My thoughts so far on megaman 9.

kuja killer · 6646

Offline kuja killer

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
on: December 25, 2008, 11:24:32 PM
Just finished downloading about an hour ago or so, and tried it out. :) I didn't read the whole beginning opening intro completely, cause was looking more at the cutscenes and listening to music rather than focusing on the conversation between wily and light, but i'll have to read it again. :)

I've only tried out 3 stages so far by closing my eyes and picking something random. Jewel, Concrete, and Galaxy a few minutes ago. And i'm defintely liking it. I'm not actually playing to the best of my ability yet, so i've gotten probably 6 game overs already hehe. :P But some of these new enemies are pretty awesome. I died on the big blue elephant once, and then i was surprised when i beat the first one, another but the balls were jumping up and down, crazy stuff.

And what was with the mid-boss battle in jewel man with the falling rocks? It seriously looked like the head of gutsman on one of them, was it him ? :P That's as far as i got on jewel so far.

And galaxy was pretty cool too, mainly those things that would attach to megaman's head and drag you across the screen super fast trying to run you into the spike pits, i did actually end up falling in one once. But it reminds me of the X games where there were some types of enemies just like that, latching on to you.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I do have 1 complaint only right now. :( I do not know if it's just my TV or the 360 ..but i can barly even hear the sound effects over the music during gameplay. I could not find any type of volume options anywhere ...is there seriously no volume/sound effect options anywhere that im not aware of? ..would like sound turned up, but volume down a bit. :(
-----------------------------------------------------------
Vixy - I looked at the top 10 clear leaderboards, and some of the other things, and could not find "vixy" on any lists. :( I never clicked the thread saying "vixy's attempt to get top 10 clear ranking in rockman 9" cause i do "not" want any spoilers. But i thought about you, cause i thought i would find you on one of the lists, but no. :(

Or are these leaderboards only specific to 360 players, and not wii/ps3 ??

I'm sorry for the very long post.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 11:28:36 PM
Leaderboards are exclusive for each system. I think the 360 even shows a bigger list. EDIT: Or is it the PS3?

I don't think there's an SFX volume option, though I never had any issues like that. Sound is absolutely flawless in my copy, but I have the Wii version.

And wow, do I admire the fact that you spent this whole time without MM9 spoilers. I would have gone nuts. X(

Offline kuja killer

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 11:30:18 PM
Leaderboards are exclusive for each system. I think the 360 even shows a bigger list.

So do you mean, wii's boards are for wii only, 360 is for 360 only? ..so i'll never see people's stuff from wii or ps3? .. ONLY 360 ??

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 11:31:02 PM
Pretty much, yeah.

Offline kuja killer

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 11:34:21 PM
Aww darn okay that's a bummer.

Also guess those rumors were true about it having songs from MM2 specifically. Like that stupid annoying 3-second password/intro screen thing that's so damn annoying if you listened to it nonstop for a couple minutes. I always mute the TV when i hear that, but the new mm9 songs are cool though, likeing them

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 03:01:56 AM
Vixy isn't even on the Wii leaderboard anymore. for how long that'll last, who knows?

the sound issue might be a 360 thing, but my hunch is that its your TV.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline pyromonki12

• Net Navi
  • Just Jump On It!
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 04:44:12 AM
Aww darn okay that's a bummer.

Also guess those rumors were true about it having songs from MM2 specifically. Like that stupid annoying 3-second password/intro screen thing that's so damn annoying if you listened to it nonstop for a couple minutes. I always mute the TV when i hear that, but the new mm9 songs are cool though, likeing them

They also used that music for the DLC menu. It's like jabbing your face with a knife.  >_<

Offline Night

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 06:10:44 AM
And wow, do I admire the fact that you spent this whole time without MM9 spoilers. I would have gone nuts. X(

**** WAS BEHIND IT ALL A LONG!

Offline Thanatos-Zero

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 06:27:19 AM
**** WAS BEHIND IT ALL A LONG!

