What would improve Rockman X7.

Irregular Ass-R-Us · 6056

Offline Irregular Ass-R-Us

• Dedicated Pompous Gimpy Douchebag With A Burning Passion! (◥▶◀◤).
  • Robot Master
  • Ultra Super Godly Royal [Top Spin]. (◥▶◀◤)
    • View Profile
on: August 16, 2013, 12:10:55 AM
Hi guys its me as usual. I played Rockman X7 yesterday and thought to myself:`What would make Rockman X7 a lot better?`. So i decided to discuss it with you guys because i like discussing with you guys. So if you were to change Rockman X7, what would you change.

I would Change:
*The frame rate.
*The graphics a little bit.
*The 3D sections. They needed a lot of fixing especially the wall jump and do the transitions a bit better.
*Dual Voice acting. I hate the English voices for X7 .  The Japanese voices were excellent for X7
*Maybe the story a little bit.
*Make X THE MAIN CHARACTER, i cannot believe how they got that wrong.
*Make the boss battles a little more exciting and less annoying ( Burn, Burn, Burn to the Ground !)
*Improve Axl`s gameplay and include his story ( Especially his past)
*Make X less overpowered.
*Better design. I didn't like the enemies , they looked bland to me.
*Make A-trans useful.
*Maybe a 3D and 2D switch.

Thats what i would change. What about you guys, i would like to hear your opinions.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 12:13:26 AM
Make it so that when you switch to X he doesn't have a whiny line like I HAVE NO CHOICE

it's like, just shut up and save the world.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 12:37:58 AM
If you ask me, they should have went with the 2.5D approach like in X8, stick to 2D fundamentals and much less 3D segments, or at the very least, make the 3D segments actually fun. The PC version really needs to made from the ground for PCs too.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 03:29:30 AM
The game does need to commit to either 2D or 3D, and rethink its mechanics and weapons to whichever mode it chooses, that much is for certain.  And it's ESPECIALLY true of Zero's attacks, many of which wind up paper-thin when used in the "wrong" gameplay mode.

I'd actually like to see X7 go the full 3D route.  Not only because 3D X is intriguing and all, but because the only 2D segment in the entire game worth a damn is Stonekong's level.

Movement speed should be faster.

Axl needs some unique special weapons.  The reason you have to "unlock" X (which is unavoidable and carries over into New Game Plus, BTW, so I don't know why everyone bitches about it so much) is because he basically renders Axl obsolete, unless you're a fan of the G-Launcher.  That being said, since X is guaranteed part of the crew by the time you face Red, there's no real reason for the post-battle cutscene to exclude him.  Altering the in-between-Mavericks scenes to differentiate between whether or not X has joined you would help a lot too.  As it stands, X7 is Axl's and Zero's game, but it's more the dialogue than it is the gameplay that establishes such.

*Make X THE MAIN CHARACTER, i cannot believe how they got that wrong.
*Make X less overpowered.

Am I the only one who thinks that a likeable character being wonderfully overpowered is a GOOD thing?

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 03:38:32 AM
How about making Axl less useless when you play as X, and I think the entire game in general needs to be faster.  Those cut scenes were so slow from what I remember which doesn't help with the terrible load times the game had.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 03:41:03 AM
How about making Axl less useless when you play as X, and I think the entire game in general needs to be faster those cut scenes were so slow from what I remember which doesn't help with the terrible load times the game had.

Copy shot could stand to have been less worthless.

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 01:23:47 PM
I agree with Hyper shell on it being full 3D. It would've been cool and interesting to see a 2D platformer in 3D. Maybe add more exploration to make you feel more like a Irregular Hunter.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 01:39:12 PM
Fix the dashing triangular kick.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 11:42:08 PM
Fix the dashing triangular kick.
Long as we're talking about 3D mode tweaks, wall-kicking should stay as close to the wall as possible, not unlike what MMZ did.  I can't imagine any way that the more traditional "arc" and direction changes of the SNES/PS1 movement could possibly not feel awkward in 3D.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 02:16:27 AM
Swap Flame Hyenard but keep his boss fight level because it was kind of nice.

Offline Sigma Zero X

• Cool Mirage Diver
  • Robot Master
  • "Here We Go!"
    • View Profile
    • Sigma Zero X's Mega Man X Videos
Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 08:51:28 PM
As a person who likes Mega Man X7, I'll admit that there are improvements.  Some include the following:

- Fixing the lock-on system

The Mega Man Legends games did this well in both Legends games and The Misadventures of Tron Bonne.  Despite this track record, X7 got the lock-on system wrong because the characters doesn't seem to lock on to the nearest enemy when I want them too.  Some cases include the battles against Wing Crowrang and Sigma (first form.)

- The conditions for unlocking X

Making X unlockable was a way to have players get used to Axl.  That I can understand.  But the current conditions are too much.  The conditions to unlock X should have been to save 16 reploids or beat 2 bosses.

