Why does everyone like Mega Man 3 so much?

DiveMissle · 20459

Poll

Do you like Mega Man 3?

YES!
9 (42.9%)
Kind of.
6 (28.6%)
No.
2 (9.5%)
I don't care.
1 (4.8%)
Why did you make a poll?
3 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: August 27, 2013, 07:39:11 PM
And then you can attack him from underneath with the Shadow Blades without any fear of getting hit, and then when he gets to his second form you can kill him in one hit.

And if you do that, he can get you in one hit with his fists.

Its safer to not play coward.

Offline MacDaddyMike

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: August 27, 2013, 07:49:03 PM
Anyone who gets hit with that fist had it coming.

Mega Man Unlimited - Playthrough, Review and Criticism
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxNyTfF87xMRmb6jqKKTAmOrElKZkv3om

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #27 on: August 27, 2013, 07:49:34 PM
If you can't see a precedent establishing element as new, then there's no hope for you and yeah, we're not gonna agree and there's no point in even arguing.

But it's true, there's really no point in arguing over why you like something peiod.  You like it or you don't.  Very subjective.

Offline MacDaddyMike

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: August 27, 2013, 07:58:41 PM
Would you consider the menu music in MM9 new?  It's the first time they reused a song directly from MM2.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #29 on: August 27, 2013, 07:59:39 PM
Dude, give it up.  I'm not going to agree with you. 

Offline MacDaddyMike

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: August 27, 2013, 08:00:03 PM
Simple yes or no question.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #31 on: August 27, 2013, 08:01:38 PM
Your question proves you don't even understand the point.

Offline MacDaddyMike

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: August 27, 2013, 08:03:12 PM
Oh?  How is my question different than asking about refighting the MM2 bosses?

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: August 27, 2013, 08:06:58 PM
Oh?  How is my question different than asking about refighting the MM2 bosses?

Because music is not the same as boss fights, boss hit-boxes, or even boss weaknesses. While the MM2 boss powers are reused in the Doc Robots, the conditions in having to fight them are completely altered.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: August 27, 2013, 08:10:04 PM
And you can't Metal Blade almost all of them like last time.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #35 on: August 27, 2013, 08:13:56 PM
Because music is not the same as boss fights, boss hit-boxes, or even boss weaknesses. While the MM2 boss powers are reused in the Doc Robots, the conditions in having to fight them are completely altered.
THANK YOU!  

The topic's about why fans like MM3.  And there's fewer better in answering that question than me.  But as for this argument ...  ::)  

It's liked because it's liked.  That's enough.

Offline MacDaddyMike

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: August 27, 2013, 08:22:50 PM
Boss patterns are identical.  Room layouts are identical aside from Flash Man's refight.  Hitbox differences are negligible and don't actually affect strategy.  Altered weakness it is, I guess, but that doesn't really change how the fight plays out all that much.  Still seems like a copy-and-paste job, and what's changed is not what's being pasted, but what it's being pasted into.  That doesn't make it "new content" to me, it makes it "old content" in a "new game".

It's liked because it's liked.  That's enough.

Oh that's such a boring answer.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: August 27, 2013, 08:24:35 PM
That's pretty much the answer to all opinion questions though.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #38 on: August 27, 2013, 08:31:05 PM
I really hope you weren't expecting to change anyone's mind about the game. 

Especially not mine.  I mean ... obviously. 

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: August 27, 2013, 08:32:51 PM
I sure as heck wouldn't change my mind because we all have different opinions, like me thinking that X6 has the best story in the X series.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #40 on: August 27, 2013, 08:37:44 PM
I sure as heck wouldn't change my mind because we all have different opinions, like me thinking that X6 has the best story in the X series.

BLASPHEMY!!!

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: August 27, 2013, 08:53:52 PM
X6 IS one of the best stories in the X-series. Just also the worst translated one.

And I'm going to take a stance somewhere in the middle here and say: the Doc Robots were a nice idea, but their execution left something to be desired. I prefer my stages not so heavily reliant on exhaustible power up items. Likewise, I prefer to properly dodge the bosses themselves.

Offline MacDaddyMike

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: August 27, 2013, 08:55:08 PM
Not as interested in changing minds as I am in encouraging critical thinking.  "I like it cause I like it" doesn't really say anything, whereas actually thinking about aspects of design brings out more interesting discussion.

But ew X6 ew.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: August 27, 2013, 09:04:13 PM
Boss patterns are identical.  Room layouts are identical aside from Flash Man's refight.  Hitbox differences are negligible and don't actually affect strategy.  Altered weakness it is, I guess, but that doesn't really change how the fight plays out all that much.  Still seems like a copy-and-paste job, and what's changed is not what's being pasted, but what it's being pasted into.  That doesn't make it "new content" to me, it makes it "old content" in a "new game".

Patterns and room layout, yes. Hit-boxes and different weaknesses, plus other tools at your disposal (slide, weapons, Rush) make the fight different. A true "copy and paste" job would be if absolutely nothing changed. Slightly altered new-ness is still new whether you think it is or not.

Also, your question was how asking about the music reuse in MM9 was different than asking about the boss reuse in MM3. The fact that it had to be explained to you in the first place is kinda funny.

For fun, allow me to explain why I like MM3, despite my favorite character in the series being Blues. It's because MegaMan 3 continued the process of trying to improve upon the previous games.
-MM1 had only six RMs and the Magnet Beam.
-MM2 improved upon that by giving us 8 RMs and the Items, plus the secret "final" boss thingy.
-MM3 improved upon that by changing the Items into Rush, giving us the slide, Blues, and offering more to do besides just the Wily Castle. It also got rid of some of the immense "broken-ness" of the MM2 weaponry while also giving a slight homage to the previous game which, quite frankly, really is what gave the series its foothold in the video gaming world.
-MM4 improved upon that by giving us a whole new castle, altering Rush Jet so it's not so broken, adding in Fliptop and 2 other items, and last but not least, giving us the Mega Buster and an insanely better menu screen that the previous games.

Now here's where you can argue it goes slightly off track.

-MM5 gave us the improved Mega Buster, but it was so improved that there's no reason to use any of the other weapons in the game. Like...ever. Also, Beat was awesome.
-MM6 gave us the Rush Adapters, which were awesome, but the weapons were pretty bland and useless and again, really served little purpose because of the Mega Buster. The diverging pathways were cool though.

That's just the main classic NES games. The point I'm getting at is that MM3 really expanded on the already awesome MM2 formula and started to flesh out the series more than any other game. It's very similar to Link to the Past, in that regard. Did MM4 improve upon it? Yes. Yes it did. BECAUSE IT SHOULD HAVE! The goal always should be to improve upon the previous game. It's why Mega Man X was created in the first place, to improve upon the classic series which was starting to run out of ideas. Ultimately, the argument can be easily made that because of MM3, we have a lot of the MM games that we know and love today. MM3 is far from perfect, but the ideas presented in it helped to grow the franchise even further than it already did.

That is why I like it. It's not my favorite though. MM2 will always be my favorite because it was my first MM game. A lot of times, that's how it works.

Not as interested in changing minds as I am in encouraging critical thinking.  "I like it cause I like it" doesn't really say anything, whereas actually thinking about aspects of design brings out more interesting discussion.

Critical thinking? How does "going back and forth about the same argument" and "how is my question about reusing music any different than reusing bosses?" qualify as critical thinking?

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #44 on: August 27, 2013, 09:10:23 PM
It's interesting how the "encouraging critical thinking" would likely end once I agreed MM3 was an inferior game.  I guess that's somehow different than trying to change my mind.  Because, that'd obviously be incredibly futile.  And this is clearly not a futile discussion with the end goal of changing someone's mind.

Offline MacDaddyMike

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: August 27, 2013, 09:22:09 PM
Critical thinking? How does "going back and forth about the same argument" and "how is my question about reusing music any different than reusing bosses?" qualify as critical thinking?

As opposed to "I like it cause I like it"?

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: August 27, 2013, 09:25:31 PM
Because ultimately whether you like the music or bosses it really simply boils down to "I like it because I like it"

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #47 on: August 27, 2013, 09:32:25 PM
Well, after it became clear that you won't even agree that 3 can be liked or is important for introducing Rush and not understanding how introducing old bosses counted as a new idea or how it can be used as a new element it became clear this was not an exchange of ideas, but a circular argument.  And even if we were legitimately exchanging ideas once it became circular it was time to end it.  At least, for my own part.

I made my point.  And it ultimately boils down to "I like it because I like it."  

Oh, and it's fun too.   8B

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: August 27, 2013, 10:34:14 PM
As opposed to "I like it cause I like it"?

That's not critical thinking either. It's personal preference. The point is that neither is.

Offline DiveMissle

• Net Navi
  • I am doing a nuzlocke!
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: August 28, 2013, 01:30:00 AM
The whole point of this thread was for fans of Mega Man 3 to explain why they like it.If I was trying to change people's opinions this thread would called MEGA MAN 3 SUCKS!!I just want to know why so many people like it :\

I lost to Guts Man and only cried for 5 hours.

I guess you could call me MANLY!!!