Super Smash Bros. Bitchslap: What Do You Want To See In It?

Jericho · 143881

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #475 on: January 15, 2014, 05:26:59 AM
Wow, reading this thread (for the sake of getting an old post) in 2014 is such a jarring experience for me. I really thought differently about Brawl in '09 versus now. XD

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #476 on: January 15, 2014, 05:31:22 AM
Oh really? Hahaha, what do you think of it now?

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #477 on: January 15, 2014, 06:31:00 AM
Fun but very very flawed game.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #478 on: January 15, 2014, 06:34:04 AM
Haha, you were younger then. Headstrong. Marth-y.

Still looking forward to the next one though, right?

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #479 on: January 15, 2014, 07:52:55 AM
>Mega-[tornado fang]ing-man was confirmed
>Rosalina Rosestar and Luma Platinum had the best newcomer entrance to the series ever
>Pit got buffed
>Marth gonna Marth with a new Marth look... Marth
>"Still looking forward to the next one though?"

I'll let you figure it out. :D

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #480 on: January 15, 2014, 07:57:49 AM
Just making sure. I'd hate to think I wouldn't have some more Double Falcon Punch explosions to watch!  8D

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #481 on: January 17, 2014, 01:12:04 AM
...man, looking at the last page, I blame myself for Rosalina getting into Smash before Daisy. O:<

Brawl was flawed, but I maintain a lot less "flawed" than most claim (it's just that every time I hear that I think of the Melee-worshiping tournament whores).  My main issues with it are tripping, lack of Mewtwo, and Bowser being such a freaking wuss.

But the positives far outweigh the negatives.  Stage creator, midair item grabs, Smart Bombs and Blast Boxes to feed my pyromania, SSE, Sonic, Zero Suit Samus, F*@#!ING PIT!!!, and the pure insanely unadulterated awesomeness that is Super Dragon Yoshi.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #482 on: January 17, 2014, 01:13:26 AM
I'm still proud of that Neku movelist I made.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
Reply #483 on: January 31, 2014, 07:28:09 PM
Brawl was flawed, but I maintain a lot less "flawed" than most claim (it's just that every time I hear that I think of the Melee-worshiping tournament whores).  My main issues with it are tripping, lack of Mewtwo, and Bowser being such a freaking wuss.

But the positives far outweigh the negatives.  Stage creator, midair item grabs, Smart Bombs and Blast Boxes to feed my pyromania, SSE, Sonic, Zero Suit Samus, F*@#!ING PIT!!!, and the pure insanely unadulterated awesomeness that is Super Dragon Yoshi.

I think there's a lot to dislike about Brawl even beyond the mechanics and poor balance:
-Aesthetics (dark and grimy)
-Stage selection is really gimmicky, leading to less neutral stages
-Stage Builder was pretty pathetic
-SSE was a bad Kirby game (paying little homage to Nintendo outside maybe Mario/DK) with epic, albeit awkward cinematics
-3 Landmasters
-Toon Link is a clone
-Horrendous loading times
-Trophies were mostly copy-pasted from games leading to horribly imbalanced representation of series
-Break the Targets was incredibly gimped
-Brawl theme is [tornado fang]ing annoying after the billionth time, personally speaking

Midair item grabs existed in Melee by the way.

For people really invested in Melee, the pacing/floatiness/lack of hitstun in Brawl just leads to a game that is overall very defensive, in effect making it boring to play/watch in comparison to Melee.

Not to say that Melee was perfect (though it was a beautiful, <i>beautiful</i> accident) or that Brawl didn't have its merits, but for me, Melee vs Brawl is like quality vs quantity. And since most of the Nintendo A-listers are already in Melee, I don't find myself too attached to Brawl's roster.

Bad Box Art Snake Man Joins the Battle!

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #484 on: January 31, 2014, 07:35:27 PM
Yeah they'd better bring Break the Targets back to its former glory. I still hate how the changed it for Brawl since previously those stages were easily the best way to learn a character's moveset.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #485 on: February 01, 2014, 12:46:49 AM
Okay, while 3 Landmasters was a serious issue (Why couldn't wolf be like the Star Wolf team coming down and raining hell on the playfield.), "Toon Link is a Clone" is just a no [parasitic bomb] sherlock deal.

He's basically just reskinned Young Link, just fitting to the flavor of the times.

Trophies was a thing that could've been better, no reason we needed to have a ton of one-off DK characters like Xananab or Kalypso yet Yoshi's set literally was just Yoshi, his final smash, Baby Mario, and I think Pak E. Derm.

That said, Brawl's Aesthetics get a lot better once you start to make it goofy with Texture hacks and music changes.

I like Gimmick stages personally, if you want "Neutral" stages then just stick with Boring Battlefield and Final Destination.

Stage Builder was interesting if a little simplistic, I'd like to see it come back if stages could be bigger or have more unique parts.

Loading times, really they weren't that bad.

Tripping and some of the other miscellany were my main issues, Masterpieces served little to no purpose other than to be an advertisement for full length games (That if you wanted to you could play right off of brawl via cheats, but the N64 games crashed IIRC.), Break the Targets got so boring after doing it like 5 times. And I cared not for stickers, I'd rather have more trophies.

Also, [tornado fang] that stupid coin launcher game, the chance of getting a new trophy needs to be seriously buffed if they do that again.

