The way you play Mega Man games

Da Dood · 19566

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
on: May 03, 2009, 03:21:08 AM
We all know the classics like shooting according to the tune and moonwalking through boss gates in ice levels, but do you have your own unique quirks or ways to play Mega Man games?

For example, in classic games I barely use the pea shooter anymore. From the moment I get my first weapon until the final battle, I don't switch back to P unless I'm forced, and I try to manipulate my boss order to use all weapons to their fullest. (So P substitutes like Thunder Beam and Laser Trident tend to be my first weapons.)

Some of my quirks...

MM2: I try to kill the revenge bosses standing on the exit because the transition from dead robot to teleport room is so instantaneously surreal.

MM9: I place a Concrete Shot on the floor and air walk through the boss gate... ::)

X2: I tend to go back to stages after beating the 8 Mavericks so I can use all weapons and see their effects. Also, I rarely get the three Zero Parts because I love fighting him so much. I usually fight Serges and Agile for fun and leave Violen alone, since his second fight is just like the first.

X3: I don't collect the full armor set very often because there's just too much backtracking in X3 and the Z-Saber is a pain to use with all the buster charge levels. So in my runs I normally get the Foot Part and Chip and nothing else. Full mobility and fast Z-Saber FTW.

X1-X3: There is one particular frame of X's 16-bit jump animation that I adore (second row, 6th frame from left to right), and I try to jump through boss gates at that exact frame... I'm actually pretty good at this!

X4: I always let the bird in Frost Walrus's stage freeze the place. Such a beautiful sight.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 03:22:35 AM
Whenever I get the chance, I ALWAYS shoot to the beat of the music. (video)
If you have seen most of my speed runs, you know that I'm awesome at it too. ^o^

And I moonwalk too~

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 03:25:11 AM
I jump through the boss gates with guns blazin' most of the time. XD

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 03:25:45 AM
I mostly keep the charge button held when needed, you never know when you are going to fight a strong enemy, and I get the all the parts in the X series for best defense and grab lotsa health tanks to boost the health bar up to a boss' health bar.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 03:27:52 AM
If I can charge, I hold that button down at all times.

L for sliding and dashing.

Boss door, usually jumping and shooting. If it's X, Z, or ZX, I'll try dash or air dash and do fancy stuff. I've even gone backwards, wall-clinging through a door.

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 03:36:04 AM
Rock3, i Topspin through boss shutters.

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 03:40:34 AM
I ALWAYS jump through boss doors, either shooting or charging. In the very special case of MM9 and Dr. Wily's 3 level, I RUN while shooting.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline kuja killer

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 03:43:27 AM
Well for me, i like to try playing the games by using all the weapons equally instead of "only" using the mega buster, or a specific weapon all the time. Just changing weapons whenever needed, and trying different weapons on different enemies to try making the game more fun. :)

Offline Akira

• Mr. Fanservice & Vixy's cute boy
  • Neo Arcadian
  • BAKA!
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 04:10:58 AM
Whenever I get the chance, I ALWAYS shoot to the beat of the music.

Yus ! me too  >w<, or I play with 1 energy bar >w<, or only X buster

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 04:14:49 AM
How did I forget Top Spin through boss gates? X(

So awesome!

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 05:17:31 AM
X4-6 I try to make cool poses while going through the door by dashing, and going in on one of the frames.
or guns blazing. I  like trying to go in backwards wall clinging too sometimes.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 07:01:40 AM
in the PS1 MMXs, when possible, i try to enter boss doors while skidding at the end of a dash.

and in MMX4, there's one part of Split Mushroom act 2 where there are two pieces of rubble perpendicular to each other. it is imperative i wall jump repeatedly against that until it crumbles.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 07:11:15 AM
in X4, in part 2 of the intro stage, (as Zero mostly,) when you fall down that pit with the life and energy, with the closing walls, I HAVE to diagonal jump up the pit.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 07:16:04 AM
I just run, shoot, and hope I don't die...yeah I know I suck. -u-'

