambitious) will be taken into consideration in the overall judging. Your song choices have no bearing in the judging. That would be cruel.

PRIZES:

There will just be two winners for each category this time around.

* First place winner in the Rock Category takes home a copy of the Rockman 25th Anniversary Rock CD.
   Techno Category winner gets a copy of the 25th Anniversary Techno CD.

* The second place winners of each category will receive their choice of a 3-month dA subscription or an Archie Comics Megaman Graphic Novel.

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES:

Image size: Any size is OK, but please try to make your image canvas size a perfect square for the front cover. For example, 850 pixels x 850 pixels or 1500 pixels x 1500 pixels. Not 350 x 734. You have a little more freedom extending the length of the back cover.

Only submit your own work, as usual. Any character, major or minor, from any series is allowed.  Participants are allowed to submit from all over the world. It's easier for me to get prizes to US entrants, because international shipping is complicated and pricey, but I'll do what I can for you guys who aren't in the States.

Kids, ask your parents' permission first, as I will need your full mailing address to send the prize.

Entries do not need to be fully colored, but it is preferred.

Please keep all your entries appropriate for most ages. No nudity or extremely suggestive sexual content in your raves and mosh pit and backstage groupie art.

Entries can either be e-mailed to me at rock2125[at]hotmail[dot]com, or you can just PM/note me a link to your pic.

DO NOT post your pics in this thread, in your fanart threads or dA galleries until the contest is over. This is the fairest way for competitive reasons. I prefer to keep them all secret until the deadline has passed.

I'll edit a confirmed entry list in this journal when I receive them. So you won't be in the dark about whether or not I've received your entry.

DEADLINE:

The deadline for this contest will be Sunday, October 7th 14th, by 11:59 PM CST. This is a couple days before the CDs release, so that hopefully I can get the prizes to the winners as close to the release date as possible, shipping time depending, of course.

So, if you have any questions, feel free to let me know. Join in if you'd like and good luck to everyone who enters!

Confirmed Entries:  

Radix/Gonzo
Silversteeldragunn
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 05:48:37 AM by Rock Miyabi »

Previously was K.G. Inafunbags, Captain Heady, Damon Gant, and the guy who liked the blue bomber solely for the reason that he was blue.

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
  • Blow up! We want to blow up this area.
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 04:18:30 AM

CATEGORY 1: ROCK

CATEGORY 2: TECHNO
I see what you did there. Nice touch.

FEELS  ;^;Which has the massive scrotums?

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 06:37:04 AM
Very awesome, Miyabi! I hope you get some awesome entries this year.

Offline Rock Miyabi

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
    • Miyabi on dA
Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 06:01:36 AM
Just a heads up in case anyone here is still interested in submitting, I've extended the deadline one week to hopefully get a couple extra entries. Submissions are now due by next Sunday, October 14th. I've got one entry for both categories right now, so still a good chance to win! But you know, it'd be nice to have some actual competition.

And if you're not sure which category you'd rather enter for, enjoy the samples posted at TMMN. Quite psyched to finally have a Wily Capsule rock remix myself, although curious how the whole medley will play out. And disappointed there's only three of them in it...Hahaha. C'est la vie. I'll take it.

Previously was K.G. Inafunbags, Captain Heady, Damon Gant, and the guy who liked the blue bomber solely for the reason that he was blue.

Offline Rock Miyabi

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
    • Miyabi on dA
Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 04:23:06 AM
For anyone interested in seeing the results, well, the only results are that everyone's a winner.

So in the end, I just had 4 people enter, one of whom submitted something for both categories. Not much of a competition, much less did I feel like it'd be super fair to judge one entry over the other. But I don't want to keep delaying the contest just to get more participants. So I just decided to dig deeper into my wallet, and give all 4 participants a copy of the CD of their choosing.

Nevertheless, enjoy the art of what are, in my opinion, much more creative ideas for an album cover than what we officially got. And a celebration of the CDs in general. Here are the entries. Click each artist's name to go to their dA submission of their piece:

Rock:

Silversteeldragunn -

Rock-Bomber -

Techno:

RADIX/Gonzo -

Tabby -

Rock-Bomber -

My thanks to the participants and to those who enjoy their art!

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
  • Blow up! We want to blow up this area.
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 05:04:19 AM
That's awesome, Miyabi. I hate that I am talentless and couldn't enter myself. Props to all the artists as well. You guys are doing a good thing here, even though it seems lackluster in the number of submissions.

FEELS  ;^;Which has the massive scrotums?