What took them so long to destroy the Virus?

Waifu · 6701

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
on: December 26, 2010, 04:40:19 AM
The Sigma Virus plot was sort of resolved oustide the X series yet I have to wonder in the real world. a programmer would had already found out how to get rid of a virus and make ways to eliminate. Even if you aren't a programmer, you could had always used the internet to find out how to stop it or have a powerful antivirus program to stop it but why did it take so long as it did to stop the Sigma Virus? Wouldn't the technology had been able to catch to X and Zero eventually?

Offline MrBaryl

• A new Shooting Star.
  • B-Class Hunter
  • "Everything for you"
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 05:27:43 AM
No wonder everyone likes Zero, X sucks as a antivirus...

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 05:39:28 AM
The Sigma Virus plot was sort of resolved oustide the X series yet I have to wonder in the real world. a programmer would had already found out how to get rid of a virus and make ways to eliminate. Even if you aren't a programmer, you could had always used the internet to find out how to stop it or have a powerful antivirus program to stop it but why did it take so long as it did to stop the Sigma Virus? Wouldn't the technology had been able to catch to X and Zero eventually?
Do you even know what your talking about?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 06:10:55 AM
make ways to eliminate.
THINK THAT THEY PROTOMAN FENCE TO DISAPPEAR

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 06:33:10 AM
Sigma Virus defies 21XX attempts at analysis as is well established in X5's opening (and in MMZOCW).  It's difficult to counter what one cannot freely examine.  It also dies with its host (established in X6), so they can't simply haul a corpse into the lab.

And one can also reasonably assume that the Sigma Virus is adaptive, since viral vaccines have been in use ever since X3.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 08:30:49 PM
So the Sigma Virus couldn't be analyzed and it can adapt to anything?

Do you even know what your talking about?

Not really. It hought with the Virus being what it is, you think someone can come up with an antivirus.

Offline Hiryu

• Capcom's Favorite futuristic ninja
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 08:35:15 PM
They sorta did in X3. Zero gets the antivirus from Doppler and loads it to his beam saber at the end.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 08:39:54 PM
The Sigma virus is more than a regular Virus

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 04:26:53 AM
The Sigma virus is more than a regular Virus

I guess not, didn't the Virus have that Evil Energy signature (not the Evil energy from Classic) that had been crafted by Wily to tap into the violent tendencies of Reploids?

Offline Ekaje

• You worthless piece of scrap metal!
  • Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 06:31:42 AM
Because $$$.  Oh, you were talking about the plot. Pretty sure it partially has to do with the virus adapting and partly due the fact that later Sigma is the virus itself and is leaving his body and searching for a new one after you blow him up every game.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 08:44:34 AM
G*Star.. What X games have you played?

for that matter, what do you KNOW exactly about the X series and its events and backstory?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 03:48:42 AM
I guess not, didn't the Virus have that Evil Energy signature (not the Evil energy from Classic) that had been crafted by Wily to tap into the violent tendencies of Reploids?
You lost me completely.  The ONLY time "Evil Energy" has been used as a specific term was within Classic.  Any links between it and the Sigma Virus are at best fan-based speculation, nothing more.

IN NO WAY WHATSOEVER was the Maverick Virus created to draw out the violent tendencies of Reploids.  As a matter of fact, in relation to Zero, it was created to do the complete opposite and suppress them (stated on the Zero Collection timeline).

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 04:39:33 AM
G*Star.. What X games have you played?

for that matter, what do you KNOW exactly about the X series and its events and backstory?

You lost me completely.  The ONLY time "Evil Energy" has been used as a specific term was within Classic.  Any links between it and the Sigma Virus are at best fan-based speculation, nothing more.

IN NO WAY WHATSOEVER was the Maverick Virus created to draw out the violent tendencies of Reploids.  As a matter of fact, in relation to Zero, it was created to do the complete opposite and suppress them (stated on the Zero Collection timeline).

I only played the first five to completion plus CM but I kind of got that "evil energy" thing from a post along while ago. I realize that Sigma Virus = Evil energy had been debunked a long time ago but the Sigma Virus is more than just a meere computer virus.  Thanks for the info.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 03:34:09 PM
The ONLY time "Evil Energy" has been used as a specific term was within Classic.

False. It had been used in EXE4 as well.

IN NO WAY WHATSOEVER was the Maverick Virus created to draw out the violent tendencies of Reploids.

People seem to forget that Evil Energy does not create evil; it is instead born and grown from evil. It is attracted to evil, and feeds on it.

I only played the first five to completion plus CM but I kind of got that "evil energy" thing from a post along while ago. I realize that Sigma Virus = Evil energy had been debunked a long time ago but the Sigma Virus is more than just a meere computer virus.  Thanks for the info.

There IS a clear cut relation between the Alien Energy and the Sigma Virus. Just not as direct as people seem to think.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 12:54:51 AM
"Relation" in that sense is more of a narrative trend than anything else.  Ye olde ZC timeline (which has since been taken down) referred to the Sigma Virus as a "subspecies" of an older virus from space, presumably referring to MM10's Roboenza.

