Legend of Zelda - The official Zelda thread

Align · 344038

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #2100 on: April 11, 2016, 01:30:29 AM
Whoa, calm down. I'm referring more to the drama regarding Allison Rapp and Fire Emblem/Bravely Second botched translations. When it comes to the whole "SJW youtube drama bullshit", Nintendo is in a bad place. It's only natural I'm holding them suspect.

Now if you have a problem with my opinions, then that's your right. Please don't get upset however when I already stated that if it doesn't make a big change in game content I'm fine with it.

Fact of the matter is the majority (I'd venture to say all) of the females I've met who play Zelda have absolutely NO problem with male Link being the only option, so I can't say I've got any experience with the other side of the argument. If you've got stuff to present, I'd like you to enlighten me? I'm totally down for discussion on the matter.
Nintendo isn't in a bad place right now. The Wii U hasn't sold very well, but they're still fine. The 3DS has made them a lot of money. What does Alison Rapp have to do with anything? I also don't know what Nintendo making their games more accessible has to do with them making less money. Do you think that the next Zelda won't sell if they include a female option as opposed to if they don't? You base that on what exactly?

Also, don't tell me I'm not allowed to react to your opinions. This is a forum. That's what a forum is all about. I'm also fine with Link being a guy, but if I'm given an option I'd be happier playing as a girl.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #2101 on: April 11, 2016, 01:36:39 AM
I doubt the playstyle would be different, but I wouldn't mind it either because that would sound interesting.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #2102 on: April 11, 2016, 01:39:16 AM
Nintendo isn't in a bad place right now. The Wii U hasn't sold very well, but they're still fine. The 3DS has made them a lot of money. What does Alison Rapp have to do with anything? I also don't know what Nintendo making their games more accessible has to do with them making less money. Do you think that the next Zelda won't sell if they include a female option as opposed to if they don't? You base that on what exactly?

I meant in terms of PR. They've kind of been coming under a lot of fire given the translations I mentioned from the pro-gamergate side and the anti-gamergate side for firing Rapp. That's another discussion though. Never said the new Zelda wouldn't sell. I just said I'd have a problem with it if too much focus was put on the alternate protagonist.

Also, don't tell me I'm not allowed to react to your opinions. This is a forum. That's what a forum is all about. I'm also fine with Link being a guy, but if I'm given an option I'd be happier playing as a girl.

You're allowed to react to my opinions. Just don't yell at me please. It hurts my feelings. ;_;

Also, I play as girls in most games that allow the option - again - so long as it doesn't influence the story or gameplay overtly. Both my Dark Souls charas are female, my WoW and FFXIV mains are female, and I'm playing two females in the RPs (who are quite possibly better characterized than my male lmao). So it's definitely not an aversion to playing female characters on my part.

I doubt the playstyle would be different, but I wouldn't mind it either because that would sound interesting.

That's the kind of thing I'm talking about yeah. Now if it was just cosmetic (IE Linkle using a crossbow while Link uses a bow, with no other real adjustments to gameplay) then it'd be fine. If they played drastically differently, it'd be interesting I suppose but I really wouldn't want to put double the hours in a game when I've got a life on top of it and other stuff waiting to be played.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2103 on: April 11, 2016, 01:41:34 AM
Well if it were to happen it's not like you have to play it back to back you know? :\

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #2104 on: April 11, 2016, 01:42:44 AM
It would most likely be purely cosmetic, which would be fine.

Also, tone is hard to convey via text. I wasn't "yelling." I'm just tired of the term "SJW." It immediately makes me roll my eyes. It's become the new "hipster." If you question anything video game related, someone is bound to call you an SJW.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #2105 on: April 11, 2016, 01:45:36 AM
Well if it were to happen it's not like you have to play it back to back you know? :\

Yeah that would normally be the case with me but I'm like, really OCD about playing the full content of the game. I absolutely despised Fire Emblem Fates but I'm still tempted to rebuy it and get Birthright/Revelations just so I can finish it proper. (Still fighting the urge. Pls no.)

It would most likely be purely cosmetic, which would be fine.

Also, tone is hard to convey via text. I wasn't "yelling." I'm just tired of the term "SJW." It immediately makes me roll my eyes. It's become the new "hipster." If you question anything video game related, someone is bound to call you an SJW.

Well the problem is that the whole hipster thing was really just a joke gone too far. The whole SJW/m-muh radical feminism thing has actually caused problems in the industry which is why it's more relevant. (Granted I probably lurk /r/kotakuinaction too much so it's possibly a bigger issue in my mind than it is.) I do agree people use the term WAY too loosely though.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #2106 on: April 11, 2016, 01:50:12 AM
I'm not pro- or anti-GG. I personally think both sides are pretty toxic. I just wish we could move on. I also don't want to be villainized just because I wouldn't mind having more women in video games.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2107 on: April 11, 2016, 01:53:02 AM
I also hate the talk about girl's boobs being too big for one reason or another, that pisses me off than needless sexualization of women in media in my opinion. :\

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #2108 on: April 11, 2016, 01:54:45 AM
but I really wouldn't want to put double the hours in a game when I've got a life on top of it and other stuff waiting to be played.

Ummm, then don't? Hahaha, I mean, you do have a choice in this matter. Lord knows I do not 100% games.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #2109 on: April 11, 2016, 01:55:33 AM
I'm not pro- or anti-GG. I personally think both sides are pretty toxic. I just wish we could move on. I also don't want to be villainized just because I wouldn't mind having more women in video games.