- Some of the boss battles

The battle against Red was fun and helped me improved as a Mega Man X7 player.  I even beat Red on the hardest setting with all of the playable characters in solo attempts (I already have videos of the victorious battles in my YouTube channel.) 

I do have a problem with some of the other boss battles though.  The player should have been able to access the lower part of the Cylinder during Snipe Anteater's boss battle.  There should be ways to change the camera angle in the Ride Boarski battle because the overhead camera does not go well with me here.  And of course the lock-on problems with the Wing Crowrang and Sigma battles, especially when they are farther in the background. 

"Well.  This is just delightful!" - Marino, from Mega Man X Command Mission

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 09:14:08 PM
Glad to know people like X7  ;) i didn't like it as much but i think if it was improved it would have revolutionized the Rockman X series.

Offline Cherrykorock

• Dr Light's other creation
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Zero can divide by Zero.
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 10:51:42 PM
First off the bat, the enviornments.
Not only are they bland they barely exist!
The best examples being ride boarski and the palace road.
There is literally nothing besides the road and poop brown for the palace road and the other level has a building here and there but it just looks awful!
Almost every level had this same issue.
Its not just lazy its ridiculously lazy!

How about some facial animation?
This is worse than Thomas the god damned Train!
At least Thomas' eyes moved around for goodness sake!
It is beyond awkward to watch unmoving faces talk.
I mean all of the graphics look amazing for 2003.
Especially the cel shading looked nice.

The story was nice.
The way they handled Axl and fitting him into the game worked well too.
I really enjoyed all the beautiful cut scene art and that there was a lot of it.
No reason for X not to be in most of them though.

X should just be playable from the start and Axl should have been an aerial rapid fire chacter kind of how he plays in X8.
Also the whole charging the copy shot was [tornado fang]'d up.
It barely did any damage and its only point was to rescue reploids.
Thats lame.
He should be able to mimic bosses like he did in Command Mission as well as get his own guns.

General gameplay is where the game falls flat.
The 2D sections are way to easy and the 3D ones were mostly boring.
First off the lock on should should have two modes.
An automatic mode ala Metroid Other M and button to press or hold that acts similar to Legends.
In the 3D modes the characters need to be faster and the camera needs better use.
The few times you are allowed to move it its near helpless.
By the time youve swiveled it around to look at your target you have to adjust the view again.
Hence why i suggest the Legends style lock.

Zero, while already being the only fun character to play as, should have played a little more like Dante.
The way they programmed Zero makes him seem sluggish whereas the psx series did the opposite.

X pretty much acts as he should but he needs a side dash badly.

All the levels need a serious overhaul in design and style.
Everything about them is pretty bad.
Except the last part of Gunaroo's stage where you have to keep fighting a bunch of ride armors.
That was actually fun.

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 11:01:19 PM
I agree with the environments, they did make me yawn because of how bland they were. I also did not like the non animated faces,
I disagree with Zero having a play style like Dante. It doesn't fit Zero and would make him broken. But that's what i think really.

Basically the stages need a drastic redesign and be more eye catching and I agree with X being unlock able at the start since he is the main character.

Offline Cherrykorock

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: August 17, 2013, 11:17:58 PM
In the 2D games Zero has no issue getting right up in the enemies face then taking them down quickly
In this game trying to get close the the enemy as Zero and fight is a pain
He moves to slowly and awkwardly to let the player feel comfortable.
Say there is an enemy that likes to move a lot, you have to dash and hope they dont move towards you at the same time.
Then you have to make sure that youre still facing them.
By this time theyve either moved or knocked Zero flat on his ass.
Devil May Cry didnt have these issues.
Also the swordplay was fun and combos felt satisfying with all the different moves you can perform.
By default Dante feels well equipped to defend himself reliably and return attacks almost seamlessly.
Not only that but you could upgrade his skills and equipment to suit your play style.
In X7 Zero has few moves of any real usefulness and outside of then you just keep pressing square until they die or move away.
It is boring and lazy.
If Zero stayed locked on to the enemy that you were fighting it wouldnt be half as bad.
Now im not saying Zero needs to play exaxtly as Dante does.
Just that Capcom clearly already knew how to make an interesting 3D melee combat system.
They could have used some of the ideas that worked so well and re implemented them to fit Zero's character and style.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: August 17, 2013, 11:50:06 PM
Knocking characters down should've been cut entirely.

This is something only X7 has and its terrible. I don't need my character to take a nap because they got smacked by some [dark hold] while jumping and because of that the Reploid I tried to save flattens himself out of existance. Every [tornado fang]ing time.

