Man Arrested for Importing Manga

Psycho Yuffie · 18078

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: December 17, 2008, 11:36:31 PM
Those sound like my favorite mangas too.

Then again, boobs in everything would be too much of a good thing, don't ya think?

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: December 17, 2008, 11:37:33 PM
Then again, boobs in everything would be too much of a good thing, don't ya think?

No, I'm pretty sure that's the exact phrase I type into search engines.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: December 17, 2008, 11:37:51 PM
You know something I'm beginning to notice? Animation is getting persecuted heavily lately.
Can you give me an example?

Those sound like my favorite mangas too.
Of course they do. -u-'

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: December 17, 2008, 11:40:56 PM
Okay, after actually taking the time to read the article, now I remember this case fully.  I heard about it a while back.  It's only now just reaching the court date, which is Feb. of 09.  I also fixed your first post, Nobo.  Carl Horn wasn't the one arrested.  It was Christopher Handley.  Carl Horn is a Manga Editor at Dark Horse.

Even though I'm [acid burst] poor broke, I might donate $10 or $20 to the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund in support of this man.  This was bullshit then, and it's bullshit now, and it doesn't even matter what the content of the manga was.  It's [tornado fang]ing art.  The fact that this man could be sent to prison for 20 years, and let me stress that again, TWENTY [tornado fang]ing YEARS, for buying a Manga is truly criminal.  White Collar Crooks barely get 20 months, and those fuckers literally can destroy people's lives.  Twenty Years for buying a Manga?  That's shameful.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: December 17, 2008, 11:42:34 PM
I know it's like going to jail for fifty years for buying a M rated game.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: December 17, 2008, 11:45:29 PM
Carl Horn wasn't the one arrested.  It was Christopher Handley.  Carl Horn is a Manga Editor at Dark Horse.
Whoops. Sorry. I read the article too, but when it came to making the topic, I had forgotten his name. I just glanced at the article to find out. I just thought Carl Horn sounded about right. xx;

Even though I'm [acid burst] poor broke, I might donate $10 or $20 to the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund in support of this man.  This was bullshit then, and it's bullshit now, and it doesn't even matter what the content of the manga was.  It's [tornado fang]ing art.  The fact that this man could be sent to prison for 20 years, and let me stress that again, TWENTY [tornado fang]ing YEARS, for buying a Manga is truly criminal.  White Collar Crooks barely get 20 months, and those fuckers literally can destroy people's lives.  Twenty Years for buying a Manga?  That's shameful.
It is shameful. A guy gets 20 years for buying manga while a rapist only gets 90 days in prison (yes, that happened)? Where's the justice?

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: December 17, 2008, 11:47:54 PM
No, I'm pretty sure that's the exact phrase I type into search engines.

Again, a winner is you. Do you want your prize in C-cups or Ds? XD

Can you give me an example?

Take a look at what's happened to 90% of all older animated shows & what's kept in the manga/graphic novel sections of bookstores. I didn't put much thought behind this at first, but it really does seem like someone high up wants animation regulated heavily for some reason.

-post-

I think you did the best job of posting in this thread so far, just because you nailed what was really wrong here right on the head. 20 years in jail for a manga... That's one me (in lifetime to date) and 9 months. [tornado fang]ing ridiculous.

It is shameful. A guy gets 20 years for buying manga while a rapist only gets 90 days in prison (yes, that happened)? Where's the justice?

