PlayStation Meeting 2011 (PSP2 Time? Let's Go!)

Jericho · 9545

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #50 on: January 28, 2011, 07:05:22 AM
There will always be external batteries.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: January 28, 2011, 03:02:28 PM
You know, I'm sensing Sony about to pull an Apple with this thing.  Charging like $300 to replace the unit's battery when it stops holding a charge.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: January 28, 2011, 07:33:37 PM
Thankfully, Sony isn't Apple.
I doubt they will ever be as awesome as Nintendo's support, but they won't charge 300 to replace a battery.
With Apple it's possible because their users don't really have the faculties to buy and replace their own batteries. If Sony were to charge such a large amounts, the NGP user would be more likely to cough up 10USD for a Tri-Wing Screw Driver, 50USD for a new Battery, and 10USD Shipping.
Especially when they've already gone out of warranty and there is no reason to not open up the device.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #53 on: January 29, 2011, 12:06:05 AM
You do have a point.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: January 29, 2011, 12:32:30 AM
Usually I expect my portable devices to be good for flights.
Which is the reason why the Game Gear wasn't as successful as the Game Boy. People don't like short battery life because the whole reason of a portable system is a long play time and being compact.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #55 on: January 29, 2011, 03:14:25 AM
I see the Apple-vs-handhelds deal as a modern extension of PCs-vs-consoles.  Everyone SAYS the do-everything device will replace the rest.  Everyone is wrong.  What Apple is doing is getting gaming out to people who probably don't want to carry a dedicated gaming machine in the first place.  So much the better, because in their fight to survive, the giants might remember some old tricks that they'd previously forgotten (like REPLAY VALUE, though Nintendo's better with this than most).  Me, I want a games machine first, though I'd be lying if I said that decent music/movie/internet wasn't fun.

The PSP2 looks awesome, although I won't be getting one, since it wasn't that long ago I got a 3000, but it looks like a respectable machine.  More so than I was expecting, since earlier reports suggested that it would be download-only and that appears to not be the case.  Lack of UMD is I think a necessary evil.  Sony learned that they simply cannot support a disc drive and a graphics powerhouse drawing off of the same battery, even if it is preferable to the Go.  It annoys everyone and rewards the pirates who hack the thing to run off of memory cards.  My only concern is how long the original PSP's network support is going to last, seeings how it is at current my only link to PSN.

I could tear into the inconvenience of size and the ease with which the analogue sticks would get mangled, but let's be honest; ANY model of the PSP requires a carrying case for rugged journeys.  Most of us as gamers learned around the original GBA that as the screens get prettier, non-clamshell designs have to be treated like glass in order to maintain them.  If it didn't phase Sony last time, it won't this time.

Dual Analogue is lost on me, as it has always been.  The most significant use of a right stick I ever did was Cinnamon's Action Trigger in XCM.  I'm really not sure how Dual Analogue is supposed to work with only two shoulder buttons, but if that's what the PSP crowd wants, good for them.

I'm sure the NGP will be expensive.  Not necessarily proportionate to the tech, though (in terms of comparison to the 3DS), since Sony is generally willing to sell at more of a loss than Nintendo.  They just have to watch that they don't take it to such an extreme as to launch some tech-giant that they cannot support at a reasonable price, as happened with the PS3's launch.  In fact, I'm kind of wondering how money is going to influence things on both the consumer and developer sides.  Everyone was bitching about sale price and dev costs when the 3DS was announced, and you KNOW the NGP is going to surpass that.  Probably won't do the battery any favors, either, depending on exactly how high they're willing to jack that price up.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: January 29, 2011, 04:08:40 AM
Dual Analogue is lost on me, as it has always been.  The most significant use of a right stick I ever did was Cinnamon's Action Trigger in XCM.  I'm really not sure how Dual Analogue is supposed to work with only two shoulder buttons, but if that's what the PSP crowd wants, good for them.
With the rear touchpad, I really don't see a need for the right stick either, but it's not in the way and it opens up more options. I can't really hate it. It just seems redundant.

Also, I'll probably avoid touching the front touchpad.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #57 on: January 29, 2011, 04:00:36 PM
It's been pointed out that the rear touch pad opens up the possibility of "pinch" movements between the two.  I'd probably consider that about as significant as DualShock 2's pressure-sensitive buttons, or Nintendo's analogue+digital override triggers.  As in, maybe one or two games will use it for something interesting.

it's not in the way
That may depend on hand size (I'm ginormous, ask PB) and your tendency to pull the Super NES dash-claw maneuver.  At least it certainly does with the Dual Shock controllers for me.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #58 on: January 29, 2011, 04:47:32 PM
Dash Claw?

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #59 on: January 29, 2011, 08:01:35 PM
Using a second finger to hit the right face button to dash. It's for the guys that don't dash with a shoulder button.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #60 on: January 29, 2011, 10:30:08 PM
Using a second finger to hit the right face button to dash. It's for the guys that don't dash with a shoulder button.

Why would you not use the shoulder button? Did they not know there was an options menu, and by the time they found out, they already were too used to Dash Clawing?

Also, Command Dash.

Aresian

Reply #61 on: January 29, 2011, 10:45:42 PM
*reads the rest of the topic*

*looks down at the ground and curses*

Hm.

*looks at everyone*

I hate you guys. Just thought you'd ought to know.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #62 on: January 29, 2011, 11:06:04 PM
Why would you not use the shoulder button? Did they not know there was an options menu, and by the time they found out, they already were too used to Dash Clawing?

Also, Command Dash.

Different strokes, man. Some people prefer to use the shoulder buttons for weapon switching.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #63 on: January 29, 2011, 11:26:09 PM
That may depend on hand size (I'm ginormous, ask PB) and your tendency to pull the Super NES dash-claw maneuver.  At least it certainly does with the Dual Shock controllers for me.

Tis true. His hands are monstrous! XD

I, for one, love Dash Clawing. Like Sato mentioned, I like using the shoulder buttons for switching weapons!

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #64 on: January 30, 2011, 12:12:28 AM
I prefer the Dash Claw personally, the A button feels more reliable to me for whatever reason.

Also, Command Dash.
Command Dash sucks :P

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #65 on: January 30, 2011, 12:23:57 AM
Indeed it does.

I, for one, love Dash Clawing. Like Sato mentioned, I like using the shoulder buttons for switching weapons!
I dash-clawed until I bought X Collection.  By then MMZ had warmed me up to shoulder button dashing, plus I got the GCN version, so I made the switch.

Posted on: January 29, 2011, 06:19:25 PM
I hate you guys. Just thought you'd ought to know.
You're neither the first nor the last. :P

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #66 on: January 30, 2011, 01:16:07 AM
Until X4, I always just used my thumb to lay over the dash button, and never had a problem with it. After beating X4, waiting for X5, I went back and said "shoulder button probably makes a hell of a lot more sense" and had to retrain myself to use it, haha. Now I tried later for kicks to use to the old method, but I couldn't understand how the hell I ever did it that way. It doesn't work for me now. It's a good thing I did retrain myself, since Z1 was right after X5 and use it to dash.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)