Pringer X's Chimera/Frankenstein Sprites!

Pringer X · 13228

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
on: May 18, 2009, 01:45:57 AM
Ok, I suck at making sprites from scratch, so I opt to making Chimera/Frankenstein sprites (I'm not sure what the exact difference is, or if it's just personal preference). A couple times, they end up pretty freakin' awesome (I have to say my UltimaWEAPON sprite is my best), others are average (my over-sized Hell-blind Zero was a tiny palette swap with wings on it, but otherwise wasn't bad looking), and others look down-right horrible (no one's seen Power Man, and no one will -_-).

So, from here on out, this thread is devoted to my sprites that I put up (not sprite SHEETS unless otherwise stated), and people commenting on them, be they good or bad.

First up, my very first Robot Master that I made particularly for the EXE series (and this was made a LONG time ago, like '06 when I first started doing this).
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Next is Hell-Blind Zero made from MMZ sprites:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Ballade made for EXE...not one of the better ones:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

UltimaWEAPON made from EXE sprites:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Joe Man sprite sheet for Classic:
[spoiler] Joe Man summons the Joe Stomper, the Joe Copter, or Skull Joes to form a Skull Barrier, and shoots out: the crystal which freezes Mega Man, the hammer which deals a good bit of damage, or a spread-fire of the bullets Sniper Joes shoot (similar to how Flash Man shoots his buster). The Joe Copter comes in from three different positions: top horizontally and shoots downward, top corners shooting diagonally, or right side vertically and shoots while going up. The Joe Stomper comes down on top of Mega Man and then jumps back up. Upon beating Joe Man, Mega Man gets Joe Controller, and when used, summons the Joe of that stage to attack, and any other Joes on the screen are transformed into small energy ups. When hit, Joe Man just blinks, not going backwards or stopping.[/spoiler]

I was gonna make Ghost Man, but about half way through, it was just a crapped-out alteration of the Mega Man sprites from the Game Boy games.

Posted on: April 29, 2009, 05:05:52
Bump for love?

Offline Sky Child

• urine jokes
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 02:01:58 AM
I don't know how well Frankenstein's go over here, but these are kinda fun to look at.

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 02:16:21 AM
Well, many people started by doing chimeras. Just concentrate on improving a simple sprite, you'll eventually find shortcuts to the things you try to do often. Also, think about doing some shading. Don't rescale in MSPaint unless it's with the '+' or '-' keys. Also don't try to rotate sprites unless it's a right angle.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 08:00:48 AM
Chimeras...
Hehe, I did some, and still doing them, just with a bit more editing and stuff.

All I can say is just keep practising, and soon, they won't look as bad.

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 03:44:24 PM
Well, many people started by doing chimeras. Just concentrate on improving a simple sprite, you'll eventually find shortcuts to the things you try to do often. Also, think about doing some shading. Don't rescale in MSPaint unless it's with the '+' or '-' keys. Also don't try to rotate sprites unless it's a right angle.

What do you mean exactly by shading?

As for the scaling, I don't have a keypad for the + key and I don't know if I should hold 'shift' while pressing the = key (never really bothered to do it when rescaling something), and I remember reading something about how it's better to adjust the percentage of the image rather than fiddling around with the resize box, so is that something I should avoid doing? I kinda figured after the EXE boss/thing that I should avoid turning images, I just got lucky that on the Ultimaweapon sprite it was only used to add some detail to the tail (it seems to fit well with what I have).

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 09:55:22 PM
Ok, AGAIN, a bump, and probably the last in awhile. I finally finished the 8-bit Geo forms and put'em on photobucket:

Credit for the original goes to Cyantre from deviant art. I had to edit it heavily for the sprites though, since every pixel was in 4 different, yet similar colors, and spread out quite a bit. It's unorganized here, but I made a 'wallpaper' version that's a bit more cleaned up. The bits on the right were put there as a sort of "back up" in case I needed them again (like with Red Joker's wheels or the Zerker Sword).

I created this awhile ago in about 20 minutes, just for the heck of it. Someone posted a link that had all of MegaMan.EXE's style's on it from 3 and I decided to chop'em up and put'em together. I wanted to put the shield on the other arm, but I couldn't find a decent sprite that could make a believable shield.

