A Rather Interesting 1UP Interview with Yoshiki Okamoto [Game Republic]

Jericho · 2301

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Normally, I don't share random news like this with the community because I'm not heavily vested in it, but just reading some of this, one would get the idea that it belongs in off topic. As the thread title states, 1up recently interviewed Mr. Okamoto to find out "what's good with Game Republic". Hilarity ensues however when he gives details about his personal life, as well as a few other things.

Honestly, the words to describe this all fail me. If you all want to see what I'm rambling on about, click here. There's also notes about Game Republic's current affairs as well.

Finally, just to leave you all with a funny tidbit:

1UP: The president of Dimps [Takashi Nishiyama] lives in the same apartment complex as you. Do you guys ever talk? And who else from the industry do you hang out with?

YO: He actually lives in the same building, on the same floor, right next door to me. Mr. Nishiyama used to work at Capcom as well, so we bonded over the hard work we shared there, and we've been good friends ever since. Both of us had long stretches where we weren't in a relationship, but he would always be sharing a room with some guy. Not me, I mean we were friends. Just friends. I'm pretty sure Mr. Nishiyama is bisexual. But I'm straight. I only like girls, but he likes both. Mr. Nishiyama taught me how to turn my ideas into game design documents, but he didn't teach me about men.

1UP: That's interesting, because I don't know who said it, but a long time ago, at least six or seven years ago, and it might've been from either the editorial side or the development side, but someone told me that you were gay.

YO: [Speaking English] No way! I'm straight! [In Japanese] I think it's just a misunderstanding. I might've said I was working on the "GameBoy," and they heard "Gay Boy." [Laughs]

1UP: That's...interesting. I don't remember who told me that. I mean, it doesn't matter, but somebody mentioned it, and I was like, "Really?" Because every time I saw you at a Capcom Gamer's Day in Las Vegas, you were surrounded by hot Capcom girls.

YO: [Puts on deadpan face] I have to keep up the impression of being an unpopular guy in my office, so you can't talk about me surrounded by hot girls.

[Okamoto to the Game Republic PR lady] The other weekend, we had to go out and rate some videos for work. That was kind of like a date between us, right?

Game Republic PR lady: No. That was work.

Discuss. XD

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Well, that was a very nice insight into the sexuality of Mr. Nishiyama... XD

And that was a pretty interesting read...
I feel a bit enlightened. XD

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
*Insert comment about Japanese women's power levels here* XD

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
That was...amusing XD

Things learned:
-JP women have power levels over 9000.
-Game developers are bisexual.
-Women can seriously pwn men with only 4 words.
-Other things that didn't stand out that much to me.

Good stuff XD

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
In Japan, we say that kids have seven pockets to pull money from, their parents and both sets of grandparents.
That's a pretty good saying.
I think I'll steal it.
YO: Actually, we're working on a Tom and Jerry movie/game tie-in
wat
YO: No, no, it was a Porsche. One of my employees crashed it. But other people have lots of accidents in my cars. My mom crashed a 2002 BMW GTR I used to drive. Now I'm riding a Joker scooter, a Monkey scooter from Monkey, a Rich mountain bike, an Esteema station wagon, and a BMW 750. I used to have a girlfriend that I was riding too. But I went out to the parking lot to get her the other day and she wasn't there anymore.

YO: We had a competition where we had people submit entries to create new, original character game designs, all amateur. And there are all types, from boring entries to incredibly boring entries.
:(

Archer

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
You'd think that them living in the same apartment almost would be a dead give away. :P