3DS Pricedrop. Early Adopters gets free NES+GBA VC games

MaJoR · 16412

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #50 on: August 20, 2011, 07:58:10 AM
I don't think it matters if the last digit in the box is in there or not.

It worked for me both times and said I was an ambassador both times, at least I don't have to worry about them checking for hardware that was sold at the 170 price earlier and stopping people who bought it at the reduced price from getting free ambassador games..

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: August 20, 2011, 06:19:52 PM
Nah it does matter, unless they fixed it.  For me and a bunch of other people I know it was saying "undetermined" when adding the box number.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #52 on: August 31, 2011, 12:37:24 AM
A guide showing step-by-step how to download your free games.

And here's the final list of NES games~
    Super Mario Bros.™
    Donkey Kong Jr.™
    Balloon Fight™
    Ice Climber™
    The Legend of Zelda™
    Metroid™
    NES Open Tournament Golf
    Wrecking Crew
    Zelda II - The Adventure of Link
    Yoshi

Aww no Kid Icarus. >u< Cool to see Metroid, Zelda II and Yoshi (puzzle game) there tho. XD

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #53 on: August 31, 2011, 12:40:48 AM
(EDITS: Darn Vixy's ninja-posting)

Looks like the rumor mill got 2 out of 5 (Metroid and Zelda II; lucky guesses I'd say).

Can't really argue with listening to Yoshi Star music wherever I want. 8)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 02:35:10 AM by Hypershell »

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: August 31, 2011, 09:58:42 AM
A guide showing step-by-step how to download your free games.

And here's the final list of NES games~
    Super Mario Bros.™
    Donkey Kong Jr.™
    Balloon Fight™
    Ice Climber™
    The Legend of Zelda™
    Metroid™
    NES Open Tournament Golf
    Wrecking Crew
    Zelda II - The Adventure of Link
    Yoshi

Aww no Kid Icarus. >u< Cool to see Metroid, Zelda II and Yoshi (puzzle game) there tho. XD

Well, awesome, now I have another copy of metroid and I'll finally get to play Wrecking Crew and Yoshi.

That golf game any good?

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: August 31, 2011, 08:21:37 PM
Cool, the games are available on the shop now. What a weird way to download them, though.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: August 31, 2011, 08:27:26 PM
I'm not so sure about that.

I can see them in my Account Activity (Along with the Ambassador certificate) but I can't download them.

EDIT: Never Mind, didn't know I had to go to My Downloads to download them.

Alrighty, time to give my opinion.

Very noticeable that this is a beta release for the NES games, there's hardly a manual (Not like you'd need it for most of these games) and no Restore Point Function (If they are planning on including one anyway).

On the other hand, I like how the VC Menu is Red and Grey as opposed to the Green and Grey of the GB Games.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #57 on: August 31, 2011, 08:58:21 PM
I don't quite get the 2-player option in Super Mario Bros. How exactly is that supposed to work?

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #58 on: August 31, 2011, 09:11:38 PM
I don't quite get the 2-player option in Super Mario Bros. How exactly is that supposed to work?

You change controllers by pressing L+R then hitting Y (Sorta like how you change the color of the Game Boy screen from Grey to Retro Green in the GB VC Games.)

It works for games with alternating controls like that, but I think wrecking crew (And probably Yoshi and Ice Climber, as well) is Two Simultaneous Players so I'm pretty sure that would be difficult as [tornado fang].

2nd Controller also works in Zelda so you can save the game without having to get killed.

So far the only games I've played are Zelda 1, SMB, and Wrecking Crew so I can't comment on the others.

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #59 on: August 31, 2011, 10:46:04 PM
If anyone still can't access their games through "Account Activity", pick the one right under it: "Your Downloads".

The download buttons for each game will show up there. XD

I will put my games here soon.

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #60 on: September 01, 2011, 02:44:29 AM
Fun fact: The Zelda rom on there is the original engrish-intro version and not the updated Wii VC game.

