Things you want/don't want to see in Mega Man 11

MacDaddyMike · 10480

Offline MacDaddyMike

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
on: August 21, 2013, 03:23:23 AM
Yeah, MM11 is looking less like a possibility every year as Capcom keeps deciding to put the series on the backburner, but hypothetically what are some features you'd like to see in the next classic series game, and what are some things that would disappoint you?

I'll start,

Something I'd like to see: more stage interaction with robot master weapons.  One of the few things that I really liked about MM7 was how different weapons unlocked secrets or new areas, like lighting up generators or freezing the molten rivers in Junk Man's stage, or burning down the forest in Slash Man's stage, and the like.  It'd be cool to have more stages with alternate paths like MM6, and I'd like to see more weapons being used to make stages easier to progress through, affecting the various stage gimmicks somehow (like how Time Stopper helps make Quick Man's stage easier, but expanded upon for new possibilities).

Something I don't want to see: another Devil boss.  MM9 and MM10 both had Devil bosses and they were both the worst, most annoying bosses in each respective games.  We've had two in a row, Capcom--we really don't need anymore.  Frankly, I don't think I've ever enjoyed a Devil boss in the entire series, so that's something I wouldn't mind seeing disappear forever.

Mega Man Unlimited - Playthrough, Review and Criticism
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxNyTfF87xMRmb6jqKKTAmOrElKZkv3om

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 03:48:11 AM
I'd like to see actual different endings based on how you beat the game.  A low point of Powered Up was that everyone just got the same ending.  It was nice that you could beat the game with several different characters, but I didn't feel the need to beat the game several times just to see the same ending over and over.

And yeah, the weapons affecting maps and secret stuff was a highlight of 7. 

I like X8's on-the-fly character switching too.  Why not bring that into the classic series?

Maybe an emphasis on stages that are really fun to play?  MM8's snowboarding level would be a good example if they didn't make the difficulty so high.

Megaman Minus Infinity had a good thing going with temporary powerups.  It'd be neat if MM could temporarily steal minor enemy's powers.  Too Kirby, maybe?  Well, temp powers would eb ... something, anyway. 

What I don't want to see?  The Wily Capsule.  GET A NEW IDEA, CAPCOM!  I agree with the Devils too.  MMs 8 - 10 all had devils.  So did R&F and the Power Battles/Fighters.  Enough already.  Make another boss iconic.  How about MM2's dragon?  A revamped Mad Grinder?  A powered up Shadowman perhaps? Think outside of the box, guys.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 04:18:51 AM
but there's already a Mega Man 11

or at least a fan soundtrack.

i want the game to use that soundtrack and those bosses. :D

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 05:16:41 AM
What I want to see:

-Better graphics
Keep in mind, I love, repeat, REALLY [tornado fang]ing LOVE 8-Bit MegaMan. It is my favorite style of MegaMan game to play, without question. Plus I love 8-Bit music. Having said all that, Capcom's new task with the MegaMan franchise is to show that they are [tornado fang]ing trying. There's no reason that the graphics of MegaMan 11 cannot look as awesome as the DuckTales Remastered game. No. Reason. And it has to be done differently because, while graphics are not the be all/end all of MM gaming, again it has to be shown that they're trying and the easiest way to do that is to make it look pretty. It does not need super high end graphics, but just show that you're doing something different while still keeping the formula and level design the same.

-Unlockable stuff
Rockman Blues had the great idea of unlockable Overpowered Playable Blues. Besides that though, they also allowed Rock to use the Mega Buster & Slide once you beat the game. If you want to go the same route with having MM not start off with that ala MM9 & MM10, that's fine. But allow fans to unlock those key, classic features like you did in Rockman Blues. Same with special stages, Forte, and perhaps even Adorable Playable Dressable Roll again. However, Blues must be playable from the beginning.

What I don't want to see:

-Wily Capsule
There's no way to make it interesting anymore. Something new, please!

What I REALLY want to see:

-More Super Adapters
In addition to bringing the Super Rush Adapter back, throw in some more. Super Tango Adapter.

