How will the series end?

Waifu · 16198

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #50 on: July 23, 2011, 09:21:52 AM
9 could have done without reusing 2's music.

It was an homage to it. That's all.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: July 23, 2011, 10:46:48 AM
We'll just agree to disagree then- I dont feel like getting into an argument over megaman music right now. too tired...

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #52 on: July 23, 2011, 02:51:28 PM
If it's any consolation, Flame, I agree with you.  2 has some great music, but it's shorter jingles generally blow, and that's all 9 chose to rehash.  Repeatedly.  My problem isn't that they reused 2's soundtrack so much as it is that they reused the worst of 2's soundtrack.

I love what 10 did with the Stage-intro/victory themes.  It's the same melody, and it's still NES instruments, but rather than copy/paste they put together something more compelling.  Not unlike the difference between the victory themes in the Xtreme games.

For the PSP remakes, and 9, I was not impressed.  10 surpassed my expectations, no doubt.  At the same time, they could do better.  And don't mean full-3D modern presentation, either.  Even another NES-styled game could see some improvements.  Such as the shop getting a little more MM8-esque and carrying some permanent upgrades (like the ability to SLIDE!!!).

You know, I had a thought...  I'd love to see 3D Mega Man in an otherwise more traditional formula, but 3D games can never truly replace 2D games in my book.  So...what if we left X in 2D, and brought ZX into 3D?  Many of ZX's complaints tend to revolve around the ways it feels like a "half-assed" X (special weapons/elements, in particular).  They could correct that and at the same time still keep something significant and unique to ZX.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #53 on: July 23, 2011, 06:47:27 PM
In particular, the reuse of 2's weapon get theme, (the worst part of 2's st) is something that irks me. I mean, both 9 and 10 are wanking over 2, but 9 more than 10. at least 10 felt a bit more fresh. (although 9's using NEW Light bots WAS nice) Any part of the series would be cool in 3D.

keep in mind what some people dislike about ZX is simply the setting.

No, Rock, No X, No Zero. Just a bunch of kids with henshin devices. (which contain X and Zero anyway, but people forget that) The henshin thing isnt as big here as it is in japan, so people are a bit less taken by it. They just hate that you dont play as X or Zero. :\

I suppose that a 3D ZX could work well, like the Metroid Primes, considering that they use a similar metroid style open ended map. ESPECIALLY since they also have doors in the background, which give a pseudo 3rd dimension.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: July 23, 2011, 06:54:33 PM
In my mind a 3D Mega Man title would work flawlessly if it's similar to Vanquish.

Vanquish is a TPS that doesn't focus on covering, but is all about going out at high velocity to kick serious ass. All it requires is minor tweaking and you would have a grand foundation for a 3D Mega Man game.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: July 23, 2011, 07:01:32 PM
Huh Vanquish seems pretty neat. Actually feels like a videogame, and is 3rd person despite being a modern shooter. IT ISNT FPS. HOLY [parasitic bomb] MADNESS ETC.

Hmm thing is, MANY different kinds of 3D gameplay would work for the Megaman Series, if done right. problem is, Capcom DOESNT know how to do it right, which is why we got X7.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: July 23, 2011, 07:12:33 PM
Alright, seriously, are people really okay with seeing yet ANOTHER 8-bit Megaman game? Am i not seeing the picture right?

Please tell me i'm not the only one hoping they use use a different style for MM11. Hell, 16-bit would be more than welcome.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #57 on: July 23, 2011, 07:16:04 PM
To be perfectly honest:

Yes indeed, I wouldn't mind another 8-bit Mega Man title. At all.
However, I would also welcome a 16-bit version, as long as it looks like MM7.
The MM8 visuals are welcome too.

So basically... I don't care.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #58 on: July 23, 2011, 07:21:02 PM
On the forementioned topic of a 3D ZX, I would like that if they didn't really change the gameplay, but actually used a 3D map that showed you going somewhere in the world. Cause really, I hated the first game's map so much, and ZXA improved on it a lot (in my opinion).

