Keiji Inafune leaves Capcom (UPDATE)

kosmos · 63408

Offline KudosForce

• The wild card
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Will our future be good? Only the cards will tell.
    • View Profile
Reply #75 on: October 30, 2010, 04:08:29 AM
I dunno about everyone else, but I think this article might put the worrying to rest:

http://www.themmnetwork.com/2010/10/29/mega-man-projects-still-carrying-on/

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #76 on: October 30, 2010, 04:15:14 AM
Well that's a relief. But still, a new Mega Man game is gonna feel a bit weird without Inafune around for a while, as if X6 wasn't an example of that.

Aresian

Reply #77 on: October 30, 2010, 04:37:10 AM
Hahaha... that is hilarious to me, because I bet if you hadn't heard about this and played a new Megaman game, you wouldn't even notice there was no Inafune until AFTER the credits.

Just my two cents.

Offline Superjustinbros

• It's me.
  • Resistance Member
  • Something
    • View Profile
    • Super Justin: The Blog
Reply #78 on: October 30, 2010, 04:57:09 AM
I'm sad to hear such a terrible thing. Really. I am. ;^;

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #79 on: October 30, 2010, 05:34:33 AM
Well that's a relief. But still, a new Mega Man game is gonna feel a bit weird without Inafune around for a while, as if X6 wasn't an example of that.
It isnt. X7 and 8 are more of an example of that. X6 was made by the X5 team. Which did a pretty good job there. (faults aside).

Personally Id like to see a return to the pre-X8 X formula of gameplay. X8 was nice, but a few of the "innovations" it made were really weird and some just plain bad ideas.

Also, a Successful full 3D game would be nice.

Hay, maybe they should send Megaman over to Mercury Steam? 8D They seem to have done pretty good with reinventing Castlevania in 3D. XD

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #80 on: October 30, 2010, 06:16:18 AM

Most, if not possibly all of the original people who were responsible for many of the classic Capcom games we loved from our youth? They've long since left Capcom. Akira Nishitani, the original creator of SF2? Long since gone, he's at Arika now. Same could be said for Noritaka Funamizu (planner for a number of Capcom's arcade hits, like the Street Fighter Alpha series, and the Marvel vs. Capcom games) and a number of others who left Capcom a few years to found the company Craft & Meister. But I didn't see people crying when THEY left. They're still looking forward to the likes of SF4 and MvC3, completely ignorant that most of the original people who made those original games are no longer involved.

Hell, even recently, most people seem to loved Devil May Cry unconditionally (at least until DmC...), and the original director, Hideki Kamiya, and his team haven't been a part of the series since the first game.

So, yeah, I don't see why some people are at some sort of moral crossroads now that the "father of Rockman" is gone. If there's anything that can be gleaned from everything else that Capcom has done in these last few years, it's that whether their brands live or die, it's really up to Capcom in the end. 

Also, a Successful full 3D game would be nice.

...Why do we need a 3D X game, when DASH basically has had "Mega Man in 3D" on lock in the first place? 8D

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #81 on: October 30, 2010, 06:39:21 AM
This sucks hard.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #82 on: October 30, 2010, 07:24:35 AM
...Why do we need a 3D X game, when DASH basically has had "Mega Man in 3D" on lock in the first place?
Because Capcom needs to show they ARE able to bring the formula and flavor of the X series to 3D. legends is legends.:P

Posted on: October 30, 2010, 12:06:37 AM
Im going to drop Servebot 20's comments on the matter here. I like the way he worded the matter.
http://kobun20.interordi.com/2010/10/29/a-busy-morning-for-mega-man

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #83 on: October 30, 2010, 03:20:55 PM
Hahaha... that is hilarious to me, because I bet if you hadn't heard about this and played a new Megaman game, you wouldn't even notice there was no Inafune until AFTER the credits.

Just my two cents.
It's hilarous to me because Inafune by his own words "had very little to do with X5".  As said above, the same team worked on both X5 and X6.

I'm further amazed that fans still need to be told that.  Regardless of their overall quality (I for one think X6 is well beyond X5, though I know many believe the opposite), there are more than a few similar design trends which set them apart from X1-4.

Personally Id like to see a return to the pre-X8 X formula of gameplay. X8 was nice, but a few of the "innovations" it made were really weird and some just plain bad ideas.
I don't mind X8's gameplay style in the least (besides Crystal Wall being Rush Search X, anyway), but I will say that it could use a new can of paint.  Besides my general distaste for Yoshikawa's robot art, the in-game visuals show quite a bit of laziness.  The character models are poorly detailed and X's armor was clearly designed to cut corners on his mugshots (and MHX was even worse on both counts).

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #84 on: October 30, 2010, 04:33:09 PM
Man, sometimes I'd like to put myself as a Mega Man fan into questioning.. :<

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #85 on: October 30, 2010, 05:04:12 PM
I don't mind X8's gameplay style in the least (besides Crystal Wall being Rush Search X, anyway), but I will say that it could use a new can of paint.  Besides my general distaste for Yoshikawa's robot art, the in-game visuals show quite a bit of laziness.  The character models are poorly detailed and X's armor was clearly designed to cut corners on his mugshots (and MHX was even worse on both counts).

I meant more along the lines that with EVERYTHING being buyable from the shop, the stages had very little replay value. Why back in my day, things like Subtanks were found in stages. And power up parts often were too. (well, with scattered reploids to rescue)

It just bothered me that everything was buyable. It was just too easy to tank out the protagonists. Especially with how easy it is to rake up Metals. (I mean BESIDES the glitch)

if you ask me, Z4 did the parts thing in an interesting way. you needed enemy parts. the right ones too. And then Ceratanium.

It really surprises me that the previews for the game show a nice cell shaded border around the characters, which suddenly disappeared down the line. X8's models looked very angular... I mean, even X7 had better models than X8. :\ (once again, enhanced by the cell shading on them)

Also, please dont tempt me into helmet bitching over X8 and MHX, pleeeease... D:

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #86 on: October 30, 2010, 05:19:22 PM
I won't temp you.

The helmets were fine after all!

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #87 on: October 30, 2010, 05:35:16 PM
Must... resist... DX

Offline KudosForce

• The wild card
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #88 on: October 30, 2010, 05:38:26 PM
Man, sometimes I'd like to put myself as a Mega Man fan into questioning.. :<

On my end, I have to put myself as Mega Man X fan into questioning...:\ How could I possibly enjoy that series with all this uncertainty over translated terms and whatnot?

Luckily, I can always blissfully enjoy the Classic Mega Man series, warts and all. 8) Though, I need to get around to collecting the Legends series...

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #89 on: October 30, 2010, 07:20:43 PM
IMHO Classic suffers more translation issues than X.  In the NES days there was simply no attempt made at consistency.  A great deal of information was stated out-of-game and not carried over, which led to a lot of what we thought we knew being completely wrong.  I generally just avoid any plot discussions prior to MM8, my head hurts less that way.

I meant more along the lines that with EVERYTHING being buyable from the shop, the stages had very little replay value. Why back in my day, things like Subtanks were found in stages. And power up parts often were too. (well, with scattered reploids to rescue)
Well, the requirement of finding "New Metals" in the stages to unlock several of them would have fixed that, but again, my issue is the fact that finding them often boils down to Crystal Walling some invisible hiding place.  Exploration is one thing, wasting time and weapon energy on dumb luck is another.  I always, always hated the core idea of Rush Search, and the charged Crystal Wall merely mimicks that.

That whole thing is why I keep an, otherwise complete, armorless Clear file.  Collect the capsules, forget the shop.  Works wonders for the replay value.

I don't object to "currency" in an X game (Xtreme2 being my favorite title and all), and I'd dare say that X8 improved upon it greatly with the whole Intermission "bonus stage" shpiel.  But the item pickups still need to coexist with it, and X8's item pickups, while present, weren't handled particularly well.  Also, it might have helped if the "You Found A New Metal!" message was delivered at the stage results instead of interrupting gameplay.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #90 on: October 30, 2010, 08:42:58 PM
One thing I noticed also was that the majority of X's weapons could only be used while grounded. Thats no good.[/sonic]

Offline KudosForce

• The wild card
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #91 on: October 30, 2010, 09:23:42 PM
IMHO Classic suffers more translation issues than X.  In the NES days there was simply no attempt made at consistency.  A great deal of information was stated out-of-game and not carried over, which led to a lot of what we thought we knew being completely wrong.  I generally just avoid any plot discussions prior to MM8, my head hurts less that way.

