The Mana-Verse

Blue Valkyrie · 230907

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #2300 on: March 12, 2015, 03:31:14 AM
"Well there's a few things about them I don't like, a few that I just can't seem to justify." Sakura sighed as she found a rock to sit on "For one I don't understand  their need to punish and persecute those who practice 'Forbidden Arts' such as Magic and Science. 

Sure there's people like Alberta and Mar who use those things to selfish and destructive ends but most don't right? I mean you, Mr. Fxeni, Pema, and Aya are some of the nicest people I've ever met and it seems there are others like that who use their gifts to help other.  But the Order doesn't and shun people who do, like you and your Master.  I don't understand why they punish people who want to learn or do things to help people and not harm them, especially like...well you know....."

Sakura pointed to her back regarding the whipping as she made her last statement.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #2301 on: March 12, 2015, 03:49:42 AM
The Professor gave a sigh and seated himself on the ground, his staff balanced on his lap.  He wasn't quite sure how to address Sakura's complaint, as it had numerous points, so he addressed the most pertinent one.

"The Order does not deny the existence of magic, dark arts, magitech, Elementals, and P-precursor technology.  We do not deny those.  We know they exist.  We acknowledge that they exist.  However, however, we of the Order, we practice humility.  There is a higher power, and we are subservient to it."

He nodded to his bare feet. "That is why we do not wear shoes.  It is to show our humility.  To practice the forbidden, to practice the forbidden arts is a status that the Order cannot have, for we are humble.  Does that make sense?"

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2302 on: March 12, 2015, 03:57:18 AM
"Maybe....?" Sakura said raising an eyebrow to that "But isn't that going too far?  I mean I can understand if someone wants to live like that, I've lived without Magitek and only learned Magic recently myself, but they seem to force that view on everyone, even those who aren't in the Order."

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #2303 on: March 12, 2015, 04:08:01 AM
The Professor shook his head. "No.  No they don't.  We do not expect our congregation to live exactly as we do.  We preach humility, and, and, and we do expect our congregation to be humble in the presence of those who hold a higher status, but, but we, but we don't expect them to live exactly by our teachings."

He gave a nod over his shoulder to indicate his back. "All of us, all of us are subject, all of us are subject to flagellation if we divert from the path."

He met Sakura's gaze once more. "We live humble lives.  Is it wrong to be humble?"

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2304 on: March 12, 2015, 04:23:06 AM
"No of course not...but remember when Pema wandered off by herself....everyone who saw was calling her a Witch.....all she was doing was flying around because she was too small to see anything, she wasn't doing anything wrong....but everyone was screaming about a Witch.

Fxeni said that wasn't normal, even Daddy never heard had of such a thing as persecuting those who use Magic, and this was from people who weren't in the Order.

And the diverting from that path you were talking about.....why would you hurt someone like that for diverting from 'the path', there has to be a more sensible way to discipline someone that's not at devastating?  Maybe something like making someone hold buckets of water for half an hour, or denying them supper for a day. Maybe even wash the entire Monastery by themselves with no help, even the toilets. That's what Daddy said a General did to Soldiers who slacked off during training, they never had to go to such extremes.

Not to mention if someone diverted from 'the path' even after so many lashings wouldn't it mean that they didn't want or can follow 'the path'?  Wouldn't it make more sense to exile them from the Order than continue trying to force them to do something they didn't want to do?  I mean not from the Town, just the Order.  Why continue to try to make people do something they can't or don't want to?"  Sakura continued.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #2305 on: March 12, 2015, 05:23:50 AM
"Perhaps, perhaps it's not the Order, perhaps it's not the Order forcing them to do, to do what they don't want to do... but rather that they want to live their lives by our teachings?  And perhaps, perhaps the townsfolk, the congregation, perhaps they take away their own meaning; derive their own beliefs?"