But imagine vertical stages like Tower of Verdure, or even certain stages like Ouroboros as 3D maps... that'd be pretty damn awesome.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #59 on: July 23, 2011, 07:23:10 PM
Alright, seriously, are people really okay with seeing yet ANOTHER 8-bit Megaman game? Am i not seeing the picture right?

Please tell me i'm not the only one hoping they use use a different style for MM11. Hell, 16-bit would be more than welcome.

I personally think Megaman 7's style worked really well for the Classic Series. SNES Style is more than welcome.

MM8 was too... I don't know, bubbly looking?

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #60 on: July 23, 2011, 07:33:12 PM
I personally think Megaman 7's style worked really well for the Classic Series. SNES Style is more than welcome.

MM8 was too... I don't know, bubbly looking?

I think that using the sprite design of MM7 would look great. It would certainly be leagues more refreshing than rehashing what they've been doing with the previous 2. As for the music, it could stay the same really.

To be perfectly honest:

Yes indeed, I wouldn't mind another 8-bit Mega Man title. At all.
However, I would also welcome a 16-bit version, as long as it looks like MM7.
The MM8 visuals are welcome too.

So basically... I don't care.

We had a similar conversation about this before, so i know you don't care. :P

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #61 on: July 23, 2011, 07:46:24 PM
We had a similar conversation about this before, so i know you don't care. :P

We did? Oh well, twice the post is twice the fun.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #62 on: July 23, 2011, 08:11:09 PM
I dunno..I would rather see some inovation for Megaman 11. MAybe finnaly a game that takes more than a hour to beat? THough it shouldn't drag too ...hmmm

Offline Slash Man

• Resistance Member
  • NES Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Mega Stuff
Reply #63 on: July 23, 2011, 10:12:01 PM
I could stand another 8-bit game, but it'd have to be done right. Not that the others weren't but the series is barely going anywhere. The reason the series slowed down after 8 was that people were getting tired of it. Again, Capcom's afraid to go out of their comfort zone and add something truly different (or let us slide/charge). Though a 16-bit game wouldn't be bad.

As for other series... I think X deserves another outing. It can really go anywhere. Making the first game in 2D wouldn't be bad, but I think that series is destined to go to 3D at some point.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #64 on: July 24, 2011, 12:39:15 AM
By all means, I'd love to see a proper graphical update to Classic.  But neither Powered Up nor Universe were really it, if you ask me.  Capcom just...doesn't seem to know how.  If the NES niche is what keeps Rock alive, fine, as long as they stop dry-humping 2 so much and acknowledge the later series contributions.

As far as other Classic visual styles go, I don't think either 7 or 8 are bad at all.  They're both very appealing, visually.  I have issues with 7 but they're generally with regards to gameplay, not aesthetics.  As long as MM11 doesn't see a Rush Search, they should be in good shape.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Slash Man

• Resistance Member
  • NES Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Mega Stuff
Reply #65 on: July 24, 2011, 12:55:43 AM
I liked the look in general of Mega Man Universe. The Mega Man model they chose just didn't look that good, though. He looked too stretchy. Of course, Mega Man: PU had its own short stint, I'm glad that style didn't carry over...

In the past, I agree with his Mega Man 7 and 8 upgrades. They touched on both ends of the spectrum; Mega Man 7 looked more flat and cartoon-y (carrying over from the NES style), and Mega Man 8's had more dimension to it. We really haven't seen a great, modern Mega Man yet.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #66 on: July 24, 2011, 01:01:07 AM
I think the best part that MM7 did right, and which no classic MM after it ever got right again, was the amount of stuff you could find and buy.

I really liked goig through stages again to search for hidden items and passages.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #67 on: July 24, 2011, 01:24:16 AM
and Mega Man 8's had more dimension to it. We really haven't seen a great, modern Mega Man yet.

Speaking of dimension, it would probably look great in stereoscopic 3D. Especially Tengu Man's stage with those leaves flying around in the background. So if MM11 were to use that style.....

