Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
on: March 08, 2010, 05:30:53 AM
What's your opinion of it?

I'm tempted to call this my favorite one in the Classic series so far.  The weapons are useful, but not in a broken way (which is what 9's felt like).  There's a really unique feel to all of the weapons here, and not a one of them is useless.  Here's my opinion on the individual weapons themselves:

Chill Spike

This my personal favorite weapon in the series, as it acts like an improved Ice Slasher despite it's lower range and rate of fire.  You can follow it up with pretty much anything, making it quite versatile.  The whole 'tire trap' thing is just icing (pun intended) on the cake.

Water Shield

This one's pretty unique; unlike the other shield weapons in the franchise, this one appears piece by piece, and is destroyed in the same manner.  Jewel Satellite was better in the protection area, but I find this one far more useful in terms of versatility.  Shoot, you can use this as a machine gun at close range (try it after freezing larger enemies!), and also for hitting enemies at unconventional angles.

Triple Blade

Pretty darn versatile weapon.  Covers a decent range, and you've got to love the fact that bosses take multiple points of damage if you hit them with more than one blade at a time.  Makes short work of most bosses (particularly Strike Man), and conserves energy pretty well too.

Rebound Striker

This is pretty much a better Gemini Laser, complete with extra damage per bounce!  This is pretty much one of the more strategic weapons in the game; you can knock the Block Devil out in no time flat if you play your cards right with this one.  The fact that it's aim-able gives you plenty of freedom.

Commando Bomb

Reminds me of the Firefly Laser from X5, only stronger and you actually have the ability to move this time.  It's a bit risky as you can unintentionally shift the direction while trying to avoid something, but the damage is well worth it.  Pretty much how I deal with ignorant soccer goalies and crabs alike.

Thunder Wool

While it does require some set-up, it 's pretty powerful.  I'm not exactly sure how the "double cloud" gimmick works yet, though.

Solar Blaze

Reminds me of the Pharaoh Wave from Power Fighters.  Interesting concept, what with the ability to set it off early, and it can also clear up some space rather quickly.  I don't use it all too often, but it still has it's moments.

Wheel Cutter

Wow, this one blew me away with the wall-climbing gimmick.  It's certainly faster than ladder-climbing, and the fact that the wheels actually climb walls on their own is amusing.  I like the fact that you can use it to pull a quick evasive maneuver if need be.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the creativity that went into to this.  I'm interested to see how the MM Killer's weapons will complement the current arsenal.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 06:06:15 AM
Water shield reminds me of Junk Shield.  Still seems like a good weapon.

One thing I'm liking is hoe not rushed MM10 feels like.  And one area it shows is the weapons.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 07:21:30 AM
I think the weapons in this game are a lot more fair than in MM9.  Keep in mind though, I do love me some broken weapons as well as MM3 Broken Rush Jet, or as I'm now going to refer to it as the BRJ!  They really need to get some new BRJ action going.

Anyway, I though all the weapons in this game were very well though out overall.  Water Shield is probably my favorite weapon out of all for it's good protection & awesome close Super Soaker power.  I really liked Chill Spike & Commando Bomb for the fact that the damage comes not so much from when the weapons directly hit you, but rather the Explosion or Spikes.  Personally, I'm just happy that MM finally gets his OWN spikes to screw over enemies with.  NOW HE'LL SHOW THEM WHAT HE HAS TO DEAL WITH.

Also, I thought it was a nice touch that Capcom made several weapons the Colors of the other two Playable Characters.  Water Shield = Rock, Commando Bomb = Blues, and Thunder Wool = Forte.

Offline Duke87

• Not an Interstate
  • Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 08:36:33 AM
Water Shield

Just when you thought it couldn't get better than Jewel Satellite... it did! It's not as good at protecting you, but it's so much more effective at ripping [parasitic bomb] to bits. Castles, soccer machines, flaming birds... they got nothing on this puppy.

Solar Blaze

Good against chill man, and good in some of the challenges where you need to avoid taking damage for a gold crown, but otherwise it's slow and it uses a fair ammount of ammo, so it's not really that great in general.

