Protoman Blues · 4426

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Mega Man X vs Maverick Hunter X - A PB Musical Analysis

I thought I'd repost this.

LoL, before I begin, this is just my OWN personal analysis and should not be taken as fact or anything like that. I really like both soundtracks a whole lot. Basically, I was listening to both soundtracks and I decided to offer my own opinion and analysis of certain tracks VS one another, for the sake of amusement and to see other people's opinions about my opinions, as well as hear there opinions on the tracks as well. Now, except in the case of Viva Las Vegas, I pretty much ALWAYS prefer the original song as oppose to the remix and such. However, I'm being as open as possible about this and not letting personal bias get in the way. Well, as Mario says, Here We Go...

Password

LoL, since MHX has no Password song, I'll just get this right out of the way and give it to MMX.

Opening Stage - The Ruined Highway

I personally feel that the original MMX version flows better than the MHX version does. It's a tough call though, because the instruments that the MHX version adds to the song definitely makes up for it, I think. However, I'm going to give it to the MMX version for this track. It's superior flowmanship (making up words since 1980) I think works better myself.

VAVA 1 - Encounter With Vile

This one I'll easily give to MMX. It has a more epic, sinister, oh [parasitic bomb] he's in a giant invincible Ride Armor, feel to it than the MHX version.

VAVA 2 - VAVA Battle

However, for this, I'm going to have to give it to the MHX version. I just really liked this version better, as I tried to defeat my currently undefeatable foe. Plus, nice background sounds to it also, I thought. Hurray, a point for MHX!

ZERO

I'll give this one to MMX. I thought the drum (that's right, DRUM) work in the MMX version was better, plus in the MHX theme it cuts off the really cool part and gets perhaps a little too epic-y, if that's even possible.

STAGE SELECT 1

MMX, without question. The MHX version is good, but it doesn't have the same awesome opening "Soft sound leading into the Awesomeness" beginning to it. So this one goes to MMX.

Icy Penguigo/Chill Penguin Stage

This one I'll definitely give to MHX. I thought they did a very very good improvement on the frosty feeling of this stage. Especially the chilly music opening to the stage as well.

Launcher Octopuld/Launch Octopus Stage

This was a tough one for me to choose, as I've always loved the Octopus' stage. However, in the end I'll have to say the MHX version was indeed better. The sounds and techno beat they add to it really do the song great justice. Bravo, MHX!

Armor Armage/Armored Armadillo Stage

This one goes instantly to MMX. The MHX song cut down the awesome high paced speed of the MMX version, which I wasn't all that crazy about. Half the joy of the Armadillo's stage, besides the Hadoken, was the pure rush of jumping on that cart and letting loose your fully armed and operational Pink Mega Buster shot.

Storm Eagleed/Storm Eagle Stage

Okay, now this one, I'll admit, just isn't fair for me. Storm Eagle's stage is one of the greatest Mega Man tracks ever made. EVER. So any remix of it would have a really hard time to compare to the original. MHX came very very very close mind you, but ultimately I have to give it to MMX. I just prefer the guitar work and overall sound of it.

Burnin' Noumander/Flame Mammoth Stage

This one also goes to the MMX version. Even though they are actually very similar flow wise, I thought the back up guitar work is better in the original version of the track. Plus, the main guitar work (if you want to call it that) isn't as squeaky.

Boomer Kuwanger/Boomer Kuwanger Stage

This one was also a tough call, as I like both versions very much. The techno beat of the MHX version definitely adds to it, there's no doubt. However, the reason I give it to the MMX version is mainly because I think the opening and lead in to the loop of the song sounds a lot better.

Spark Mandriller/Spark Mandrill Stage

Okay, now hear was the toughest choice for me actually. Spark Mandrill is another stage that I consider one of the best song in all of Mega Man. Also, the MHX remix of this song is also my favorite remix out of all the MHX songs. It's truly awesome, as are both tracks. They are, IMO, equally good. There's only ONE reason why I think the MMX track is better, and that's SOLELY because of the Drum Solo that leads into the loop of the song, around 0:47 seconds into it. Hehe, you'll hear it, trust me. That Drum Solo is the only reason it scores higher.

