Why does everyone hate Mega Man X6?

Waifu · 98601

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
on: October 17, 2010, 03:27:54 PM
I do agree that the game needed to be worked on a few places and the levels could had been designed way better but it is quality game and it gave us a proper ending to Zero's story. Or it would be a proper enidng if Capcom didn't screw it up for us by bringing back Zero in X7.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 03:53:28 PM
I don't hate it. In fact I prefer it over X5-4.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 03:57:19 PM
It was never a "Zero ending" they didnt screw anything up. His ending does not take place right after the game. It takes place some time in the future.
Of course, that is another thing X6 could have specified better.

I like X6. I like it above X5, (though X5 is a nostalgiatrip) and about on par with X4.

Some of the levels were just bad, (theres no excuse for Heatnix's stage) but others were just challenging.

X6. The game that is always challenging no matter how many times you play it.

Unfortunately, most of the 8 bosses are [acid burst] easy. Only Mijinion is any real threat.

People hate it because they need to suck less and be less butthurt about the fact.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 04:10:04 PM
I don't like because it was boring, hard and the boss fights were no fun.
I don't like X5 aswell, X4 is meh...

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 05:22:59 PM
People hate X6 because of it's extreme level designs.

like how X has that "Leap of faith" section in Gate's laboratory

another reason why is that X5 was going to be the last game, but they made X6

Offline GP Aznable

• King of the hill
  • A-Class Hunter
  • I'm the REAL Woodman, foo!
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 05:43:46 PM
Well, it's story might suck but it's a fun game for me.

Too bad that those bosses are pushovers. They could use some more complex patterns.

Eat, or be eaten...

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 06:48:11 PM
Well, it's story might suck but it's a fun game for me.

Too bad that those bosses are pushovers. They could use some more complex patterns.

Gate can be a real dick.

Him and his stupid energy balls that hit himself

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 08:31:24 PM
Anybody that thinks X6's story sucks needs to get over the shoddy translation; X6 has what is probably the best story in the series.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 08:51:54 PM
Anybody that thinks X6's story sucks needs to get over the shoddy translation; X6 has what is probably the best story in the series.

Not to mention tons of awesome music.

I love X6, Personally. X5 is OK, I don't really care for X4.

Offline MrBaryl

• A new Shooting Star.
  • B-Class Hunter
  • "Everything for you"
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 08:52:26 PM
I wouldn't call it the best but It's fairly nice, also the levels were ultra-challenging (Turtloid, Metal shark, Heatnix, Wolfang, Gate's lab was merciless) plus it has the best music in the X series.
I love X6, beats X4 and is way more fun than X3.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 03:30:11 AM
X6 is the the deepest of any of the X games before it. we had a REAL Antagonist, with REAL motivations and desires. Gate is one of the better fleshed out villains. And sensei put thought into his design. Wasnt Gate his favorite? he was sad when he found out he wasnt going to be in another game

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 04:21:01 AM
"One of" his favorites, yes (MMXOCW, page 57).

Of course, that is another thing X6 could have specified better.
Perhaps, but Capcom's guilty of the same thing when it comes to explaining Sigma's demise.  In both X5 and X8 they failed to do so properly.  For that matter they also failed to kill Zero properly in X5.  Boss explosion?  Seriously?  In general I'll take X-series over Zero-series any day, but Inticreates DEFINITELY one-upped them on that one.

X6 is my favorite main-series X game, no doubt.  It fixed a great deal of what was wrong with X5 (parts system, ranking system, player-specific availability of power-ups, linear armor setup, Zero's moronic boss AI), and its core level design is among the deepest the series has seen.  There's a slight touch of "Metroidvania" in it as nearly every stage forks and near every impass has multiple solutions, allowing greater leeway for individual play style.  There's an insane level of power-ups to collect, and at the same time, an equally insane number of enemy mobs to plow through, providing a greater sense of scope to the fight through each stage than any other MegaMan game.  You're powerful enough to take on gigantic masses without having to tip-toe through them, but at the same time can't afford to get too careless, an excellent balance.

At the same time, I can see why the game isn't a crowd-pleaser.  The enemies and levels provide a far more head-scratching experience than MegaMan is known for, and the series in general is already considered difficult by non-fans.  When players are greeted by shoddy localization and some admittedly low-grade boss sprite work, it's easier for them to simply dismiss the game as broken and give up.  The Nightmare System is more often than not an annoyance, particularly in regards to the complete inability to return a stage to its neutral state.

I often refer to X6 as being to Mega Man what the Lost Levels are to Mario.  They reek of low development time, they're tough as nails, they're exceptionally rewarding for those players who are up to the challenge, but they're also not the best way to win over new or less dedicated fans.

I love X6 to death, and I maintain that the majority of players who complain about its allegedly "impossible" segments simply gave up too easily.  I have completely lost count of the number of times I've had to correct people on what the bare minimum requirements are for any given obstacle.  I can see why its not a very approachable game, but at the same time, I'm glad that Capcom threw the (for lack of a better term) "hardcore" fans a bone, because it was freaking awesome.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 04:21:48 AM
X6 had a great story, but damn were there a ton of level and design blunders. Compressors, inconsistent graphics, rushed localization, not to mention Zero's suicide dive. The list goes on and on.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 04:46:01 AM
I enjoyed the game myself but Blizzard Wolfang's and Blaze Heatnix's levels are just  >_< while Ground Scaravich's level is just  o-O.