Sure, but owning the Complete Works art book for the Classic series allows me to get some of that missing info, so I try not to show too much concern for story details and inaccuracies. Besides, if everything was explained in-game, you wouldn't use imagination to interpret things.

Of course, with the Classic series, you're not really expected to think about the story; you get a brief synopsis, (and, occasionally, mandatory quick plot twist cut-scenes) you pick up the controller and start blasting things. When it comes to classic gameplay in the vein of Mario (old-school), Final Fight, Metroid, Sonic (old-school) and so forth, a worthy challenge and great enjoyment are what matters the most, along with the assurance of good game quality.

Of course, one could say that GB V, MM7, 8, MM&B, 9 and 10 kinda missed the point, on the "get on with it!" front...

Aresian

Reply #92 on: October 30, 2010, 11:38:59 PM
Wouldn't it be NICE though if ALL that info was in game? Ya know, IN THE GAME? I prefer my information to be in the game, either through the normal avenues or a [tornado fang]ing Glossary. That is why the idea was devised, because you can't always present info in the story readily.

It gives you something to read and puts lazy writers to work, someone can write this [parasitic bomb]. They have people there that have the time. No excuses.

That said... Story > Gameplay. The gameplay has been done before a million times. Thats cool though, that is a part of Megaman's charm. The gaming is goooood. But, it can be so much more.

This topic is going in other directions I don't care for though, so that will be my two cents.

Offline Ramzal

• B-Class Hunter
  • Don't sweat the technique.
    • View Profile
Reply #93 on: October 31, 2010, 02:10:13 AM
"Keiji Inafune leaves Capcom"

So? Capcom existed before he was first hired and it will exist afterward.

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #94 on: October 31, 2010, 02:13:00 AM
So? Capcom existed before he was first hired and it will exist afterward.

Yes, however, the point of the thread is about him leaving.  Not whether or not Capcom will fold due to his leaving o.o

Offline Ramzal

• B-Class Hunter
  • Don't sweat the technique.
    • View Profile
Reply #95 on: October 31, 2010, 02:08:34 AM
I dunno. I'm greatful for the work he's done. But sooner or later, everyone moves on. He's done good work, so rather than being sad about it, it's best to be glad he's moving on at the peak of his career, and to be glad for him.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #97 on: November 02, 2010, 02:39:33 PM
*shakes head* Inafune doesn't seem to realize that a lot of the problems that he mentioned are a problem industry-wide, and aren't solely a problem of the Japanese industry. The way he seems to view western devs is more of them in their ideal state, however that ideal state is far from being applicable to all the companies out there. I do wish him luck in trying to change the industry, even if it's more as a whole rather than just the Japanese section as he seems to think at the moment.

Offline Girla PurpleHeart

• Sailor Eris
  • B-Class Hunter
  • ~Midna's True Guardian And Duchess of Twilight~
    • View Profile
    • PurpleHeart Palace
Reply #98 on: November 03, 2010, 01:17:12 AM
Yeah, I read about that interview, and I agreed that what he just said. The problem with Capcom is that they were ignoring his wishes of his products that he did. For example: Megaman X5 was supposed to be the last X series, but Capcom decided to create X6 without his knowledge, which causing the media franchise to go downhill.

In most cases, I will wish him luck with his new company, and I hope Capcom doesn't messed up with the Megaman Legends 3 like what Sega did to Sonic the Hedgehog series, because I'm really worried about the future of Megaman franchise.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #99 on: November 03, 2010, 02:35:10 AM
Damn, that interview was amazing. That WAS a fascinating read.

Inafune really deserves the slow clap for his views and his determination to change what is essentially a huge problem in his eyes.

So... Should we start guessing what names Inafune could possibly come up with once he starts his own company? (which is inevitable.)