MegaMan Legends 3 is REAL, AND IT'S SPECTACULAR...LY IN 3-D

Jericho · 189954

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #600 on: October 24, 2010, 06:56:39 PM
I thought names had a factor in sales?

The effect of naming on sales cannot be proven. Especially since it was the quality of Rockmegaman2 that skyrocketed the series to popularity.

You're arguing the history of the terms, but their actual definitions and timeframes are unaltered. 

So I suppose by 21XX, the new word for Fourth is Force?

Cain's coining of that term originates in the U.S. (Cain's journal), later adopted by Japan with altered dates.  As such, "Maverick" is actually the original term in that context.  That actually serves to damage your point more than it does help it.

Touché. Nice call. Albeit, that just shows how the fanbase misconstrued a term simply because of real life etymology and definition. Making it deviate from what is meant to be. I just don't think Irregular quite carries the same implication as Maverick does, as with Decoy and Carbon. If anything, using the phrase Decoy sounds more antagonistic than using the phrase Carbon.

It's not that surprising as rather frequently the cause of Maverick behavior, or Irregularity, is unclear; even in Command Mission which is chronologically the latest entry of the X-series.  The context of the term was never as misleading as you're presenting.  In fact, quite the opposite, Maverick behavior against one's free will is frequently considered both by fans and in-game characters alike to be the norm.  Recall, if you will, that a great deal of X8's plot in addition to fan-based debates thereof center around that fact.

Somehow due to the nature of the term "Maverick", the fanbase had created the assumption that since Reploids by their creation are capable of free will they are thus able to become Maverick. Instead, with irregularity, the plotline itself carries the exact inverse assumption in that no Repliroid can become an irregular by choice.

Offline NEO Ness

• Purifier Unit
  • Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #601 on: October 26, 2010, 05:25:29 AM
I think this argument is pointless.  Its like arguing if Megaman/Rockman's real name is "Mega Man" or "Rock Man"

Look, both are right and wrong.  One's just the Japanese version and the other is the English version.

God, this is starting to sound like people bitching about "The English version of 'that' anime".

Posted on: October 25, 2010, 03:15:48

lol, 8-bit...

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #602 on: October 26, 2010, 05:49:49 AM
Cute. Real cute.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline KudosForce

• The wild card
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Will our future be good? Only the cards will tell.
    • View Profile
Reply #603 on: October 26, 2010, 12:43:48 PM
I don't know why, but this is somehow making some of the designs more tolerable. :3

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #604 on: October 26, 2010, 05:56:50 PM
...Damnit..too late

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #605 on: October 26, 2010, 05:59:30 PM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiofLnWKc8Y[/youtube]
I love Dashe's video right here~

It really sets the mood for the long wait for this game finally coming out soon. <3

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #606 on: October 26, 2010, 06:28:38 PM
I couldn't watch the whole thing...too funny and sad :D

Offline NEO Ness

• Purifier Unit
  • Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #607 on: October 26, 2010, 08:22:23 PM
Wow, that video was really deep for me.  Good job Dashe!

(Gah, wish I could find a girl who was that passionate about Mega Man near where I live... ;O;)

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #608 on: October 27, 2010, 01:25:05 AM
We all do, Neo.

I stumbled on that video the other night when I saw one of my YouTube buddies favorited it.  Awesome, and insanely cute. 8)

So I suppose by 21XX, the new word for Fourth is Force?
Force is a genuine translation error from the X5 manual that the fanbase takes in stride because it happens to sound cooler, not to mention it makes somewhat more sense in terms of etymology than the original term (the "4th Armor" is actually the 5th of the main-series, and 7th including side-games).

Evidently Udon does the same, though I wonder if they were less than clear on that matter.  It's possible that their use of Force is a result of the manual-over-in-game approach they used to dodge the GnR Maverick names (that part they make a note of).

Touché. Nice call. Albeit, that just shows how the fanbase misconstrued a term simply because of real life etymology and definition. Making it deviate from what is meant to be. I just don't think Irregular quite carries the same implication as Maverick does, as with Decoy and Carbon. If anything, using the phrase Decoy sounds more antagonistic than using the phrase Carbon.

