Mighty No. 9

Nexus · 257752

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #1550 on: June 22, 2016, 03:47:54 AM
Should I fire up some RosenkreuzStilette to get some practice while I wait for my copy to arrive and patches get put out?

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #1551 on: June 22, 2016, 03:58:12 AM
Based on frustrations, load up IWBTG instead. 8D

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #1552 on: June 22, 2016, 04:20:22 AM
Dug into it. It plays pretty good. Better than it looks. I had fun with a few stages. Gonna stream it this weekend.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Cherrykorock

• Dr Light's other creation
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Zero can divide by Zero.
    • View Profile
Reply #1553 on: June 22, 2016, 05:01:31 AM

Tl;dr don't believe the reviews, the gameplay is satisfying and addictive. The controls are 100% responsive and easy to pull off. Unlike Megaman this game wants you to go very fast and kill everything.

You can dash, air dash, and low dash. Best part? Not limited to a single air dash and can keep doing it, although you lose altitude quickly. Also you can change directions and grab a ledge if you feel you're going to miss a jump.

I'm about 4 bosses in and the powers are pretty fun and have some utility to them. Near as I can tell there is kind of a weakness chain but not really. It's all about finding the right weapon to satisfy the conditions.

I.e. If there's a lot of small things at once use the Pyro form, if there's an enemy at an awkward angle use Dyna form. Etc.

You'll find yourself switching forms frequently.

The difficulty comes from 3 places.

Your Xcelerate(the dash kill), hazards, and tough bosses.

Lemme explain the risk of Xcelerating. You hit an enemy X number of times, they flash a color, then you dash into them. The faster you do it the more Xel (points and [parasitic bomb]) you get as well as boosts in power, speed, and I think defense. However there are a lot of times there are many enemies placed at once or a really precarious situation so you can't dash all Willy nilly. You have to be careful and fast. That's where the excitement and frustration. You wanna go fast but you need to pay attention because this game is NOT shy about 1 hit deaths. Hell, a boss has one. (very avoidable though)

The music feels very Megaman 1 (swear I hear part of Firemans theme in the boss tune..) and the sounds are great although the voices and SFX drown the music out! You can turn those down and its much better. You can also adjust your controls to your liking. I set Dash to the ZL (left bumper) because of the Zero/Zx series and it feels a lot better.

Graphics are good for an indie game and a Wii U title but nothing worth mentioning really.

This game is all about the gameplay and it feels great.

I bought it on the Wii U shop for $20 and picked up the DLC for an additional $5.

Definitely worth it. Haven't touched the DLC yet.

+Fun as hell
+Tough but fair
+Feels fresh with some Megaman vibes
+Multiple air dashes (!)
+Good visual design and characters
+controls are flawless
+Great price
+Music never feels out of place or too subdued
---------
-Lazy storytelling
-Bad story
-No facial animations
-So-so English voice acting at best
-Stages aren't very difficult or interesting in places
-Very long load times even for just respawning!!!

It's a very good game just don't go in expecting Megaman 11 or whatever. Playing it like a Megaman game will [tornado fang] you hard!!

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #1554 on: June 22, 2016, 05:09:53 AM
Game is fun so far, I've taken out 4 robot masters Mighty Numbers already. There is one section in Dyna's stage that reeks of terrible level design. "Hey, let's introduce the player to this movement option in a death trap where they have to start over if they slightly misjudge a hitbox".  X(

I like mechanic of defeated bosses helping you out in other stages. Feels like a natural evolution of what they did in X1.

Also, glad it wasn't just me having trouble trying to judge Pyro's next move. Even the voice tells don't seem to help much, I feel like I'm rolling dice.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1555 on: June 22, 2016, 05:34:50 AM
I know this a bit late, but here's some clarification about the "It's better than nothing" quote that Inafune himself never said, but it was something the Deep Silver translator added. For once, my hunch was actually right.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #1556 on: June 22, 2016, 05:37:55 AM
Ugh [tornado fang] Deep Silver. -AC

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1557 on: June 22, 2016, 05:47:05 AM

They couldn't be bothered to proofread the credits

Brilliant

Offline Night

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1558 on: June 22, 2016, 06:23:37 AM
Pyrogen has little to no tells when he preforms his attacks, both use the same animation and it's really hard to tell if he's going to shoulder rush/explode you or jump.

