Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
on: June 04, 2014, 09:53:50 PM
Wisconsin girls charged with first-degree intentional homicide

Two 12-year-old girls concocted a plan to stab another girl in order to appease Slenderman.  The brother of one of the girls never suspected that his sister would go that far, saying that she simply liked creepypasta.  The girls will be tried as adults.

Creepypasta.com does not condone the girls' actions, nor does it encourage any violence against others and has issued a statement saying so, also expressing their condolences.

Looks like someone forgot to be taught the difference between fantasy and reality and will have to learn the hard way that actions have consequences.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 09:55:38 PM
I was going to post about that today if you didn't, I'm just amazed that Slendy of all things is what made them do it.  Or rather that Slendy was still relevent enough for the 12 years onlds to worship him.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 11:10:52 PM
See, that's what the absolute fun-vacuum of Wisconsin does to people. It turns them into potential murderers. -AC

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 12:08:50 AM
They're also facing up to 65 years in prison each because of this.

I also find it interesting that creepypasta had to note that everything on their site is fictitious in that statement, though it makes sense why.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 12:59:53 AM
After all those Death Note incidents, this doesn't seem too surprising. Sure, writing in the Death Notes didn't actually kill their classmates, but it shows what fiction can potentially do to young minds.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 01:03:09 AM
After all those Death Note incidents, this doesn't seem too surprising. Sure, writing in the Death Notes didn't actually kill their classmates, but it shows what fiction can potentially do to young minds.

That's like saying Violent Video games cause kids to kill people or be assholes because a guy in GTA did it.

Its just kids imitating what they think is cool, kids are stupid and people need to understand that and apply cautious parenting and such.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 01:05:04 AM
They're also facing up to 65 years in prison each because of this.

I also find it interesting that creepypasta had to note that everything on their site is fictitious in that statement, though it makes sense why.
It's because the statments of the girls who tried to murder their friend made it sound like creepypasta.com was a site for a cult dedicated to the worship of Slendy instead of a site where people with too much time on their hands make and creepy shock horror stories for the shock/thrill of it, despite the quality of it.  Clearly the girls were sociopaths and need mental help.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 01:13:08 AM
That's like saying Violent Video games cause kids to kill people or be assholes because a guy in GTA did it.

Its just kids imitating what they think is cool, kids are stupid and people need to understand that and apply cautious parenting and such.

And imitation can lead to murder and/or attempted murder. It depends on what the kid is imitating.

Stabbing this girl can also be a form of imitation. Stalking their prey just like Slendy and killing them.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 01:16:57 AM
And imitation can lead to murder and/or attempted murder. It depends on what the kid is imitating.

Stabbing this girl can also be a form of imitation. Stalking their prey just like Slendy and killing them.
I call it cultist sacrifice since they only decided to go with the hide and seek since they were considering other options like the one where they stabbed her in bed.  The important thing to them was that they wanted to kill her, not how they wanted to kill her, because they worship Slendy as a god or equivalent of a god and wanted to be his acolytes. 

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 02:02:42 AM
Also they thought Slenderman lived in an old house nearby. And thought they'd actually talked with him.

These girls were definitely missing a few screws.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 02:15:06 AM
Also they thought Slenderman lived in an old house nearby. And thought they'd actually talked with him.

These girls were definitely missing a few screws.
Oh wow that one I didn't hear from the stuff I read, mind posting a link about it?

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 04:00:03 AM
Here you go

It's kinda buried in a chunk of text about a third of the way down.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 04:24:39 AM
Yeah that's pretty detailed, and confusing with the accounts.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 07:41:36 AM
Yeah, my local news didn't have a very detailed account.

Again, though, I refer to my previous statement of the girls failing to learn the difference between fantasy and reality.  This is a responsibility that falls on the parents, as they need to be mindful and teach their kids. 

Also, Slendy the "leader" of Creepypasta?  Yeah no.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 07:45:30 AM
Yeah that's pretty true, very disturbing that kids as old as 12 thought that Slendy was real.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 11:50:39 PM
Last night, I listened to a segment of Darkness Radio that detailed the case.  Dave Schrader brought up a few things about one of the girls' folks.  This is not to condemn all parents who share similar interests, but methinks that the home life should at least be looked into, considering that the girl couldn't discern fantasy from reality.