Chill Spike

It gets an automatic boost for being the weapon that kills the otherwise invincible spine things in this game. And you can have a lot of fun against Nitro Man with it (let him run over the spikes, or even more hilariously, just keep freezing him in the corner), but otherwise it's primarily about freezing things, not about doing damage... which, while useful in some select circumstances, is not a good trait most of the time.

Wheel Cutter

The wall climbing ability is interesting, sure, although I haven't found too many circumstances where it's particularly useful. Still, it's good for dropping on things much like Plug Ball was, so it's decent.

Commando Bomb

Meh. It's good for blowing up those walls, but otherwise... not really. Even Blade Man, who's supposed to be weak to it, is better fought with just the buster.

Triple Blade

Magma Bazooka reloaded! You get plenty of ammo, it's better against any boss than just the buster, and potent mid-stage as well. What's not to like?

Rebound Striker

I don't find myself using it much, save against Sheep Man and the Block Devil. Bankshots never were my style...

Thunder Wool

Blech. Slow, clunky, uses lots of ammo. I'm tempted to call it the most useless weapon in the game, but I suspect Mirror Buster will do it one better on that once the DLC is released.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 06:43:08 PM
All in all, I definitely prefer 9's weapons if only cause they're broken. But 10 has other issues, too. 9's weapons were good at anytime, but 10's are for the most part situational and at times gimmicky (looking at you, Thunder Wool). 10 is also stingier on the ammo. Rebound Striker would be so much better if you had a bit more ammo for it.

However, I think Triple Blade is better than any of 9's weapons. Mama loves a spreadshot.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I was born with this face...
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 07:20:31 PM
10's weapons are a lot harder to use, especially when you're fighting the RMs. Also, you don't have much ammo to work with. But the W-Tanks more than make up for this.

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 07:37:41 PM
I´m still waiting for a time stopping weapon  which allows you to change weapons...
Anyways, the weapons in 10 seem nice a more useful than in other games (looking at you MM5!) Tripple blade would be my fav if I could play 10..hehe

Offline Krazy Monkey

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 08:03:20 PM
Commando Bomb

Meh. It's good for blowing up those walls, but otherwise... not really. Even Blade Man, who's supposed to be weak to it, is better fought with just the buster.
You must not be using it correctly, then. Blade Man takes plenty of damage from the Commando Bomb, if it explodes near him, upon contact with the wall (rather than hitting him with it directly). This is also the case for the Weapons Archive, when it's using Frost Man's data.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 08:29:17 PM
Rebound Striker would be so much better if you had a bit more ammo for it.

LoL, it would almost be Metal Blade if it did, which would have been awesome mind you, but still incredibly broken.  Clearly they weren't going for broken weapons in this game.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 10:32:19 PM
10's weapons are a lot harder to use, especially when you're fighting the RMs. Also, you don't have much ammo to work with. But the W-Tanks more than make up for this.

Very true. With them, ammo count doesn't make much of a difference. Unless you're playing on Time Attack or Hard or something.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 01:21:27 AM
Given that this game, unlike 9, features W-Tanks, the higher ammo consumption isn't all that surprising.  It's still fair, I think, although the lack of a "spammable" weapon does show.  That is, until you get Triple Blade.  And Triple Blade's enough. 8)

It's nice to see an "NES style but not actually on NES" game, because I can only imagine the death-flickering that would be induced by Water Shield on an actual NES.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flok

• Passionate Gamer
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Killsringman
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 03:32:49 AM
I dunno, Mega Man 9's weapons still amaze me (God Black Hole Bomb rules so much), but Mega Man 10's weapons got it's ups and downs.

Thunder Wool is the most situational and requires a lot of energy plus positioning and more time than other weapons.

Commando Bomb is my current favorite weapon, granting you remote control of it and it's splash effect is great.

I didn't know that you could wall climb with Wheel Cutter so I will have to test that out first before I can fully judge it. It is a good spammable weapon though, especially from below.

