The Debate: MM9 OST vs MM9 AST

Satoryu · 5046

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
on: December 07, 2008, 07:18:53 PM
Anyone remember PB's comparison of Mega Man X's soundtrack to Maverick Hunter X's? You probably do.

Anyone remember my comparison of Castlevania Rondo of Blood's soundtrack to Dracula X Chronicles'? You probably don't, actually.

Well anyway, this is a similar project. This is a comparison between the chiptunes present in Mega Man 9, and the Arranged Sound Tracks CD. But compared to those other comparisons, this one has a twist. Both PB and myself have compared the two lists, offering our own takes on them. Sometimes we agree, sometimes we don't.

This is done in the style of a debate. A point-counterpoint, if you will. One of us gives our opinion on a track, then the other person posts a rebuttal. He then reviews the next track, and it loops until there's no more songs to review.

PB can add his own introduction after this, but for now, let me speak for myself. If we lived in an any more biased world, I would say the OST beats the pants off the AST hands down. But I actually tried to be open enough to put things like that to the side. Be fair, you know? But still, in general the AST isn't my cup of tea. It's different from what Inti's done with its other arrange/remix CDs; it has a different purpose overall. I guess I don't like the changes for the most part.

I could have just done this by myself, but honestly, PB just such a better job at this than me. He's more musically adept, I guess is what I'm getting at? But I thought having two different viewpoints would be an interesting read. So there you go.

I'll let PB add his own preface now. And after that, we're on to the juicy stuff.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 07:30:15 PM
WORSHIP ME, FOR I AM YOUR...oh wait, I'm not at Lou's house...

You know, I really do need to repost that MMX vs. MHX Analysis I did.  I'll cache up that [sonic slicer] after I post this.  Anyway, yes Sato and I decided to do a Point/Counterpoint debate regarding the MM9 OST vs. AST.  Just like before, personal bias has been put aside and I offer up my take on each track.  However, this was slightly different from my MMX vs MHX analysis, mainly because the MM9 AST's are arrangements, and not just covers of remixes of said MM9 tracks.  Arrangements are meant to be different than the original, and I offer my opinion on where some AST's succeed and where some don't.

Either way, I hope you all enjoy reading this, as well as offer up your own opinions after our postings!   8D

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 07:37:20 PM
And now time for the match-up and face-off.

Ready, fighters!

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 07:41:52 PM
wheres The Blues Buster?
jk. thats awesome.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 08:06:45 PM
Gotta thank DZ for that awesome picture.

But now, onto the debate.

Opening/Prologue

Sato:
This is a mixed verdict for me. The melodies themselves fit very well and are pretty nice, so the verdict comes down to instrument choice, something that I'm sure will come up later.

The first part of the song (OPENING 1 on the OST) is supposed to be a short track that gives the feel of a flashback, because that's what's going on while the song is played. The AST translates the chiptune into a slow piano piece, which perfectly fits the mood. The chiptune doesn't sound somber or emotional enough.

While the piano work works perfectly for the first portion, it doesn't work at all for the rest of the song (OPENING 2 and 3). The chiptunes offer a sound that tells of a plot thickening and a call to action, respectively. Lighter, happier, and peppier than OPENING 1. But the AST continues to use the slow, sad piano to play the song, which doesn't fit at all.

Verdict: AST for the first part, OST for the rest.

PB:
Counterpoint: Satoryu, you ignorant [classy lady]! (props to whomever knows this reference)

Heh, only kidding.  As for the Opening/Prologue theme from MM9, it's a tough call.  The OST version fits the game so very well, with it's 8-Bit glory.  However, the AST version is also extremely well done, in terms of the awesome piano playing as well as setting the mood, just like the OST version.

The small difference that I give the OST version over the AST version is the Opening 2, aspect.  I really liked the AST version just as much as the OST version, since I'm a sucker for both 8-Bit and Piano.  However, the AST version isn't as good, in my opinion, because there isn't enough piano work done on the OPENING 2 part of it.  The AST OPENING 1 set the mood nicely, and OPENING 3 kept up the uplifting spirit just as well, or even better than the OST version.  But, they forgot about the OPENING 2 aspect of it, which was way way too short.  Just one verse from OPENING 2 in Piano form didn't cut it for me, and thus this one goes to the OST version of Opening/Prologue.

Verdict: AST & OST for Opening's 1 & 3 / OST for Opening 2.  OST Wins!

Title

PB:
This one is very short, and very kick-assin' sweet as well.  There is nothing wrong with either the OST or AST version of this song.  They are both very similar, so which one you will like will depend on your own personal taste, really.