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: May 03, 2009, 07:18:03 AM
I just run, shoot, and hope I don't die...yeah I know I suck. -u-'

we share the same strategy  >w<

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: May 03, 2009, 07:34:10 AM
Well, I always jump through boss gates, plus shooting to the tune of the BGM is always fun... XD

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Fragman

• Made of Metal
  • Robot Master
  • My heart is made of metal
    • View Profile
    • AntiBunny
Reply #17 on: May 03, 2009, 12:43:25 PM
Any series.  If I have replinishable sub or E tanks, I will get lazy and just Tank an enemy.  That is I completely ignore defense and just chase them down, taking hits on the chin in order to keep hitting them as much as possible.

In the classic series I favor the blade weapons when there is one.  Everyone loves the metal blade sure, but who goes out of their way to always use the flame sword?

Strangely in all later series, even the zero series I prefer to use the buster.

Any boss with an AI exploit (like how some bosses never come to the left of the room or auto jump when you shoot) I refuse to use them, as I consider it an unfair fight.  Yeah sure I know I can just make Metalman jump into my shots, but I'd rather fire away while weaving through a storm of metal blades and come away with a close victory.  The exception is X7 sigma's first form, where I do exploit the unhittable upper right platform and V hanger combo for easy win just because that stage is too friggin' long.

When beating the final boss I have to make the final hit land in a good pose.  No having Wily bow and beg while I'm standing behind him.

I HATE LAVA!

Everyone knows that you have to jump through boss doors to be cool.

In EXE or Star Force I focus on having a theme to my folder and I stick to it, even if it's not the most efficient folder available.
Yes I know you can deal insti death with a bunch of vulcanseeds, but I'd rather use freezing and breaking, or grass and fire combos.

AntiBunny

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: May 03, 2009, 02:13:42 PM
mostly, I don´t have any special quirks, except that I sometimes tried to beat bosses with their own weapons....It only works with Metalman :P ...Oh, and I tried out the first time a fough Gamma how the top spin will work against him...you should have seen my face after that.
In the Z series I always finish up bosses by slicing them in half, I doesn´t feel complete without it

Offline yanmaoption

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: May 03, 2009, 05:08:32 PM
Everyone loves the metal blade sure, but who goes out of their way to always use the flame sword?
Me, 'cause I really love Flame Sword, and I always use it against Rm8's Wily 2nd form.

From time to time, I'll deplete all the weapons' energy to zero before finishing the already-cleared stages or the game if possible.

I like to kill bosses in a way that they are off-screen, or just cannot be seen on screen when they die, especially when I fight Jet Stingray, I'll chase him away with Frost Tower, go after him and repeat until he's at the top of the room when he dies. I love how the explosion looks like a star in the sky emitting light all over the place.

That's all I can think of now.

Offline Afro-Shroom

• King of the N00bs
  • Master's Unit
  • DWII's Lab Expirement Verifier
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: May 03, 2009, 05:38:26 PM
I always tend to go after tenguman first because he's not only fun to fight but seems more beatable with the megabuster then the FrostWave.  :P
On a side note, anybody here gets a few smirks if you just swing around SearchMan's Stage with the ThunderClaw?  8D

"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power! It's burning grip tells me to defeat you! Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! Shining Finger!!~ "

"This hand of mine is burning red! It's loud roar tells me to grasp victory! Erupting...Burning...FINGER!!!~"
-----
That one Nun...

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: May 03, 2009, 07:39:23 PM
I normally dash/slide through doors.

I also always choose the quad-shot over the plasma shot in X4 and I wish it would've stayed that way.

In MM8 and X4-6, I map the special weapon button to triangle. I love being able to use my buster and weapons at the same time.

I kill bosses whenever I can with the Z-buster in X5-6. I love it and hate that they've totally forgotten about it on the X side.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: May 03, 2009, 08:41:54 PM
In MM8 and X4-6, I map the special weapon button to triangle. I love being able to use my buster and weapons at the same time.

i use circle for that.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: May 03, 2009, 09:31:39 PM
Naked.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile