Rebirth of the Rockman-Themed Stolen *Bleep* Thread!!

Rock Miyabi · 1718241

Offline Rock Miyabi

• THE ORIGINAL Jammin' Ninja
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
    • Miyabi on dA
Reply #4925 on: July 12, 2011, 07:36:55 AM

a bunch of Udon's Megaman Tribute Submissions

BTW, Someone tell me if they see X in Dickman's pic. He says he's in there, but I dont see him.

I know it's near impossible to tell with that microscopic file size, but I assume that it's his figure blasting somebody up towards the top, on what I assume is supposed to be the Gesellschaft; the only character right above Tornado Man. Kinda looks like him to me at least. I could be way wrong though.

Also, many of these winning entries not posted in this thread as of yet have kinda made me sad and sick to my stomach for many of the losers, as much as I would like to completely respect UDON/Capcom's choices.

I also like how they said in the rules specifically not to use another artist's style, such as Ariga's (who was specifically brought up to Moylan and was part of the no-no list related to comics/manga/animated series), and yet here we have a winner with characters drawn in Ariga-style, but it was apparently totally OK because in the end Ariga did something for the book... -AC Not that I don't like the pic, but still.

Previously was K.G. Inafunbags, Captain Heady, Damon Gant, and the guy who liked the blue bomber solely for the reason that he was blue.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4926 on: July 12, 2011, 07:51:21 AM
I'm honestly not sure what separates the winners from the losers here (well, mine was comparatively total crap), apart from the obvious "the winners got in the book". :/

They're all great pieces of art, but...

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4927 on: July 12, 2011, 08:40:09 AM
I know it's near impossible to tell with that microscopic file size, but I assume that it's his figure blasting somebody up towards the top, on what I assume is supposed to be the Gesellschaft; the only character right above Tornado Man. Kinda looks like him to me at least. I could be way wrong though.

Also, many of these winning entries not posted in this thread as of yet have kinda made me sad and sick to my stomach for many of the losers, as much as I would like to completely respect UDON/Capcom's choices.

I also like how they said in the rules specifically not to use another artist's style, such as Ariga's (who was specifically brought up to Moylan and was part of the no-no list related to comics/manga/animated series), and yet here we have a winner with characters drawn in Ariga-style, but it was apparently totally OK because in the end Ariga did something for the book... -AC Not that I don't like the pic, but still.

Wasn't there a NDC against the art that was chosen until the book was released? Or do you mean they all should have been posted here within the day?

Also, if you mean the image you quoted is Ariga's style. I don't see it.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #4928 on: July 12, 2011, 02:18:23 PM
They said Ariga's Style was fine, since he's cool with it or they are pals or something. i dont remember now- but I recall Udon saying his style was fine

But yeah. many of the winners are no better than some of the loosers. In fact, i would say some are a bit worse

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #4929 on: July 12, 2011, 02:32:45 PM
I almost believe that some winners were chosen at random.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #4930 on: July 12, 2011, 11:24:01 PM
Yeah. I dont know.

heres a few more winners-

And I mean- if THESE won-

then THESE sure as hell could have too. (and probably should have)
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #4931 on: July 12, 2011, 11:28:21 PM
Seriously..an Obama poster won?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #4932 on: July 12, 2011, 11:47:25 PM
and Im pretty sure that one with the chibis only won because it is similar to Matt Molyan's own style. (and he has a pic entered too)

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #4933 on: July 12, 2011, 11:55:49 PM
I assume that it's his figure blasting somebody up towards the top, on what I assume is supposed to be the Gesellschaft;

That my friend is the Kattelox newsfreighter. I can recognize that fish from a mile away.

and Im pretty sure that one with the chibis only won because it is similar to Matt Molyan's own style. (and he has a pic entered too)

Huh. From some entrant's perspective it's most likey the reason why.. And I thought the staff entries were sample entries..?

(@.@;)

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #4934 on: July 12, 2011, 11:57:49 PM
Is it be possible to include the sources next time? If you are sharing those pics the least you could do is to spread the love around for the artists

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #4935 on: July 13, 2011, 12:04:35 AM

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #4936 on: July 13, 2011, 01:09:09 AM
Cool! Thanks!

Offline Rock Miyabi

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
    • Miyabi on dA
Reply #4937 on: July 13, 2011, 02:49:57 AM
That my friend is the Kattelox newsfreighter. I can recognize that fish from a mile away.

Huh. From some entrant's perspective it's most likey the reason why.. And I thought the staff entries were sample entries..?

(@.@;)

Somebody needs to have Legends Station update their vehicles and mecha section for people like me who aren't as fluent in Legends, 'cause I saw no sign of a newsfreighter. I knew it was missing key Gesellschaft pieces, but had no clue what it really was. Thanks for the correction.

And plenty of UDON staff/members were guaranteed spots beforehand, they weren't competing with the rest of us average joes. Dickman was asked/guaranteed too, from my understanding. I dunno what the eventual percentage is gonna be, but I assume at least 33% will be just UDON crew artists. They were never just mere samples. Now I wouldn't say that piece only got in because it's similar to Matt's style. There were plenty of 'lil chibis I've seen already, and some lesser quality even made it, but plenty didn't. I think they included a few lesser quality ones to prove anyone and everyone had a real shot at making the book. And that is only fair. I'm sure there are some younger artists out there feeling real good about making it.

Wasn't there a NDC against the art that was chosen until the book was released? Or do you mean they all should have been posted here within the day?

Also, if you mean the image you quoted is Ariga's style. I don't see it.