For me, I've always been a fan of Rock.  The AST delivers the Title song is very awesome Rock form.  What makes this version my favorite of the two is the backup guitar around the 0:07 mark.  That is done very well and adds a little more to an already awesome song.  It is for that reason why I prefer the AST version

Verdict: AST

Sato:
Couldn't have said it better myself, really.

A simple title screen song, just the way it should be. Aside from the obvious differences, the only real change from OST to AST is the intro. The OST has a couple drum beats, while the AST has a longer drum fill accompanied by a guitar screech. I believe the AST added just enough to give it a slight edge over the OST.

Hornet Dance

Sato:
This is one of my personal favorite tracks in MM9, and it's one I don't hear too many people talking about. I love the original version because of its unique feel and ultra catchy tune. But I'm giving this to the AST because the AST Hornet Dance is one of the few songs on the CD that isn't messed around with. Nothing was altered, only added. The AST gives the song a funky jazzy feel, which I think fits the stage perfectly. And it makes the song feel all the more unique.

PB:
Like Sato, I'm a big fan of this track.  I felt that it definitely captures the awesome 8-Bit Spirit that many of the MM9 tracks do.  So how does the OST version compare to the AST version?

Simply put, the AST version is better.  In fact, I'd venture to say it's one of the better songs on the entire album.  As Sato said, they really didn't mess around with it too much.  Also, I loved the addition of Stevie Wonder's Superstition beat into it as well.  It was an awesome touch.  The AST simply adds on to an already awesome track.  Bravo, AST version.

...*very Superstitious...*   8D

Galaxy Fantasy

PB:
I'll just let you know right now, that Galaxy Fantasy is one of my favorite songs from the OST track.  It's super up-beat, very catchy, and the Fantasy like Galaxy sounds perfectly fit the mood of the level, especially the ending Hyperspace Jump before the loop.

Sadly, that Hyperspace Jump is nowhere to be heard in the AST mix.  Although I do like the tempo of the AST version, it cannot compare the the original OST version.  The OST version flows much better as a track than the AST version.  The opening of the AST version is unique and pretty funky, but overall, this one goes to the OST.

Verdict: OST

Sato:
Finally! A real disagreement!

This is one of the best tracks in the game by far. Instantly catchy and fun, just like a Mega Man song should be. There's absolutely no problems with the original version.

And thankfully, the arranged version didn't suffer any. The instruments and auxillaries elevate the spacey feel, without sacrificing any of the original's charm. I actually think some of the auxillaries are replacing the Hyperspace Jump, which I never really paid much attention to in the first place. This is what all of the AST tracks should be like. Making great tracks even greaterer.

Jewel Temptation

Sato:
Another song that doesn't get too much attention. Probably because everyone's preoccupied with making fun of Jewel Man's homoism. The OST version is very good. It gives a cave sort of feel, which fits the stage. And it's really peppy.

The AST version hilights my main problem with the AST in general. I expected the songs to sound very similar to their original counterparts. You know, like in RTRZ and ZX/A Tunes. But a lot of tracks in the AST take liberties with the original songs. A lot of liberites. They're less like arrangements and more like remixes.

Jewel Temptation is the first example of this. In a word, it's gay. The track is full of bells and weird vocals. It's slower and less lively than the original. But most importantly, it barely sounds like the original material. I find it really hard to pick out any similarities in the melodies. The AST version is too flamboyant for my blood.

PB:
Oh Sato, you made this one SO easy for me.  Where do I begin?  You know, I'll just quote the main thing here.

In a word, it's gay.

That's DAMN right.  It's SO gay, because it's suppose to be.  I think Sato here is forgetting one of the purposes of what a Musical Arrangement is.  Allow me to quote Dictionary.com

Arrangement
-Music.
the adaptation of a composition to voices or instruments, or to a new purpose.

This song does what I thought impossible.  It makes JewelMan even more fabulous than he already is, which is an achievement in itself.  What they do with the OST track is soften it and slow it down.  It goes from being a Coal Miner's type of sound into a rich, upscale Chelsea of Frisco lounge bar track, in which the customers are ordering Apple Martini's and are not chicks.

Granted, as Sato said, it can be sometimes hard to see similarities in the song, but they are still there, but softer.  I, myself, love the OST Jewel Temptation track.  However, the AST track truly puts the Temptation into the name of the song, and thus easily wins for recognizing JewelMan's fabulousness and putting it into soft, cockthirsty-ish music.  AST Jewel Temptation is one of the best arrangements on the entire album.

