Why does everyone hate Mega Man X6?

Waifu · 98619

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: October 19, 2010, 01:54:37 AM
Tell that to ZX Advent.  At least in X7 you actually do get to play as X, as opposed to having Axl transform into X.

He's also insanely powerful, so there is some justification to his delayed entry.  Being unavoidable and carrying over into New Game Plus, I consider the whole thing a nonissue.  X's dialogue in X7 disturbs me far more than his availability could ever hope to.

X isn't the main character in the ZX series, from my understanding. Vent & Aile are, followed by Grey & Ashe.

Insane power does not justify having to unlock him or use save data. Blues is insanely powerful in MM:PU and you have to unlock him, but he is not the main character of the series (even though he should be XD). Not to mention, you unlock him outside of the actual game, in challenges or by the later download if you do it the pussy way. It's an issue of principle. Stupid, yes, considering it's a video game. However, after actually being forced to play the game, I see that I missed absolutely nothing.

Offline borockman

• Super avatar painter in training
  • Legendary Hero
  • DONALD ANGRY! DONALD SMASH!!
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: October 19, 2010, 02:06:18 AM
I actually like X6 a lot. I never really care about the story (it's in Japanese and I wasn't good with English at that time).

But the music is the main thing I love about it, especially the ending credit song.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87T5NpWv9ns[/youtube]

([tornado fang] I just love this song I dunno why)

... Also Shadow armor FTW.

Proud member of Indigo tribe!

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #27 on: October 19, 2010, 02:08:55 AM
I'm partial to The Answer myself.  Actually, I like both of the X6 openers, but Soul Eraser commercials may have swayed me a bit. 8)

X isn't the main character in the ZX series, from my understanding. Vent & Aile are, followed by Grey & Ashe.
Point missed.

I was referring to the title character.  X is to the X-series as Model ZX is to the ZX series.  And we have a ZX game in which you cannot, EVER, play as MegaMan Model ZX.  You can only A-Trans it.  Not acceptable.

I think Advent's a great game, but I'm just saying, the title/player conflict is a lot worse there than in X7.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: October 19, 2010, 02:40:30 AM
Without Z saber
I said Icy hell because.... its hell but icy
Cheap Z-buster is just a little "flaw" its able to kill necro sigma is 6 hits

I dont suck....  :(

and I suppose you play better?   -_-

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: October 19, 2010, 02:45:13 AM
He beats the whole game with unarmored X, so I'd say yes.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: October 19, 2010, 04:20:21 AM
*post*

heres a tip:

If you were playing as Armorless X (for some reason) to pass that "leap of faith" section, dash jump off the wall, them use Blaze Saber, then switch To Ground Dash and repeat until you get to the other side.

How is a broken buster a BAD thing? it has increased range and power, and at least doesnt re-use X4's stock charge sprite for the shot. In a game like X6, having an "unlockable" Zero with broken moves is just the way it is. you can choose to take your time and learn the layouts and strategize with X, making the final victory that much more sweet, Or fight Nightmare Zero, Unlock Zero, and just tank through the game as him with Ensuizan and the Z buster. Not to mention his saber cancel works MUCH better with his first slash being an across horizontal sweeping slash as opposed to his previous (and X's) overhead swing.
Cheap Z-buster is just a little "flaw" its able to kill necro sigma is 6 hits
His saber alone can kill Sigma Though... Not that it takes much to begin with

Also, Really? Nightmare Zero? Hard? Someone missed the memo on his weakness and abusable AI.
Without Z saber
Hes still easy. Abusable AI and pretty simple, predictable pattern. The most random thing he will do is that buster spazz move.
Gate's weakness was actually really innovative. he's so powerful that you cannot damage him- So do the next best thing- use his own weapons against him!

the rock -> Fire thing is actually very easy to understand. Rock could be considered an "earth" type element. And as we all know, you can smother fires with dirt/sand.

Sheldon's stage is only a joke if you ignore the alternate route. Which... Is still [acid burst] easy, but at least is closer to typical stage length.

Also, heres a tip to counter your tip. You dont need Heatnix's weapon for that. Not even an armor either. Just Jumper. Do you never pay attention to Hypershell constantly mentioning the fact?

I dont suck....  :(

and I suppose you play better?   -_-
your complaints say otherwise.

Ihe sure can. And Im pretty certain i can too. X6 is pretty easy.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: October 19, 2010, 04:54:47 AM
Point missed.