Yeah from what I saw of the beta Pyrogen just plain sucks, his cues are actually audio cues but they get drown out during the mid boss dialog.

-AC
I keep seeing this everywhere and wondering why people keep thinking like this. Are they not paying attention to him before his attacks? Maybe it's the fact that he has audio cues that's actually encouraging players to not pay as much attention to his visual cues, but he does have them. Go watch some gameplay from someone else and you'll see it.

If he leans down and puts his hand to the ground, he's going to do a straight charge.
When he raises his arms up? He's going to body slam.
Is he pounding his fists together? It's his explosion move.

Haven't I mentioned this before?  :|

I can't say anything about his insta-kill move or any of the other bosses until I've actually played myself, but I know for sure he doesn't have just audio-cues.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1559 on: June 22, 2016, 06:25:10 AM
I did watch someone else play Pyrogen, hench the advice because the audio cues are better than the visual cues since the visual cues are more subtle.  The Instant Kill does have a notable visual cue however. 

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1560 on: June 22, 2016, 06:44:13 AM
Okay, I'm two levels into this annnnnnnnd I really don't see a problem with this game. I'm really enjoying myself actually!

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Reply #1561 on: June 22, 2016, 08:02:57 AM
I know this a bit late, but here's some clarification about the "It's better than nothing" quote that Inafune himself never said, but it was something the Deep Silver translator added. For once, my hunch was actually right.

Hmm... are some of the people even reading that tidbit? I see in the comments they keep on saying some things... maybe after it was added?

Also tired people saying this is a mediocre game that's $4 million... they do not understand how game development and management work. >_>;

Sadly it's because of these uneducated kids (and Deep Silver not helping with the matter) that's really hurting this game more than it should. Honestly I'm enjoying MN9, it's a blast! I love how fast-pace it is and how tough it can be if you're impatient at times.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1562 on: June 22, 2016, 09:05:37 AM
well having played it, its ok I guess. it's pretty much exactly what the demos gave us, just more polished. I'm still not terribly fond of the dash based combat. Ray meanwhile, plays much better

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #1563 on: June 22, 2016, 09:15:20 AM
well having played it, its ok I guess. it's pretty much exactly what the demos gave us, just more polished. I'm still not terribly fond of the dash based combat. Ray meanwhile, plays much better

Ray is fun, but holy cow her health depleting mechanics is challenging to keep high! XD

Plus you don't have to rely on the dash-based combat, you can just shoot from afar like most action side-scrolling platformer games like this.

Also the people on Steam and bloody mean on MN9! So many negative reviews and it seems more on them hating it like most people with the money thing again saying it's "Not Recommended"... it's asinine. Well I posted my very first review on Stream which is MN9 and it's a positive one and I know I'm going to take a lot of heat for it, but I don't care. I enjoyed and I will freely express that.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #1564 on: June 22, 2016, 09:24:39 AM
Steam, Chris. You mean Steam. And the reaction there is not surprising at all.

I'm actually really digging the dash mechanic. It makes moving around really swift, and comboing it as a kill move is pretty satisfying. The stat boosts are kinda whatever, though. I don't think they add much.

With Pyro I wasn't looking for cues at all. I just kinda reacted and kept my distance.

I've beaten all 8 numbers now. Brandish's stage, Cryo's boss fight, and the challenge with Seismic form are the only things that really frustrated me so far. Some of the forms are not very good, but that's par for the course in Mega Man. Story is dumb, some of the voices are overacting, Call is supremely underacting, and what little music I hear isn't sticking.

Despite those nitpicks, I'm overall really liking it still.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1565 on: June 22, 2016, 09:29:11 AM
To be fair to Call the under acting is on purpose since they wanted to make it a point that she's more robot like than the others.

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #1566 on: June 22, 2016, 09:42:15 AM
Steam, Chris. You mean Steam.