Magma Burning

PB:
As I said up above, Jewel Temptation is one of the best arrangements on the entire AST album, IMO.  However, now we come to the track that very well may be the best arrangement on the AST album.  I'm a huge fan of orchestration, especially when it comes to the Violin.  Simply put, adding the Violin to Magma Burning only improves upon the OST, which already needed no improvement.

The AST keeps just about the same tempo and pace as the OST does.  Both are very good tracks, but as I said, the AST Magma Burning improves upon the original with everything it adds on top of it.  The AST wins this one, hands down.  As I said, this very well might be the best arrangement on the entire album.

Sato:
Here's a perfect example of a weird instrument choice on the AST's part. The chiptune sets itself up as a high energy track, with what sounds like electric guitar driving the main melody. It sounded like a fire stage, as it should have. I distinctly remember this track because (God bless me) it was the first stage I tried out when I first played MM9.

The AST threw me a huge curveball. The main melody, and every part of the song aside from percussion, is strings. It's a nice sound, and the solo is nice, I'll give them that much. I really appreciate the track, but it creates too different of a feel for me. What PB calls adding violin, I call replacing with violin. If it had both violin and guitar, the AST would have been the clear winner.

Thunder Tornado

Sato:
Tornado Man's song was the first revealed to the public. And it's one of the big hitters in Mega Man 9's soundtrack. Ultra catchy, full of energy, an instant classic. It was remixed by fans before the game even came out. That's saying something.

But just like Jewel Temptation, the AST version is barely anything like the chiptune. The intro sounded very promising, but apart from that, the song is way too calm and way too slow. It doesn't fit the stage at all. Nor do I think it could fit any Mega Man stage for that matter. (That's another complaint with Jewel I failed to mention. And it'll come up in a few more places, I guarrantee it.) And it's just not my kind of song. This was going to be a victory for the OST easily.

PB:
Okay, I'll come right out and say it.  The winner on this track will definitely be the OST.  However, unlike a good portion of the MM community, I actually really do like the AST arrangement.  I think my partner in musical chairs here is mixing up the definition of a Remix and an Arrangement.

This is the definition of a Remix:
Remix: to mix and re-record the elements of (a musical recording) in a different way.

This is the definition of an Arrangement:
Arrangement: the adaptation of a composition to voices or instruments, or to a new purpose.

These tracks are arrangements, not remixes, and therefore will not sound like the OST version.  What this arrangement tries to do, IMO, is add a flying, air-like feel to the track.  The trippy techno beat comes off like a flight taking off, or perhaps a superhero before taking flight.  Then, after the intro, once the flight, or hero, gets into the air, he can fly.  It's as if you're as free as the wind.  That's what the arrangement of this track says to me when I listen to it.  I close my eyes and see myself flying through the clouds.  However, I felt this song would've been better without repeating the intro again.

In the long run though, the OST wins this because it is one of the best 8-Bit MegaMan songs ever made, since the very beginning.  As Sato said, this was the track they introduced the game with, and they definitely chose the right track.  When I first heard this, my excitement for the game erected and got harder than ever before!  This is easily one of the OST's best songs.

Concrete Jungle

PB:
The OST Concrete Jungle is one of my favorite tracks.  I love the drum-like opening to it, and then the awesome fast paced track afterwards, and capped off with the kick-ass bad-ass 11 second ending before the loops.  From start to finish, this OST track is concrete sexcellence.  But what off the AST?

The AST starts off great.  It uses the drums as it should.  Then, they do something unexpected, which I actually liked, and put that kick-ass bad-ass 11 second ending after the drums.  I thought it was pretty cool.  Ah, but then the song falters.  They keep the drums in the track, but then it seems like they forget to add in instruments to the main part of the track.  Which sucks too, cause I rather enjoyed the rest of it.  The Psychodelic Rock fan in me loves the ending to the AST as well, but the overall lack of instruments at the main part leads to this songs weakening blow, and thus makes the OST so much superior.

Sato:
Based on the definitions you gave, they still sound like remixes to me. And I'm comparing these "arrangements" to the other rerecordings Inti have done in the past. What they called Remasters, I guess. That's what I was expecting from the AST; to be full of Remasters. Jewel, Magma, Tornado and more aren't Remasters.

When I first heard this, my excitement for the game erected and got harder than ever before!

Was there so much excitement, did you fire a C. Shot on the keyboard?

Anyway, onto Concrete Jungle. This is a good song. But it's not a great song. Sure the Wood Man drum intro is nice, but nothing else from the track really stand out to have it compete with the other great Mega Man songs. This applies to both versions, as the OST and AST differ only slightly.