I was referring to the title character.  X is to the X-series as Model ZX is to the ZX series.  And we have a ZX game in which you cannot, EVER, play as MegaMan Model ZX.  You can only A-Trans it.  Not acceptable.

I think Advent's a great game, but I'm just saying, the title/player conflict is a lot worse there than in X7.

If that's your point, there's a flaw.

The second game is called ZXA, not ZX2. With the A there, it still works, if you are going by title.

Also, there's a total difference. X is the main character of the series. He is the main protagonist. Model ZX is not to the ZX series as X is to the X series, because Model ZX is not the protagonist. Vent & Aile are, and in ZXA, Grey & Ashe are. It's similar to Metroid, in which you go through the game unlocking parts & weapons of Samus' suit. But you don't have to unlock Samus herself.

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #32 on: October 19, 2010, 05:10:30 AM
I'm only just noticing this topic now, and going by the title without reading the first post or any other post.

I don't know a lot of people who hate X6, personally it's one of my preferred X titles.
So where all the haters at?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: October 19, 2010, 05:44:54 AM
If that's your point, there's a flaw.

The second game is called ZXA, not ZX2. With the A there, it still works, if you are going by title.
Except there is no "Model (A)dvent"

Still it carries the ZX name, and one expects to PLAY as ZX, not a copy.

Also, there's a total difference. X is the main character of the series. He is the main protagonist. Model ZX is not to the ZX series as X is to the X series, because Model ZX is not the protagonist. Vent & Aile are, and in ZXA, Grey & Ashe are. It's similar to Metroid, in which you go through the game unlocking parts & weapons of Samus' suit. But you don't have to unlock Samus herself.
Think of it this way- like Samus without the arm cannon. Model ZX is the titular Model, I should be able to play it, not copy it.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #34 on: October 19, 2010, 05:47:21 AM
There is a Model A though, just like there was Model ZX in ZX.

That, and I think Advent was more referring to the story than the actual model.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: October 19, 2010, 06:01:18 AM
Except there is no "Model (A)dvent"

Still it carries the ZX name, and one expects to PLAY as ZX, not a copy.

Fair enough about the Advent thing. My apologies.

Think of it this way- like Samus without the arm cannon. Model ZX is the titular Model, I should be able to play it, not copy it.

My point was more about characters. Model ZX is not the main character. It is the main Model, main R.O.C.K. ON, but it is not the main character. My point still stands. You could feasibly make a Metroid game in which you play as Zero Suit Samus, and play without the Arm Cannon. I'm not saying it would be good, or even that smart of a move (although I think the drooling fans would probably love it anyway), but I'd still find it more acceptable than being forced to play as someone completely different to unlock Samus herself, Suit or no Suit.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: October 19, 2010, 06:30:09 AM
I was originally going to say "Like a metroid game without metroids"... but... its not like that isnt too strange.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: October 19, 2010, 06:51:14 AM
Well, even in Metroid Fusion they had to put the metroids somewhere :D
Also, I'm surprised that this many people like that game...

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: October 19, 2010, 10:44:16 PM
Nightmare Zero spasms are funny  >0<

He's already dead! what should I do? I cant stop!  ;^;

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: October 20, 2010, 02:37:38 AM
So what I'm hearing then is that such a maneuver would have been perfectly acceptable in Rockman X Cyber Mission?

Nope, not buying that.  "Advent" in "ZX Advent" has no character ties (Flame beat me to that particular punch).

And besides, "ZXA" over "ZX2" means one thing and one thing only: Marketing.  Somebody at Capcom thought that forgoing the numbered sequel would make the game less intimidating to newbies; that's pretty much it.

Also, there's a total difference. X is the main character of the series. He is the main protagonist. Model ZX is not to the ZX series as X is to the X series, because Model ZX is not the protagonist. Vent & Aile are, and in ZXA, Grey & Ashe are.

You're adding ambiguity where I specified otherwise.  "Model" can refer to a character or a Biometal, but "MegaMan" specifically denotes the character.  My previous post read, "...you cannot, ever, play as MegaMan Model ZX."

"Vent and Aile *ARE* "MegaMan Model ZX", term coined by Prometheus.  He continues to refer to them as such throughout ZX's lategame as well as the Gigamix drama.  In light of that fact, Vent and Aile remain the title protagonists.  The name could be passed on, yes, but that's an irrelevant hypothetical scenario; it never actually happened.  Grey and Ashe never adopted that title.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: October 20, 2010, 02:40:11 AM
How is a broken buster a BAD thing? it has increased range and power, and at least doesnt re-use X4's stock charge sprite for the shot.