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 06:38:53 AM
Another offensive robot master.  Oil Man wasn't racist enough.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 06:44:45 AM
What about Tomahawk Man?

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 06:49:02 AM
KKK Man

Special Weapon: Burning Cross

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 06:51:15 AM
get equipped with white power

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 06:54:53 AM
SwastikaMan!

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 06:55:43 AM
JihadMan

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 09:52:22 PM
I'd love to see a game that follows more in the footseps of Megaman 8.  By that I mean:

- That sense of charm and polish. Little details everywhere, Robot Masters having their own personalities, creative stages.
- Special weapons having a larger role in mobility and stage manipulation.  Still keep them powerful too, like in 8.  They should all have a different purpose, but at the same time none of them suck.  Even Water Balloons could dish out some hurt, which was nice.
- Rush feeling more like he's part of the team and less like a support item.  I wouldn't mind another Rush Jet segment.
- I liked how MM8's boss weakness system felt 'smarter'.  If you hit a boss during a certain frame of animation, they'd get temporarily stunned and you could nail them with a charge shot.

Some other features that MM11 could have:

- Playable Blues, preferably how he was done in MM10.  Make him more powerful than Megaman, but keep the shield and him taking extra damage.  I like the high-risk, high-reward style that he brings to the table.
- Megaman keeps his charge shot and slide.
- Let's ditch the teleporting hatches in the final stage and do the boss re-fights MM1/MMX1 style.
- Ditto to everyone saying that Wily Capsules need to go.

Maybe an emphasis on stages that are really fun to play?  MM8's snowboarding level would be a good example if they didn't make the difficulty so high.

I don't see why people say that MM8's snowboarding sections are hard.  They're completely fair in that you get a clear warning as to when you need to jump and slide.  No cheap difficulty or anything, just pure reactions on your part.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 10:31:02 PM
- Playable Blues, preferably how he was done in MM10.  Make him more powerful than Megaman, but keep the shield and him taking damage.  I like the high-risk, high-reward style that he brings to the table.

I like the way you think!!!

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 10:42:51 PM
I kind of want a playable MMPU styled Roll.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 02:05:07 AM
No 8 bit

PB pretty much said what needs to be said on that matter quite nicely.

No more MM2 wanking. Its nice that everyone likes 2. That doesn't mean you have to keep trying to match it with the no slide/charge and blatant asset reuse from 9. (basically, see PB's no 8 bit point, they have to show they are trying. Not pandering needlessly to a specific game in the franchise.)

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 03:00:26 AM
Hmm... Okay, I'll throw my hat in.

What I want to see:

No 8-Bit. Nuff Said.
Collectibles in the stages, whether it be bolts or power-ups. Hell put E-Tanks back into the stages too (I think MM10 already did this but I recall 9 not having ANY in stages.)
Something more in line with MM8 in terms of graphics.

What I don't want to see:

Wily Capsules. Yeah I'm in the group that wants to see a final boss more like Gamma or something instead.
A shop like MM8's, I thought the concept of only having a limited amount of bolts/limited amount of item slots was novel and all, but I'd like to be able to buy everything if possible.
A shop like MM9's, Lets skip the worthless items like Costume and Hairstyle Booklet. Or make them unlockables, I don't care. That being said if Hairstyle Booklet did come back I'd like to see it be an item that you can switch on and off instead of somehow losing the ability to not wear your helmet when you die.
Personally, I don't want Achivements to come back, at least not ones like Mr. Perfect or Bust a Move. But this is something that is apparently unavoidable, that being said it'll probably be on the Wii U if it does come out so that won't have stupid achievements.

What I would love to see:

Playable Protoman and Bass, and maybe Roll. No need for millions of costumes like MMPU (Speaking of which that totally needs a PSN release.) but having the ability to play as roll would be nice.

Offline Mr. Haxwell

• Totally hax
  • Master's Unit
  • The guy feeding off on your hate
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 11:41:01 AM
What I want out:

Wily Capsule. Recycling that idea is no longer an option.

8-bit graphics. It's time to get rid of the old, and in with the new.