The AST has a slightly longer intro and a weird outro. But because the AST doesn't really do much with the track, and the instruments for the main melody I'm not fond of, I'll give this to the chiptune.

Splash Blue

Sato:
Splash Woman is so overrated. But I think her song is underappreciated. The chiptune is actually a different kind of song for Mega Man. It gives off a sort of serenity and calmness, partially due to the underwatery nature of the song. But the chiptune manages to keep a sense of energy throughout. Though alternative, it still sounds Mega Man-ish.

The AST, not so much. It does elevate the Under The Sea feel, complete with kettle drums in the background. But in sacrifice, the song is slower than before. I understand that that creates an atmosphere, which it nails perfectly, but I can't give this the victory because of that very reason. It no longer sounds like a Mega Man song. It has no energy. It could honestly put me to sleep if I had it on loop. And that's a big loop, considering it's a 4 minute song. But in it's defense, at least it sounds like the original song, unlike Jewel and Tornado.

And I am fully aware that I am the only person who would give this verdict (unless my sexcellent friend here wants to prove me wrong...)

PB:
Remixes are suppose to sound more like the original than arrangements.  Arrangements are more for taking the song and going for a whole different feel with it.  That's why I don't think it's fair to compare these to the Remasters, IMO.

Was there so much excitement, did you fire a C. Shot on the keyboard?

Perhaps I did!    8D

This songs might be my personal favorite among all of the AST tracks.  It perfectly captures the underwater feel of it, and it does it very beautifully with a very mellow and lovely melody.  It's one of the things I loved about the OST version of Splash Blue.  I was a fan of the OST track when I heard it.  It was right up there with WaveMan's track in MM5 for capturing the whole "Water" motive of the level.  The AST is no exception to this either.  In fact, it really only improves upon the original, with it's calming sound and almost calypso feel to it.

It no longer sounds like a Mega Man song.

This is what I was trying to get at behind the difference between a Remix and an Arrangement.  A remix would sound more like a MegaMan song, like something say the Minibosses or NESkimos or a few guitarist you might find on YouTube.  In fact, Here is a fantastic example of one, IMO.  This is more of a remix, and a really good one at that.  However, it's still the same sounding song, for the most part.  That's what separates an arrangement from a remix, or a cover.  The arrangement, like the AST Splash Blue, takes the basic aspect of the song and tries to do something different with it, or tries to take you somewhere with it.  In this regard, it absolutely does, and that's why I give the AST (Ass Splash Tits) the gold!

Plug Electric

PB:
And here we come to the last of the Robot Master themes.  This was actually a tough call for me, as I like both version very much.  The OST is very fast paced, very electric-y, and very 8-Bit Mega Man-y.  I don't think it'll take the Electric Level crown from MM3's SparkMan, but then that's tough competition that Plug Electric is up against.

With the AST version, I really like the Jazzy flare they added to it, as I'm a huge fan of the Jazz.  They still manage to keep the electricity in the song as well with the background sparks in the song at times, which was really cool.  Reeaaalll cool, man!  Heh, anyway, overall.  After much consideration, or listening to both tracks over and over again, I'm actually gonna give this one to the AST version.  I just really like what they did with the arrangement of this song.  Out of the the OST vs. AST's, this was probably my hard decision to make.

Verdict: 1.21 JIGGAWATTS... I mean AST

Sato:
Now that you've mentioned it, covers would be the best way I could describe RTRZ and ZX/A Tunes. And I never said to compare these to Remasters, I'm just noting that this wasn't what I was expecting from Inti.

Plug Man's song is in the same situation as Concrete Man. It doesn't do much to seperate it from other songs. It feels generic to me. Though I do like the short drum intro and the bit before the loop. The AST kind of helped giving the song a uniqueness. The song carries a jazzy synth feel, which fits pretty well. Two solos are included too, and I really like the second one, which is a rhythm solo. The heavy drum hits just get to me, man.

What do You Select?

Sato:
The OST starts off with those few notes that are a Mega Man staple, first heard in Ice Man's stage, I believe. I don't mind that. I don't mind the rest of the track either. It sounds very good. It sounds like the song that would play when you're choosing who you want to go after. It loops with a couple extra instruments, which helps it keep a little more fresh.

The AST starts out really good. It's jazzy, and it works. It keeps at it for a while. But at about 00:37, these auxillary sound effects come in which I guess is supposed to be applause. That kills the mood for me. Applause in any song that isn't a live performance (and they aren't always exempt from this criticism, either) does that to me. It comes off as arrogance on the performers' part. It also doesn't make sense in this song, cause it's not even halfway through. The "audience" "claps", "whoots", and "whistles" along through a loop, which also kills it. Then at one point, it sounds like someone is applauding with a squeaky toy. What the [tornado fang]?