Sometimes seeing these things make me wonder where the justice is in the world. :\

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: December 17, 2008, 11:49:43 PM
Sometimes seeing these things make me wonder where the justice is in the world. :\
Oh, and it was his second [twin slasher] conviction. :D

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: December 17, 2008, 11:50:24 PM

Take a look at what's happened to 90% of all older animated shows & what's kept in the manga/graphic novel sections of bookstores. I didn't put much thought behind this at first, but it really does seem like someone high up wants animation regulated heavily for some reason.
Hmm I never noticed it at all. :\

Offline Mega Greasy Houdini Tek 54321

• B-Class Hunter
  • BOOYAKASHA!!!
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: December 17, 2008, 11:52:04 PM
Justice

At the rate America's going with this, there's no such word.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: December 17, 2008, 11:54:36 PM
The fact that this man could be sent to prison for 20 years, and let me stress that again, TWENTY [tornado fang]ing YEARS, for buying a Manga is truly criminal.  White Collar Crooks barely get 20 months, and those fuckers literally can destroy people's lives.  Twenty Years for buying a Manga?  That's shameful.

[tornado fang]ing agreed. Hopefully, during the trial, people will see how [tornado fang]ing ridiculous and stupid this is.

Oh, and it was his second [twin slasher] conviction. :D
You have got to be [tornado fang]ing kidding me.

As sad as it is to say this, I think the correct answer is "in our imaginations."  :\

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: December 17, 2008, 11:56:01 PM
Hmm I never noticed it at all. :\
I did. Manga usually doesn't get edited at all. Back in the day, all they did was flip the pages over, so they could be read left-to-right.

Meanwhile, anime is like this:

Japanese Vegeta: Damn it! DAMN IT!! NO ONE WILL ESCAPE MY RAGE!!

Japanese Gohan: We're dead...

------

English Vegeta: Darn it! I'll beat them all senseless!

English Gohan: Gee, golly! He sure is angry.

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: December 17, 2008, 11:57:12 PM
Again, a winner is you. Do you want your prize in C-cups or Ds? XD

Whatever these are.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: December 18, 2008, 12:00:04 AM

For some reason?  It's called censorship.  It's this whole "Holier than thou" attitude of trying to make children into little obedient drones with little to no imagination anymore.  It's been going on for a long time now.  I like to call it the Dumbing Down of America.  Cartoons, nowadays, are god awful.  They pretty much have no story, no animation quality to them, and are seen, by this censorship [Top Spin]s, as mindless entertainment for kids.

These are the people who declare that Batman Beyond is too violent for kids, and thus cancel it.  These are the people who censor Heero Yuy saying, "I Don't Believe In God" from the cut, non-Midnight Run version of Gundam Wing.  I'll NEVER forget when I saw that.  There is NOTHING vulgar about him saying that, but it was censored.  So, not to point fingers here, but just remember that line and that should tell you who's really responsible for it.

That's actually why I want to give money to support this guy, because as the article says, it won't end.  They won't just stop at Manga or Cartoons.  Who knows how far they'll truly go.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: December 18, 2008, 12:02:41 AM
For some reason?  It's called censorship.  It's this whole "Holier than thou" attitude of trying to make children into little obedient drones with little to no imagination anymore.  It's been going on for a long time now.  I like to call it the Dumbing Down of America.  Cartoons, nowadays, are god awful.  They pretty much have no story, no animation quality to them, and are seen, by this censorship [Top Spin]s, as mindless entertainment for kids.

These are the people who declare that Batman Beyond is too violent for kids, and thus cancel it.  These are the people who censor Heero Yuy saying, "I Don't Believe In God" from the cut, non-Midnight Run version of Gundam Wing.  I'll NEVER forget when I saw that.  There is NOTHING vulgar about him saying that, but it was censored.  So, not to point fingers here, but just remember that line and that should tell you who's really responsible for it.

That's actually why I want to give money to support this guy, because as the article says, it won't end.  They won't just stop at Manga or Cartoons.  Who knows how far they'll truly go.

Grah, all this [parasitic bomb] really pisses me off. Anyone got any realistic ideas of how someone could possibly fix this?  X(

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: December 18, 2008, 12:05:14 AM
At the rate America's going with this, there's no such word.
Tell me about it, I mean one minor example is the kids in my school can't wear hats unless it's school sponsered because of some gang war and apparently some hats contain some bad content.  But everyone may or may not know it's just so they can make money or something cuz seriously unless to hat was custom made I've never seen one with bad content and gang wars seriously?

