Legend of Zelda - The official Zelda thread

Align · 341161

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
on: January 25, 2009, 12:49:16 PM
Title says it all. Items, settings, characters... Wish away!

For me, a setting a bit like Majoras Mask or Links Awakening, in that it has a surreal feel, with things and events that would make you go "wait a second; what?!", if you stop to think about them.
And the return of Pegasus Boots! Activated by holding A, or whatever is the new Roll button. So's first you'd roll, then if you're still holding A, take off at a sprint, faster than a horse!
Also Rocs Feather, together making Link seem like some sort of superhero.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 02:13:41 PM by Acid »

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 01:09:42 PM
Once, only once, I'd like to see a Zelda from Ganondorf's point of view.
Basically showing that Ganon is not THAT evil but doing it for the sake of his folks, as he implied in Wind Waker.

Then, the game itself would be like every other Zelda, raiding temples, doing quests, killing HUGE bosses (and bosses need to be even bigger this time), but with Ganon instead of Link.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 01:32:06 PM
raiding temples
Put like that, Link doesn't seem like such a good guy.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 01:45:04 PM
Well that's what he does!

He steals the relics hidden and protected in the temple! He's hyrulean Lara Croft.

Offline vile mk4

• Robot Master
  • Muchah muchah , muchah much.. KI KIRI KI CHIIiii
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 04:41:24 PM
Windwaker showed me that Ganondorf has potential as a deeper character and something more than another  main antagonist. And i know, the antihero idea is chliche and has been used to no end , but just imagine a game where you controlled Ganondorf starting with his childhood until his adulthood, interacting with other Gerudos and finally corrupting..., that would be out of this world.

Double awessome if it's the very Ganondorf of Windwaker, i have a lot of symphaty for him.

Put like that, Link doesn't seem like such a good guy.
[spoiler]Link helps to destroy Hyrule in WW, that bastard ! [/spoiler]

MATA DA CAFEE, MATA DE CAFEE FEE FEEE FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !! AYHOYY AYHOY TE DERETETETEEE TE TERETETETETE REE TE TEEE AYHOYY AYHOY

FEEEVEEEER ...DON DONDON DONDON.... PON PON PON pon pon pon PON PON PON pon pon pon PON PON PONPON pon pon ponpon PONPON PON PON ponpon pon pon PONPONPON pon pon pon PONPATAPON ponpatapon PONPONPATAPONPONPON ponponpataponponpon NOOOOS QUEDAAAAAMOOOOOSSSS uhHIUP  ** PLOP **

BOM BOM BOM bom bom bom BOM BOM BOMBOM bom bom bombom ...AH, [tornado fang] THE WOOD, I DON NEED IT, LET'S KILL DODONGA AGAIN

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 05:10:54 PM
Remember that Steampunk era idea with the crazy guy who thinks he's Link?

Done.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 07:08:39 PM
I'm with STM on that one.  That'd be epic.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 07:29:19 PM
Legend of Ganondorf & Valley of The Deluge both sound absolutely awesome, but knowing how badly the Zelda team wants to break out from the mold with this upcoming Zelda, I'm going to do the impossible and trust in Nintendo to give us something on another level for the series. The only thing I'd like to know is what artistic direction and style the next game would have. The Wii seems to be a good home for some excellent looking cel-shaded games (Tales of Disco (fan title for the latest one on Wii), those Haruhi games) and I'd be sure that if it was used this time around, we could potentially see something better looking that even The Windwaker, but that's not to say other super stylized approaches wouldn't work (looks dreamily at Super Mario Galaxy).

Then there's the fact that we all know that MotionPlus will be rearing it's head in this upcoming game. What I'd love to see is a rich and deep implementation for the new device that would truly make an immersive game. Everyone always says that M+ must equal deeper sword combat, and while I do agree, I also wonder why stop there?

I'd have more to write on this right now, but as always I'm getting forced off my computer for a bit. Whatever happens, here's to something grand. 8)

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 07:39:46 PM
While there's nothing wrong with cel shading in itself, I'd rather not see a repeat of Wind Waker's art style ever again.

If they want to do cel again, they're better off making it look like JSR or something such.