Sting Chameleao/Sting Chameleon Stage

Without question, the MMX version is better. This was my least favorite remix in the MHX soundtrack. I wasn't fond of it at all. I didn't like the fact that they took out the backup guitar in the MHX version. The Backup Guitar makes the MMX that much more better, IMO.

Boss Apperance & Boss Battle

The MMX version of both is definitely more of an epic battle feel to it, so I'll be giving both to the MMX version.

Stage Clear

I really like the MHX version better, for some reason. I don't even know why.

Got Weapon

Also, I really like the MHX version a lot...but not more than the MMX version.

Dr. Light Capsule

Practically no change there really. So I'll give it to the fresh new sound of the MHX version.

STAGE SELECT 2

I don't know, I kinda found the MHX version lacking for some reason. LoL, this one I can't really explain why, so another point to the MMX version.

Sigma's Palace Stage 1

This was also a really hard choice for me, as this might be the 2nd or 3rd best remix on the MHX soundtrack for me. Ultimately though, I think the MHX version is a better version. They keep the suspenseful sting throughout the song, so that helps.

Sigma's Palace Stage 2

This is another really awesome remix from the MHX soundtrack. This one definitely goes to the MHX version, I think. They really added to the scope and feel of the song, I thought. Plus the guitar work simply kicks ass.

Sigma's Palace Stage 3

However, this Sigma Stage goes to the original. Although the MHX version did have a more eerie, Oooooooh I'm getting close to Sigma feel, the MMX version of it is just an overall better song.

Sigma's Palace Stage 4

The eeriness of this remix from MHX definitely helps add to the mood of going up the long corridor, to fight your hated foe. So MHX gets this one.

Sigma Battle 1

Even though they are very similar, I give this one to the MMX version because I just simply like the guitar work better.

Sigma Battle 2/Final Sigma Battle

However, for this track, I will definitely give it to the MHX version for the awesome grandness of it. LoL, the fight was still pretty easy, but still at least they made it seem much more epic.

Well, that's about it for my comparison. I'm curious to hear other peoples views on this, provided they have as much time on their hands as I do!  8D

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 07:03:34 AM
wow, am i happy to see this again.

i might give this a further analysis another time. but i will say i feel the complete opposite about Sting Chameleon. i never cared for the song on SNES. i actually think it's the most improved song in MHX. it felt bland before, but now has some actual merit to it. i don't know why, either.

i also disagree with Stage Select 1, Storm Eagle, Boss Battle, and Sigma 1. i really like how MHX does two variations of the tunes before they loop. it makes them feel less repetetive. in Sigma 1, for example, i love how the second variation drops all instruments except the guitar.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 07:26:57 AM
I fully agree w/ Armored Armadillo.  No guitar solo makes Cosake frown.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 07:31:47 AM
but i will say i feel the complete opposite about Sting Chameleon. i never cared for the song on SNES. i actually think it's the most improved song in MHX. it felt bland before, but now has some actual merit to it. i don't know why, either.

Wait, you're saying that the MHX version feels LESS bland?  How, out of curiosity?  The MHX version actually takes out the backup guitar that was in the MMX version, removing the high paced rock aspect of the MMX track, and actually mellows the song out, making it blander.  I mean, that's cool if you prefer it this way, but I'm curious as to how you think it's LESS bland?

i also disagree with Stage Select 1, Storm Eagle, Boss Battle, and Sigma 1. i really like how MHX does two variations of the tunes before they loop. it makes them feel less repetetive. in Sigma 1, for example, i love how the second variation drops all instruments except the guitar.

Hmmm, I may have to go into more detail as to why I prefer which version another day.  However, I'll respond to these...

-Stage Select 1 actually seems more repetitive to me, due to the utterly simple way it starts out, whereas the MMX has a much better lead into it.  There's nothing wrong with repetitiveness mind you, being that this is MM.  Still though, the lead in just makes the MMX song much better IMO.