Well I wouldn't say that. Games aren't nearly as male-dominated as they were ten years ago.
But yeah that's the kind of thing that'd get you lynched online. It's a shame things turned out that way.

I also hate the talk about girl's boobs being too big for one reason or another, that pisses me off than needless sexualization of women in media in my opinion. :\

I was really incensed with Blizzard caved and removed that pose for Tracer in Overwatch.

...But then they added a new one that was arguably lewder so I laughed at that.

Ummm, then don't? Hahaha, I mean, you do have a choice in this matter. Lord knows I do not 100% games.

I already explained the problem with that haha. I know I have the option, it's just that I wouldn't feel right until I did.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #2110 on: April 11, 2016, 01:56:49 AM
I don't care about a girl having big boobs in a video game, but breast physics can get a little much. Hell, I like girls. I like looking at cute girls in games. I also like looking at powerful girls in video games. Powerful girls can be really hot too.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2111 on: April 11, 2016, 01:57:47 AM
I meant like people complaining about girls like Tifa and Zero Suit Samus, I mean seriously as someone with a large amount of talent that does kind of vex me a little.  But yeah jiggle physics are a bit much.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #2112 on: April 11, 2016, 01:59:50 AM
I'm honestly amazed that people complained about Zero Suit Samus' sexuality and not Bayonetta's.

Granted that got overwritten by how BROKEN Bayonetta is. I guess it's also the fact that Bayo's a more seductive character by design.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2113 on: April 11, 2016, 02:01:44 AM
And honestly I like Bayonetta for her sexuality, badassery and trollishness.  But yeah she's kind of broken in Smash.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #2114 on: April 11, 2016, 02:02:20 AM
I don't mind Tifa. Tifa has big boobs, but she's also tough. But she also allows herself to remain feminine--that's something that people find difficult to characterize for some reason. Samus is still a badass without her armor, that's pretty awesome. And she'd have to wear something like her Zero Suit under that armor. Clothes would get all bunched up in the suit. The high heels were a little much in Smash Bros., though.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2115 on: April 11, 2016, 02:03:53 AM
I just wish the Jet Heels weren't bright yellow, it really clashes with the suit in almost every color except Green.  But I really love the heels because Jet Heels are freaking awesome.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #2116 on: April 11, 2016, 02:05:56 AM
It's sad that FF7--a game that's nearly 20 years old--has better female characterization than most games out today. :\

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #2117 on: April 11, 2016, 02:06:48 AM
I like looking at cute girls in games. I also like looking at powerful girls in video games. Powerful girls can be really hot too.

This is the one situation where anime really influenced me. I like my girls to be both cute and tough. I guess that's why I tend to make tougher, fiercer (but still adorably-designed) characters. Vieri and Florence are very heavily representative of my taste in characters haha.

The high heels were a little much in Smash Bros., though.

Th-They're rocket boots!

I want a pair...

I just wish the Jet Heels weren't bright yellow, it really classes with the suit in almost every color except Green.  But I really love the heels because Jet Heels are freaking awesome.

I play blue workout Samus (you know, whenever I do play ZSS like once a month) so I never had a problem with it. I do agree it could've been designed a bit better tho.

It's sad that FF7--a game that's nearly 20 years old--has better female characterization than most games out today. :\

I like you Yuffie. I sort of tolerate Yuffie as a character...

But I hate FF7. All of it. :|

besides Terra >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Anyone in FF7 ayy

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #2118 on: April 11, 2016, 02:53:23 AM
This is the one situation where anime really influenced me. I like my girls to be both cute and tough. I guess that's why I tend to make tougher, fiercer (but still adorably-designed) characters. Vieri and Florence are very heavily representative of my taste in characters haha.

Very much why I prefer characters like Makoto or Seras over overtly more girly-girls.

mostly because i see myself as the girly-girl.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2119 on: April 11, 2016, 03:28:13 AM

Video Game completionists would be compelled to finish the game 100%

I certainly don't care either way, but people like my brother would.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #2120 on: April 11, 2016, 04:00:10 AM
Would people seriously feel compelled to play the game twice if they include the gender option if the only difference was pronouns?

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #2121 on: April 11, 2016, 04:03:12 AM
Would people seriously feel compelled to play the game twice if they include the gender option if the only difference was pronouns?

No, they would if there was changes in gameplay/story/playstyles. IE If Linkle didn't fight the same as Link or didn't get the same items or didn't do the same quests.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2122 on: April 11, 2016, 04:05:16 AM
Mainly if it was like Birth by Sleep, where you need to play the game with another character to obtain all the items and experience a different story perspective.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2123 on: April 11, 2016, 04:06:12 AM
No, they would if there was changes in gameplay/story/playstyles. IE If Linkle didn't fight the same as Link or didn't get the same items or didn't do the same quests.
No but if it's a different playstyle or story I can see why. 

Also on the FF thing I like Tifa and Yuffie the most out of the cast since they suffered the least amount of flanderization in and out of universe, especially freaking Cloud and Aerith.

However my favorite FF character is Celes, Terra is cool but I think she could use some better writing and character exploration via a remake like FF4 DS.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #2124 on: April 11, 2016, 04:06:35 AM
Given the fact I'm willing to play through Dark Souls/Demons/Bloodborne 3+ times each to get all the achievements I'm willing to believe people would to see dialogue.  8D