The Other Side

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 08:00:12 PM
They already gave Zelda fans the OoTesque game they wanted and they complained about how similar to OoT it was (you can never please the fans -__-), so I say that Nintendo should now give ME what I want and make another Zelda game like Majora's Mask.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 08:05:33 PM
Once, only once, I'd like to see a Zelda from Ganondorf's point of view.
Basically showing that Ganon is not THAT evil but doing it for the sake of his folks, as he implied in Wind Waker.

Then, the game itself would be like every other Zelda, raiding temples, doing quests, killing HUGE bosses (and bosses need to be even bigger this time), but with Ganon instead of Link.

Perhaps show why he always seems to have the Triforce of Power?  Make it a curse, or something like that.  I don't know, the only reason I have a problem with a game like that is that, there are so few villains today who are just plain evil.  It could just be me, but I think it's getting rather cliche to show a villain who just really evil.  Granted, some of the best villains are villains who truly believe that they're evil actions are the right course of actions, but still.  I mean, if they made this type of game, I'd still jump all over it like a horny Gohma.  I would just hope that it's written well and that they don't alter much from it.

As for what I would like to see?  Well, I was thinking actually of seeing if Nintendo could try something somewhat revolutionary and make a 2-Player 3-D Zelda-ish game, in which Link would be the first player and Zelda would be the second player.  Link has your standard Link moves, and Zelda could be an archer, perhaps a fencer, or just a primary Magic User as well.  The only issue with this type of game is the fact that #1. I don't know if it's even possible, #2. When not having a 2nd person playing, NPC characters are usually stupid and cumbersome, #3. Again, I don't if it could work.  The idea seems decent in my head right now, but I can definitely see it's flaws.  LoL, this is why I would hope that Nintendo could figure it out for me!  XD

One day, I also just wouldn't mind seeing Playable Zelda as well.  I mean, she seems powerful enough at times to be able to get by on her own.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 08:08:27 PM
i'm probably the only person in the world that didn't find MM all that much better than OoT. i might rant about this another time, if anyone's interested. however, if there could be a balance between the two games, i would like it.

And the return of Pegasus Boots! Activated by holding A, or whatever is the new Roll button. So's first you'd roll, then if you're still holding A, take off at a sprint, faster than a horse!
Also Rocs Feather, together making Link seem like some sort of superhero.

i'm all for this.

As for what I would like to see?  Well, I was thinking actually of seeing if Nintendo could try something somewhat revolutionary and make a 2-Player 3-D Zelda-ish game, in which Link would be the first player and Zelda would be the second player.  Link has your standard Link moves, and Zelda could be an archer, perhaps a fencer, or just a primary Magic User as well.  The only issue with this type of game is the fact that #1. I don't know if it's even possible, #2. When not having a 2nd person playing, NPC characters are usually stupid and cumbersome, #3. Again, I don't if it could work.  The idea seems decent in my head right now, but I can definitely see it's flaws.  LoL, this is why I would hope that Nintendo could figure it out for me!  XD

why am i thinking of the Dic cartoon?

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 08:09:46 PM
One day, I also just wouldn't mind seeing Playable Zelda as well.  I mean, she seems powerful enough at times to be able to get by on her own.

Posted on: January 25, 2009, 01:09:07 PM
however, if there could be a balance between the two games, i would like it.

That'd be the best Zelda game ever if done correctly.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 08:13:24 PM
i'm probably the only person in the world that didn't find MM all that much better than OoT. i might rant about this another time, if anyone's interested. however, if there could be a balance between the two games, i would like it.

It's not that MM was better than OoT.  It was just more unique I thought.  The alternate Link forms were what I loved so much, not to mention some really kick ass dungeons and music as well.  Oh, and then there's Fierce Deity Link...  8D

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 08:15:44 PM
All I ask is that the game doesn't stall us poor players for the sake of slapping a 70-hour-adventure splash on the box cover. This is my biggest issue with Twilight Princess, or as I like to call it, The Legend of Zelda: Half of the Freakin' Game Is Filler. Gimme Link to the Past or Ocarina or Majora-style freedom!

I also need many many optional items! I'm having a blast with Majora and part of it is the mask system.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 08:18:16 PM
Majora's Mask was actually one of my favorite Zelda games.  It had its flaws, but I'm a sucker for temporal shenanigans.