Somehow due to the nature of the term "Maverick", the fanbase had created the assumption that since Reploids by their creation are capable of free will they are thus able to become Maverick. Instead, with irregularity, the plotline itself carries the exact inverse assumption in that no Repliroid can become an irregular by choice.
Alright, here's what I don't get: When did this happen?  When did the fanbase allege that Mavericks are automatically free-willed?  The Sigma Virus has been in the in-game spotlight ever since X3.

This is my main issue with your argument: You're taking the (exceedingly loose) literal implications of the term itself as overriding the abundantly clear context established within the games, both original and localized versions.  I have not seen this approach as being NEARLY as typical of the fanbase as you suggest.  Never have I seen the MegaMan fan who did not believe that Maverick behavior resulted from technical flaws such as viral infection; quite the opposite, I recall more than a few who outright refused to accept X8's statement that Sigma went Maverick of his own accord.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #609 on: October 27, 2010, 01:42:51 AM
That was such an awesome video. So true, and so sad.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #610 on: October 27, 2010, 10:18:55 PM
not to mention it makes somewhat more sense in terms of etymology than the original term (the "4th Armor" is actually the 5th of the main-series, and 7th including side-games).

The name was given because the recreation was based on the fourth armor X acquired. It does not make more sense to call it Force. Both itself and the two from the sidegames are not considered full fletched new armors.

Alright, here's what I don't get: When did this happen?  When did the fanbase allege that Mavericks are automatically free-willed?  The Sigma Virus has been in the in-game spotlight ever since X3.

This is my main issue with your argument: You're taking the (exceedingly loose) literal implications of the term itself as overriding the abundantly clear context established within the games, both original and localized versions.  I have not seen this approach as being NEARLY as typical of the fanbase as you suggest.  Never have I seen the MegaMan fan who did not believe that Maverick behavior resulted from technical flaws such as viral infection; quite the opposite, I recall more than a few who outright refused to accept X8's statement that Sigma went Maverick of his own accord.

When the entirety of the fanbase cried out over Lumine's words making no sense, reasoning that New Gens are nothing special for being able to go Maverick without the need for a virus, by their own will, because Reploids from the very beginning were created to have free will and thus could always go Maverick of their own accord.

Sigma's matter is a wholly separate outcry of that same time period, because at that time the idea that someone who was already infected could still be sane and have a will of its own, was not widespread.

See, the entire fanbase knows that Mavericks can be caused by glitches and the virus, but what is forgotten is that you can't technically be a Maverick by free will, because the definition is irregularity; to be a defect. Even among the New Gens this belief is held; they can not become irregulars, and Lumine only spoke of becoming Maverick by choice as an oversimplification using the same terms as the Hunters.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #611 on: October 28, 2010, 02:35:01 AM
The name was given because the recreation was based on the fourth armor X acquired. It does not make more sense to call it Force. Both itself and the two from the sidegames are not considered full fletched new armors.
I must disagree.  While you could potentially argue against Cyber Mission/Soul Eraser armors as Light tweaking the old parts (although I do not condone defining an armor by appearance rather than ability), Alia's recreation in X5 is by definition a separate piece of work from the original.  Her armor is a lie.

When the entirety of the fanbase cried out over Lumine's words making no sense, reasoning that New Gens are nothing special for being able to go Maverick without the need for a virus, by their own will, because Reploids from the very beginning were created to have free will and thus could always go Maverick of their own accord.
In all fairness, Vile's presence lends a lot of credit to that.  And then of course there is Sigma, since virus or no virus he remains the cause of it all.  One way or the other, the New Gens are bragging about something that first-generation Reploids did.  They simply have a higher occurance of it.

See, the entire fanbase knows that Mavericks can be caused by glitches and the virus, but what is forgotten is that you can't technically be a Maverick by free will, because the definition is irregularity; to be a defect.

First of all, the fact that any Reploid, ever, has been deliberately created as an Irregular makes that statement outright false.  There are organized, self-aware Irregulars/Mavericks and there are random, incoherent Irregulars/Mavericks.  The terms MUST encompass both scenarios, not one or the other.

