PlayStation Meeting 2011 (PSP2 Time? Let's Go!)

Jericho · 9479

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
on: January 27, 2011, 07:01:28 AM
What to expect: Tons of PSP2 news and other goodies.

Damn, I've been slacking with the info fetching and relaying. Anyways, topic is about the conference set to start like.. NOW. Links to liveblogs on the event are below. Discussion is go.

Live blogs:

PS Blog
Kotaku
Eurogamer
IGN
1up
Engadget
GameSpot

Conference Start Times:

East Coast: 1 a.m., Jan. 27
West Coast: 10 p.m., Jan 26
Japan: 3 p.m., Jan. 27
England: 6 a.m., Jan 27
Sydney, Australia: 5 p.m., Jan. 27

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 07:14:24 AM
Um, I don't think the links work.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 07:23:04 AM
I'm going sleep now so I won't get to see this live. When I wake up I expect the PSP2 to have been revealed at a ridiculous prize that will end up costing at least as much as a PS3  right now. If it's everything the rumors say it is I can't honestly see it any other way.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 07:35:28 AM
So far the latest PSP2 info

-Dual analog sticks
-six access controls
-front and rear cameras
-new game media
-big big screen
-touch pad on the back

Posted on: January 27, 2011, 12:34:07 AM

Looks nice!

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 07:35:45 AM
Twin analog sticks. About [tornado fang]ing time.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 07:41:46 AM
Won't mean a damn thing if they suck as much as the one on the PSP.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 07:51:00 AM
Except they actually look like sticks this time.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 07:54:08 AM
Wow...... Way to compete against the 3DS, except that it probably will lack 3D. XD

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 07:58:01 AM
Judging by all the things this system has going for it (so far I'm pretty impressed actually), there's no possible way in hell this thing is cheaper than $300

Posted on: January 27, 2011, 12:54:38 AM
-NGP will connect with mobile networks

There's the possible Phone announcement.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 07:59:05 AM
As nice as this looks, like PB said, there's no way this can be under $300. I honestly think that they're rushing this out to quickly. With these graphics and advanced interface, i would be genuinely surprised if this doesn't pass $400 at LEAST.

Aresian

Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 07:59:49 AM
At least it doesn't look like a small piece of [parasitic bomb]. Not sure how I feel really... as long as everything isn't download-able crap and there are actual physical games, I might be interested. Though hacking will probably commence anyway. Either way... It is what it is I guess. I'm more interested in the games, as I never care about the "functions" and "media" of the PSP.

EDIT: Blasted mods with higher powers than me. Double-Post button your post, PB 8|

EDIT 2: KTHNX!

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 08:01:10 AM
Sadly, I'm pretty sure they'll only go the Downloadable Games route with this thing.

LoL, and I was getting to that Sheepy!

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 08:12:03 AM
The game cards look SD-derived. Which is good, because SDHC cards (4Gb+) are cheap like crazy now at 20$+.

Aresian

Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 08:12:27 AM
Sadly, I'm pretty sure they'll only go the Downloadable Games route with this thing.

Excuse me while I start crying.

I think I speak for most of us when I say I want physical copies of at least most of my games. Especially those over $19.99.

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 08:20:16 AM
[youtube]sXoVDJWP12I[/youtube]

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 08:21:33 AM
Excuse me while I start crying.

I think I speak for most of us when I say I want physical copies of at least most of my games. Especially those over $19.99.

It wouldn't bother me as much if it essentially didn't spit in the face of those beginner PSP owners who bought the UMD games and now can't play them on the NGP.

Also, I kinda wish it was called the XGP so I could name my system the Outlaw Star.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 08:29:09 AM
Can I be really honest? PSP1 never once attracted me (and I'm sad that I missed out on some good stuff because I didn't jump on that train.)

PSP2 takes all of the flaws PSP1 had though, kicks them square in the nuts and substitutes so much [tornado fang]ing awesome. I really hope for something in the 250 range but I just know I'm going to be disappointed. I waaaant it. XD

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 08:36:51 AM
"I am currently working on a new project for that dream." -Kojima

Unless that title is ZOE3, [tornado fang] you Kojima! XD

I really hope for something in the 250 range but I just know I'm going to be disappointed. I waaaant it. XD

OLED touch screen, back touch pad, possible phone capabilities. I'm gonna say a 0% chance it's under $300.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 08:41:32 AM
I'm going to put it in the ballpark range of 450-500$. I could be wrong, but this is the impression I get.

Aresian

Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 08:42:47 AM
Can I be really honest? PSP1 never once attracted me (and I'm sad that I missed out on some good stuff because I didn't jump on that train.)