That ban was lifted yesterday by UDON themselves, and most of the images Flame posted were from winning entries. Many more winners trickled onto dA today. It's up to the artist to post, though.

And I only quoted Dickman's image for Flame's question, not the Ariga one I questioned. This is the Ariga-styled one:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

They said Ariga's Style was fine, since he's cool with it or they are pals or something. i dont remember now- but I recall Udon saying his style was fine

Not what I remembered seeing in replies on UDON's blog, and the rules specifically said no to MANGA STYLES, but again, rules always seem to be bent a little in these contests anyhow. Yes, it's nitpicky, but it's just annoying when people judging don't even listen to what they wrote up. No more so than the rage people felt when that Pinnochio-styled one was rejected.

I mean, I'm glad to see these original takes, but there are so many winners that seem to be ripping something else off, whether it's classic comics, Gundam, Transformers, whathaveyou, and the Megaman elements seem completely lost and hardly recognizable. Yet they made it. And others that were more clever and fit closer to the traditional style didn't. Somebody like Rongs (R.Case) who had a much more powerful Legends pic get rejected (albeit done in the wrong dimensions), but a completely unrecognizable solo Ice Man redesign make it. There are creative ones where you can tell they are true fans and did their best to truly give a tribute to the characters, which I have ABSOLUTELY adored seeing, and there are those who you can tell have hardly ever played a game and just did something to get published. And then they give a shoutout on dA to somebody for helping them, since they didn't know much about the series or characters they drew. And that's the thing that depresses me and makes me feel a little worse for shelling out $80 for the hardcover. I dunno. Rant over. Have another nice one from jesonite:

Previously was K.G. Inafunbags, Captain Heady, Damon Gant, and the guy who liked the blue bomber solely for the reason that he was blue.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #4938 on: July 13, 2011, 03:58:23 AM
actually, Ariga's style was A-Ok with udon

In this specific case, Ariga is a good friend of UDON. If people want to draw Ariga’s version of characters, I’m sure he would be thrilled. Though really, Ariga’s characters are the classic versions just drawn in his own style.
http://www.themmnetwork.com/2010/12/09/some-clarification-on-mega-man-tributes-rules/

and here are some more

http://reyyyyy.deviantart.com/

http://asylumcomics.deviantart.com/

http://markerguru.deviantart.com/

Offline Krystal

• Fujoshi >w<
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 兄萌えが消えない止まない
    • View Profile
Reply #4939 on: July 13, 2011, 04:18:09 AM
My only gripe with winners would be that good(/not-so-good apparently) artists who only entered to be published are picked before true fans who show love/knowledge/dedication to the series \o/

Also. Fskin' Obama poster.

Anyway. From what I can tell, Udon picked a lot of 'unique' looking pieces to go into the book. People who experimented with style or creative ideas. There is also an amount of more faithful fanart without strange ideas, but it seems that they were less important and only a few were chosen. Whilst there are a lot of cool images included, there are a lot that I don't really want to see twice. Wonder if I should really get this book.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4940 on: July 13, 2011, 04:21:37 AM
Funny how Proto's the one with all the Maverick imagery in that first pic and not, say, Zero.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #4941 on: July 13, 2011, 05:06:40 AM
Notice how the boombox is also Sigma's head.

Anyway. From what I can tell, Udon picked a lot of 'unique' looking pieces to go into the book. People who experimented with style or creative ideas. There is also an amount of more faithful fanart without strange ideas, but it seems that they were less important and only a few were chosen. Whilst there are a lot of cool images included, there are a lot that I don't really want to see twice. Wonder if I should really get this book.
You dont really have to do you? a ton of the submissions are already being posted onto DA anyway.

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4942 on: July 13, 2011, 05:23:13 AM
That ban was lifted yesterday by UDON themselves, and most of the images Flame posted were from winning entries. Many more winners trickled onto dA today. It's up to the artist to post, though.

Is the book released yet?

I heard it was released when the NDC was listed. Maybe I misread something.

Offline Krystal

• Fujoshi >w<
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 兄萌えが消えない止まない
    • View Profile
Reply #4943 on: July 13, 2011, 05:34:33 AM
You dont really have to do you? a ton of the submissions are already being posted onto DA anyway.

No I don't, but I had high hopes for the book and I had wanted to see the awesome tribute images by MM fans around the world. Now I am not so sure about that particular selection of artworks.

@Gangster image: Actually I was more wondering what Proto was doing there in the first place. Also whether Zero finally had an accident with that sword of his and cut off his own hair.

Offline Rock Miyabi

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
    • Miyabi on dA
Reply #4944 on: July 13, 2011, 05:49:34 AM
Is the book released yet?

I heard it was released when the NDC was listed. Maybe I misread something.
Nope, in another week-two weeks. Comic Con starts next Thursday, and the hardcover is available to buy there. For those of us who pre-ordered off of UDON's site, they won't ship until the 27th supposedly. And then the paperback sounds like it isn't out until September, at least according to Amazon.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #4945 on: July 13, 2011, 07:18:15 AM
...Where is the ZX art? I haven´t seen any so far.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #4946 on: July 13, 2011, 03:18:26 PM
There is surprisingly little ZX art so far.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #4947 on: July 18, 2011, 08:50:29 PM

Image drawn by none other than Naoto Tsushima, who was part of KeroKero Ace and Transformers Animated: The Cool Comic.

His Pixiv is here.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #4948 on: July 18, 2011, 11:18:48 PM
The mechanical detail is really neat but the head is kinda awkward.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #4949 on: July 19, 2011, 12:39:20 AM
I dont remember where I got this from, but its been lying around for a bit and Ive been meaning to post it for a while