Project Beast; possible sequel to Demons Souls?

Blue Valkyrie · 10693

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
on: May 05, 2014, 02:11:47 AM
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=812089

Not long ago screenshots popped up of a possible new project being developed by FROM Software tentatively called "Project Beast", this should all be taken with a gain of salt at this point but if these are real it certain does look like FROM' excellent dark phantasy style present in King's Field,Shadow Tower/ABYSS, Demons Souls and the Dark Souls series.

Myazaki has gone on record saying he was working on a new project and was only consulting on Dark Souls II so perhaps this is it? Also shotguns; well Shadow Tower Abyss had firearms so not like this is a new thing FROM is doing. Either way I hope this is true, will give me a reason to save up for a PS4.

Guess we'll find out come E3?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 04:23:12 AM by Phi »

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 04:09:41 AM
Intrigued... looking forward to hearing more of this. Enjoying a rerun of Dark Souls as it is, before hopping into Dark Souls 2.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 03:42:00 PM
Project Beast trailer was shown at E3 under the title "Bloodborne", slated for 2015 release on PS4 only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXqiIxwPINs

So Bloodborne is a spin off to the souls game, we know it will play similar and have co-op play; I'm looking forward to this and I will definitely be getting a PS4 for this game.

VaatiVidya has a really good video on this game up right now since it seems he had access and permission to use footage from the 30 min demo that was shown behind closed doors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9GDy0wTEFI&list=UUe0DNp0mKMqrYVaTundyr9w

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 01:41:05 AM
I was hoping to see a little bit more gameplay, but anything is better than nothing at this point. It's looking good so far, from what little's there.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 03:29:28 PM
The game has been in development since the release of the Artorias of the Abyss expansion for Dark Souls 1 but I guess Miazaki doesn't want to rush this game out or show off too much till he's good and ready. Dark Souls 1 and 2 were like this after announcement too though.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 12:16:56 AM
Project Beast Unreleased Trailer

Here's a leaked trailer for it, all gameplay! Probably made of older footage, but should still give a good idea of what it's like.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 11:10:06 PM
Rumor is there are no shields in this game, going to have re-think my whole way of fighting in a souls game. (maybe play a shield less build in Dark Souls II )).

Combat looks even faster than Dark Souls II, and that lighting engine is beautiful and you gotta love the Victorian setting. Balataria, Lordran and Drangliek are all great locals but there is something to say about Gothic architecture, this game should appeal to Castlevania fans a little too.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 04:05:43 PM
Apparently, making the player rethink how they fight in a Souls game was the entire point.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 04:25:00 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing players move away from hiding behind a shield as much, also this means no more Havel's Armor too; getting sick of seeing Havel users in Dark Souls II.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 11:41:13 AM
I've been seeing a lot of Smelter's users as well. Thankfully this usually means they can't dodge though.

But yeah, hopefully this means that people will be unable to hide behind a shield or run away...

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 03:30:01 PM
The Smelter set isn't to bad to deal with but Havel's has ridiculous physical and magical defense plus they made it upgradable this time; it's completely unbalanced. Honestly if you wear heavy armor class equipment you shouldn't be able to mid or fast roll no matter what your Endurance or Equip load is. The whole point of light to mid armor is mobility with some defense while heavy armor is for tanking.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 03:19:33 AM
February 6th 1015? Didn't realize it was that soon!

Nothing new in the trailer mind you, but still a great one. I love the demons souls-esq enemy design.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 02:14:52 AM
Bloodborne | TGS 2014 trailer
Seems to me like a large part of that trailer is either prerendered, or has already been downgraded a-la Dark Souls 2.

I mean, they ARE targetting 30FPS, which the game visibly can't stay at, judging from that first trailer, and the gameplay footage we've seen so far from, what was it, TGS? (and the alpha)

suppose I should drop this here

Bloodborne Cleric Beast Boss Alpha Test Gameplay Full HD 1080p

keeps looking (and sounding) cool despite the visual downgrade, but note the fact that you can pretty much spam the insta "parry" gun without penalty. I just hope the game doesnt fulfill my fears on how casualized the gameplay seems. Regenerating health on attacks after youve been hit, a parry gun you can spam, with bullets that you can get as loot, (and apparently quite a few bullets too) and consumables that function identically like Grass in DeS.

