My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic thread!

Bueno Excelente · 30701

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
on: September 26, 2011, 08:31:27 PM

Everyone knew this was coming. Bronies unite!

Who loves MLP?
Who loves the Derpy Hooves appearances?
Who loves the new character affectionately named Screwball?
Who loves the fact that the last episode had both Star Wars AND Star Trek references?

All that and more. Come one, come all. Be Bronies.

[spoiler]Haters welcome. 8D[/spoiler]

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 08:38:25 PM
I don't really like MLP.
But I don't hate it either. I'm kinda indifferent to it. It just doesn't interest me.
Though I must admit, this show spawned a lot of good fan music. : P
I wish Wakfu would spawn something like that, but noooo. I was the only one to make one. : <

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 08:43:00 PM
Well, after hearing so much about it, I finally decided to give the show a look-see not too long ago. I can honestly see why people love it so much. It's very well written and the characters are well developed and diverse. They are good stories that have good morals, pretty decent character arcs, and a very good sense of humor about the whole thing.

Honestly, I'm happy cartoons like this exist. I have a 6 year old niece, and I'm very happy she has SOME quality cartoons out there like this and Avatar & Thundercats to watch. Hopefully we are seeing a new era of quality cartoons for younguns to watch and the old folk like me to appreciate.

And yes, Q as Discord was pretty much perfect. XD

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 09:29:27 PM
You guys really want to know why so many people love MLP so much?

Because it is the only current non-epic, non-adventuring, non-superhero show, aimed for children... whose characters speak like normal people would instead of retarded dialogue just so all kids can understand. Each character has their own quirks, the jokes are funny, the world in itself is interesting... It's one of the only slice-of-life cartoons I've ever seen where they've got everything. From KISS and David Bowie references, to jokes on how ponies are yokels who think clouds moving by themselves is creepy.

It's got a kind of amazing charm I've never seen in a Hasbro series before, and the fact that the show staff actively listen to the fans and add stuff in the show for them is awesome.

(also, Discord not being able to corrupt Fluttershy, and just cheat and make it happen automatically was VERY Q. As was drinking a glass while throwing chocolate milk like a grenade. =P)

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 09:34:56 PM
One of my personal favorite scenes was in the last episode of the first season at the Gala, when the animals are running amok, the ponies are scrambling, and the Princess just goes to Twilight Sparkle "......RUN!" That is seriously a joke/scenario my friends and I have been doing for so long now. Like Bueno said, the show is very well written, as the characters speak like normal people would.

Plus, crazy Fluttershy was hilarious!

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 09:44:04 PM
And I love the fact that there's small amounts of continuity. From them re-using the balloon, Derpy having crossed eyes and the letters actually serving a purpose.

Not just that, but the fact that Pinkie Pie's got a CRAZED MURDERER personality inside makes her even more of a favorite.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 11:01:05 PM
Im indifferent to it. Dont like it, but hey, to each their own.

lol, and it was only a matter of time before this thread popped up.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Sapphire Knight

• Coffee-Powered
  • Master's Unit
  • Short for Sapphire Knight
    • View Profile
    • Sapph's DA
Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 11:17:59 PM
To be honest, I've had a bunch of friends telling me how awesome it is and that I should watch it and make fanart (because most my friends are into the whole drawing thing). But I have 2 issues.

1- I'm never awake when it's on
2- When I am awake when it's on, I'm too drowsy to make heads or tails of it

My thread of Random Crap

Who loves Grape Soda? Sapph loves Grape Soda! Is it true? Is it true? Ohyesohyesohyes it's true-oo~ I do I do I do I do-oo~

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 11:20:56 PM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqgsXkmQ6ZI[/youtube]

There's a list with all of the episodes in the description. Enjoy...

...YOUR BRONIFICATION! HUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 11:42:47 PM
I'll also say this. The songs are very clever!

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 11:25:39 PM

Everyone knew this was coming. Bronies unite!

Who loves MLP?
Who loves the Derpy Hooves appearances?
Who loves the new character affectionately named Screwball?
Who loves the fact that the last episode had both Star Wars AND Star Trek references?

All that and more. Come one, come all. Be Bronies.

[spoiler]Haters welcome. 8D[/spoiler]

Dammit, I missed that episode! X(
Also, whoever made that Panty and Stocking version of MLP has earned my respect.

Pinkie Pie quickly became of favorite to me. I love how screwy she is. I almost though she was Fluttershy when she snapped on the episode where the ponies tried to throw her a surprise party. >0< Once I actually got down to get myself to watch this show, I was hooked. I haven't had this good of surprise since I started watching Top Gear on BBC America.

