Sprite Questions?

Waifu · 1885

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
on: August 11, 2012, 07:48:52 AM
I was going to post some sprites to get started on the topic but doing so would be long and tedious. I will just ask my question now. A few things aside, what are the real differences between the sprites used in a each of the Classic, X, Zero and Zx games? I know Capcom loves to rehash their stuff a lot but I don't really see any real differences between the sprites in the games and their sequels. I am not a spriter so I wouldn't know any of the intricate details that goes into making sprites but what exactly is the difference between the sprites used in each game? Like for example, what is difference between the sprites used in Mega man 2 and its successor Mega man 3?

Offline zuschzero

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 11:15:17 AM
Well, Megaman's sprite is exactly the same in the NES games. The only difference can be found in MM6.
When he's climbing a ladder, there are 2 black lines on his head what doesn't shows up in the other NES titles.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 03:17:04 AM
What about Medga Man 9 and the X series? Are there any little details that I should know about?

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 03:58:02 AM
Dunno about X, but MMs 9 and 10 use a different palette from the NES games for Megaman. (Protoman and Roll get palette changes earlier than that, I think)

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 09:57:58 PM
From what I know, X ditches the black outline in the later X games of the series, most likely to show off the PSX's processing power, plus now that there are more color choices (and a new artist for the games), the sprite style most likely had to evolve too.

But I'm not too sure of X's history as a spriting style, and the Zero series is very different (as it is known for the frowned upon air-humping in some spriting communities), but I'm not as familiar with that style as X/Classic, aside from it, like X4, not using the trademark black outlining that most mega man sprites are known for.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.