I wonder how the checkpoint system will work. Considering this is just souls -shields. Will it have checkpoints like Dark Souls, or make you go all the way through like Demon's Souls? Given the increasingly simplified checkpoints in this series, ( King's Field sent you right back to the title screen unless you had special items that acted like lives, making you re-load last save - DeS had no checkpoints, but when you die you go back to the hub, and can warp to the start of the areas - Dark Souls had checkpoints, but they were scattered relatively far from each other - Dark Souls 2 had checkpoints everywhere) Im hoping this goes back to at LEAST DS1 tier checkpoints.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 02:32:39 AM
Comparing the two, it doesn't really look all that downgraded to me. Different lighting, sure, but nowhere near DS2 levels of different.

As for the concerns about the parry gun... I couldn't help but notice that it did little to nothing except stun the boss after several shots (whom I assuming is the equivalent of the Taurus Demon).

As for the regenerating health, isn't that only if you're drenched in blood? I seem to recall reading that somewhere.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: December 05, 2014, 01:32:08 PM
From what I recall reading, you only regenerate health if you pull off a well-timed counter immediately after you're attacked, and that has the side effect of leaving you potentially more vulnerable than you would be if you just backed off and used a healing item later.  The dev described it as a risk/reward kind of healing mechanism.

As for checkpoints, keep in mind Dark Souls 2 was developed by a different team, and it's the DeS/DaS team working on Bloodborne.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: December 05, 2014, 10:17:46 PM

As for the concerns about the parry gun... I couldn't help but notice that it did little to nothing except stun the boss after several shots (whom I assuming is the equivalent of the Taurus Demon
Thats the point. Its like a parry. You shoot when they are about to attack and they get stunned, allowing you to execute a riposte. And since its ranged, theres no risk

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: December 06, 2014, 12:35:10 AM
Thats the point. Its like a parry. You shoot when they are about to attack and they get stunned, allowing you to execute a riposte. And since its ranged, theres no risk
I know... I don't see the problem, is what I'm saying. It likely won't do much good in groups, and I'm sure certain enemy types won't be affected by it so dodging will be necessary.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: December 06, 2014, 12:56:34 AM
Time to clear up the health Regen system a little bit.

When you take damage the amount lost appears as an lighter part on your health bar, for a few seconds you have the opportunity to get some of it back by striking at the enemy, it's not a large amount of time and you obviously put yourself at huge risk of being attacked by other enemies as well as remember you are often fighting mobs. If you take any damage or fail to capitalize on the time allotted you lose the health permanently and will need to use a blood vial to recover your HP (at the risk of becoming more beast like if the impure/pure blood system is as we think it is).

As for parry spamming the gun that doesn't work either, you need to fire it off at JUST the right time and be reasonably close to the target. Also you have limited ammo so deciding when to use it will likely be very important, I wouldn't use the footage as an example of how much ammo the game will throw at you, remember it's a demo build.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: December 07, 2014, 01:00:53 AM
My wallet is going to be so empty, but I really want Bloodborne.  :'(

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: December 07, 2014, 02:42:50 AM
Looking pretty good. I wonder how the COOP (and probably PVP) elements will play out. Truth be told, while I'm expecting something similar to what we have in DeS and DS, the ability to invite someone we know in without a hassle would be nice for a change.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: December 07, 2014, 03:19:21 AM
You have a menu option to summon or be summoned, otherwise it seems to be about the same as always if the network test is any indication.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: December 07, 2014, 09:57:35 AM
The coop video was cool, but the Roguelike dungeon is actually really disappointing the more I hear about it.

Once the dungeon randomly generates, that's it. That's your dungeon, and it won't change. Which is where that online community aspect comes in- you can share your dungeon map with other players, and even invite them to play in yours and vice versa. While that's cool, I was really hoping more for something that changes every time you go in or something.

The fact that souls seem to actually still be there, (pay attention in the dungeon video, when the Main PC kills an enemy, there's an effect very similar to the soul absorption effect from DaS) irks me a bit, as I was really expecting and kind of HOPING it wouldn't be there, despite how much like souls the game already is.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: December 08, 2014, 01:44:54 AM
Well Bloodborne is to Souls as Shadow Tower was the King's Field. Different name but basically the same series. Not really surprised many key elements are still there like absorbing souls. Demons Souls lifted the consuming souls from Shadow Tower as well.