Maybe to the untrained eye there would be no noticeable difference. True, the shots both use a blue base with a golden shock wave running along the outside, but they're entirely different sprites!

http://www.sprites-inc.co.uk/files/X/X4/Wep/x4StockChargeBusterShots.png
http://www.sprites-inc.co.uk/files/X/X5/WepZ/x5zerobuster.gif

I think this says it all. Zero's X5 buster shot is a lot smaller. It is clear they didn't reuse any portion of the stock shot for Zero's buster!

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: October 20, 2010, 02:47:36 AM

Double-check your sheets, Objection Man.  While the shots themselves are unique, the "discharge" effect is very much copy/pasted from the Stock Charge.  In the X5 Z-Buster sheet, compare the first five frames, as well as the rings on the sixth (that's actually two objects overlapping, I believe), to X's equivalents; they're identical.

Same thing happens across a great many of X's armors (pretty much all but Blade and the aforementioned Stock Charge), but we expect that from him since it's the same character merely using different upgrades.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: October 20, 2010, 02:51:22 AM
Bad choice of words. OK, they didn't reuse the entire thing. Fixed.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: October 20, 2010, 05:04:37 AM
So what I'm hearing then is that such a maneuver would have been perfectly acceptable in Rockman X Cyber Mission?

Nope, not buying that.  "Advent" in "ZX Advent" has no character ties (Flame beat me to that particular punch).

And besides, "ZXA" over "ZX2" means one thing and one thing only: Marketing.  Somebody at Capcom thought that forgoing the numbered sequel would make the game less intimidating to newbies; that's pretty much it.

Could've sworn I already admitted my error with ZXA... LOL, and as for what you're hearing, I have NO idea, cause judging by the Cyber Mission post, you're not listening at all. You brought up the title thing with ZX. I have CLEARLY stated time and time again that I find it unacceptable for X, the main character of his series, having to be unlocked in his own series. So why you would think I'd find it acceptable in Rockman X Cyber Mission is mindboggling, title or not.

You're adding ambiguity where I specified otherwise.  "Model" can refer to a character or a Biometal, but "MegaMan" specifically denotes the character.  My previous post read, "...you cannot, ever, play as MegaMan Model ZX."

"Vent and Aile *ARE* "MegaMan Model ZX", term coined by Prometheus.  He continues to refer to them as such throughout ZX's lategame as well as the Gigamix drama.  In light of that fact, Vent and Aile remain the title protagonists.  The name could be passed on, yes, but that's an irrelevant hypothetical scenario; it never actually happened.  Grey and Ashe never adopted that title.

LoL, I'm adding ambiguity? NOW you've specified this fact with the characters. Before you didn't, and just said that one thing.

However, yes. If this is the case with the characters, then yes, it is bad to a degree. Be that as it may, the X7 scenario is still worse, IMO. ZXA is still only the second game in the series, and from what I understand, despite the title, Grey/Ashe, via Model A, is the main protagonist of this game. I don't know much about the ZXA storyline, so if I'm wrong then I apologize. However, it's not like this is that deep into the series, like say the 7th-9th game, in which it's already been clearly established early on that X is the main character. For all we know with the future ZX games, they'll have new protagonists, for the series is still young.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: October 20, 2010, 05:09:06 AM
Actually, given that its only the second game and already its happening- id say that makes it a bit worse than X7, where its already 7 games in that they tried it.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: October 20, 2010, 05:14:57 AM
This is why I said, IMO. It just my own personal opinion. I think it's worse to do it with established characters in a long running series with many, many games, rather than characters only one game in. Like I've said before, to me, it's the equivalent of doing it with Samus in the Metroid series.

Offline Hiryu

• Capcom's Favorite futuristic ninja
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: October 20, 2010, 06:26:53 AM
Huh, I thought he was a mininopo-whatever he was. The more you know.

I think that's correct too. I called him Infinity Flea because I read it in a FAQ once, and people say that he's a water flea.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: October 20, 2010, 07:21:22 PM
he might be one, but its not his name. Not even the Japanese name.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #48 on: October 20, 2010, 07:33:03 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, aren't all of X6's Mavericks named the same in the US as in Japan?

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: October 20, 2010, 07:41:00 PM
I thought the X6 names were pretty cool actually.