PB:
Hmmm, I can't really add much more to this than what my Cohort of Concerto's just said.  I pretty much agree with every point he made.  Well, the applause thing doesn't bother me all that much, but overall the OST for this track is much better than the AST version.  The AST is good, but at the point Sato mentioned, is where the song kinda loses me as well.  Not cause of the applause really, but because it ruins the overall flow of the song, for the most part.

Meanwhile, the OST version keeps everything flowing perfectly, and as Sato said, the additional instruments before the loop starts again keeps it very fresh and lively.  I know I'm ready to go kick some Robot Master ass after hearing this.

Boss -Born Again-

PB:
Okay, this is a track in which I had to put personal bias aside for a moment, cause the MM9 OST Boss Track is one of my favorite overall Boss Track songs in the Classic series in general.  For those who don't know, MM2 is my favorite boss track, because I love that when the MM2 Robot Master charge up, the power up sound alters the track so that almost every one sounds different, which I always thought was bad-ass, even though it was possibly a glitch.  For me, the MM9 OST captures that feeling when I fought the MM9 RM's, and for that, it earns mucho PB points!  Plus, I find it addictive and catchy as well.  I bob my head back and forth to this song whenever I hear it.

LoL, okay that didn't sound like I put bias aside, and neither will this really.  Now, the AST starts off kinda slow, which I think was interesting and unique, and kinda adds to the mystery of whom your about to fight.  Then the main intro comes in with a kick ass riff and the addition of church bells, which gives it a very Hells Bells kinda feeling to it.  And then, it really kicks it up with a pretty awesome riff after that.  But then, the song loses me when it gets to the part before the loop starts again.  Granted, it's hard to capture the 8-Bit glory of that particular part of the song, but I think it could've been done better.  Keep in mind, I don't think the AST is a bad track at all.  If it wasn't for that one point in the song that I dislike, it might've moved up higher, but for me, the OST wins.

Sato:
I'm sure I speak for a lot of people when I say it took me a while to get used to the boss theme. It was very different from past games. But after a while, it grew on me. I don't think it's an especially great track, but it isn't bad at all.

The AST has an interesting intro; slow and quiet with a couple chords. But then it suddenly throws heavy rock onto you. Some might find the intro weird, but I actually think it's a good fit. I imagine the intro as a brief moment of peace before the huge battle gets started. Then when the fight starts, the guitar work pumps you up, making you want to kill the sonofabitch Robot Master. There's also the Hells Bells portion, as PB pointed out, just to give a taste of epicness.

I'm giving this to the AST because the original by itself doesn't sound enough like a boss track. Just something about it is missing; apart from the intro, it just doesn't sound bossish. The AST fixed this problem.

Suspense

Sato:
I'm not exactly sure what kind of sound this song is supposed to be giving off. It's not suspense, I can tell you that much. I do like the gradual rise in pitch; makes it feel a little less repetetive. The chiptune is a little more energetic, but the AST has better instruments, dominated by piano. The chiptune sounds a little more awkward to me. So I'll give this to the AST.

PB:
Well, I think it's trying to give off a Suspenseful type song, but I could be wrong here!  8D

I pretty much agree with Sato here on this one.  For such a short track, the AST does actually make it sound more suspenseful, along with it's great use of piano.  Heh, that's really all I have to say about it really.

Cutie Roll

PB:
I like both of these tracks a lot actually.  The OST combines the shop theme with the original Weapon Get theme to create a really nice piece of work.  The AST plays up more of the...well, Cutie Roll aspect of the track than the OST one does.  The AST is missing the MM2 Weapon Get from it, but it honestly doesn't really need it that much.  The song already sounds unique already without it.  Basically, this one just comes down to personal taste really, and in the long run, I'm gonna give it to the AST version.  As awesome as the MM2 Weapon Get addition is, I just like them playing off the Cutie Roll aspect better.

Sato:
Totally agreed.

The song fits perfectly with the scene it's used; it sounds like a shop. In both versions, mind you. It's a very cute song too. It kinda has to be with Roll around. The AST didn't mess with the original's sound and added a small intro. The cold ending is a little disappointing, but it's still a nice and fun track. I'll give this to the AST.

Flash in the Dark

Sato:
Here comes the easiest verdict for me to give out.

The chiptune is an amazing song. Extremely lively, full of energy. An instant classic, one that rivals Wily Stage 1 from Mega Man 2 for most memorable, if not best, Mega Man song. There is nothing wrong with it, at all.

