Base > News and Announcements

Hope for the Future or Corporate PR? Capcom Boss & PB Discuss Mega Man's Future

(1/13) > >>

Protoman Blues:
Capcom's Boss Talks Mega Man

Perhaps appropriate that we are approaching our hero's birthday, Capcom US head honcho Christian Svensson is trying to alleviate the fans worries that Capcom has no plans to ever touch the franchise again and that they are indeed plans in the works. Now whether or not this is corporate PR bullpoopy or legitimate is up to you. Personally, I do feel that they are thinking about the future of the brand. However, my problem is that I think they'll come to the same conclusion that I have, that the franchise is no longer profitable.

I do think there's a way to make the series profitable again, however I don't know if it can be done. Essentially, a franchise needs marketability and Capcom needs to garner new interest in the franchise. There are three prominent ways to do that: movies, TV, and video games. Since a live action movie of Mega Man will not be made, and more or less should not be made, that leaves TV and Video Games. Actually, it only leaves TV since the main problem is that the video games are really no longer profitable and only current Mega Man fans are interested in them, outside of the nostalgic group that might play a downloadable classic series game. But nostalgia will only last for so long. The Mega Man franchise needs something new to build off of, so TV is the answer. Since you cannot make a live action Mega Man TV series, nor should they, the only logical answer is to make a brand new QUALITY Mega Man cartoon series.

I say quality because the NT Warrior cartoon brought over here was just dubbed anime and wasn't really all that good, and as much as I love the RS-MM cartoon for its cheesiness, it's a terrible cartoon. Cartoons like that only interest the MM fanbase, just like the Archie Comic, and do nothing to draw in new fans which is what Capcom has to do. So, if I were Capcom, what I would do is hire the creators of Avatar: The Last Airbender to make a new Mega Man cartoon. Avatar is hands down one of the greatest cartoons ever made, and I do say ever. It has quality writing, fantastic characters & character development, great humor, awesome animation, and essentially everything a good cartoon & series needs. If they could use the same quality to make a new Mega Man cartoon, I think it would be a huge success. They would already have a brand recognizable character and an established fanbase that would watch in us, plus when they slap the "FROM THE CREATORS OF AVATAR" logo in front of it, you would have the interest of the Avatar fans as well. Then hopefully, if the cartoon is indeed good, it will gain interest just like cartoons like Avatar & the new My Little Pony did from totally new fans and well the rest is marketability.

The question is though, do you base a new cartoon off of an established series like the Classic or X series, or do you just make a whole new series all together?  Personally, I would just go for an all new series, because if you go with an established series you run the risk of just telling the same old story again, just in newly animated form. If you make a new series, then you'll have new games to base that off of, and you ride the hope that the new fans will also check out some of the older series as well. Either way, it's a long shot, but one that I think has potential. Like I said though, it has to be good. Of course, I'm not in charge of Capcom, so what I say doesn't matter unless I start a petition or something. Heh, maybe I should start a petition, just for the fun of it and see what happens.

Anyway, what do you think of this proposal?

Kieran:
I think Svensson's just trying to placate American fans while the Japanese branch doesn't even acknowledge Megaman's existence anymore.  There's the Archie comic book, but I can't see that gaining enough interest to revitalize the franchise.

Protoman Blues:
Comic books are definitely not the answer. I'm an avid comic book fan and I can tell you that the industry as a whole is not doing well. Plus, in all honesty, the comic is not that good. It's enjoyable for a fan like me, but it's a comic for kids and I guarantee kids are not really reading it, just MM fans.

This is why I suggested a new quality cartoon, because if it does well enough over here it can very easily be ported over there to Japan to garner interest from that side of the world as well.

Acid:
If Capcom still wants to get stronger on American market why not gather the old Ruby Spears team and make a new cartoon?
I'd watch it.

Anyway.

If MM has really come to an end then I can't do or say much about it. I had great times. Of course I would prefer to see the series going. Maybe some new direction even. I mean outside of other media such as TV and theatre.

VixyNyan:
So when do we get to the part where we can create our own characters in a free-roaming 2D (or 3D) Mega Man game? ó ωò

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version