-The MHX version of Storm Eagle would've have been much much better without all the pointless, useless background sounds they add into it, in the beginning, around the 0:17 mark, and then when it goes into the 2nd variation and then loops.  To me, it shows they tried to put way too much into the version.  Without that useless background noise, which TOTALLY ruins the intro of the song (which is hard to do with how [tornado fang]ing awesome Storm Eagle's Stage Intro is), I might have actually rated it higher than the MMX version, despite my bias towards the MMX version. Probably not, but it might've had a better chance.

-Boss Battle, absolutely disagree.  The MMX version starts off better as well as goes into the loop MUCH better than the MHX version. 0:14-0:26 goes on for WAY too long, 0:26-0:36 is 10 seconds of boredom, which goes absolutely nowhere with no guitar (not that the guitar work in this version is that good), and then right before the loop is extremely bland, again lacking the awesome MMX guitar riff. 

-Um, I thought the MHX version of Sigma 1 was better. 

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 08:32:41 AM
Wait, you're saying that the MHX version feels LESS bland?  How, out of curiosity?  The MHX version actually takes out the backup guitar that was in the MMX version, removing the high paced rock aspect of the MMX track, and actually mellows the song out, making it blander.  I mean, that's cool if you prefer it this way, but I'm curious as to how you think it's LESS bland?

that's the thing. i don't know. i just prefer MHX's version.

-The MHX version of Storm Eagle would've have been much much better without all the pointless, useless background sounds they add into it, in the beginning, around the 0:17 mark, and then when it goes into the 2nd variation and then loops.  To me, it shows they tried to put way too much into the version.  Without that useless background noise, which TOTALLY ruins the intro of the song (which is hard to do with how [tornado fang]ing awesome Storm Eagle's Stage Intro is), I might have actually rated it higher than the MMX version, despite my bias towards the MMX version. Probably not, but it might've had a better chance.

i actually like those extra bits. i don't think that ruined it at all.

-Um, I thought the MHX version of Sigma 1 was better. 

i meant Sigma Battle 1.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 08:53:58 AM
that's the thing. i don't know. i just prefer MHX's version.

All well and good.  That's your preference.  LoL, but to say it's Less Bland than the MMX version just really caught me off guard, when the MHX version is much blander.

i actually like those extra bits. i don't think that ruined it at all.

Extra bits are all well and good if they actually add something to the song.  Chill Penquin's extra Icey bits add to the Snow-ness of the level.  Launch Octupus's extra bits add to the underwater-y feel of the level.  Hell, even the mellow bits of the Sting Chameleon add to the forest-y feel of the level.  But the extra bits in Storm Eagle's stage add nothing.  It doesn't make it seem like it's "in the air" or even some kind of Airport.  They're just kinda thrown in there, and IMO make the song less awesome, as they add nothing to the stage.

i meant Sigma Battle 1.

Ah okay.  My point on that still stands.  I like the MMX guitar work better on that song, and although the 2nd variations in the MHX version are a very nice touch, I don't like the ending part in the 2nd variation before the loops starts again, where the cut out the drums and it staggers. 

Offline Shinichameleon / Nayim

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 09:29:17 AM
I prefer Boss MHX version cuz SNES ver sound like Megaman America ver :\ -_-.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 06:06:48 PM
I prefer Boss MHX version cuz SNES ver sound like Megaman America ver :\ -_-.

...I have no idea what this means

Offline Saber

• King of Knights
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「Archetype Hero」
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 06:09:30 PM
Oh boy, do I have to rewrite my entire post from back then again? x_x

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 06:11:09 PM
Haha, you could if you wanted!  It was a good post too.  However that's up to you!  8)

Offline Saber

• King of Knights
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「Archetype Hero」
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 06:29:42 PM
Would be a lot more convenient if I had access to the database and drag that thing back in here from the depths of Cyberspace.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 07:36:56 PM
Very true.  Hopefully the post can be found! 

Offline Shinichameleon / Nayim

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 03:10:07 PM
...I have no idea what this means

I mean Original version sound like kinda "happy-melody-boss battle 8D" to me, MHX sounds like really boss battle with hard techno, mostly like anime version, done.