Momma Mia: Real reason Metriod Other M got delayed.

Guest · 3050

Helada Quemadura

Q: The big brothers at the Big N decided to upgrade to 4.3 for the sole purpose of killing more homebrew.

* Deletes the Homebrew Channel and DVDX, title IDs HAXX, DVDX, JODI, DISC, and DISK.
    * Now uses IOS80.
    * IOS254 stubbed BootMii is deleted.
    * Fixed Bannerbomb less stupidly this time.
    * Added IOS58.
    * HackMii Installer Userland+Syscall IOS exploit removed
    * NANDFS privilege escalation fixed
    * ES_AddTitleFinish now checks the signature (Trucha Bug Restorer and similar won't work anymore)

and with that Metroid Other M will fall under the new system menu

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 07:54:45 PM
I'm sure they'll have a full workaround in the next weeks or so. Till then I'll get Dop-Shop and do a Nand backup just to be safe. IIRC my Wii is set to block System Updates that come with new Discs anyways.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 08:09:43 PM
Wow,good thing I didn't update yesterday when I got the message o_O

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 09:05:24 PM
I never update anymore, Nintendo updates are pointless, as they don't actually improve anything except "security".  ::) What a load of bull, updating shop channel now.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 11:21:47 PM
One of these days I need to download Majora's Mask so that I stop caring when the Shop Channel access is cut off...

Well, it was unusually quiet on the update front for a while; although this Sony-esque "do nothing but block stuff" strategy is starting to get annoying.  I just wait for the work-around before applying an official update.  Deleting title IDs is completely senseless; that's the equivalent of an antivirus blocking a filename.  And HackMii typically has a pile of unused exploits at the ready, so I doubt blocking their installer will do much.  It took well over a year before their previous exploit was even identified by anyone else in the hacking community, probably why it took Nintendo so long to patch it (seriously, when they're this lazy, you can't tell me they're doing jack [parasitic bomb] for research on their own end).

* IOS254 stubbed BootMii is deleted.
HA!  Wow.  Just, wow.  BootMii as an IOS does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING except enable recovery (need for console keys makes copying data from another Wii impossible).  Anti-piracy my ass.

IIRC my Wii is set to block System Updates that come with new Discs anyways.
Yeah, one doesn't even have to alter their Wii's memory to do that; you can just load the game through Gecko.  Patching the system menu is just the more convenient way.

Posted on: June 22, 2010, 05:54:56 PM
Well, here's a bit of a predicament.  The 4.3 update prevents the Trucha Bug Restorer from working.  Now, at current I do exactly nothing that is relevant to that.  But, I happen to enjoy the occasional WiiRD code, and in going to test "always have charged attack" for MM10, I find out that for some God-forsaken reason Gecko requires a Trucha-bugged IOS to load Channels.

I have an unfortunate history of those "patched/custom" updates not wanting to work for me, for reasons I never really understood.  What to do, what to do....

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)