Which makes the changes for the AST all the more perplexing. To put it shortly, Inti SHAT on this track. Whose bright idea was it to take a energy packed song like this, and turn it into a slow rock ballade? It just doesn't compute. The mood is absolutely killed by the pace change. If the chiptune didn't exist, this song might be okay. But this just comes out as a giant [tornado fang] you.

PB:
Yeah, this is definitely my "hands down no question about it" track as well.  The OST Flash In The Dark, simply put, is bonafide bad-fuckin-ass.  I was all pumped to kick Wily's ass again for framing Douchey McLight when hearing it.  I was bobbin my head, charging my Mazooka, and Shinin' My Jewel Satellite up so I could see my reflection as I busted some bots.

Then, along comes the AST version.  As Sato said, it's a soft rock version of Flash In The Dark.  That's not my main problem with it, since as I've stated, these are just arranged tracks and not remixes or covers.  My problem is that, overall, it's not even that good of a slow rock song.  The guitar work almost seems kinda lazy on it, like someone having too much fun with the whammy bar or something.  I can see if they were going for a somber type mood, as Rock has to once again fight through another castle, but overall, the AST version isn't very well done, IMO.

We're The Robots

PB:
Heh, okay.  I'm just gonna let loose my verdict for the rest of the Wily Castle stages right now.  The OST's are better.  I'll still discuss them with Sato here, but I just thought I'd let you know that now.  Having said that, I will say that the AST version of We're The Robots is easily the best AST Wily Castle Track there is.  It actually speeds up the pace of the track a little bit, and the techno additions to it are very well done.  Also, they up the pitch of it towards the middle of the track, which was pretty awesome.  It was done very nicely all together.  Overall, this is actually one of the better remixes on the AST track, so my congrats for that.

However, the OST version is just so well done that it beats the AST version.  From the opening to the ending, this is just a very very well put together 8-Bit track.  Especially for a Wily Castle track as well.  It keeps you pumped and shining that Jewel Satellite to see your ass-kicking reflection.  Plus, it's one of the longest single tracks ever, before it hits the loop and starts over again.  The OST We're The Robots probably ranks among the best of the Wily Castle tunes, for me anyway.  It's catchy, upbeat, and keeps that classic sinister 8-Bit Wily Castle tracks we all know and love.  Sorry awesome AST remix, but the OST just simply outclasses you.

Sato:
This is my favorite MM9 song. The sound is very unique and instantly catchy. Seriously, I can't help but "sing" along with it. My favorite part of the song occurs 31 seconds in. I fell in love with the quick falls that make up that portion of the song.

Thankfully, Inti didn't [tornado fang] this track up. Far from it, actually. The arranged version stays very true to the chiptune. The instruments fit very well, if not perfectly. The added intro and outro don't take away from the song. It's still really catchy. I'll say it, it's the best track on the AST. Why couldn't every song get this treatment?

It's a tough pick. Way too tough for me to make on my own. I was originally going to flip a coin, but instead I'll declare this a tie.

Strange World

Sato:
This song is hard to describe. The chiptune is lively, yet creepy at the same time. A very unique sound. The AST has its own uniqueness, too. The song is noticably slower than the original, but not so much as to ruin it. In fact, it might actually enhance the mood. The intro guitar riffs were nice, but the main melody has another odd instrument choice. I'm not sure if it's good or bad. The song itself could be better, but it could have been a lot worse too. I'm going to give this to the OST because of the uncertainty I have with the arrange version.

PB:
Now this is probably the second best Wily Castle AST track that's on the AST Album.  Nowhere near as good as We're The Robots, but overall interestingly done.  As Sato said, the intro guitar was a very nice touch, but then it's goes off into another instrumental choice, which could be simply to make the song sound strange, kinda adding to the title.  In the long run, I do like it.

However, once again, the AST is not as good as the OST.  Of course, you already knew I was going to say that, did you all?  I personally feel as if this track is underrated in the MM9 OST soundtrack.  Perhaps it just has two really hard acts to follow, in terms of the OST Flash in the Dark & We're The Robots.  This track is still top notch though, at least to me.  This is one of those songs that fit the level you're playing on so very well.  The title really does match both the song and the stage, and for that, it definitely gets the Victorwii.

Castle Of Evil

PB:
Again, this is another track that I thought was very underrated on the MM9 OST.  Like the previous track, this song, for me, totally sets the mood of the stage, for which as every MM fan knows, is going to be the Teleportation Room Stage.  Castle Of Evil fits that very well, although one thing I've always wondered is if they meant to name Wily Castle 2 - Castle Of Evil, and Wily Castle 4 - We're The Robots.  Personally, I think it would've made more sense, in terms of names.  But hey, that's just me!  Needless to say, I really really like this OST track.  It's very simple, to the point, and does it's job of mood setting very well.