Offline MrBaryl

• A new Shooting Star.
  • B-Class Hunter
  • "Everything for you"
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 05:50:41 AM
I enjoyed the game myself but Blizzard Wolfang's and Blaze Heatnix's levels are just  >_< while Ground Scaravich's level is just  o-O.
I think Capcom weakened Heatnix on purpose, I mean his stage was hardcore and I was expecting the boss to be the same.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 09:14:48 AM
I honestly found the dive to not be a problem. I rarely NEED it anyway, what with Zero's broken Buster and his saber doing a good chunk of damage too.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 10:14:00 AM
I hate X7, not X6!  8)

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 01:28:33 PM
I hate X7, not X6!  8)
Unlocking the main character in his own series... such shenanigans.

Anywho, I don't hate X6. Some elements could really stand to have been better though, such as level design, general design (for example armours could have been better, blade in particular) and some control issues (you know exactly what I mean by this).

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 10:40:48 PM
A couple of X6 flaws:

Necroposting Sigma  8D (sorry I just had to)
Zero's ultra cheap Z Buster
Blizard Wolfang's stage is icy hell
Heat Pheonix's stage is a survival course (literally)
Gate's weakness is stupid
Heat Pheonix's weakness is stupid
Ground Scravich is easy to kill
Level designs are ridicously hard
Shield shelldon's stage is fairly easy
Nightmare Zero is hard to kill with armor less X
Rock beats Fire for some reason  o~O
X's gate stage has the "leap of faith"
"leap of faith" is impossible with shadow and armor less X

heres a tip:

If you were playing as Armorless X (for some reason) to pass that "leap of faith" section, dash jump off the wall, them use Blaze Saber, then switch To Ground Dash and repeat until you get to the other side.

Offline Hiryu

• Capcom's Favorite futuristic ninja
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 11:13:41 PM
This is one of the Megaman games I will most likely not play again. It's not bad, but Infinity Flea is a pain to kill, and the 1st and 2nd gate stages are annoying to get through. This makes me hesistant to play it again.

EDIT: Oh yea, and Metal Shark Player's stage.  >_<  -AC
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 06:23:00 AM by Hiryu »

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: October 18, 2010, 11:32:12 PM
Why are we making up names for the Irregulars?

Offline UrielManX7

• Maverick Hunter Rank A
  • Robot Master
  • Justice will always win
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 11:32:19 PM
I think the main reason above all is its difficulty, most people dont enjoy a game if it beats the [parasitic bomb] out of them.
The game its ok but i think X5 has a better story (in fact the best ending of all megaman games).
Personally my favorite X game is X3  XD.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 11:45:43 PM
A couple of X6 flaws:

Necroposting Sigma  8D (sorry I just had to)
Rock beats Fire for some reason  o~O

Rock beats fire in Pokemon. lol? Zero's Gate stage was the worst for me (or whichever has Metal Shark Player's X Pancake Maker of Death) I would have to agree that Ground Scravich is pathetic, even on Extreme mode. Commander Yanmark is pretty easy, too (expect in Extreme mode where he as this danmaku / bullet hell attack that's almost impossible for me to dodge). Gate will always be a punk-ass in the X series for me because of weakness. (Seriously, why I can't I just spam Nova Strike with Ultimate Armor and get it over with?)

Hey, you forgot Necroposting Dynamo.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #23 on: October 18, 2010, 11:58:57 PM
Infinity Flea

Huh, I thought he was a mininopo-whatever he was. The more you know.

I had no problem with Infinity's stage, people were being babies about it because of the huge gaps and wires you had to cross. But the nightmares made it annoying, I wish there was a gameshark or somethin' to have them rescued already before the start of the stage. >.>

Heatnix's was more of trial-n'-error, But alas, himself, the sub-bosses, and the enemies were easy to avoid. Try doing this in Web Spider's stage in X4 (I had NO freaking clue to trigger Spidey's weakness button when Twin Slasher connects, arrgh).

Ground Scarvitch: Annoying stage, dissapointing boss battle, but eh.

Well, the oppisite can be said for Wolfang without his weakness weapon.

Others are BLAH. Though, the music's badass, especially the Japanese rock they offered us. Plus it was a good break from..well.. you know (had more annoyances with X4 than X5 and X6, mainly the boss' large attacks)..  -u-'

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #24 on: October 19, 2010, 01:36:38 AM
I honestly found the dive to not be a problem. I rarely NEED it anyway, what with Zero's broken Buster and his saber doing a good chunk of damage too.
It's less a matter of needing it and more a matter of activating it when you don't want to, particularly when trying to do battle from wires.  But yeah, you can just skip Skaravich if you're not as obsessive-compulsive as me; it's not as if his weapon is particularly useful.

But this is true: The Z-Buster and the Ensuizan are both freaking awesome.  Those two weapons alone can annihilate near anything.

Unlocking the main character in his own series... such shenanigans.
Tell that to ZX Advent.  At least in X7 you actually do get to play as X, as opposed to having Axl transform into X.

He's also insanely powerful, so there is some justification to his delayed entry.  Being unavoidable and carrying over into New Game Plus, I consider the whole thing a nonissue.  X's dialogue in X7 disturbs me far more than his availability could ever hope to.

A couple of X6 flaws:

Necroposting Sigma  8D (sorry I just had to)
Rock beats Fire for some reason  o~O
I find it refreshing to kick the baddie while he's down.
This is a bad thing?
You're surprised to see ice in an ice boss's stage?
Stop sucking.
Stop sucking.
And a scissors/boomerang combo defeating electricity makes any more sense?
Many games have their Top Man.
Stop sucking.
There is no pleasing you.
You have redefined "suck." (Seriously, NIGHTMARE ZERO?!!)
Redundant.
Stop sucking.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)