Would a Maverick Hunter X2-6 have turned out well?

AquaTeamV3 · 10317

Offline Cherrykorock

• Dr Light's other creation
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Zero can divide by Zero.
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: September 17, 2013, 12:51:06 PM
Guys, we messed up.
Clearly X2 needs playable GBD.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: September 17, 2013, 07:50:35 PM
What would be really awesome is if you could play as GBD on the intro and he dies there anyway. :D

Offline Cherrykorock

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: September 17, 2013, 11:47:53 PM
What would be really awesome is if you could play as GBD on the intro and he dies there anyway. :D
And it would still last longer than an average phone game..

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: September 18, 2013, 01:12:36 AM
I'd buy it just for GBD mode.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: September 18, 2013, 01:14:35 AM
But could he be separated from his bike? Or are the wheelies essential to his gameplay?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #30 on: September 18, 2013, 01:36:53 AM
...okay, THAT is actually pretty funny.  I kinda hate the whole GBD meme, but for just one almost-joke level, I'd be down for that.

Oh we cannot stop there, Shell. How else would she play? How would she look in "Combat" mode? Can she combine the swords to form one double bladed sword?
I'd keep her appearance the same just 'cuz.  Also, I have a hard time letting go of that skirt-hover idea of yours.  XD  Hadn't thought of a double-bladed sword, per se, but a double-bladed shock wave would make a nice special skill to learn from Grizzly in X5 (yes, her X5 special weapons would be unique to her).

Iris would be capable of the "standard melee combo" shpiel, but while her range is nice and wide, her power is lacking when compared to Zero.  Rather than attacking directly, she would do greater damage by punishing enemies for attacking her.  Her saber attacks reflect enemy projectiles while adding power to the rebound.  Iris could also assume a "guard stance" to block any attack from ahead or above, whether projectile or otherwise.  This includes contact damage, although bosses can "push" her out of their way.  3 successful blocks powers up a twin charged saber attack, but if she does take a hit, she'll lose any energy that she's built up.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Cherrykorock

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: September 18, 2013, 03:00:29 AM
X5 should let you play as Douglas.
He could have a smg as his normal weapon.
When he beats a boss he gets a separate gun like Axl does.
Since he's good at making parts maybe his gun could be modular with upgrades you unlock instead of having Armor upgrades.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: September 18, 2013, 03:17:33 AM
But could he be separated from his bike? Or are the wheelies essential to his gameplay?
All he has is wheelies, it's the only way it would be accepted.

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: September 19, 2013, 02:24:43 PM
I'm going to say a major problem with X5 and X6 was that they started you out with armor. If an MHX 5 or 6 were made I'd actually like to see them do away with bringing back the armor from the previous game.

I would agree with this. Starting with Fourth Armor in X5 was ridiculous. Designing stages around Falcon in X6 was stupid (Unarmored X has a better charge shot, so he actually has a tradeoff). Giving air dash to Unarmored X and Shadow would solve a lot of the immediate design mistakes, though I'm not so sure what other repercussions that might have.

I'll touch on X6 just because I'm sure it'll be a hot-button issue: I'd leave the core level design EXACTLY as it is.  However, ...

I can understand the reasoning to be an absolute purist, but some of the stuff from X6 is inexcusable and would need some tweaking. Flame already mentioned Heatnix and Sheldon's main path.

That roly poly spike segment in Yammark's stage is inexcusable. If people [parasitic bomb] on MM9 for trial-and-error stage design like Splash Woman, there's no defense for this part. You should never force a situation where a player is <i>punished</i> for having to guess.

Scaravich's stage being random is simply dumb. You shouldn't have to visit the stage multiple times on a search quest while being a victim to RNG. This amplifies the stupidity of armor sets because you have an armor completely reliant on the player stumbling on one of its essential pieces. They should've let you choose a path, e.g. touching either the upper or lower half of the totem poles determines your path.

Wolfang with Heatnix's nightmare effect is silly. How they expect you to dodge everything is unreasonable.

If you're preserving the oddities of Gate Lab, the essential parts like Hyper Dash and Jumper really need to either be moved around or at least hinted on their importance. Not okay to underplay what is considered mandatory by neglecting to mention them. Or when they do mention them, they really, really [tornado fang] it up:

Quote from: North Pole Area
Alia: A High Jump Part will be help.

One more thing I would add is the known facts of what is possible postrelease, i.e. "unintended" things. For example, I firmly believe Capcom intended Shadow to be obtained using Blade, and thus, <i>after</i> Blade. It's a commonly known fact that you can get Shadow Body in Turtloid's stage by simply tanking a hit and dashing through the spikes. The problem is, removing the exploit rubs purists the wrong way, but leaving it in comes off as extremely tacky in terms of design. If your intention is to allow players to search for either armor in whichever order, the requirements to completing one of them shouldn't rely on obscure and nonsensical methods. Forcing a hit on the player to advance is <i>not</i> okay, as witty as it might sound.

The obvious solution would be to widen the gap to not necessitate a pixel-perfect air dash, but then you would be taking away what is considered a "feature" of Blade.

Also, The [tornado fang] was with this bit in the boss rush stage..?

Was this supposed to be a misleading path? Why would anyone fall for it? The one without the spikes will obviously be more appealing.

When I was young, I honestly thought that path was a secret that led to an armor capsule or something. I think expecting reason out of Capcom's design choices is asking too much.

Bad Box Art Snake Man Joins the Battle!