What Wily was behind all of this? I thought ****2  was this time the man who was pulling the strings.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 12:40:04 PM

I've also gotten the game as of yesterday, and I consider it particularly bad that upon booting up the game for the first time, I already knew the entire weakness chain by heart. At least I feel comfortable with the game....

I must say, maybe it's the fact that I've seen speedruns of this game, but MM9's so called OMG WTF INTI HARD DIFFICULTY is overrated. The actual NES games, 1 and 2 not included, seem to deliver far more punishment when it comes to the actual stage enemies' attacks. What kills me mostly is the traps, but still not as much as some people would make me believe. Take for example the Bunby Catcher, they give you fair warnings beforehand that you'll be encountering them.

Thusfar, though I haven't tackled the fortress yet, the only thing that strikes me as a bit unfair is some annoying checkpoints in stages, like always right after mid-bosses, or before the long tedious bubble segment. Other than that though, great game, looking forward to the alterations hero mode provides. And of course Endless and Special Stages.

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 05:35:40 PM
And galaxy was pretty cool too, mainly those things that would attach to megaman's head and drag you across the screen super fast trying to run you into the spike pits, i did actually end up falling in one once. But it reminds me of the X games where there were some types of enemies just like that, latching on to you.
They reminded me of those flying magnets from the beginning of MagnetMan's stage, except those were much gentler.  I only recently discovered that I could spawn one on the left to make it carry MegaRockMan all the way to the right, using Up and Down to dodge obstacles.

Leaderboards are exclusive for each system.
Hmm, is there any place that reports high scores for all three so we can compare?

Like that stupid annoying 3-second password/intro screen thing that's so damn annoying if you listened to it nonstop for a couple minutes.
I've never fully understood why the password songs are always the most annoying.  I mean, when you're just inputting a password, you don't even get any fun action to distract you from the music; and if there turns out to be an error in the password, you might end up listening to the song for a really long time trying to figure out where the error was.

I must say, maybe it's the fact that I've seen speedruns of this game, but MM9's so called OMG WTF INTI HARD DIFFICULTY is overrated.
I expected as much.  Maybe everyone's forgotten what the old NES games were like, or maybe most MegaRockMan players are used to sliding and charging, so it feels like a big handicap not to be able to speed-boost out of the way of a trap or launch a triple-strength first strike on an enemy.

Offline kuja killer

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008, 10:39:33 PM
the only thing that strikes me as a bit unfair is some annoying checkpoints in stages, like always right after mid-bosses, or before the long tedious bubble segment.

huh?? What do you mean by that. It's bad to get to the half way point in any stage ??

I've beaten 3 bosses so far by the way. :) Trying to go slow and take my time.
And i tried out the Time Attack mode for first time just once. Only galaxy man (1 level i beat) ..i never opened the pause menu a single time cause i dont wanna see what all the weapons look like that i haven't got yet.

And i finished with 3 minutes 54 seconds, and saw my name in 1809 th [/color]place. :)

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 01:18:46 AM
huh?? What do you mean by that. It's bad to get to the half way point in any stage ??

What I meant is that they've consistently ensured that you need to pass any mid-boss before they allow you to continue from the halfway point. All the same, they do the exact inverse when it comes to tedious and boring vertical puzzle segments involving bubbles and gravity manipulation.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 01:24:14 AM
Zan's right. They are generous enough to...

[spoiler=Final Stages]...let you start right at the toughest gravity room in case you would mess up there the first time.[/spoiler]

And yea, check points are in Splash Woman's bubble room too. It might be tedious to start on that same spot all over if you die at the room with the spikes and the moving water container platforms, but you get used to it quickly.

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline kuja killer

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 02:31:11 AM
Oh okay i think i get it. So it would have been better if say, the big fire dragon in Magma, would have come "after" getting to the half way point? Well nevermind. I don't got any prob with it. :)
I've never tried splash and plug once yet. I think i'm going to save splash to be the very last stage i try for the very first time, only after i beat 7 of the 8 levels. Because of it being the first girl boss in the classic series.