The Professor bowed his head, realizing that he probably won't be changing any minds.  Sakura had only seen a brief glimpse of the Order, and the rest was hearsay.  Yes, the Order had some secrets, but everyone has secrets.  And while the Order took his master from him, they had a reason.  He didn't agree with the reason, but it was there.

Despite the derision he had received, despite being shunned, despite watching his entire livelihood be reduced to rubble, the Professor still had his faith.  He was not about to discard it.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry that you, that you feel the way you do.  And, and, and I know I can't change your mind, so I won't.  Despite the darkness I had witnessed, and the things I've heard... despite all that, I still hold true to the good the Order has taught me.  I owe them m-my life."

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2306 on: March 12, 2015, 05:34:44 AM
"I guess I should apologize too, even with the bad things there are some good things about the Order.  I still don't like them, I really don't, but I guess they aren't all bad." Sakura shrugged "I mean at least you learned something good from them and don't practice the bad, so there's that.  I don't like them but I do like you so I shouldn't worry too much.  I think I have a bit of a better understanding at least, and maybe it's not as bad as I thought.

Though....I wish they didn't call Daddy a demon....but then again people have been doing that since forever and they weren't from the Order.  Even some of the people in the Human settlement he was in before he became a hermit to raise and protect me called him that.  Not everyone was like that, and some changed their minds....but some didn't...."

([spoiler]I should mention the reason he became a hermit wasn't just because he didn't want Sakura to experience that hate, as he was sure that those who did like him wouldn't allow that...it's a bit of a more personal regret.[/spoiler])

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2307 on: March 12, 2015, 06:05:55 AM
Pema perched herself atop a wooden crate throughout most of their discussion, her head turning left and right to whoever was speaking at the time.

Half of the Professor's assertions went completely over her head, "Flu... Flugelation? Flalalation? F-Flagellation?" She muttered to herself, lightly flicking the ear flap of her hat, "Hmm... this is hard..."

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #2308 on: March 12, 2015, 06:27:31 AM
The Professor looked to Pema.  He was about to answer her question and explain what it was, but decided against it.  By explaining the whippings, he would have to explain why they were done, and then explain his own lashes.  As it was a source of contention for Sakura, he decided to avoid the topic.

Instead, he addressed the other concern, namely the allegations against Calien. "That... that is something, that is something that was, was b-before my time, before they took me in.  There was a schism.  I, I'm afraid, I'm afraid I don't know much beyond that."

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2309 on: March 12, 2015, 06:30:43 AM
"A schism?" Sakura asked him "What do you mean?"

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #2310 on: March 12, 2015, 06:50:32 AM
"Something happened, something happened between the Elven races and the Order... or, or, or was it between the town and the Elven?  Or, or, was it with the Dwarves?  It was b-before my time, I'm afraid.  I haven't, I haven't found many records on it..." The Professor gave a shrug and pulled himself to his feet with his staff.  The polearm was at least two feet taller than he was, and he tested the weight and balance again.

"Hm... hmm... perhaps, perhaps if I shortenit... but that, that wouldn't balance it..."

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2311 on: March 12, 2015, 06:56:53 AM
"Hmm so something happened between the Order and another Race but you don't know what or who, that sounds complicated." Sakura sighed.  "I guess unless we run into them again we won't know, though I personally hope we don't.

Anyway I agree that might be too big for you, maybe cut it by a foot?"

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2312 on: March 12, 2015, 06:07:17 PM
(I'm just looking forward seeing the Prof's reaction when we get to a place that embraces magic and magitech. In the cold north perhaps?)
(I missed this post yesterday but it makes me think of Briggs Base on the border of Drachma and Amestris in Full Metal Alchemist, or Eternia in Bravely Default. 

Freaking Automail and White Magic Cables everywhere!)

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2313 on: March 12, 2015, 07:37:09 PM
(Olivier Armstrong cameo for the [tornado fang]ing win!)

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2314 on: March 12, 2015, 07:43:42 PM
(Makes me think of Altena from Seiken Densetsu 3 too.)