OMG MM11 FOR 3DS CONFIRMED

Offline Slash Man

• Resistance Member
  • NES Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Mega Stuff
Reply #68 on: July 24, 2011, 01:42:34 AM
Mega Man may never return to his console greatness... but a 3DS release would be a step in the right direction. (Mega Man Mania would be nice, too)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #69 on: July 24, 2011, 04:26:18 AM
I loved 8's aesthetic. It was very vibrant and colorful, perfect for classic. megaman's spritre was spot on, and the stages were fun. they took the hint from 7 with having certain parts have like an alternate area that led to (in this case) the bolts

the upgrades were great, and were all permanent, although they did have that limited bolt system. (but again, they only made you chose more wisely)

MM&B was great, but being an SNES game couldnt quite match up to 8. it felt a bit less vibrant, the music was- I dint quite like the SNES music, and although the GBA music was good, still not better than 8's. Also, it was horribly biased in favor of Bass... Although it followed 7's bolt system, which was welcome.

EDIT: I no longer know where I was going with this...

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #70 on: July 24, 2011, 05:15:36 AM
I think the best part that MM7 did right, and which no classic MM after it ever got right again, was the amount of stuff you could find and buy.

I really liked goig through stages again to search for hidden items and passages.
If they manage to do that without having to Rush Search, like the Power-Up Parts in X6, then maybe that would work.

I just don't want to be looking for crap that is outright invisible, and that's one area where 7 bothered me.  Mega Man isn't Metroid, it's supposed to have a faster pace, and it outright breaks the atmosphere of the game to have to comb over the most inconspicuous spots like that.

I actually liked 8's Bolt system.  Not that it needs to be redone; 10 did the "currency" system pretty well.  Just saying, 8 struck a nice balance of collectibles that were fairly apparent and yet still took some effort to obtain.  Throw in New Game Plus to "break" the pick-and-choose limitation on replays, and it'd be perfect.

However they do MM11, I think it needs to have something in the way of permanent upgrades beyond the simple "Rush Jet + 8 weapons" shpiel.  The extra three weapons in 10 were great, but I'd love to see the shop expanded with more "equippable" items than just the Energy Balancer.  Every character ought to have one or two permanent upgrades unique to them.  

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #71 on: July 24, 2011, 05:43:14 AM
Kind of like MM&B did? Rock cot Rush search and Beat, while Bass got Treble boost.

Thats another thing that irked me about 8.5 itself, having to rush search for discs. UGH.

Also, beyond just Rush Jet+Coil, I would like to see the return of 6/7's adaptors. or Stuff like Rush Marine or even Rush Drill.

Offline Slash Man

• Resistance Member
  • NES Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Mega Stuff
Reply #72 on: July 24, 2011, 05:47:42 AM
How about the Balloon and Wire? Those weren't really necessary, but they made some spots easier. Although they were hidden, you could just as easily have them as store items.

And the P-Chip system worked great, as with everything else in Mega Man IV and V.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #73 on: July 24, 2011, 06:42:58 AM
the Megaman MI hack alos does an interesting way of finding hidden items. there are alternate stage routes which take you to a hologram re-fight of an another Mega Man game's boss, and upon beating them, you go into the following room and get a special item. After which it teleports you back to where you should be.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #74 on: July 24, 2011, 06:11:53 PM
Kind of like MM&B did? Rock cot Rush search and Beat, while Bass got Treble boost.

Thats another thing that irked me about 8.5 itself, having to rush search for discs. UGH.

Also, beyond just Rush Jet+Coil, I would like to see the return of 6/7's adaptors. or Stuff like Rush Marine or even Rush Drill.
I was actually thinking of maybe balancing the characters as 10 does in the beginning, and throwing in shop upgrades that power them up more to the likeness of other games (though some original power-ups wouldn't hurt either).  Rock would get charge/slide upgrades.  ProtoMan would get a "Proto Strike" upgrade to freely use charged shots (but no boss stunning, that was overkill), and maybe something to change his shield mechanics around since jumping to block just won't stop feeling awkward.  Bass could get either an attack boost or wall-piercing, ala MM&B.

All of these would be "switchable" in the weapon screen after purchasing, of course.  And since Inticreates seems hell-bent on making the MM1/2 play style the "official" one for leaderboard purposes, they could do a full-game Time Trial mode that just axes them (hey, disabling upgrades is what they're good at).