That golf game any good?
"Good" in the context of golf games during that era, yes.  I never tried a golf game before the N64, though, so I'm pretty spoiled.

Very noticeable that this is a beta release for the NES games, there's hardly a manual (Not like you'd need it for most of these games) and no Restore Point Function (If they are planning on including one anyway).
I'm sure they will, since the GB has it.  Nintendo's already stated that these games will be updated before they go public.

There seems to be some SLIGHT scaling going on.  The NES's vertical resolution is 256 while the 3DS's is 240.  I hope the final games have an option for an unscaled display as with GB/DS games.  I'd appreciate the sharper image, and 8 pixels off top and bottom would be pretty comparable to a box TV's overscan anyway.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 03:53:23 AM by Hypershell »

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #61 on: September 01, 2011, 03:00:25 AM
Tried playing the golf game, and holy [parasitic bomb] do I suck.

Everything else is fine and dandy, Yoshi is a little confusing but I think I understand how to play it now.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #62 on: September 01, 2011, 03:30:41 AM
God, i haven't even played Metroid for 10 minutes before it started to lag. Not game breaking, but there was a good deal of buffer. How do you screw up emulation like that?

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #63 on: September 01, 2011, 04:55:49 PM
There seems to be some SLIGHT scaling going on.

Just a tiny bit (1 or 2 pixels at the most). Mario looks fine tho, but you see it clearly in Wrecking Crew, Metroid and Zelda.

But the scaling is horizontal, not vertical. Here's why...

The NES's vertical resolution is 256 while the 3DS's is 240.

One of these statements are wrong. Can you guess which one? Let's compare some NES screens.

Oops~ Wrong game! 8D

Let's try that again.

You see what's going on here? Clearly, every pixel is there for your mouth-watering eye-sparkling enjoyment. But how is that possible?! D:

Because the Famicom/NES is capable of displaying games in two specific resolutions based on video modes. :3

256x224 and 256x240. The most common video mode is the one at 224px, but if you want to display more things on the screen that you normally don't see, 240px is more preferred.

Let's try that again~

While we're at it, funniest Ambassador Certificate review here.

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #64 on: September 02, 2011, 03:35:04 AM
Had my NES numbers backwards, sorry.

Guess they're trying to replicate the TV screen stretching.  Kinda messes with me on a handheld after playing/adjusting to so many GBC/GBA Mario ports, though.

Tried playing the golf game, and holy [parasitic bomb] do I suck.
Same.  The meter returns for accuracy faster than it leaves for power, so it's very, very easy to send your ball flying into the woods. :|

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #65 on: September 02, 2011, 12:46:14 PM
So I was playing Zelda, and I got to thinking...

"Wait, doesn't the 3DS have a Microphone?"

I remembered the thing about the Pols Voice and being able to kill them with the Microphone on the Famicom's 2nd Controller.

Of course the NES never had that, and seeing as this is the english rom I'm pretty sure they removed that.

Tried it to see if it could possibly work (By switching the controller).

Nothing.

Missed opportunity to be best port of the game ever. Oh well.

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #66 on: September 02, 2011, 12:54:58 PM
The thing is, it has to be the authentic Famicom Disk System version (with the extra sound channel music and other things) for it to work. And they have to actually program so that the 3DS mic is reacting to the Famicom 2nd controller.

Lately, in Japan, Nintendo decides to just use the "updated" cartridge version in their ports, so many of the old features don't work anymore. ^^;

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #67 on: September 02, 2011, 01:27:03 PM
The thing is, it has to be the authentic Famicom Disk System version (with the extra sound channel music and other things) for it to work. And they have to actually program so that the 3DS mic is reacting to the Famicom 2nd controller.

Lately, in Japan, Nintendo decides to just use the "updated" cartridge version in their ports, so many of the old features don't work anymore. ^^;

Oh, that makes sense then.

Thanks for clearing that up.  :)