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #2315 on: March 12, 2015, 11:11:43 PM
(I was thinking something along those lines, yes. Fxeni's new hometown of sorts, most likely.)

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2316 on: March 12, 2015, 11:16:20 PM
(I was thinking something along those lines, yes. Fxeni's new hometown of sorts, most likely.)
(Does Calien actually have to do this now, make bear coats?)

"I don't know Grifter for a while now I've been considering hunting 2 bears a day for food.  One bear for Pema and another bear for the rest of us." Calien laughed.  "But come to think about it what would I do with all that fur?  I guess I could make capes for everyone, but what would I do after that.....guess I can make bear dresses for the ladies.....but after that.....perhaps blankets?"

"Oh Daddy." Sakura smiled despite herself as her dad rambled on with the conflict of having so much left over bear fur.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #2317 on: March 13, 2015, 01:47:13 AM
"Hmm so something happened between the Order and another Race but you don't know what or who, that sounds complicated." Sakura sighed.  "I guess unless we run into them again we won't know, though I personally hope we don't.

Anyway I agree that might be too big for you, maybe cut it by a foot?"

The Professor nodded. "Yes, yes, yes, I suppose shortening it would be wise.  Now, I've used, I've used larger staffs, as, as the staffs we had, they weren't made, they weren't made for one of my, my stature."

He tested the weight again. "It could use b-better balance.  Perhaps, perhaps if I add a pommel..."

As he looked at the staff, he examined the bandages on his hands.  The edges were starting to fray and he could see moist spots. "But, but first, but first... I should probably change my bandages..."

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2318 on: March 13, 2015, 01:52:30 AM
"I agree a Pommel and something wrapped around the shaft to prevent splinters would help." Sakura nodded "But yeah we really need to take care of those bandages, we'll go see Daddy when I finish depositing these smelly mushrooms."

(I hope PB can catch up soon.  I think Calien would probably be done with Aya's outfit by now.)

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #2319 on: March 13, 2015, 02:13:18 AM
Fxeni was on board the airship, helping the dwarves examine it. He had piloted some before, but this was the first time he got to really take a look at the mechanisms deep inside. This lifted up his spirits quite well.

His mind turned to Aldia momentarily as he jotted down notes. The sad state of his hometown was depressing and angered him while he was there, however now he felt more passive about the situation. He was relieved that White Beard was disposed of, but the way the flames licked across the town was still fresh in his mind.

He wondered what had happened to it after they left. What had happened to the townspeople? The ones that didn't recognize him at all...

It didn't feel like home anymore anyways... he thought with a slight sigh as he went back to taking notes.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2320 on: March 13, 2015, 02:18:02 AM
"Fxeni!" Sakura greeted as she found him in the airship "I'm not surprised that you're here, what are you doing?"

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #2321 on: March 13, 2015, 02:23:56 AM
"I'm documenting how the airship works so I can try to repair it if ever it gets damaged," Fxeni replied as he finished the note he was on. He looked over at the bag she was hauling.

"Ah, the mushrooms I assume... you weren't kidding about the smell," he said as he covered his nose with his arm.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2322 on: March 13, 2015, 02:27:29 AM
"Cool I wanna see them later myself." Sakura nodded "Anyway you know where I can put these mushrooms?  Some place where Daddy can grow them and the other Herbs and stuff he has?  I mean as smelly as these things are they are very useful."

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #2323 on: March 13, 2015, 02:33:08 AM
"There should be a room at the back of the ship that should do," Fxeni replies as he points towards the back.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2324 on: March 13, 2015, 02:35:35 AM
"Thanks, finally we can contain the smell!" Sakura nodded as she went towards the back to deposit the Mushrooms "Now we don't have to worry about running out of Agricultural Supplies anytime soon too, and Daddy doesn't have to worry too much about planting stuff in random spots that we might not return to."