And here is why I believe that "Irregular", should still be capitalized (Hey, we could have just called them mavericks instead of Mavericks, right?).  When you get that overly-literal, in either region, you lose the meaning of the term as the series actually presents it.  It is not merely a word but a label.  "Irregulars" are not simply defects, they are threats.  Grey is irregular, but is not Irregular.  Blues is irregular, but is not Irregular.

Second, you're making this a philosophical issue, by using the word "can't" and presenting your point as an absolute.  By stating that it is not physically possible for one to choose to be Irregular (this incidentally makes Weil's taunting Zero in Z4 meaningless), one simply echoes the same debate that exists about humanity.  The sentient being is seen as inherently good unless "flawed", by blueprint or by experience, resulting in evil.  If you work under this presupposition, then evil itself defines the flaw.  A non-viral Maverick MUST have a malfunctioning brain, or they wouldn't do bad things in the first place.  Vile may be seen as choosing to be Maverick, or he may be seen as malfunctioning.  The New Gens may be seen as choosing to be Maverick, or they may be seen as tainted.  Sigma may be seen as choosing to be Maverick, or he may be seen as insane.  Epsilon may be seen as holding Maverick ideals, or he may be seen as a victim of Force Metal erosion.

In all such cases, philosophy is the only difference; the reality is identical.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #612 on: October 28, 2010, 07:47:41 PM
I must disagree.  While you could potentially argue against Cyber Mission/Soul Eraser armors as Light tweaking the old parts (although I do not condone defining an armor by appearance rather than ability), Alia's recreation in X5 is by definition a separate piece of work from the original.  Her armor is a lie.

That would only be a problem if the X6 version of the X5 Armor would have been the Fifth Armor. But as is, Alia's recreation lends its name from the armor it is based on, not from the number it itself is. As such, neither XC, nor XS, are counted as separate armors to this number; whether the recreation itself does is anyone's guess.

In all fairness, Vile's presence lends a lot of credit to that.  And then of course there is Sigma, since virus or no virus he remains the cause of it all.  One way or the other, the New Gens are bragging about something that first-generation Reploids did.  They simply have a higher occurance of it.

From the viewpoint of the fans at that time, Vile from the very beginning was said to have a defect in the electronic brain. Likewise to Sigma turning evil by the Sigma Virus. Neither Vile, nor Sigma should have attributed to the widespread belief that all Reploids can become Maverick by their own accord. Somewhere along the line, the fan perception changed the original definition to one more revolving around free will, while it should be all about the defects. To me, the term  "Irregular" captures that part of the meaning much more than "Maverick" does, and I can't imagine that such a change did not influence our perception of these concepts, irregardless of the meaning defined in the actual story being the same.

First of all, the fact that any Reploid, ever, has been deliberately created as an Irregular makes that statement outright false.  There are organized, self-aware Irregulars/Mavericks and there are random, incoherent Irregulars/Mavericks.  The terms MUST encompass both scenarios, not one or the other.

It should be entirely possible to create Reploids with defects. And even if they aren't defected, they are grouped among them because of affiliation. That is still not free will; that is being forced inside of the boundaries of the human government's favorite anti-Reploid label. A label the New Generation opposed with the very statement that they cannot become "irregulars" as they have absolute viral immunity.

by using the word "can't" and presenting your point as an absolute.  By stating that it is not physically possible for one to choose to be Irregular (this incidentally makes Weil's taunting Zero in Z4 meaningless), one simply echoes the same debate that exists about humanity.  The sentient being is seen as inherently good unless "flawed", by blueprint or by experience, resulting in evil.

I said "technically". Whether one can become an irregular by choice is even disagreed upon among the New Generation. The majority vote is that they are not irregulars, even if they choose to rebel consciously. It is only Lumine and Sigma that used the Hunters' own terminology (in simplification mind you) and spoke of becoming an irregular of one's own accord. That is, accepting the label you've been given for your actions. However, even if you willingly accept the label, that still does not mean you can become "the definition" by choice. To become the definition, the only option is to choose to lose your sense of self by committing mental suicide through self-infection with the Sigma Virus, or damaging the thought circuit of your own accord.