Limited bolts, like in MM8. It's not nice to be unable to create every item in the game.

An easy mode. Seriously, the game needs to be a challenge, not a cake-walk.

Password system. This feature is boring. get rid of it.

What I want in:

Tango and Reggae. These two need more love, for once.

Playable Protoman/Blues, Bass/Forte, and if possible Roll, with her PU gameplay.

More female robot masters/characters. And if possible bring back Kalinka and Plum.

Not sure if this is necessary, but bring back the ability to swim, like in MM8. I'm disappointed that this idea was scrapped after the events of MM8.

Bring back Megaman's charge shot and slide.

Protoman's ability to deflect shots, should not be limited to his jump. Make it that he can block while on the ground.

Fear me.

Offline MacDaddyMike

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 01:47:30 PM
What I want out:
An easy mode. Seriously, the game needs to be a challenge, not a cake-walk.

Easy Mode was a hit and is about the only thing actually attracting new players to a series that is already known for being fairly difficult to grasp.  If you don't need it, don't use it, but it would be a huge mistake to remove it and alienate new players that would otherwise not give the game a chance.

At least ten of my friends would have never even touched MM10 if it weren't for Easy Mode.

Mega Man Unlimited - Playthrough, Review and Criticism
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxNyTfF87xMRmb6jqKKTAmOrElKZkv3om

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 02:13:10 PM
Password system. This feature is boring. get rid of it.

Funny considering how everything MM8 on has had save games and none of these "boring" passwords.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 05:19:46 PM
I actually don't think they need to get rid of the 8-bit style they have going on.  But I do think they need to push it a bit further.  The initial idea of a slavish NES recreation for 9 was great for nostalgia, but how about pushing what the wii can do while still using 8-bit graphics?  Might be an interesting approach.

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 08:11:39 PM
I actually don't think they need to get rid of the 8-bit style they have going on.  But I do think they need to push it a bit further.  The initial idea of a slavish NES recreation for 9 was great for nostalgia, but how about pushing what the wii can do while still using 8-bit graphics?  Might be an interesting approach.

I'm definitely in the 'Quit with the 8-bit" camp.  I just think that it's so centralizing to lock Megaman as an 8-bit NES character for the rest of his life, despite the strides that MM7 and MM8 made to develop the classic series' visuals and gameplay.  We haven't had a single console Megaman game this generation that wasn't 8-bit, and it's really dumb.  MM9 was a cute gimmick, but the series needs to start putting out effort again as far as visuals go.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 08:48:03 PM
I'm not sure 7 and 8 worked out for Capcom.  8 especially was very cartoony and seemed to lock the series into a 'made for kids" box.    I liked the overall style of Megaman Universe though, and am disappointed to see that it never went anywhere. 

But it'd be nice if they TRIED something new.  You know, without necessitating the creation of another all-new MM just for the sake of an art and gameplay change.  We don't need 5 different Marios, so why did we have to get so many different Megamen?  Diluting the brand did not help the franchise (even though all the series have their good points).  Well, I digress ...

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 10:06:18 PM
I'm not sure 7 and 8 worked out for Capcom.  8 especially was very cartoony and seemed to lock the series into a 'made for kids" box. 
You're implying it wasn't "made for kids"...

Even the Zero series was seen as for kids in Japan, which is why they took out Copy X. to not crush "kids" dreams by making their Hero, Megaman X, a villain.

One of Inafune's own thoughts on MM8 was that by making it on the PS1, they locked many kids out of playing it because they could not simply ask their parents for a new console, which is why they went back to the SNES with MM&Bass, while trying to retain as much of the MM8 visual style as possible.

Only with 9 and 10 were they really thinking about the "fans" which are now all grown up. But Classic in particular has always been a more kid oriented series.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 10:17:50 PM
I don't want a Mega Man 11.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 10:26:53 PM
I'd honestly prefer X9 myself.

NOT SNES styled, mind you.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: August 23, 2013, 10:41:30 PM
NOT SNES styled, mind you.

Gameboy styled, yo!