I made a couple of wallpapers in case anyone wants to look at them:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 02:35:24 AM
Those look pretty nice.
Tribe King's sword... Not so much. >w<

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 03:17:11 AM
Those look pretty nice.
Tribe King's sword... Not so much. >w<

I figured as much XD It was sort of awkward to do since if I shortened it, it look too small. Part of the problem was that Tribe King makes Geo a bit bigger and there's no real way to 'convey' that without it making look different.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 03:24:16 AM
That's true...
Though another way might be to sprite the sword in a slanting position, and I don't mean that sear'd one on the side. >U<

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 03:27:01 AM
That's true...
Though another way might be to sprite the sword in a slanting position, and I don't mean that sear'd one on the side. >U<

I guess. If I redo the whole sprite and make the sword from scratch, I could probably put out a better looking one. (yeah, I know the slanted sword is kinda lazy, but I was surprised at how well it works on the backs, so I figured "what the hell?", and besides, there are quite a few minute details I've missed already, like the green lines all over Black Ace, I figured for a hack like me, it wasn't too bad).

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 03:30:50 AM
I see, I see.
Well... Go for it. >w<

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 03:37:20 AM
I see, I see.
Well... Go for it. >w<

To the Paint-Mobile! I couldn't find a clip of the scene transition thing DX

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 03:40:03 AM
+10 awesome for you. XD

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 05:46:16 AM
bump <.< I am alive, I just had to go to Illinois for awhile and I had no laptop to play on. The thing's on life support as it is DX

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 06:05:28 AM
Bump for Mega Armor

An idea for a fan game if someone needs it. The armor replaces the variable weapon system in favor of copying the Robot Master defeated. Drill Armor allows Mega Man to break open blocks and routes that are hidden (similar to the way Power Suit worked in MM6). Gyro Armor allows Mega Man to fly for an unlimited amount of time and shoot gyro blades that act similarly to their MM5 counterpart, as well as the Air Shooter (they can go either up or down and shortly afterwords, split into three, or hit for three times the damage if used in a straight line). Bubble Armor allows Mega Man to swim underwater as well as be immune to underwater mines and spikes (remember those shafts with spikes that were annoying? Bubble Armor makes them your [sonic slicer] now :D). Quick Armor lets you fire a Boomerang Shield, move twice as fast, and the charge shot also lets you do a Quick Dash to tackle enemies.

Knight Armor moves slower, but reduces damage by half, and the mace acts like a whip, with the shield reflecting bullets if they hit you from behind. Star Armor lets you become immune to spikes on land but can still be crushed, and fires a shooting star in three different directions (either directly in front, slightly up, or slightly down), while a charge shot summons stars to crash on the enemies (only those hit take damage, and it's much weaker than every other full screen attack due to infinite ammo). Shadow Armor allows you to dash through enemies by sliding and become invincible (though you deal no damage), and fires a shuriken regularly, while shooting three simultaneously when charged. Spikes also only deal 3 units of damage (in case you get knocked into them and can't change to Star Armor). Skull Armor is probably the most broken though, because when worn, even though you take twice as much damage and can only fire a waving skull, as long as you took a significant amount of damage while wearing it, you'll be revived with that much health when killed (instead of using a life), which means you could purposefully take damage to fill the gauge up right before a fight, then heal, and then fight the boss with effectively twice as much health without using an E tank, and it also comes with the ability to drop Mega Man's HP to 1 if the attack were to kill him (meaning as long as he has 2 points, the next attack will only ever do one, allowing you extra time to either hit them or refill your health).

I was thinking about doing Elec or Fire armor, but I couldn't think of too many abilities they could have that would be more beneficial and not just a one-off scenario. Knight, Gyro, Quick, Skull, Star, and Shadow can be useful at any point in the game, Bubble is handy for the water areas that usually infest a part or two for Wily's Castle, as well as revisiting any stage/area that has water in it, and Drill gets off with the excuse of being the only 'secret finder', and I think having three or more would be overkill if that was what their PRIME use was.