I'll also say this. The songs are very clever!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvqOwgiXR-U[/youtube]
I love how Pinkie Pie's song got all the ponies and buffaloes mad just when they decided not to fight each other. Oh Pinkie Pie..

Offline Dantonumanoa Ongdolota Amycronicon

• Unwholesome, unsavory and unintelligible
  • Neo Arcadian
  • o fuk my k/d ratio
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 11:29:14 PM
Eugh.

Anyway, this show is pretty nice. The writing is sort of a curve ball, especially when regarded in comparison to the the theme of the show.

I wouldn't go so far to call myself a "brony", though. That word sounds like a fungal growth.

I put on my [twin slasher] face.

I also go by Spectro D., Idylleaus, Malabar, and Dumb-bit Twofuck.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 12:49:23 AM
Dammit, I missed that episode! X(
Also, whoever made that Panty and Stocking version of MLP has earned my respect.

Pinkie Pie quickly became of favorite to me. I love how screwy she is. I almost though she was Fluttershy when she snapped on the episode where the ponies tried to throw her a surprise party. >0< Once I actually got down to get myself to watch this show, I was hooked. I haven't had this good of surprise since I started watching Top Gear on BBC America.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvqOwgiXR-U[/youtube]
I love how Pinkie Pie's song got all the ponies and buffaloes mad just when they decided not to fight each other. Oh Pinkie Pie..
Watch whatever eps you want, they're all online.

Also, Pinkie Pie's amazing thing, is that she's not OMGRANDUMB like most characters like her. She's legitimately funny with certain antics every episode, and her personality doesn't veer from what is expected. Each character is characterized really really well, from the raging lesbianism of Rainbow Dash, to the OCD nature that Twilight Sparkle has, and the crazy lonely cat lady nature that Fluttershy has. They're ALL CRAZY PEOPLE WITH ISSUES. And they don't hide it. That's what makes it so damn awesome.

I wouldn't go so far to call myself a "brony", though. That word sounds like a fungal growth.
I'll give you a couple of weeks.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 01:11:36 AM
You guys really want to know why so many people love MLP so much?

Because it is the only current non-epic, non-adventuring, non-superhero show, aimed for children... whose characters speak like normal people would instead of retarded dialogue just so all kids can understand. Each character has their own quirks, the jokes are funny, the world in itself is interesting... It's one of the only slice-of-life cartoons I've ever seen where they've got everything. From KISS and David Bowie references, to jokes on how ponies are yokels who think clouds moving by themselves is creepy.

I'm curious, have you ever watched Hey Arnold? I know you said current cartoon, but I found it interesting that almost every single thing you mentioned about the show in this quote, is exactly the way to describe Hey Arnold. I've actually re-watched the entire series a few months ago on Youtube recently to relieve my childhood, and It can get so realistic and mature that you wouldn't even guess it's a kids show.

[spoiler][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKL1ffelnNk&feature=related[/youtube][/spoiler]

To be fair though, MLP has a fantastical setting, while Hey Arnold has a realistic urban setting, so the comparison might be a little weird. If you never got the chance to watch it way back when, I recommend you do so. Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread anymore, so... *poof*

(also, I attempted to watch the first episode of MLP but couldn't finish it. I'll give it another chance if it really is that good....)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 02:07:47 AM
I'm curious, have you ever watched Hey Arnold? I know you said current cartoon, but I found it interesting that almost every single thing you mentioned about the show in this quote, is exactly the way to describe Hey Arnold. I've actually re-watched the entire series a few months ago on Youtube recently to relieve my childhood, and It can get so realistic and mature that you wouldn't even guess it's a kids show.

[spoiler][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKL1ffelnNk&feature=related[/youtube][/spoiler]

To be fair though, MLP has a fantastical setting, while Hey Arnold has a realistic urban setting, so the comparison might be a little weird. If you never got the chance to watch it way back when, I recommend you do so. Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread anymore, so... *poof*

(also, I attempted to watch the first episode of MLP but couldn't finish it. I'll give it another chance if it really is that good....)
I honestly thought so many times about Hey Arnold while typing up the description, that I went back and changed my "THE ONLY SLICE OF LIFE SHOW WITH REALISTIC BEHAVIOUR" to something a bit more palpable mid-posting. =P