PSP2 takes all of the flaws PSP1 had though, kicks them square in the nuts and substitutes so much [tornado fang]ing awesome. I really hope for something in the 250 range but I just know I'm going to be disappointed. I waaaant it. XD

I am honestly curious. What are the differences that I didn't notice. The flaws the PSP1 had that the PSP2 is gonna fix?

Again, not being condescending.

"I am currently working on a new project for that dream." -Kojima

Unless that title is ZOE3, [tornado fang] you Kojima! XD

It's just gonna be Metal Gear Fucksaijf;oedaw.

Now I'm being an ass. But it's sadly true. And ragefilling.

I'm going to put it in the ballpark range of 450-500$. I could be wrong, but this is the impression I get.

I will forever hate Sony even further. And will only pay $50 bucks, no less. Just like the PS3.

I'll also hack the [parasitic bomb] out of it with an axe.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 09:00:34 AM
It's just gonna be Metal Gear Fucksaijf;oedaw.

Now I'm being an ass. But it's sadly true. And ragefilling.

Oh, no chance it's ZOE3.

I don't think they're that stu.....

....yeah

Posted on: January 27, 2011, 01:44:33 AM
Well that's pretty much it.

Here are the specs and everything courtesy of Kotaku

Honestly, I think it looks pretty neat. It's technically what the PSPGo! should have been instead of asking customers to pay more for less. The PSP2 or NGP has a lot of potential, but the overlying issue is definitely going to be the price of the thing and judging by everything that we've seen about the NGP, I think it's safe to assume that at the very very least, this is looking to be $300+, possibly more. If anything, it's probably made the anticipation for their E3 conference pretty high right now, as this will probably dominate their E3 time. It most certainly gives them a hardware edge over the competition at E3 this year.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 09:07:37 AM
One thing to note: despite augmented reality being present, Nintendo is not Sony's target with this handheld. In fact, I think they couldn't care less about the 3DS. Sony's going for a much bigger thread, especially with all that stuff about social media and 3G support.

Sony wants Apple. This thing is going to try and go toe-to-toe with the iPod Touch and iPhone.

Aresian

Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 09:10:32 AM
I read Bluetooth and quit the game. I hate this thing already. Touch screens... bluetooth, a buncha other crap I don't care about. Why not just call it PS3 Portable and run with it? >_>

I'm... so very sad. And I know I'm the only one who will be, because I'm a crazy tard who can't stand crunched technological multi-devices.

I mean, I look at this list and I'm thinking... "is this thing a PSP or a phone?" and we all know I hate phones. Well, I won't ruin it for you guys. You techies are gonna wet yourselves in various juices. >_>

I hope the sticks aren't useless though.

One thing to note: despite augmented reality being present, Nintendo is not Sony's target with this handheld. In fact, I think they couldn't care less about the 3DS. Sony's going for a much bigger thread, especially with all that stuff about social media and 3G support.

Sony wants Apple. This thing is going to try and go toe-to-toe with the iPod Touch and iPhone.

That's my big issue. But that's ALWAYS been my big issue with Sony. Microsoft too. They aren't game companies. They're overbearing technological corporations. And that's bad by my opinion. Of course...

inb4 lol opinions.

Offline Kit

• #1 wizard of disappearing
  • Master's Unit
  • hue
    • View Profile
    • Art stuff
Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 09:17:31 AM

they dont think it be like it is but it do

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 09:33:00 AM
I am honestly curious. What are the differences that I didn't notice. The flaws the PSP1 had that the PSP2 is gonna fix?

Again, not being condescending.

Well for one, I'm glad that Sony has (even if it's only partially as of now) realized that a portable device needs to be supported not by the amount of nerd [parasitic bomb] you can do with it, but moreso by the games and the potential for games that differentiate themselves from their console "big brothers". As much as the Uncharted/Killzone/KOjiPro/Epic UE3 stuff screams "O HAI IM A PORTABUL TRYING 2 FIT IN WITH THE BIG GUYS", stuff like the demo of Little Rascals, the implementation of their own Tag/Pass Mode, the playing with AR modes and face tracking/cameras, abolishing the battery devourer that was the UMD disc drive, and their comments on using the system as one means to bridge the gap between the console & portable shows me that they're learning to an extent. Now, as much as I paint a nice sounding picture of the future with broad strokes here while sounding really hyper for this one device, they can evaporate all of this goodwill. There's a ton of [parasitic bomb] going on here that can change things for the worst (rising potential dev costs and ease of making games for the little guys that can't go balls deep with the system due to funding, expertise, etc; Sony's insistence on making "Jack-of-all-trades/master of none" devices; the constant belief shared by like 98% of the industry that following or doing battle with Apple is the future for all game devices and they need to hop on that train "nao!" [Nintendo notwithstanding]) and set very nasty precedents for the portable realm moving forward, but I want to remain positive for now. Staying overly critical would only lead to me becoming jaded as the info on the system info begins to trickle out.