Quickman · 3599

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
on: May 03, 2014, 12:45:24 AM
Naming your characters; methods, meanings, etc.

Another TFN topic I felt pertinent.  So, when naming your RP characters, what methods do you usually use?  Do you stick to primarily existing characters?  Do you prefer OCs?  How do you go about naming your characters?  Do you use name generators?  Your own name and anagrams of it?  Nicknames?  Do you name by meaning, by sound, by look, the amount of beats?

If I'm not using an existing name (Trak or Quickie), I've used throwaway names for my RP characters (Funger Muckuss, Lizardon, Spanky, Iggy, etc).  For some games, I just don't put a lot of thought into the name and throw in whatever, which eventually just sticks.  It's a dumb habit that's followed me through the years, and still shows up.

For stories, I tend to stick to names with a certain sound.  I want a certain number of beats and certain consonants and vowels to reflect the sound I want.  Hard characters get hard names with hard sounds.  I want a gruff sergeant, so I want their name to sound like a dog's barking.  I want a weaselly administrator, so I want their name to sound important and snaky.  Slimy characters get slimy names. 

Meaning used to be an important part in name creation for me, until I learned that more often than not, sound commands more feeling than meaning.  You can have a character whose name means "ruler of the Death Castle," but the name "Mabuz" does not itself command fright.  The sound is all wrong.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 01:13:08 AM
Regarding character names, I've only ever used about... 4 different names?

It's either been an existing name (RMZX.EXE), a merger between two different names (Touko Clefant) or something completely unused by me before (Josei Onna). In the case of the last one, I used the name I used for my first run of Persona 4 and then took the "ona" part off of Persona and added another n.

I never really name with purpose, just names that I like.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 01:35:25 AM
I tend to choose my names or names I've used before. It's obvious where I got the name Taylor from for things, and Robin himself is a reworking of my old OC Robb so his name was reworked too.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 01:56:15 AM
I got the name Phi from Virtue's Last Reward, and gained a fondness for her character. Soon afterwards, I found out that it originated from the Greek Alphabet. Much like her character, the name Phi has various mathematical, philosophical and scientific connections.

I now understood why she was complex and somewhat more intelligent than the other characters in the game. I respected that, and attempted to craft the WilyRP Phi in the same vein; creating a potent, intelligent and psychologically aware character of my own.

For example, Phi represents the Golden Ratio (essentially, a perfect, aesthetically pleasing mathematical ratio), among many other mathematical solutions and scientific theories.

Because Phi is associated with experimental theories and reliance on perception, the mere implications of the name is mysterious in itself. Thus, that is part of the reason why WilyRP Phi is cryptic and bound to a set of laws she stands by, even if some of them aren't entirely proven.

-----

Archetype (though I'm calling him Arche, for short) is from my interest with Greek Mythology and the Hero's Journey.

As you all may know, an Archetype is, in layman's terms, the original version of an object, idea, person, pattern of behavior, etc.

Arche goes on a journey after Luna's tragedy, and circumvent many obstacles and undertake various "trials". This is the very idea of the "Hero's Journey", a fundamental pattern/cycle of which many characters in stories must go through to find their path in life.

-----

Lastly, Akane is from 999, therefore connected to Virtue's Last Reward (same series/universe). After looking up her name, I discovered that Akane is a Japanese representation of anger and is often associated with the color red. The name can also mean, "Angry Child"

However, neither 999 Akane or WilyRP Akane are irate or hot-headed characters, so I assume they chose the name simply because it sounded nice. I liked her character, much like how I respected Phi, so I made my own version.

Oh, and the sounds haven't really bothered me. Phi, Arche(type) and Akane are short and to the point.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 10:50:12 AM by Phi »

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 04:57:50 AM
Blue's name was thought up after the character was designed and the back story written. Blue has a real name though, although I'm not sure I should spoil it before it becomes relevant. The name Blue was of course based on her primary colour scheme however her home world of Azure Star is a planet of deep blue oceans and blue skys, that's were her nickname Blue came from as well as referencing a certain Blue bomber I grew up playing.

As for the original question, I tend to stick with a few names and reuse them.

Rue - For most of my male protagonists
Mina - For most of my female protagonists
Lynn/Kaden was a DnD character I played in my friend's campaign called Amya (the game was later transitioned into a web comic but I still use the Lynn name on occasion)
Lethe- Another name I use on occasion.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 05:11:40 AM
Dr. Wily II... Is just a II added behind. >0<
boforte... Since Forte is to Rockman, RPM as borockman, so... >0<
Buns was through a poll.

Joe... Earl...
Well, Joe was a play on Youngster Joey.
As for Earl... It's from a Johnny Test ep, when he says he's not Johnny, but... Earl. The situation was a fit for Earl in the HoennRP.

Dr. Doom II is just a combo of Dr. Doom, and Dr. Wily II.
AFRODOK was fun to come up with. :P

As for how to come up with names, I tend to stick to established names, and play with them to my needs.

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 06:07:07 AM
Protoman Blues is based, obviously, on my love of Blues. Pretty Bunny ProtoGal Blues is a fun mix of my own silliness + something something Japan love.

All my other character names are usually based on all the numerous characters I have come up with for my stories & bios & such. They're usually fantasy or comic book-ish.

Offline Pyro

• Wielder of the Chaos Force
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 07:29:48 AM
I, for the life of me, cannot remember the precise origin of the "Pyro" (short for "pyrodafox") name because I have been using it for almost fourteen years. As the name suggests, I have a bit of an affinity for fire. The fox part probably comes from me being a huge Sonic the Hedgehog fan... and to my eternal shame, Pyro was pretty much a Tails recolor for most of his existence.

Come and read some Thoughts of a Platypus

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 08:00:16 AM
When giving names to characters, it really depends on what I'm going for with the character.

For example, the Death Masters are all based on various versions of death, or a figure related to the passing of souls and the like. So in that sense I grabbed everything from mythology for that one. The same goes for the name of Fxeni's weapon, Yamalok.

For other characters, the names aren't really based on anything in particular. Ariani, for example, is just a basic name tweaked a little so that it sticks a bit longer in memory without being too complex to pronounce.

Then there's Fxeni, the good ol' random mashup. I hadn't particularly expected to use it as the character name, but then it just kind of happened. I know PB was having fun using it to name vehicles and the like though.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 08:45:45 AM
I do love Fxenaming things, yes.

Perhaps I should introduce a Fxelantis into the Wily RP, as our aquatic base of operations?  8D