The Other Side

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 08:18:30 PM
It's not that MM was better than OoT.  It was just more unique I thought.  The alternate Link forms were what I loved so much, not to mention some really kick ass dungeons and music as well.  Oh, and then there's Fierce Deity Link...  8D

oh i love the forms. that's definitely my favorite part of MM. everything else just felt either too samey to OoT, or not done as well.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 08:21:13 PM

Exactly, it also had something that every Zelda game should have from now on, replayable bosses/dungeons. Seriously, if I really liked a dungeon/boss in that game it's just as easy as going back to the dungeon, in every other  game I had to restart the game entirely D:

oh i love the forms. that's definitely my favorite part of MM. everything else just felt either too samey to OoT, or not done as well.

I hope that everything else doesn't include the sidequests because they're ten times better than OoT's. Heck, Kafei and Anju's sidequest alone is better than any other Zelda sidequest IMO.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: January 25, 2009, 08:23:23 PM
Personally, I feel that Majora's Mask is the most unique Zelda game they've ever attempted, not counting the CDi ones!  XD

There was a part of me that was wondering if Nintendo made a Zelda RPG type game, where you could have Link, Zelda, a Goron/Zora/etc. as your party, would I play it.  I probably would, but I'm not too fond of RPG's.  LoL, perhaps if they made it like Chrono Trigger.  Now that game, I'm addicted too!   8)

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 09:04:06 PM
I hope that everything else doesn't include the sidequests because they're ten times better than OoT's. Heck, Kafei and Anju's sidequest alone is better than any other Zelda sidequest IMO.

oh we are on completely different wavelengths. the sidequests are actually my biggest complaint with MM. they just didn't feel all that rewarding. i hated the tiny fairy gimmick. too many of the masks were completely useless, aside from getting Fierce Diety. i don't think i've ever gotten all the heart pieces in that game, mostly because the means to get them weren't fun (minigames). i didn't mind the Anju and Kafei quest, though. but on the whole, i find OoT's sidequests to be more fun.

while i'm here, my other big complaint with MM was there's too much of a reliance on arrows in that game. instead of using the elemental arrows to progress, they should've used different weapons. they also make up a large portion of human Link's arsenal. it shows a sort of lack of diversity that OoT didn't have. i say sort of cause the form changes do balance that out.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 09:12:35 PM
while i'm here, my other big complaint with MM was there's too much of a reliance on arrows in that game. instead of using the elemental arrows to progress, they should've used different weapons. they also make up a large portion of human Link's arsenal. it shows a sort of lack of diversity that OoT didn't have. i say sort of cause the form changes do balance that out.

True, but at least it's not TP's "useful one time only" items.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 09:33:15 PM
I kinda resent that.  The only overly-specialized item in TP was the Dominion Rod.  And Wind Waker was already using that concept.

Dunno what the "filler" issue against the game is, either.  OoT certianly had plenty of filler.  I think people are just disgruntled that it hit early in the game, but I think from a storytelling standpoint it did well to establish Link's character.  He's not a kid in that game, nor is he a lone wolf like Samus.  TP made that clear before things got going.  Link is older in TP and that means he's supposed to already have a life of his own.

Well, anyways,

Character:
Missing Midna and Malon.

Items:
-Ball and Chain must return.
-Spinner was awesome, it just needs more speed when off-rails.  Give it a charge-up time if need be, heck it could be the new Pegasus Boots.
-BIGGORON'S [tornado fang]ING SWORD!!!

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: January 25, 2009, 09:37:03 PM
I think the the Zelda series is overdue for a game with custom character creation. We all love Link, but his name has its roots in getting the player involved with the gameplay and story. The reason Link doesn't speak is because we, as the player, are supposed to speak for him. So why? Why haven't they released a game with character creation and possibly where you make Link's choices. Now, I'm not saying the usual good or evil route, but choosing which dungeon to start and there are consequences to how you beat the dungeons. And cutscenes where you choose what Link says. That kinda thing.

If Zelda was just some action RPG without that kind of narrative behind it, I wouldn't care too much. Since the narrative is there, however, I believe Nintendo has been ripping us off. This specific kind of gameplay would fit with Zelda very well.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: January 25, 2009, 09:44:29 PM
Honestly, I somewhat disagree.  As much as I do like the Knights of the Old Republic style of story & possible character customization, I don't think I'd want it in a Zelda game. 

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: January 25, 2009, 09:48:56 PM
Honestly, I somewhat disagree.  As much as I do like the Knights of the Old Republic style of story & possible character customization, I don't think I'd want it in a Zelda game. 
No more PB pics for you. D: