Why doesn't Capcom just [parasitic bomb] some Battle Network games?

Ladd Spencer · 24733

Poll

Which data RPG's continuation would you prefer?

Battle Network
7 (70%)
Starforce
2 (20%)
hate data rpgs
1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Re: Why doesn't Capcom just [parasitic bomb] some Gundam games?
On Topic: I read back earlier that Starforce 2 and 3 didn't sell well enough to warrant a sequel. That's pretty much the most solid point here. I think that the MM series' fanbase started dwindling after the GBA era, honestly. Capcom needs something big to draw in more fans before they can even think about continuing their unfinished series. While it hurts to say so, they should leave the Classic, X, Starforce, and ZX series be until they can draw back a larger fanbase. They ALMOST had something with Legends 3. ALMOST. But then they screwed that over. Capcom really dug themselves into a rut concerning the Blue Bomber.

Discuss.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice

That?

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Poor Starforce. :(

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Wow, that's actually really accurate for the themes and settings of the series.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
The question mark is Over-1's games  8D

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
  • Blow up! We want to blow up this area.
    • View Profile
Except EXE is fun and SEED is butt leakage

FEELS  ;^;Which has the massive scrotums?

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
I agree with JustACan. Sort of. I still want to see the X series revisited, and I don't mind the ZX series getting a definitive conclusion. They should totally do Legends 3 on the Wii U.

Alternatively, I think the Legends series deserves a overhaul. Commit to a three-episode development deal and start over with Legends 1. Don't change what made the original fun and memorable, but clean and polish everything from the script to the textures to the controls. Use EX Troopers and/or the Legends 3 prototype as a base to work from.

Whether that's successful or not, I'd still want to see *a* Mega Man with the spirit of something like Legends, Zelda, or Metroid, where the emphasis is on the adventure moreso than it is on the action. Action's great, but Mega Man had that down in the 90s, and nowadays it isn't cutting the mustard much. I mean, Mega Man 9 kicked ass, but Capcom wasn't pleased enough with it.

I haven't got much to say about EXE, so here's some more GundaMan stuff.

Wing was pretty cool.

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
  • Blow up! We want to blow up this area.
    • View Profile
I want that on a shirt.

I don't know why they don't just do ZX but with a better map and less missions started at special platforms. And multiple characters you unlock as you beat it one by one. With different plots. And they see each other. Sometimes they fight each other.

If they wanted to get fancy they could do some sort of generic characters incorporated into the storyline, but they become replaced with your buddies along the lines of Brothers. Fight them, unlock them. Temporary slots. Main character is a new customizable Man. Fan favorites are unlockable, or some adaptation of them, like with the Precious Metals or whatever the [tornado fang] ZX was about.

A dumbed down "Race to the center of the castle" multiplayer mini-game, where you race through the game against each other.

Why do these people make it seem like game concepts are so hard?

FEELS  ;^;Which has the massive scrotums?

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
I don't really like recycling game content/campaigns with different characters. Most of the time it's just done wrong. The stories and sequences of events may be different, but you're still playing the same game tailored for all the characters, rather than a single game for each of them. Odin Sphere is a beautiful game, but I don't appreciate the overall package because for each character, it just feels like I'm playing the same game but watching a slightly different play/movie. I might like the characters, but I'd rather a game have a single campaign, with similar characters, that's highly replayable rather than several similar campaigns with different characters. The closure when I beat one campaign feels less rewarding when I know there are 3 or 4 more similar (recycled) ones I have to beat in order to get the "real" ending*.

This is partly why I like comparing ZX to Metroid (or MMX) because they're both similar games, but I think the latter does powerups and game progression much better. The map and the progression are scripted in such a way that you rarely ever feel lost, but still have fun exploring the vast non-linear world as you progress from area to area; with MMX, the stages are disjoint but very well designed, and the whole experience is cohesive anyways thanks to some light story injection and a cool stage select screen. The powerups you collect in both games stack up rather than provide you a range of mutually-exclusive forms/armors that you probably won't end up exploring or enjoying as much as a single upgradeable form, because the game isn't designed in such a way to make each form feel useful and rewarding**.

In ZX, you're occasionally forced to use one of four specific forms because of a roadblock, but that's not adequate to make the form either fun or useful. ZXA jacked up this useless quotient 3 times over by allowing you to copy boss forms--all 8 of them--as well as the previous four Guardian and ZX forms. In both cases, the game is designed for all the different forms, making the gameplay more complicated and less streamlined that it should be. Had the game made each form's usefulness more natural, they would've been more fun and worthwhile to use, but it also would've meant a much bigger game that demanded a departure from the 8-boss, 8-stage progression paradigm. ZX would have to have been more like Metroid than it was Mega Man, which is admittedly something I want to see.

*[spoiler]I didn't mind it much with X4 when you had to choose between X and Zero at the start, but I think it would've been a slightly smarter design choice to reward the player with Zero's campaign for beating X's campaign. So we both agree that unlockables are a good thing, because they're rewarding. Most of the time. On the other hand, having different characters with different game campaigns that intersect with each other is actually not a bad idea. Breath of Fire IV is a good example of this.[/spoiler]

**[spoiler]Also it's a huge [sonic slicer] to grind for money to fix the forms after you beat them out of the boss you fight. Why are they broken? Because you kept hitting them in their weak points, which you'd naturally think is a good thing (after all, you get a shiny "Level 1 Victory" for it!), but it actually means you have to pay more for that piece of your form to not suck; what you really wanted was a "Level 4 Victory". Did I mention this was really unintuitive?[/spoiler]

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
I actually agree from the playable standpoint on ZXA's stage layout, as the final sections were a pain as you had to use bifrost in a stage that's not meant for him in the first place due to his size, which is unfortunate as only bifrost can break those blocks that are in condorrock's flight path, which led to cramped rooms for the poor guy.

Then again, some of the forms are useless anyway (chronoforce is useless on land due to [acid burst] mobility, and there weren't enough water sections to fully utilize him).

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Actually, Chronoforce was one of my most-used forms, even on land, just for that OPhax time slowing ability. Especially during bosses.

The only one I found was really useless was in fact Bifrost. Yeah, the concept of a beserker form like him was good, but there was nowhere you could really USE him.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
He was actually TOO big, even. Every few seconds you had to change back because he didnt fit somewhere.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
He was actually TOO big, even. Every few seconds you had to change back because he didnt fit somewhere.

That was my point. I was so annoyed when there was a wall JUST high enough that he couldn't jump it.

"Whooo! This is awesome! YEAH DIE BITCHES... Damn it. Model A. Wall kick wall kick wall kick. A-TRANS. OH GAWD I LOVE THIS FORM and there's a [tornado fang]ing wall again."

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Brofist was basically a poor design choice. I mean he looks cool and all.. just not player character material, given he's so damn big and you can't really use him anywhere outside of certain boss rooms, in which you are a damn fool if you use him, given his size. I actually did use Chronoforce at the tail-end of the game, tbh. Really useful for stalling block-spawning time.

Though, all I'd like to see is a collection, BN is pretty much good as over at this point, and quite frankly, could've been the way Classic would've ended.. Then those bastards built X and Zero.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
It's not their fault Classic didn't end. :/

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
I don't want Classic to have an ending

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
ME NEITHER BRO

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jtpf8N5IDE[/youtube]

FOREVER IS OUR TODAY MEGA MAN!

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
I don't want Classic to have an ending

This on so many levels.

Brofist was basically a poor design choice.

Basically the high point of my time with him was when I was going to step over a spike-covered gap in the final stage, thinking he's large enough to just walk on over it, and being proven wrong at a life's expense.