As for the AST version of the song, I gotta say, I kinda like the Latin flavor with which they seem to be going with this.  After listening to it more, I might have to retract my previous statement and say that this is the 2nd best Wily Castle AST Arrangement on the album.  The AST takes this simple OST song and makes it into something more festive and salsa-ish.  Hehe, and we all know how I love to salsa, tango, and conga!  But, despite the latin heat coming from this song, which after listening to it again definitely makes me consider it the 2nd best AST Wily Castle Arrrrrangement, I still think the OST version is better.  Very good effort, AST.  One day, I might have to dance or make love to your rhythm!   8D

Sato:
You bring up a good point about the names.

The chiptune starts out with that Ice Man intro again. Then it goes into a creepy tune that screams Final Stage. It has this trill effect that I really like. But it's only a 30 second loop, which kinda makes sense, cause you're usually not going to hear this song for long anyway.

The AST certainly helps it break out of that short loop. The intro this time is a drum march. Actually, the whole song is like a march. Perhaps a death march? The trill is done with horns, which is really nice. But then a latin guitar comes in and plays a bit. That creates a totally unique feel. So much so I have to give this to the AST.

Wily Machine

Sato:
This is a pretty good final boss track. The siren effect is a really nice touch, and the melody is pretty damn catchy. I can't complain about the OST version at all. It's right up there with the other great Wily Capsule tracks, like in 4 and 7.

The AST starts out with an actual siren, and keeps it going to the very end, which really sells the mood. In fact, the whole intro is perfect, using the right instruments in the right places. But then the melody kicks in. I wouldn't have picked acoustic guitar to play that, especially when it clashes so much with the rest of the song. The guitar solo ain't bad, though. I want to like this song, I really do, but that one out of place instrument keeps me from doing so.

PB:
Okay, here is another track from the OST in which I had to put bias aside to review it, because as of right now, this ranks as my favorite Wily Capsule/Machine track from the Classic Series, and I love them all really.  The siren beginning is really kick ass, and then it goes into the main part, which is just great for your final fight.  The song, for me, absolutely gives off that final fight type of feel to it.  It sets a good pace.  And as you know, I really like to hear 8-Bit tracks while powering up, cause I think it can sometimes add something unique when it takes out the main instruments and leaves the background bass and drums.  This is one of the best tracks to listen to while E-Can or M-Can'ing it.

As for the AST version, I pretty much agree with everything Sato said.  For a rock arrangement of the song, it's actually very well done.  Great pace, great drum work, the siren adds to it and the background sound effects do justice to the song.  However, the acoustic guitar is very out of place.  They should've stuck with the guitar they used in the intro of the song.  If it didn't have the background effects, then maybe the acoustic would've worked, but the combination really doesn't fit well together.

Overdrive Scramble

PB:
Now we come to the two Bonus tracks from MM9.  The first one is Overdrive Scramble.  I really like the OST track a lot.  This is another one of those songs that matches the title very well, I think.  In terms of 8-Bit Quality, it comes off great.  Very upbeat, great melody, and also head-bobbingly catchy as well.  Overall, a very good track.

As for the AST version, I really like this version a lot too.  The song doesn't quite match the name, like the OST version does, but what they do is give the song a much more majestic mood to it, like someone traveling on a grand adventure.  The track could even pass for a theme in a Legend Of Zelda game.  The low piano into the slower mellow part in the middle, before the main loop starts up again, really adds a lot to the song, I think.  Again, it makes the track seem a lot more epic and majestic, almost like a movie soundtrack.  Personally, I really like the work they did on this arrangement.  This was another tough call for me.  I'm a huge fan of the OST version, but my vote for this goes to the AST version.

Sato:
Total disagreement here. As I don't like either version of the track.

Of the chiptune, the intro and the part starting 33 seconds in were nice, but this song feels generic. Not just on a Mega Man level, though. It feels generic NES.

Having said that, the AST goes once again for a completely different sound. Whereas the chiptune is peppy, the AST goes for slow and sad at first, but tries to cheer up in some places. It's because the entire track is orchestrated, which doesn't make any sense with the original material. It has a disgustingly out of place intro; it sounds like someone died or is going to die. Afterwards there's strings that try to lighten the mood. I say try because the main melody is still very depressing. At 1:43, it slows to a crawl, as if someone else has died and everyone's grieving. At about 2:50 it tries to be lively again, but I just can't feel it. It's still sad. And I'm just left confused as to why this track is like this.