The father, who was mentioned the most, is a death metal fan, and this was only brought up because he posted something on Instagram months prior.  While out for dinner, his daughter drew a stick figure of Slendy on a napkin with crayon and he posted it on Instagram and proudly proclaimed that only his daughter would draw Slendy on a napkin.

Thus, he was fully aware of his daughter's obsession, but neglected to talk to her about it.  How did he not know that his daughter had been planning a murder since freakin' December?!

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 12:03:30 AM
Parents can be idiots.

I remember hearing a news report about this teenager who stored ammunition underneath his bed.

The parents' response? "We did not know anything about this."

EDIT: Looking at this post, I realized I completely failed to convey what I wanted to. What I meant to say is that parents are idiots.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 12:12:16 AM
This is another thing that once again falls on the parents.  The parents need to be mindful of what their kids are up to, particularly if the kids are young and are living on the Internet as much as this girl apparently was. 

At the age of twelve, it is illegal for a child to be active online without parental supervision.  This is something I've helped enforce elsewhere.  Various wikis will attract younger people, and I've had to ban people for being under the age of thirteen, and Wikia implemented a feature on other wikis that prevents guests from editing. 

The girls' interests should have been monitored.  Their parents should have taken the time to talk to them, particularly if they were crazy obsessed.  If your kid was obsessed with Slenderman and you noticed it, wouldn't you talk to them?  Try to get into their world?

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 12:23:41 AM
Initially, I was willing to let the parents slide on this one, providing they lacked the knowledge of who Slenderman is. Perhaps they just thought he was a harmless cartoon character like Spongebob and shrugged it off.

But if the parents know full well how disturbing Slenderman is... then yeah, I can't really defend anyone here.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #19 on: June 06, 2014, 01:13:53 AM
Even if the subject was harmless, parents should still take the time to get into their kids' world.  If your kid is crazy-obsessed with anything, regardless of the subject matter, you should find out why.  This obsession provides the opportunity to teach the child the difference between fantasy and reality.

This case will once again bring about a witch hunt and parents will be cracking down once again on games, particularly violent games.  Since the one girl's parents are Goths, then Goths will become scrutinized.  Creepypasta itself will be targeted.  These hunts will prove futile because it's not the media that causes stuff like this to happen.  The responsibility to teach children the difference between fantasy and reality falls squarely on the parents.  Blaming the media is a cop-out.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: June 06, 2014, 01:35:58 AM
I don't know I think the Dad at least was connecting with his daughter since he knew who Slendy was and was okay with her interest.  The brother was also very aware of how she liked creepy pasta and Slendy in general, but he said that she acted normal despite her tastes.  You have to remember sociopaths can act completely normal despite the fact they aren't. 

Besides if you were planning a murder and running away from home to go to some guy you thought was a god you wouldn't mentioned to your parents 'oh by the way I'm going to murder one of my friends to appease Slenderman and become his proxy I'll send you some letters when I go to him bye'. 

Some kids like creepy [parasitic bomb] and that's actually normal, her family was aware of this and thought she was normal, but she was able to fool them into thinking she was normal when clearly she was not.  It's especially worse in the fact that she had friends and was talking to them well enough, if she was a loner that would have raised a flag but she clearly wasn't.

Now that isn't to say that I'm not blaming the parents, but I can understand how they couldn't have known.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #21 on: June 06, 2014, 02:12:17 AM
Of course the kids aren't going to come right out and say that they're planning to kill someone.  It still doesn't hurt to become more involved with the child and their interests.  To have a casual knowledge is just that; a casual knowledge.  If your kid is obsessed to the point that this is their entire life and they believe in a fictitious character, then you need to step in.  You need to learn more about their interest, not just about the interest itself.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: June 06, 2014, 03:44:21 AM
Well either the two have some kind of mental issue that they seriously tried to appease a horror figure by stabbing a girl to near-death, real character or no,

or it's what their lawyer told them to say since the victim wasn't actually killed, which is just as likely

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #23 on: June 06, 2014, 03:48:35 AM
I'm hoping they get psychiatric help.  Tossing them in prison would end up being far more detrimental to their already-fragile psyches.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: June 06, 2014, 03:53:02 AM
Well either the two have some kind of mental issue that they seriously tried to appease a horror figure by stabbing a girl to near-death, real character or no,

or it's what their lawyer told them to say since the victim wasn't actually killed, which is just as likely

Well, what else could it be besides mental issues?

Whether it's what the lawyer told them to say or not, those girls are bonkers, plain and simple.