I do agree with everything, but in a way, Hey Arnold never really ended the way it was supposed to (still waiting for that damn jungle movie where his parents come back and he kisses Helga ;___;) and MLP's characters just sound a bit... well, they're ADULTS in that crazy world of theirs. I guess it's kinda because of the presentation. My Little Pony is that one show that no man ever thought about liking simply because of the subject matter. It wasn't about being good or not, it's because it has a "little girls ONLY" image that's difficult to dissociate from it. This show keeps an unrealistic setting with magic and where ANYTHING goes... but keeps everyone acting realistically as how regular humans would act in such a setting. And what I love the most, is that they NEVER stop to explain anything. No jokes or any special things are referenced twice. In Hey Arnold, among the kids, it was mostly Arnold that acted maturely, and it was still within a kids' setting. We still needed Helga to say how much she LOVED Arnold secretly in every single episode, for example. Not to put any show above the other. Arnold is still a definition of a show done RIGHT.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 05:43:44 AM
I love when Pinkie Pie describes how she got her cutie mark, and after the story is done she says, "And that's how I saved Equestria!" That is quality writing. Legitimately unexpected and hilarious!

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 10:40:48 AM
I love when Pinkie Pie describes how she got her cutie mark, and after the story is done she says, "And that's how I saved Equestria!" That is quality writing. Legitimately unexpected and hilarious!
Nope. She says "And that's how Equestria was made!"

...which I honestly wouldn't put it besides her. After the party, she probably fought a legion of apocalyptic parasprites all by herself, and gave ponies a place to live.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 06:40:17 PM
Close enough!  8)

• Neo Arcadian
  • o fuk my k/d ratio
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 07:58:46 PM
I'll give you a couple of weeks.
I've already had a lot more than a few weeks.

It's enjoyable, but I'm not so crazy about it, especially considering the fact that damn near anything with a pulse there is a girl.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 09:35:00 PM
Watch whatever eps you want, they're all online.

Also, Pinkie Pie's amazing thing, is that she's not OMGRANDUMB like most characters like her. She's legitimately funny with certain antics every episode, and her personality doesn't veer from what is expected. Each character is characterized really really well, from the raging lesbianism of Rainbow Dash, to the OCD nature that Twilight Sparkle has, and the crazy lonely cat lady nature that Fluttershy has. They're ALL CRAZY PEOPLE WITH ISSUES. And they don't hide it. That's what makes it so damn awesome.
It's a good thing, too, because this brony just torrent all of Season 1's episodes (720p quality, though it doesn't matter if it's 720p or 1080p rips to me since it's all irrelevant to my shitty SDTV). 20GB lost, but I have no regrets. 8B

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 07:26:52 PM
By the way. Lemme make something clear.

There are bronies... which basically means they're bro about [parasitic bomb] and will act normally...

...and then there are these fuckers, I don't even know a name for them.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL_uR99FBPU[/youtube]

...if you ever see people like this, please request Exterminatus in your local area through the regular channels.

Thank you.

Offline ST Jestah

• Procastinator Extraordinair
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Just chilling in the Nexus.
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: October 01, 2011, 05:13:21 AM
That was painful to watch. I barely saw the first minute of it, but it was still very painful once they started to sing.

So yeah, my thoughts on the show. Pretty good, well written  for a kid's show, characters are fun and enjoyable, and who can resist the cameos. Though honestly, it isn't really that great as to make everyone on the internet and their grandmothers get completely obsessed over it. Most of the fandom can get a bit annoying at times.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: October 01, 2011, 06:14:48 AM
I love the show, and I agree--a large portion of the fanbase is annoying and creepy.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

• Neo Arcadian
  • o fuk my k/d ratio
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: October 01, 2011, 11:12:12 PM
There are bronies... which basically means they're bro about [parasitic bomb] and will act normally...
Oh.

Once again, I fall victim to those falsely representing the fanbase.

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I was born with this face...
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: October 02, 2011, 12:28:06 AM
Wow.

This is one of THE last things I expected to happen here. But anyway...

This [parasitic bomb] is written so well. I don't know how Lauren Faust pulls this off. Pinkie Pie, compared to the entire cast of Johnny Test and those other pile-of-[parasitic bomb] shows on Cartoon Network, is beyond par in terms of humor. But...
This.
the raging lesbianism of Rainbow Dash, to the OCD nature that Twilight Sparkle has, and the crazy lonely cat lady nature that Fluttershy has
I lol'd. And...
Once again, I fall victim to those falsely representing the fanbase.
Ditto.

SAMPLE TEXT