Pokemon Generation VI: X/Y & Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire

Guest · 762818

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1575 on: October 06, 2013, 08:52:11 PM
Well supposedly this game is going to teach all about that.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #1576 on: October 06, 2013, 08:53:04 PM
Probably I guess.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #1577 on: October 06, 2013, 09:04:57 PM
I'll figure it out.  I have Bulbapedia if I get stuck.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1578 on: October 06, 2013, 09:10:11 PM
Just make sure you're familiar with most of the current 649 Pokemon in the past.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #1579 on: October 06, 2013, 09:11:20 PM
Working on it with random page editing.  If I come across something I'm not familiar with, I'll look it up.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #1580 on: October 07, 2013, 05:12:22 AM
Oh yeah Quickie needs to get used to the new Special Physical split, Natures, Abilities and all that crap.
Should Quickie start with Diamond or Pearl for that?

Yeah, definitely getting Honedge when I can. I've actually liked its forms throughout the evolution line.

And since I always nickname my Pokemon, I need to find a good name for it.
"Geistiletto"? = Geist (German for "spirit") + Stiletto (a short dagger; easily mistaken for the type of high-heeled shoes though)

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1581 on: October 07, 2013, 05:15:16 AM
No she should avoid Diamond and Pearl like the plague, probably better if she starts with Heart Gold and then Black 2 or White 2 if she doesn't care about story.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #1582 on: October 07, 2013, 05:23:52 AM
I'm curious.

Why avoid Diamond and Pearl like the plague?

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Reply #1583 on: October 07, 2013, 05:24:11 AM
No she should avoid Diamond and Pearl like the plague, probably better if she starts with Heart Gold and then Black 2 or White 2 if she doesn't care about story.

What about Platinum version? Granted I lost that version of my because my brother and I got the same one and I had the best team on there until my brother, I think, misplaced it.

But playing B/W2 it's hard going back to it.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Pyro

• Wielder of the Chaos Force
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #1584 on: October 07, 2013, 05:27:20 AM

I would say she should start HGSS if Gen 2 games were the last one she played. That and it was awesome to have your lead Pokemon follow you on the overworld. Thanks for removing that in Gen 5, Game Freak. -_-

Come and read some Thoughts of a Platypus

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1585 on: October 07, 2013, 05:33:13 AM
I'm curious.

Why avoid Diamond and Pearl like the plague?
It's not that I hate it it's just I have my annoyances with it, particularly with the Snow Routes, and the Great Marsh and similar routes that impeded movement.  I didn't mind the Tall Grass in Gen 3 since it only slowed you down since you couldn't use your bike, in some places you can bypass it, and it was a short part of the game.  Snow and the Great Marsh like areas not only slow you down, but it impedes you since you sink in it making you waste time getting out of it and it's in a good portion of the game, at least 2 towns worth plus the outer routes of Mount Coronet

Don't get me wrong I like Diamond and Pearl and Sinnoh in general despite that, but Heart Gold and Soul Silver are the superior games of Gen 4 and I think Quickie would like it better since she's more familiar with it.

What about Platinum version? Granted I lost that version of my because my brother and I got the same one and I had the best team on there until my brother, I think, misplaced it.

But playing B/W2 it's hard going back to it.
If you really want to play Sinnoh that is the definitive version, especially since it got rid of that obnoxious saving bug.

I would say she should start HGSS if Gen 2 games were the last one she played. That and it was awesome to have your lead Pokemon follow you on the overworld. Thanks for removing that in Gen 5, Game Freak. -_-
Agreed with that.

Offline megaman24681012

• Toa of Ice
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Shoulda chose a better name.
    • View Profile
Reply #1586 on: October 07, 2013, 05:35:17 AM
The easiest complaint is over extensive use of HMs. The better argument is that the entire game depends too much on odd gimmicks, such as the double team sections. The best complaint is that I felt the game lacked the aesthetic that would give Pokemon games their charm (Johto's Japanese influences, Hoenn's tropical motifs, Unova's Western inspirations, etc.) and the story is surprisingly underwhelming considering the material at hand. But I personally have the most problem with how oddly simple the game is when you consider the jump from 3rd to 4th gen was one of the biggest since 1st to 2nd. The best parts of the game are allusions to the 3rd gen games and at worst it DRAAAAAAGS.

Overall, the D/P/PT games suffer a bizzare uncanny valley when compared/contrasted to the other games. A big enough change from the past games to qualify Sinnoh as a fleshed out region, but not enough to be interesting or worth it to play. Also, WTF TOO MANY LEGENDARIES.

Kopaka: "That leaves you and I, Tahu Nuva."
Tahu: "No. That leaves only me."

Offline Sapphire Knight

• Coffee-Powered
  • Master's Unit
  • Short for Sapphire Knight
    • View Profile
    • Sapph's DA
Reply #1587 on: October 07, 2013, 05:37:10 AM
Okay, a little off-topic here, but would there be an RPM pokemon tournament at some point after Gen 6 comes out? Just curious, is all. o3o

My thread of Random Crap

Who loves Grape Soda? Sapph loves Grape Soda! Is it true? Is it true? Ohyesohyesohyes it's true-oo~ I do I do I do I do-oo~

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1588 on: October 07, 2013, 05:38:03 AM
Yeah there's the extensive use of HM's in that game that's kind of annoying too, and there is a lot of necessary backtracking for plot progress that doesn't accomplish much.

Okay, a little off-topic here, but would there be an RPM pokemon tournament at some point after Gen 6 comes out? Just curious, is all. o3o
Yes, Quickie just needs to figure out the dice system to use for it.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #1589 on: October 07, 2013, 05:38:41 AM
It's not that I hate it it's just I have my annoyances with it, particularly with the Snow Routes, and the Great Marsh and similar routes that impeded movement.  I didn't mind the Tall Grass in Gen 3 since it only slowed you down since you couldn't use your bike, in some places you can bypass it, and it was a short part of the game.  Snow and the Great Marsh like areas not only slow you down, but it impedes you since you sink in it making you waste time getting out of it and it's in a good portion of the game, at least 2 towns worth plus the outer routes of Mount Coronet

Don't get me wrong I like Diamond and Pearl and Sinnoh in general despite that, but Heart Gold and Soul Silver are the superior games of Gen 4 and I think Quickie would like it better since she's more familiar with it.

Ahh... I kinda agree with the snow... Especially the blizzard routes which really block your line of vision.
Although I had some fun in the mud and Marsh. You can play in the mud, and not get dirty at all! 8D

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1590 on: October 07, 2013, 05:40:17 AM
It's also the fact that it covers the entire Safari Zone, that really sucks when you have limited steps though I don't think it really affected that did it?

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #1591 on: October 07, 2013, 05:43:08 AM
It's also the fact that it covers the entire Safari Zone, that really sucks when you have limited steps though I don't think it really affected that did it?
If you get stuck in the mud, just spin in place. You can still encounter Pokemon. :P

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1592 on: October 07, 2013, 05:44:52 AM
Yeah that's what I thought. 

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #1593 on: October 07, 2013, 05:47:51 AM
Of course, picking up all the items in there will be tedious, but it's just as tedious in the other gens. Mud just slows you down, but yea, steps are still steps, even if they are slow steps.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1594 on: October 07, 2013, 05:50:01 AM
I can say that at least Victory Road wasn't super annoying like in Red and Blue or Black 2 and White 2 since I barely remember it.

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Reply #1595 on: October 07, 2013, 06:15:39 AM
So how many Mega Pokemon do you think will be in the game?

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #1596 on: October 07, 2013, 06:42:09 AM
One thing is for certain.

No Mega Kalos Pokemon.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #1597 on: October 07, 2013, 06:46:18 AM
I've played Pokemon World Online, which had elements from up to Gen 4, so I haven't been in a total vacuum.  Fan-made is better than nothing.

As for the Pokemon RP system, using all the elements from the game proved to be a bit too complicated to put together a decent dice-based system.  At that point, you're better off just playing an online battle simulator.  Now, Ringman and I have discussed simpler systems, one which would involve a program where you put in your stats and it calculates hits.  Another simpler system would be a variation on Wushu, and since we already have the system, that might be easier to work with.

As for Mega Evolutions, I could incorporate that into the system pretty easily, but they would be basically just a new set of stats after the player announces that their Pokemon Mega Evolved.

Offline Sapphire Knight

• Coffee-Powered
  • Master's Unit
  • Short for Sapphire Knight
    • View Profile
    • Sapph's DA
Reply #1598 on: October 07, 2013, 07:13:25 AM
Online battle simulator? OH! I know of one! Pokemon Showdown!

My thread of Random Crap

Who loves Grape Soda? Sapph loves Grape Soda! Is it true? Is it true? Ohyesohyesohyes it's true-oo~ I do I do I do I do-oo~

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #1599 on: October 07, 2013, 07:19:02 AM
If that's the one I was thinking of, you can watch battles. :D

Ringman was watching a few battles and working on building this weird team of ineffective Pokemon with ineffective moves.  Not only did he go through the trouble to add the most under-used and lousiest Pokemon, he didn't even augment them with moves that would be effective in any way.

I had to teach him about STABs and held items.