I give the OST the win here because it's not depressing and it sounds like a video game song.

Maze of Death

Sato:
My feelings on Endless Stage are mixed. But what's a definite is my feeling towards the song. It's amazing. Instantly catchy, and does a couple things that you haven't heard before in a Mega Man setting. Whatever that percussion effect is that they play a lot, it makes the track. I can't complain about anything else, really.

The AST actually keeps an 8bit theme in a lot of places, which is a welcome change of pace from everything else on the disc. Actually, not much has changed. A few extra instruments, an inbetween portion, a sudden silence into a loop, extra use of the percussion effect at the end. Though I think they could've cut down on some things. It's almost a four minute track, and it doesn't need to be. I guess I'll penalize the AST for that, give it to the OST.

PB:
This won't take long actually.  I fell in love with the track the first time I heard it.  It's one of the best 8-Bit tracks ever made, in my opinion.  It's catchy, it has great 8-Bit-ness to it, and for the actual Endless stage mode, it fits perfectly.  This track deserves all the praise I believe it's getting, and possibly more.  Simply put, the OST Maze Of Death track is pure awesomeness.

The AST track was a pretty interesting arrangement, going electronica with it.  For what it's worth, I thought the synth electronica worked with the track, but I don't believe it's as good as the original OST.  As Sato said, it could maybe be because it's too long, but I just wasn't a fan of the rave they added in the middle.  So this one, hands down, goes to the OST version.

Epilogue

PB:
This is somewhat not a fair comparison, somewhat.  So, I'll just talk about the part of the AST that related to the OST Ending theme.  There's really not all that much to say about the OST track of this song, except that the scene it's played in is pretty awesome.  All the AST really does is put in a piano, and quite frankly, it works.  It gives off a very nice soft feel.  Again, there's not much they can do with the track, as it's not that long.  The piano of the AST version also is very beautifully done as well.  So, I'm going to give it to the AST version here.

Sato:
This is the only chiptune that is actually annoying. It's only a handful of notes, and the scene that they accompany goes on for a long time. So listening to the AST's version is a breath of fresh air. It's a pretty sad song, and I'm not sure if it really fits the mood of the scene. But then again, the chiptune doesn't really fit either. I'll give this to the AST because it doesn't sound annoying, and it does a little more with the handful of notes, enough to stretch it out to 90 seconds.

To the Bright Tomorrow

Sato:
This is a fun staff roll, and not just because of the little scenes that accompany it. The song is really nice. It has no awkward moments; everything fits. The "solo" at 1:24 stands out and makes the song a little more enjoyable. But I can't help but think of Splash Woman cockteasing Auto when that part starts up. I'm not a big fan of the ending, though.

The AST gives this song lyrics. They're nice and all, better than some other vocalists I've heard (looking at you ZXA Tunes). But I'm not really fazed by the singing style. I'm not a big fan of the Jap Pop Idol thing because there's just so much of it. An overexposure, really. It's tough to tell everything apart. And I know I'm the only person that feels that way. I do like the backup vocals that show up first at about 01:00. "Yu getto za pawaa" I think they're saying, which is cute.

The instrumental I can't complain about, though. The main parts are done really well. As is the solo, which is driven by electric guitar, a perfect match. I don't see a problem giving this to the AST.

PB:
And we come to it at last, the end of PB and Sato's Concerto of Chaos.  First off, I'd like to really point out my only real problem with the ending of MM9.  When the show the Robot Masters, they don't give their DRN or DWN #, which is pretty much a staple in Classic games.  A minor complaint, but it would've been nice to see.  Other than that, the ending images are awesome, especially Blues looking at the horizon, knowing that he's saved the day ONCE again.   8D

Anyway, the OST track for this is a very peppy ending song, and overall fits with the images and everything.  The AST takes the peppiness up to eleven by added the J-Pop singer at the end, which really adds to the song.  Honestly, I think she has a very lovely voice, and it fits well with the AST's arrangement of the song.  Like Sato, I also like the guitar solo in the song as well.  This one, will definitely go to the AST version.

And that's it. I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as PB and I enjoyed making it (I hope). To close it off, here's PB's Final Thought:

Quote from: Protoman Blues
And there you have it, RPM.  Please, take this time to tell us what you thought of the OST and AST tracks, whether you agree or disagree with Sato or myself, and maybe if you can add anything to our discussion as well.  We'd love to hear your opinions as well.  There is no right or wrong here, just personal tastes.

Fight and Listen for Everlasting Peace!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 08:11:46 PM by Protoman Blues »

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.