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: December 28, 2008, 02:33:40 AM
Vixy isn't even on the Wii leaderboard anymore. for how long that'll last, who knows?

the sound issue might be a 360 thing, but my hunch is that its your TV.
likewise with however long you'll stay on it, Jim.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #16 on: December 28, 2008, 02:49:44 AM

Records are broken sooner or later. I'm just happy I could get a time like that in the first place.
Whenever I actually have more free time, I can break it with another minute or so~

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: December 28, 2008, 06:58:23 AM

it all depends if there's any more drive left in the people. competition has been pretty lax as of late, with the Top 10 mostly just improving their own times and shuffling around a bit.

if i got on there when Vixy got on there, i guarantee i wouldn't be on today.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: December 28, 2008, 08:32:58 PM
Zan,

Yep, the weakness chain was one of my biggest concerns. Part of the charm in Mega Man games is figuring out the order ourselves, so I try to ignore all weapon info before release.

Unfortunately, I couldn't avoid the IGN review and them darlings made a montage with boss weaknesses in the middle of the video. I remember closing the window immediately as I saw the first one.

It was my fault for spoling myself, but still... dude, it's like half of the game there... X(

Offline kuja killer

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 09:27:53 AM
Well i beat the game earlier today. After my 3rd attempt at the wily castle.
Just in case people haven't, i'll just put my remaining thoughts in a spoiler tag thing to be safe, cause i have a question or two if i may.

[spoiler]
Well first of all, i defintely loved the wily levels. Like that awesome boss fight with a giant ship having 3 seperate battles. I feel in love. :P Never seen something like that ever done in a mm game.

The gravity thing in the 3rd wily level. :) Man i died so many times in that area, the one with the spikes all over the screen, specifically the screen that had an M-Tank sitting on them. And then i was totally surprised that there were 3 extra lives after that, but they were metools in deguise. Pretty clever of capcom to surprise people with a quirk like that hehe. :P

Well my question is, with the dr light robot in that jail cell being a total fake that protoman tried to warn MM about ...then where was the REAL dr light then ??  :\ Did he even get put in jail at all ?? That kinda has me confused.

And what about how there was a outline of Bass on the screen during the scene? That had me going like "woa, is bass going to appear??" but nope.
[/spoiler]

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 09:40:20 AM
[spoiler]And what about how there was a outline of Bass on the screen during the scene? That had me going like "woa, is bass going to appear??" but nope.
[/spoiler]

I could always post that angry fan complaining about that very scene that then gets his ass kicked by Ryu pic again, but only if anyone really wants something to laugh at.  :\

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009, 03:33:13 PM
Did he even get put in jail at all ?? That kinda has me confused.

He was really put in jail. The ending even notes he was found innocent of all wrongdoings and allowed to return to his laboratory.

And what about how there was a outline of Bass on the screen during the scene? That had me going like "woa, is bass going to appear??" but nope.

Bass was undergoing adjustments by Wily at that time, hence his absence, hence the outline.

Offline ParasiteBirth

• Useless Dweeb
  • A-Class Hunter
  • Some random dweeb
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
Reply #22 on: January 03, 2009, 04:44:26 AM
Bass wasn't really needed in Megaman 9 anyway, even if he was present in the game, it wouldn't have changed much, all we needed was Protoman, and besides, Bass can appear in Megaman 10 ( god knoes if there's gonna be one )

I would have liked Bass in Megaman 9, but I can hardly see how he could have been given a ( Big Role ) Like in Megaman  7 and 8. but I would really love seeing him in Megaman 10, where he could have a big role and his own spot light.

Check my YouTube Channel for Challenges, Speed Run videos and more!

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: January 03, 2009, 02:32:36 PM
Part of me things Bass in 9 was mandatory due to him being shafted from the previous 2 releases, but another part of me thinks it's for the best that Bass didn't get trashed by a Rockman without charge shots and slide.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: January 04, 2009, 04:02:40 AM
Yeah... Though I gotta wonder about what happened to Bass when the fortress began to collapse. if the adjustments required the length of a whole game, (how much time supposedly passes from the beggining of 9 to the end anyway?) then I Doubt Wily could just say, "Up an at 'em Bassy boy! time to get movin'!"

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.