Triple Blade is sexy and easy to use.

Water Shield however is even sexier and makes awesome 8-bit sound while it can combo enemies out and instant destroy them. I'd figure that Water Shield would require the amount of Thunder Wool instead, seems to be more reasonable. 2nd favorite weapon, and a lifesaver.

Solar Blaze is a bland fire weapon though, but good for clearing out enemies from both sides. Next to Thunder Wool a lesser weapon.

I honestly need more time with Rebound Striker before I can comment on it.

At first, I found Chill Spike to be pretty lame. What a fool I was. It's the game's perfect initiating attack towards enemies and it's the most spammable one. 3rd favorite.

Flok's favorites:

Offline Duke87

• Not an Interstate
  • Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 04:38:11 AM
You must not be using it correctly, then. Blade Man takes plenty of damage from the Commando Bomb, if it explodes near him, upon contact with the wall (rather than hitting him with it directly).

Yeah, if it explodes near him. It's slow, he's fast. Quite tricky to actually connect with it. So much easier to just follow his pattern and use the buster.

Weakness fail, I say.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 05:34:40 AM
I wholeheartedly disagree.  BladeMan is very easy to beat when you use the Commando Bomb.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 02:52:08 PM
Even easier when you know how to land a double hit.

Offline yanmaoption

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 06:14:06 PM
Triple Blade 5/5
A very useful, wide-spread attack. The fact that it spammable helps a lot. The only downside is the limited angle. You can't shoot at something that's too high up in the sky or too far below, no matter how hard you try.

Water Shield 5/5
A useful not-too-broken barrier. It may not be able to reflect bullets and each water ball may only has 1 HP, but the multi-hit part of this weapon is just sweet.

Commando Bomb 4/5
A controllable bomb with a huge blast area. What more can I say? (Only if it has more ammo than that...)

Chill Spike 2/5
I don't find much use for this weapon. I might be able to freeze enemies and all but I find killing them from faraway before they have any chance to hit me better. The range is weird and the spike part needs set up. The good side of this weapon for me is that it's the only weapon to be able to kill certain kinds of enemies, and freezing the truck and watch them collide to each other is hilarious.

Thunder Wool 1/5
USELESS WEAPON EVER (Well.... Maybe it's more useful than Zero4's Tractor Shot...)

Rebound Striker */5
I need to play with it more to be able to rate this one.

Wheel Cutter 4/5
A spammable and reliable close-ranged and ground-hogging weapon. The climbing part is also useful and can be use as a substitute for Rush Coil.

Solar Blaze 3/5
I might rate this sweeping, guard-breaking fire bomb higher if not for the fact that it's unspammable. Other than that, the weapon is quite useful.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 07:51:19 PM
Solar Blaze 3/5
I might rate this sweeping, guard-breaking fire bomb higher if not for the fact that it's unspammable. Other than that, the weapon is quite useful.

It is if you switch to a different weapon and back. Or do it the old fashioned way by pause cancelling.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 03:34:19 AM
Call me crazy but I hate that "pause cancelling", valid an oldschool throwback as it is, now has a name and is considered an actual tactic.  It makes MegaMan games feel like some elitist physics-breaking experiment, like SSBM.  I blame MM9's rankings.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline kuja killer

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 10:43:53 PM
It is if you switch to a different weapon and back. Or do it the old fashioned way by pause cancelling.
i tried to do the weapon switching trick many times last night since i see people do that on the Time Attack so they can keep hitting chill with no delay never having to wait for one of the solar things to leave the screen, so he goes down in like 3 or 4 seconds, but damn it's way too hard for me trying to do the weapon switch back and forth.

i always get stuck shooting with the wheel or rush coil instead of geting back to solar to shoot immediately. :( if i was able to do that, then i'd make it to the top 3 fastest for sure.
Im in 4th place on 360 for chill man with 1:45, then there's this giant 6 second gap between me and 3rd, where the top 3 guys do that weapon switching trick. :\