Hayate no Gotoku

Alice in Entropy · 2539

Offline Alice in Entropy

• Genderifically Confuzzled
  • Master's Unit
  • MAKE LOVE FOR MY KITTENS
    • View Profile
on: July 08, 2010, 02:59:08 AM
Quite frankly, I'm rather shocked and saddened that there isn't already a thread for this cute, colourful, wacky and hilarious manga/anime. I know that a few RPMers are fans of the series and, at least in my case, the adorably eccentric cast of characters.

Quote from: TV Tropes
Sixteen-year-old Hayate is really down on his luck. Because his unemployed parents are good-for-nothings who waste what money they have on gambling, Hayate had to start working at a young age to help out his family.

Although such experience has made him inhumanly fast and tough (he can catch up to a speeding car on his bicycle and knock out a tiger with a single punch) and skilled at things boys aren't normally skilled at, it has also left him in an awkward position. His parents have racked up such a huge debt that they have sold Hayate to "nice men". In a desperate attempt to avoid this fate, Hayate decides to become a "bad guy" and kidnap someone to be held for ransom, but his efforts are mistaken by the girl he targets as a confession of love.

When he helps save the (as it turns out) ultra-wealthy 13-year-old Nagi from real kidnappers, she takes him in and gives him a job as her new personal butler (and love interest) until he can pay off his debt, which will take about 40 years. But Hayate is more attracted to Nagi's beautiful teenage maid Maria, and head butler Klaus is initially disapproving of the boy with such a poor look. And then there's Nagi's pet tiger, Tama, and Nagi's various social peers.

While it sounds like the setup for a gooey romantic comedy (and sometimes the show is just that) Hayate refuses to take anything in its universe the slightest bit seriously. Characters routinely reference the fictional nature of their existence, thinly-veiled parodies of characters from other anime wander on and offscreen for no reason, and people do otherwise illogical things for the express purpose of "advancing the plot."

But then, there is a story arc in the manga as well; events that were originally just jokes have had their backstories explained; and there is a continual thread involving Hayate's past and the origins of his abilities, Nagi's mother, a Mineral Mac Guffin, the Sanzenin and Tachibana family, a girl and a magical castle.

A second season, animated by J.C. Staff, aired in 2009. It follows the manga more closely and has a much higher animation budget.

Oh yeah, this series has been licensed by Bandai Entertainment. Unfortunately, they released the series subbed-only feeling that the series would not be a big hit (and may probably not dub the series). There is a dub made by Red Angel Media, although it is limited to the Southeast Asian viewers.

Based on the manga by Kenjirou Hata.

Discuss.

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 03:17:31 AM
Entertaining. But maybe it shouldn't have taken the whole Athena thing so seriously.
It never ends.

Good call on TVTropes.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 09:04:57 AM
There is one perk throughout this whole anime.
Hayate. Cross-dressing. The devious looks on Nagi and Maria while doing so. 8D

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 09:10:29 AM
I should look into this then.

Also, didn't we decide we were chars in this on IRC or something.

I don't think we ever decided upon who I was...

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Night

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 02:08:33 PM
Hinagiku is <3

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 02:11:58 PM
H-I-N-A-Hinagiku! Hi-Hi!

Offline Alice in Entropy

• Genderifically Confuzzled
  • Master's Unit
  • MAKE LOVE FOR MY KITTENS
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 02:50:33 PM
I'm kind of wondering if the sudden shift from hectic lunacy to more realistic comedy was planned in advance by the author. Still, I think it's pretty cool how things suddenly make more sense now. I was especiallly shocked (and in laughter) at the revelation that [spoiler]Mikado is Santa.[/spoiler]

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 03:01:51 PM
Wait. SERIOUSLY!? D:

Offline Hiryu

• Capcom's Favorite futuristic ninja
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 07:40:22 PM
Heard of this a couple of times, but never managed to watch it.

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 08:20:43 PM
Wait. SERIOUSLY!? D:
If you go back to the first episode (or chapter) you can see the resemblance.

Heard of this a couple of times, but never managed to watch it.
Try the manga.

Although have any of you read the manga mainly?

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 08:31:29 PM
Anime person here.
And it's been too long since I last saw Season 1, which I think you are refering to.