False. It had been used in EXE4 as well.
So sue me; that's an AU and is therefore irrelevant.

People seem to forget that Evil Energy does not create evil; it is instead born and grown from evil. It is attracted to evil, and feeds on it.
I didn't mean that as relating to the Evil Energy part of the discussion.  Merely correcting a misconception as to the Maverick Virus's purpose.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 12:55:42 PM
"Relation" in that sense is more of a narrative trend than anything else.  Ye olde ZC timeline (which has since been taken down) referred to the Sigma Virus as a "subspecies" of an older virus from space, presumably referring to MM10's Roboenza.

Its not just a narrative trend. After it has been established that the Sigma Virus is a Cyber Elf, its nature as a "program with energy body" likens it almost directly to the Alien Energy. The same applies to the virus from space (Roboenza), as its predecessor.

Furthermore, "Cyber Elf"  being synonymous to the "soul" (volition of a bodiless lifeform), relates it to the two attributes of justice and evil one can attain; Sigma Virus as a lifeform, just like Earthling robots, has aspects of justice energy and energy evil within it. We see this clearly in yet another Sigma Virus derivative; the Mother Elf and its counterpart, Dark Elf.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: December 31, 2010, 09:38:58 PM
A program life object may have aspects of justice and evil, which I would think is only natural for any living intelligence.  But the fact that Alien Energy reacts to justice and evil does not make it a program life object.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: December 31, 2010, 09:50:16 PM
Yet the Alien Evil Energy was displayed as something very much alive. It is not just energy; it does have volition.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: December 31, 2010, 10:18:01 PM
I missed that part.  Care to source it?

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: January 01, 2011, 03:57:29 AM
We saw it acting in a primitive bacteria like behavior, seeking what nurtures it and multiplying. A plain energy source would not carry out any activities.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: January 01, 2011, 05:48:07 AM
Fire performs that activity, Zan.  It consumes, and it spreads with regard to what it is able to consume.

I don't recall seeing Alien Energy actively "seek" anything.  I haven't seen anything regarding Alien Energy that may definitively be called consciousness or instinct, as opposed to mere environmental reactions.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: January 01, 2011, 02:13:29 PM
I don't recall seeing Alien Energy actively "seek" anything.  I haven't seen anything regarding Alien Energy that may definitively be called consciousness or instinct, as opposed to mere environmental reactions.

It literally homed in on Rockman in the ending. Furthermore, being a source of energy, a fuel so to say, it should not be responding to its environment like that. It very much has characteristics implicating this energy also contains a program.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: January 01, 2011, 06:10:14 PM
ALL things respond to their environments, Zan.  Heat, pressure, light, magnetism, the presence of a container, and contact with other materials.  Fuel wouldn't be fuel if it didn't react with anything (no reaction = no release of energy).  It's quite a stretch of logic to try and define based on speculation what a fantasy alien object should and should not react to.  In no way is it unheard of in fantasy storylines to find a nonliving object which responds to one's thoughts (Ghostbusters II comes to mind).  The fact that it responds to such passively suggests that Alien Energy lacks a will of its own.

"Homing in on Rock" is based solely on a visual effect, hardly definitive.  He shot down an Evil Energy powered craft, and the energy spread to him while he stood near it.  A damaged and crashed craft introduces too many variables for us to account for.

Evil Energy, on its own, never demonstrated any sense of volition.  If on its own, Evil Energy were infectious, Rock should not be capable of safely handling it, which he does throughout the first half of the game.  It doesn't respond to being handled by those of justice (Rock, Light, and Duo), suggesting a lack of any survival instinct.  And, as is central to Power Fighters' plot, Alien Energy on its own has no affinity to justice or evil, but rather adopts the traits of whichever it is exposed to.

All of this is passive behavior, and therefore cannot be taken as definitive evidence of life or programming.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: January 01, 2011, 07:31:05 PM
"Homing in on Rock" is based solely on a visual effect, hardly definitive.

It floated upward, was even noted by Wily as behaving oddly, then came swooping down toward Rockman.

If on its own, Evil Energy were infectious, Rock should not be capable of safely handling it, which he does throughout the first half of the game.

It was always specifically trapped within containers.

It doesn't respond to being handled by those of justice (Rock, Light, and Duo), suggesting a lack of any survival instinct.

Without Sigma at the helm, does the Sigma Virus? The relation of Sigma and the Sigma Virus is entirely comparable to that of the alien robot and the evil energy. It is a part of them.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: January 20, 2011, 03:25:43 AM
It's still highly speculative, though I will grant you that the general unfamiliarity with program life objects as of MM8 would likely prevent anything more definitive popping up.

That said, even if we were to definitively establish Evil Energy as having its own volition, that doesn't link it to the Sigma Virus.  Cyber Elves are linked to the Sigma Virus because they were loosely derived from it.  Same for the Nightmare.  We have no grounds for assuming the same of Evil Energy to Sigma Virus, and until that changes, I believe "narrative trend" remains an accurate description of any such similarities.