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 12:03:32 AM
In the 2D games Zero has no issue getting right up in the enemies face then taking them down quickly
In this game trying to get close the the enemy as Zero and fight is a pain
He moves to slowly and awkwardly to let the player feel comfortable.
Say there is an enemy that likes to move a lot, you have to dash and hope they dont move towards you at the same time.
Then you have to make sure that youre still facing them.
By this time theyve either moved or knocked Zero flat on his ass.
Devil May Cry didnt have these issues.
Also the swordplay was fun and combos felt satisfying with all the different moves you can perform.
By default Dante feels well equipped to defend himself reliably and return attacks almost seamlessly.
Not only that but you could upgrade his skills and equipment to suit your play style.
In X7 Zero has few moves of any real usefulness and outside of then you just keep pressing square until they die or move away.
It is boring and lazy.
If Zero stayed locked on to the enemy that you were fighting it wouldnt be half as bad.
Now im not saying Zero needs to play exaxtly as Dante does.
Just that Capcom clearly already knew how to make an interesting 3D melee combat system.
They could have used some of the ideas that worked so well and re implemented them to fit Zero's character and style.

Ah so that's what you meant. Sorry i kind of got the wrong idea about it since i imagined Zero doing a 999-hit combo and him being to powerful. But other than that, it actually sounds like a pretty cool idea which would fit perfectly with Zero.

Knocking characters down should've been cut entirely.

This is something only X7 has and its terrible. I don't need my character to take a nap because they got smacked by some [dark hold] while jumping and because of that the Reploid I tried to save flattens himself out of existance. Every [tornado fang]ing time.

Agreed, that was one of the most annoying things. Especially when you fall to your doom in Flame Hyenards Stage.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 12:14:06 AM
Honestly... IMO, there are too many flaws. The engine itself is so rough and sloppy. I think before creating anything related to level design and weapons, they should have focused on the physics and hit detection. Even menus are a pain in X7. Quit to stage select? Are you sure? Really really sure? Can I interest you in an argument as to why you may not be sure?

Also, everything that was okay in X7 carried over to X8, and done better. The tag team is more fleshed out (you can actually die and not lose both characters...), Axl is a lot more useful and controls better, and the new game+ is an amazing experience with all the extras.

Offline Cherrykorock

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 12:34:27 AM
Honestly... IMO, there are too many flaws. The engine itself is so rough and sloppy. I think before creating anything related to level design and weapons, they should have focused on the physics and hit detection. Even menus are a pain in X7. Quit to stage select? Are you sure? Really really sure? Can I interest you in an argument as to why you may not be sure?

Also, everything that was okay in X7 carried over to X8, and done better. The tag team is more fleshed out (you can actually die and not lose both characters...), Axl is a lot more useful and controls better, and the new game+ is an amazing experience with all the extras.
I half agree with this.
As much as I love X8, it has just as many faults as X7.
Just in different areas.
Voice acting and 2d platforming are the only real improvements to the overall game.
The weapons were at least a little more thought out in X8 and Axl overall was much more interesting to play as.
Zero more or less gets the same moves he always has.
At least they fixed his jumping slash, at the cost of being able to dash.
Seriously, why does he need a special armor to dash?
Why cant they duck anymore for that matter?

The levels themselves were mostly tedious at best.
2 auto scroll levels, 2 bike levels (at least yeti's was fun-ish), a level full of mini levels, an annoying wannabe sneaky level and a stage where it's mostly piloting a ride armor.
Only Primrose let you play at your own pace, as your characters, and truly felt like you're playing Megaman X and not some mini game.

The graphics are terrible.
Everything is an eye sore to me.
The new designs were okay but everything looked so half assed and low poly.
When i first saw a preview screen i thought, "god that looks awful, at least it will look better when its finished!".
Nope, its just unpleasant to look at.
Now it doesnt have to be the best looking game in the world but come on.
There is a limit man.

The music was kinda cool and had an awesome hard rock style.
Probably the only reason I like it honestly.

They just tried to play it safe with X8.
Instead of refining what had worked and didnt with X7 they took the easy and lazy path.
I like X8 more than most of the X games for reasons i dont understand but it has its own issues.

Like X7 i find it flawed but enjoyable.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 12:50:59 AM
Yeah, X8 has its share of flaws, don't get me wrong. It's simply the game that comes to mind when I think about X7 improvements (which isn't too difficult anyway).

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: August 18, 2013, 01:13:24 AM
True indeed. X8 should have been a better version of X7 with new features.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: August 18, 2013, 07:07:55 AM
I didn't play enough to give a [tornado fang], but could cutscenes be skipped &/or sped up?

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: August 18, 2013, 08:41:08 AM
Which game? X8 or X7. In X8 you can pretty much skip them. I don't think you can on X7.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: August 18, 2013, 08:43:49 AM
X7. I don't think you can either, but I've never played that one all the way through cause I hated it with a stubborn passion.

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: August 18, 2013, 09:03:58 AM
I can agree with you. It was different but in a bad way. A lot of painful memories come from X7.