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
Reply #486 on: February 02, 2014, 02:45:14 AM
"Toon Link is a Clone" is just a no [parasitic bomb] sherlock deal.

He's basically just reskinned Young Link, just fitting to the flavor of the times.
Melee was pretty intentional with its clones, and by that I mean that the character select is made such that the clones are right next to their original counterparts. It goes without saying that making a clone is far easier than developing an original character, hence their existence. It also goes without saying that fans of said characters can get annoyed because the representation of the character isn't properly reflective of their source material.

But for Melee, really the only character that was "misrepresented" was Ganondorf. Complaining about Dr. Mario, Falco, Pichu, Roy, or Young Link is petty when you consider that they only exist <i>because</i> they're clones, or that their source material was dry to begin with.

Brawl attempted to "Luigify" Ganondorf and Falco. I would mark Ganondorf being a clone as a con, but we're comparing Melee and Brawl, so it doesn't make sense to list it if both iterations are guilty.

The reason I list Toon Link is because he <i>should</i> be different from Link. I wouldn't hold it against Melee for not having a Majora's Mask inspired moveset for Young Link, because Young Link honestly doesn't deserve a spot as an original character (he <i>is</i> Link, therefore he's already being represented).

Analogy: imagine Smash Bros 4 announces Mega Man EXE, but he's a clone of classic.

I like Gimmick stages personally, if you want "Neutral" stages then just stick with Boring Battlefield and Final Destination.
For those who prefer it, I think having an insufficient number of neutral stages is a legitimate complaint. To be clear, I'm openminded to various ways of enjoying Smash. I get that it can be annoying when elitists only allow "no items, Fox only, Final Destination", but there's no need to be a defensive hyper casual.

Also, I'm sure everyone and their mom agrees that Melee's FD is better than Brawls. To be fair, Smashville was a nice addition.

Loading times, really they weren't that bad.

Tripping and some of the other miscellany were my main issues, Masterpieces served little to no purpose other than to be an advertisement for full length games (That if you wanted to you could play right off of brawl via cheats, but the N64 games crashed IIRC.), Break the Targets got so boring after doing it like 5 times. And I cared not for stickers, I'd rather have more trophies.
When I think about it, it's not so much the Break the Targets that annoyed me.

It's that the 1P modes (particularly Classic and All Stars) are a lot worse. Melee was short and sweet whereas I found Brawl obnoxiously long. But hey, maybe that's just me.

Bad Box Art Snake Man Joins the Battle!

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #487 on: February 03, 2014, 12:40:39 AM
Also, I'm sure everyone and their mom agrees that Melee's FD is better than Brawls.
If by "better" you mean the ledge-grabbing physics were more convenient?  Well, I guess.

Aesthetically (and by that I mean both visuals and available BGMs)?  Brawl actually made Final Destination TOLERABLE when some idiot decides to spam it.  Better fix would have been for online stage select to stack the odds against someone picking duplicates, but hey, life ain't perfect.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #488 on: September 28, 2014, 04:28:53 AM
I don't think anyone has made one of these yet, which is surprising. I got a F Zero character for you today, and one of the more obvious, easy picks I would think.

BLACK SHADOW

Fitting of a big evil guy, he's slow and heavy, but hits like a freight train. And like Charizard he flies over the stage rather quickly when he runs. His ship did have a A for Boost after all. A moves are meaty punches and kicks, with a few dark magic attacks thrown in.

Neutral B: Shadow Hand
- Black Shadow thrusts his palm forward, shooting a large purple hand projectile. Hits multiple times, but knockback is minimal. The projectile disappears after a medium distance.

Side B: Shoulder Crash
- After a brief windup, Black Shadow performs a shoulder check to his side. Does pretty nice diagonal knockback, and has super armor on startup.

Up B: Bull Charge
- Black Shadow rockets upward attacking with his horns. A multihit move that has good knockback at the end. It can be aimed diagonally as well as straight up.

Down B: Black Stomp
- Black Shadow slams his foot on the ground in front of him. A shockwave is created an okay distance in front of him, sending anyone in range flying upwards. Black Shadow's foot also does quite a bit of damage if the opponent is close enough, creating a 2 hit combo.

Final Smash: Black Thunder
- Black Shadow lets out a mighty roar, creating a small shockwave around him. Anyone touching the shockwave is paralyzed. If so, he leaps off the top of the screen, then comes back down with a purple magic enveloped fist at very high speed, laughing maniacally the entire way. He lands where he started the move ignoring any platforms in the way. Huge knockback on impact. He can also hit other opponents on the way down for less damage.

But that's not all, I also have his custom variants:

- For Neutral B, he has a longer ranged projectile that can't hit multiple times, and a super short ranged version that's more a grab that paralyzes.
- For Side B, he has a version that travels forward but is weaker and loses super armor, and a super quick version that cannot do damage but instead pushes opponents backwards.
- For Up B, he has a longer travelling version that can't be aimed as well and does no damage, and a slow short range version that hits once but very hard.
- As for Down B, there's a version that trips but does way less damage, and a version that loses the shockwave, but the foot part buries opponents on the ground and meteors in the air.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #489 on: September 28, 2014, 07:52:02 AM
Very nice. Haven't seen one of these in a while!