Another blunder by me, what's new? -u-'

EDIT: Well I'm peeved... my review didn't register on Steam and I have to write it again! I hate when things like this happen. o//////o

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1567 on: June 22, 2016, 05:02:17 PM
Hmm... are some of the people even reading that tidbit? I see in the comments they keep on saying some things... maybe after it was added?

Also tired people saying this is a mediocre game that's $4 million... they do not understand how game development and management work. >_>;

Sadly it's because of these uneducated kids (and Deep Silver not helping with the matter) that's really hurting this game more than it should. Honestly I'm enjoying MN9, it's a blast! I love how fast-pace it is and how tough it can be if you're impatient at times.
I'm tempted to make a Disqus account to tell these losers to [tornado fang] right off. I'm sick of seeing this bullshit everywhere I go, it's almost as bad as Unkawaii's experience of Undertale's rabid fans, and as well as seeing these fuckwits bash any review that gives a positive yet fair review of the game. Granted, I still haven't gotten my copy and it probably won't show up until next week (thanks, Amazon), but Jesus [tornado fang]ing Christ, this should be the textbook definition of "pathetic." And I for one am not going to stand this [parasitic bomb] any longer. I would also like to add that some people must major graphic whores when they're trying to remake the game on the Unreal 4 engine. Can't wait for the system requirements to go much higher than it needs to be.

EDIT: Well I'm peeved... my review didn't register on Steam and I have to write it again! I hate when things like this happen. o//////o
Is it a long review? I ran into a problem when I tried to submit my review of Banzai Pecan: The Last Disgrace of This Century because of how much I wanted to rip BrothaKyo a new [dark hold] so I had to abridge it and stick the unabridged version in my crappy Blogger account until I can summon up the drive to make a new/better blog elsewhere. Maybe shortening it might help.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #1568 on: June 22, 2016, 05:36:42 PM
Welp, my brother got a Humble Bundle key for PS4 due to being a backer, but the PS4 key didn't work. Goes to work, comes back in the night to find he's been switched for a Steam key instead. Except it was only the DLC, and he still don't actually have the game code. Anyone else been screwed over like this?

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1569 on: June 22, 2016, 07:46:57 PM
I'm tempted to make a Disqus account to tell these losers to [tornado fang] right off. I'm sick of seeing this bullshit everywhere I go, it's almost as bad as Unkawaii's experience of Undertale's rabid fans, and as well as seeing these fuckwits bash any review that gives a positive yet fair review of the game. Granted, I still haven't gotten my copy and it probably won't show up until next week (thanks, Amazon), but Jesus [tornado fang]ing Christ, this should be the textbook definition of "pathetic." And I for one am not going to stand this [parasitic bomb] any longer. I would also like to add that some people must major graphic whores when they're trying to remake the game on the Unreal 4 engine. Can't wait for the system requirements to go much higher than it needs to be.

Telling people to [tornado fang] off will make the situation worse, not better.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1570 on: June 22, 2016, 07:54:26 PM
Plus you don't have to rely on the dash-based combat, you can just shoot from afar like most action side-scrolling platformer games like this.

issue is the game is balanced around dashing. so you are meant to hit 2 times maybe, and then dash. otherwise it takes too long to kill enemies, and they are often placed in spots that make that annoying. It's worth noting that unlike megaman enemies, MN9 enemies really dont move a whole lot.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Strider Xhaiden

• The Token Brit.
  • Master's Unit
  • Never "Great", just varying degrees of "OK".
    • View Profile
Reply #1571 on: June 22, 2016, 08:30:03 PM
I'll just leave this here.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

My Twitch channel. Random streams during the week.
Currently streaming: Transformers: Devastation

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1572 on: June 22, 2016, 08:31:10 PM
Telling people to [tornado fang] off will make the situation worse, not better.

Though I imagine that in this case, ANYTHING that isn't "lol comcept" would make things worse...

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1573 on: June 22, 2016, 08:35:40 PM
Though I imagine that in this case, ANYTHING that isn't "lol comcept" would make things worse...

All anyone can do is ignore them.

Though most people here are known to have trouble with that.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1574 on: June 22, 2016, 08:40:06 PM
I'll just leave this here.

[spoiler][/spoiler]
glorious