I did. Manga usually doesn't get edited at all. Back in the day, all they did was flip the pages over, so they could be read left-to-right.

------

Oh that stuff.  Yeah I know huh, because of 4kids Kaiba's character is always a snobby selfish loner and never believes in Destiny til the end.  While in the Japanese version he has a heart, actually teams up with Yugi willingly, and does believe in Destiny.

-post-
Danm censorship haven't these people read Fahrenheit 451?  Sure it gets a little dull toward the end and the movie sucks really bad but it's lesson is clear: Censorship will make most of the world turn into idiots!

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: December 18, 2008, 12:07:21 AM
Whatever these are.

Would you like to try eating my meat?

I'd have a counter to this ready, but this is a G rated page. XD

[tornado fang]ing agreed. Hopefully, during the trial, people will see how [tornado fang]ing ridiculous and stupid this is.

This depends on where the trial is taking place and who the judge is. I pray that he gets someone with common sense.

Jesus, I just went to youtube to confirm this and my God, it's like a part of my childhood died just now. Heero's last line was legendary to me in the cut version. I almost have it perfectly memorized all these years later... And you're telling me that ISN'T what happened because someone got their panties stuck in places?

Lemme put this out on the record. The only thing that pisses me off more than censorship is the idea that in a society filled with the idea of freedom of speech and expression, there are rules in place so that any [tornado fang]er who feels offended by so much as the wind blowing [as an example of how small something could really be] can have it removed, stripped, taken away, etc. It's ridiculous.

• B-Class Hunter
  • BOOYAKASHA!!!
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: December 18, 2008, 12:07:30 AM

------

Welcome to 4kids! Where we pretty much give you anime with crapass catch phrases!

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: December 18, 2008, 12:08:12 AM
Welcome to 4kids! Where we pretty much give you anime with crapass catch phrases!
BELIEVE IT!

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: December 18, 2008, 12:11:15 AM
I'd have a counter to this ready, but this is a G rated page. XD

This depends on where the trial is taking place and who the judge is. I pray that he gets someone with common sense.

Jesus, I just went to youtube to confirm this and my God, it's like a part of my childhood died just now. Heero's last line was legendary to me in the cut version. I almost have it perfectly memorized all these years later... And you're telling me that ISN'T what happened because someone got their panties stuck in places?

Lemme put this out on the record. The only thing that pisses me off more than censorship is the idea that in a society filled with the idea of freedom of speech and expression, there are rules in place so that any [tornado fang]er who feels offended by so much as the wind blowing [as an example of how small something could really be] can have it removed, stripped, taken away, etc. It's ridiculous.
It's reasons like these as to why I don't really believe in religion at all I may believe in God a little but not religion.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: December 18, 2008, 12:13:07 AM
The moral of this story is, if people could [tornado fang]ing learn to live and let live, things like sending a guy to jail for for two decades for importing the latest issue of Bleach wouldn't even be considered. (Not what happened, just putting it into perspective.)

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: December 18, 2008, 12:13:34 AM
BELIEVE IT!
That's Viz, and thank god that got removed later >_>

So do I, but these days common sense may as well be called uncommon sense -__-

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: December 18, 2008, 12:14:34 AM
The moral of this story is, if people could [tornado fang]ing learn to live and let live, things like sending a guy to jail for for two decades for importing the latest issue of Bleach wouldn't even be considered. (Not what happened, just putting it into perspective.)
It would be funny if we found out later that's what happened... >>;

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: December 18, 2008, 12:16:00 AM
I apologize in advance if I get anyone arrested for viewing my comic jam.

• B-Class Hunter
  • BOOYAKASHA!!!
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: December 18, 2008, 12:17:31 AM
Jack Thompson's back this time he's attacking manga!

I apologize in advance if I get anyone arrested for viewing my comic jam.

XD