The Best of The King of Fighters

RetroRespecter · 1966

Poll

Which of The King of Fighters series is the best in your opinion?

The King of Fighters '94
0 (0%)
The King of Fighters '95
0 (0%)
The King of Fighters '96
0 (0%)
The King of Fighters '97
0 (0%)
The King of Fighters '98
2 (40%)
The King of Fighters '99
1 (20%)
The King of Fighters 2000
0 (0%)
The King of Fighters 2001
0 (0%)
The King of Fighters 2002
1 (20%)
The King of Fighters 2003
0 (0%)
The King of Fighters XI
0 (0%)
The King of Fighters XII
1 (20%)
The King of Fighters XIII
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Offline RetroRespecter

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
on: August 06, 2010, 02:50:07 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, children of all ages, welcome one and all the KoF only topic, The Best of The King of Fighters!!! It is here that King of Fighters game past and present can be freely discussed without worry. King of Fighters fans, let's hear your thoughts!!!

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 05:32:20 AM
You suck, you got my hopes up. I was hoping we'd see a giant ass dream match using all the sprites from 96 to XI. They really need to do that. Give it either 98UM or 02UM's system, maybe toss in dream cancels from XI. Awesome [tornado fang]ing game it would be.

'94/'95 - Sucked. Clunky as hell.
'96 - Series finds its stride. Goenitz was difficult and a dick with his everywhere tornados, but he was beatable.
'97 - Great game. The Orochi Team and the final boss were great. Orochi got Rugal's genocide cutter and Goenitz's anywhere-on-screen attack, but it was an awesome battle.
'98 - Make Some Noise! Everything great about the last four games combined and the return of Omega Rugal, who was tough but beatable. Easily one of my favorites.

'99 - Weird changes to the system. Back roll snaps you forward, striker system. Not as good as 97, but good. It also has the only decent boss of the NESTS sage, Krizalid.
2000 - Unmemorable. Cloned Zero was a bullshit boss.
2001 - [tornado fang]. This. Game. Two things came out of it: Yuri gets a Raging Demon rip off and the striker system hits it's peak. Zero returns from the last game, even CHEAPER with [tornado fang]ing SPAMMING STRIKERS and THEN.. THEN! This mother [tornado fang]er. Igniz. The worst boss I had ever faced in my life. Are you [tornado fang]ing joking? This guy was complete bullshit. After beating this game once I didn't touch it in god knows how long. [tornado fang] Igniz.
2002 - Another dream match. Drops the Striker System, goes back to a '97 style system, return of Rugal. Beefed up. Worse than his '98 incarnation. At least he's beatable. Nothing like [tornado fang]ing Igniz.

2003 - Something about this game just feels refreshing after coming out of that slop that was the NESTS saga. Like, just thinking about it, 2001 is all dark in my head and then 2003 is a ray of sunshine. Love the tag out system, definitely made the gameplay more interesting and more hectic. Two final bosses depending on performance. Adelheid, Rugal's kid, is tough but beatable. Love him. Mukai brings back another "HIT YOU ANYWHERE" attack, and it's annoying at times, but like Goenitz, he's beatable. Thank god, too. Igniz was such a bad taste in my mouth.
XI - The only appearance of a new favorite, Oswald. Great character. Improves everything of 2003, but then you get to the bosses. Mother. [tornado fang]er. First you got Shion, KoF's Bridget. Androgyny incarnate. They designed him as a woman and then go "No, it's a dude". Shion makes ASH look manly. And he is BULLSHIT. However, once you get used to him, he's beatable. And then.. My. God. What were you thinking, SNK? The absolute most bullshit final boss in all of King of Fighters, Magaki. You know what Bullet Hell is? Welcome to the fighting game version of it. This guy will spam projectiles everywhere. He will explode in your face everytime you get near him and he will not hesitate to use his full screen super the moment you drop your gaurd. He is bullshit. I hate him.

Not played XII, no need to. I'll play the complete version, XIII. I hope it'll be fantastic. I love this series.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 06:17:49 AM
Without being redundant...

And it looks like we'll need to add...

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 07:50:32 PM
Lack of Maximum Impact Regulation A (which was actually a very great game) makes me  ;O;.

Any way, to me, it's some where between 98UM and 2002UM as being the best the series has to offer at the moment. Though XIII does definitely have promise...

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 08:39:35 PM
Oh yeah, can't believe I forgot MIRA, I need to play that more.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline TheOnly

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 12:46:56 AM
I think SNK if famous like that with cheap bosses and all, other then that, I loved KoF:MI2... That's the name right? The one that's 3D for the PS2.

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 06:25:02 AM
I think SNK if famous like that with cheap bosses and all
....What?

Edit: Oh, it just hit me. Is, not if. Yeah, now it makes sense.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 08:08:28 AM
KOF2002, 2003.
I haven't honestly played all of them.... but those are my favorities.
I wish I could play 2002 Unlimited Match. : <<
Or any of the console ports for dat matter.
In due time... in due time.