Only in the time of Neo Arcadia, when the definition of Irregular has truly changed, does turning into an irregular by choice become a much more easily achieved possibility.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #613 on: October 28, 2010, 08:02:38 PM
To me, the term  "Irregular" captures that part of the meaning much more than "Maverick" does, and I can't imagine that such a change did not influence our perception of these concepts, irregardless of the meaning defined in the actual story being the same.

I thought most MMX fans saw "going Maverick/going Irregular" the same way and just used whichever term they preferred?

Also thought interpretation of similar terms was the least of anyone's MMX-fan-related problems. :/

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #614 on: October 28, 2010, 08:27:10 PM
As far as the label Irregular or Maverick goes, I don't think it really ever applied solely to those who malfunction or are infected. Take Repliforce for example.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #615 on: October 28, 2010, 08:46:18 PM
I thought most MMX fans saw "going Maverick/going Irregular" the same way and just used whichever term they preferred?

Also thought interpretation of similar terms was the least of anyone's MMX-fan-related problems. :/

We're talking about whether or not localization can muddle the correct interpretation and intended meaning of a concept by changing the exact word used. Cited were Decoy and Carbon. Irregular and Maverick, and so on.

When I wrote about the subtle distinction between Irregular and Maverick, it was specifically raised as an example in in X8-centric discussion. Within the context of X8, the meaning of the label is of vital importance to our understanding.

As far as the label Irregular or Maverick goes, I don't think it really ever applied solely to those who malfunction or are infected. Take Repliforce for example.

It is not solely applied to those malfunctioning or infected, but its definition does mean such. That is why, when the Repliforce were branded as Irregulars, they hated it; they didn't want to be considered Irregulars. Not because of the consequence, as they were already at war; they hated it because the very label hurts their pride. They do not want to be considered as mere malfunctions.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #616 on: October 28, 2010, 08:58:10 PM
So let me see if I got this straight:
Irregular as in irregularity in the brain that causes reploids to rebel against humans (a physical defect)
Maverick as in Sigma's faction (and any free-willed reploid can join him)

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #617 on: October 28, 2010, 09:15:26 PM
So let me see if I got this straight:
Irregular as in irregularity in the brain that causes reploids to rebel against humans (a physical defect)
Maverick as in Sigma's faction (and any free-willed reploid can join him)

And yet both defects and free-willed bastardry happen in the series; it's just that the Hunters tend to assume that all/most Mavericks/Irregulars/whatever are defects. I think.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #618 on: October 28, 2010, 09:50:37 PM
I suppose an infected reploid would be an Irregular (and Maverick).

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #619 on: October 28, 2010, 10:19:26 PM

I've always preferred to use both synonymously (I.E. Switching between "Maverick" and "Irregular" during a conversation about MMX, so I won't confuse a fellow fan), I blame Magma Dragoon's mistranslation for that. :P

Quote from: MMX4
He betrayed the Irregular Hunters and hid himself inside a volcano.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #620 on: October 28, 2010, 10:43:46 PM
Actually it says that he betrayed the "Iregular" hunters

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #621 on: October 28, 2010, 10:48:34 PM
Actually it says that he betrayed the "Iregular" hunters

Yeah, basically. Capcom also makes mistakes every now and then. :P

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Frozen Potato

• The Unamused Blue Haired
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #622 on: October 29, 2010, 12:04:31 AM
Im guessing they forgot to change that.  8D

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #623 on: October 29, 2010, 04:25:35 AM
That would only be a problem if the X6 version of the X5 Armor would have been the Fifth Armor.
X6's Falcon was a repair Job, while X5's Fourth was a recreation though, no?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #624 on: October 29, 2010, 02:41:08 PM
Correct.  At least, as far as I can remember.

They never actually mention the "Fourth Armor" being a replica in X5, but Alia specifically mentions having had to repair the Falcon Armor at the start of 6 (which is the in-game reason for why the removed its flight ability).

Presumably, that's also why the Fourth Armor can no longer hover in X5.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.