I loved ya...but things just ain't working out anymore.

ST Jestah · 1794

Offline ST Jestah

• Procastinator Extraordinair
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Just chilling in the Nexus.
    • View Profile
on: November 19, 2010, 06:06:53 PM
EDIT:Changed the title to something more suitable.

Here's the gist of my little, and mostly, maybe trivial dilemma.

I want to sell/trade in some games for some extra credit to get a game and/or save up for upcoming games for 2011.

Now here's the thing, on my list of games to sell is, as much as it hurts me as a nintendo fan boy...The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

Don't get me wrong, I love this game, it was a very epic installment in the franchise despite it being easy, and gave us some new memorable characters to love, some in a more self physical way. Not to mention it was the very first game for my Wii console.

And yet, after beating completely a year or two ago, I sat down, played it a bit again and felt...nothing. The same spark I once felt when playing this game in those happy times was...gone.

Has this game really lost its charm in my eyes? Are this feelings of wanting us to seperate truly real? Have I not only betrayed the franchise and it's fans, the game, but also...myself?

« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 06:27:08 PM by ST Jestah »

Offline Rayl

• The Missing Piece
  • Resistance Member
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 06:15:45 PM
It's been a year since you last played it you say?

I have a system for Majora's Mask (and a few of the other zelda titles as well) and that is that i play it once a year, every year. Every time i sit down and play it i ALWAYS have a thoroughly enjoyable time as it's, in my opinion, the best of the Zelda titles. It stays fresh with me on almost every occasion i play it.

Now i USED to do the same with Wind Waker before it dawned on me that it not only lost all it's charm but to me it felt... dull. Lifeless. I don't see it as a betrayal but i see it as a fault on the game's own longevity. If you feel the same regarding Twilight Princess after a year or more then that's not your fault but it's as far as the game's charm can take you.

Offline ST Jestah

• Procastinator Extraordinair
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Just chilling in the Nexus.
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 02:59:24 AM
Yeah I can understand, sometimes a player will just either lose intrest in a game or just get tired of it eventually.

Probably shouldn't have overdramaticized the whole trivial situation, even though I just wrote it like that as an, admitedly, tasteless form of humor. Even went so far as to use the current title instead of using "Is there something wrong with me?". Which thinking about it now, would have made more sense.

Should probably ask the mods to lock this thread now, However, I could rename the thread to "Games I onced loved, but one day their charm was lost"...or something less gay like "I loved ya...but things just ain't working out anymore." You know, in case someone else wants to share a game they adored but later grew bored of it.

Offline zombiefriend

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
    • IAmContent
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 03:50:34 AM
Here's my take: it's okay if you're bored with it, since Skyward Sword is coming.  :V

Although, I can understand the pain of being in love with a game to find you're not in love with it anymore. That's how I am with Metal Gear Solid 2. I wanted to play it out of nowhere a few months ago, and it'd been about 2 years since I played it. But I've played it SO many times, I already knew where every item was and what was about to happen. The magic just wasn't there. But I'll always remember the memories we shared together. <3

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 04:33:02 AM
I have the opposite problem; when I CAN'T remember where things were anymore, that's what upsets me.  It's fine if you can realistically 100% the game with a little combing (ie: Legends games), but something with more obscure stuff like Metroid Zero Mission, I go back to and the completionist/perfectionist in me gets pissed off at my memory.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Rayl

• The Missing Piece
  • Resistance Member
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 10:13:53 AM
I don't mind forgetting a few things but if i've forgotten how to get everything in Majora's Mask then god dammit i'm putting that down to amnesia  >8|

The couples mask quest for instance i once forgot about one part of the sequence which meant i had to do it all over again and boy did i get pissed off XD

Offline Ramzal

• B-Class Hunter
  • Don't sweat the technique.
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 06:17:53 PM
Or maybe--just maybe...since you've experienced the game already, the excitement has gone down. This is actually normal for gaming, namely as we get older. We play games that are epic adventures, but when we go back to them, we find ourselves yawning in much of surprise. Unless you are one of those gamers who thinks NES era was the best time for gaming period, and can't realize that time is over, leave it to rest, and recognize it's time to move on.

Offline MrBaryl

• A new Shooting Star.
  • B-Class Hunter
  • "Everything for you"
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 07:36:44 PM
I still enjoy doing Perfect Quickman stage, and I first played MM2 in emulator.

The problem is that games like Zelda don't give you much stuff to keep playing after you beat the game, that's why I haven't touched Phantom Hourglass in months.

Offline ZeroCracked

• Trapped In The 2000's
  • A-Class Hunter
  • 'Ya better pray to Martel one last time...
    • View Profile
    • My Chatango Chatpod From When I Was Still A Nooblet
Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 07:45:10 PM
All of you are pretty much right on spot. I myself haven't even had Twilight Princess a full year, but about 2 months back I 100%'d it and I haven't touched it since. What I do is that when I beat a game, I do two more files, one for speedrunning, and one for a three heart run. Keeps it interesting. I already finished OOT and I'm doing Three Heart now, and I'm enjoying it even though I didn't like OOT that much.

Actually, to be truthful, it's overrated. BUT I'M GOING OFF TOPIC.

My prescription, beat the game, 100% it, don't touch it for a few months, maybe half a year, then sell it when you're ready. In that order. That's how I do it anyways.

Courage is the Magic that turns Dreams into Reality.

I learned that all things explode in slowmotion if you punch them hard enough.

You may have to be on fire for that to happen, though.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 10:44:59 PM
I never sell my games.  I'm not willing to trust that I won't EVER want to revisit them, even if it's rare.

It's true that with longer, more cinematic games, sometimes once the surprise is gone you just don't want to let them dominate your life for another few weeks (guess that's why we like MegaMan).  All the same, I've found a few exceptions.  Twilight Princess is one that I don't mind replaying, since I positively love Midna.  Same for the Radiance/Dawn Fire Emblem games, since there are a ton of characters in those that I got attached to.

But then there are games like Mario Galaxy or Metroid Prime, that while positively epic, are just too damn long for what really should be a pick-up-and-play experience.  Sure, you'll want to revisit your favorite moments, and God willing either the game will allow that or you were wise with the save file copies (I can't tell you how many times I kick myself for saving AFTER I defeated Meta Ridley in my 100% file), but the thought of actually starting over from scratch is just a curse (why oh why can MP Trilogy not read previous version saves?).
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 01:31:31 AM by Hypershell »

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 12:54:04 AM
The only game I sold in my life was a game I had no intention of ever playing and felt I was cheated by its purchase.

Otherwise, I've never sold a game before. I feel they are re-visitable experiences, and on top of that, they help me to look back and research in my own game design.

I probably should have sold KOFXII. I felt very cheated on that purchase as well.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)